Apple to ban film-based screen protectors from company stores

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Consumers seeking a protective film for the screen on their iPhone, iPod, iPad or Mac will soon have to look outside of Apple's retail stores, which will soon halt sales of the accessories indefinitely.



Citing sources at a number of iPhone and iPod accessory makers, iLounge claims that Apple has been in dialog with these vendors for "some time now" regarding the impending ban.



"Apple has said that it will removeÂ*both film-only solutions from its stores, as well as any case or other accessory that includes film protection as part of its package, such as cases that include film screen protectors," according to the report.



It adds that the ban -- which covers film protectors for iPods, iPhones, iPads, and Mac -- will impact all forms of screen film, "including completely clear film, anti-glare film, and mirrored film, regardless of whether the purpose of the film is protective, decorative, or both."



The move, which goes into effect in May, will reportedly represent a significant setback for screen film vendors, who generate a large portion of their sales through Apple's online and brick-and-mortar retail stores.



A quick check at AppleStore.com shows that an anti-glare film protector from market leader Power Support is the top selling item listed as part of the store's "Cases" department, while similar offerings for the iPhone and iPod rank as the 6th and 7th most popular "Accessories" overall, respectively.







In usual Apple fashion, the company is remaining mum on the motives behind its decision. Left to speculate, one film vendor suggested the ban may be an attempt by electronics maker to better promote the durability of its display screens, this despite widespread reports of scratches appearing quite easily on its handheld offerings for years.



Beginning with the release of the iPhone 3GS last June, Apple also debuted an oil-based, "fingerprint-resistant" oleophobic coating on the handset which is rendered useless if a protective film is adhered on top of it. Therefore, it's possible that plans for more widespread use of this technology across all of Apple's offerings could also serve as a reason for the ban.
«13456713

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 248
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,743member
    this despite widespread reports of scratches appearing quite easily on its handheld offerings for years.





    Apple device screens are among the most durable and scratch-resistant you'll ever find. There's no actual need for any screen protection.



    As for the ban, screen protection kind of defeats the purpose of oleophobic coatings, and does send the message that Apple's screens are in need of protection.



    I've stopped using plastic screen protectors for my iPhone long ago, preferring a nice, thin, plastic/transparent backing. Works great.



    Further, you can get your screen protectors elsewhere, just not in Apple Stores. No big deal.
  • Reply 2 of 248
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    ... In usual Apple fashion, the company is remaining mum on the motives behind its decision. Left to speculate, one film vendor suggested the ban may be an attempt by electronics maker to better promote the durability of its display screens, this despite widespread reports of scratches appearing quite easily on its handheld offerings for years. ...



    This is totally false, or at best the existence of the "reports" is true, even though they have no basis in fact.



    I think you should back this nonsense up or remove it from the article. We aren't Republican's here. You can't just repeat lies over and over until they are believed.



    Other than a few nutbars with videos on YouTube of dubious authenticity, there are no "widespread reports" of problems with the iPhone screen scratching. The only serious attempts at testing the durability of the screen that I've seen show people scratching really hard across the surface with sets of keys without leaving a scratch. In fact, it's very very difficult to scratch an iPhone screen. It's tougher than any of the silly plastic coverings for sale that supposedly "protect it."



    I wouldn't mind betting that Apple removed them because they don't want to get involved in a fraud lawsuit for selling products that actually don't do anything close to what they are advertised as doing. It's borderline fraud to be selling a plastic screen "protector" for a hardened, tempered glass screen.



    You may want a full-fledged case for your iPhone and the chrome ring and the plastic back will certainly get scuffed, but the *last* thing you need protection for is the tough glass screen.
  • Reply 3 of 248
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    this despite widespread reports of scratches appearing quite easily on its handheld offerings for years.





    Apple device screens are among the most durable and scratch-resistant you'll ever find. There's no actual need for any screen protection.



    As for the ban, screen protection kind of defeats the purpose of oleophobic coatings, and does send the message that Apple's screens are in need of protection.



    I've stopped using plastic screen protectors for my iPhone long ago, preferring a nice, thin, plastic/transparent backing. Works great.



    Further, you can get your screen protectors elsewhere, just not in Apple Stores. No big deal.



    GorillaGlass I believe it's called? I know my ZHD has it, but I'm certain my DROID has it. In and out of my pockets and carrying pouches and not a single scratch.



    But either way, I agree that screen protectors aren't really needed any more. Decorative and anti-glare might be the last legs they stand on. And for the paranoid consumer who doesn't know of the strengths of these screens.
  • Reply 4 of 248
    People who cover their iPhone screen are just as likely to cover their furniture with plastic. It gets in the way and doesn't look as good.



    I've had iPhones from Day 1 and never had a scratch on the screen.



    Smart move by Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    As for the ban, screen protection kind of defeats the purpose of oleophobic coatings, and does send the message that Apple's screens are in need of protection.



    They do need. iPod Touch doesn't have any oleophobic coating
  • Reply 6 of 248
    kspenkspen Posts: 4member
    I love my Oleophobic screen protector I got from a China supplier.



    http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
  • Reply 7 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    this despite widespread reports of scratches appearing quite easily on its handheld offerings for years.





    Apple device screens are among the most durable and scratch-resistant you'll ever find. There's no actual need for any screen protection.



    As for the ban, screen protection kind of defeats the purpose of oleophobic coatings, and does send the message that Apple's screens are in need of protection.



    I've stopped using plastic screen protectors for my iPhone long ago, preferring a nice, thin, plastic/transparent backing. Works great.



    Further, you can get your screen protectors elsewhere, just not in Apple Stores. No big deal.



    That sounds ridiculous at best. "It sends a message that Apple screens are in need of protection"? Maybe for some, maybe not for others. This sounds preposterous. At first I thought maybe the protectors where damaging the screens as the reason for pulling them. I love Apple. Been loving Apple since I was a kid with an Apple II. But Apple seems so image over conscience these days. More so then ever.



    Or perhaps I am wrong. If the screens actually do nothing to protect them... get rid of them before apple gets a lawsuit.
  • Reply 8 of 248
    you guys are all insane. My iPhone 2G got scratched the first week, I got a screen protector. My GF's touch has a huge scratch in the front because was kept with keys without a protection.



    Also, the oleophobic coating feels sticky when you drag something, the screen protector makes easier.



    But again, you're all insane, you can't be THAT much of a Cool Aid drinker for a company that CHARGES you for products. Seriously.
  • Reply 9 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chicago Troy View Post


    People who cover their iPhone screen are just as likely to cover their furniture with plastic. It gets in the way and doesn't look as good.



    I've had iPhones from Day 1 and never had a scratch on the screen.



    Smart move by Apple.



    Same here. I have had all iPhones since launch day of first gen. I have never used a case and never used a protective screen film/cover. I carry my phone lose in my pocket. My iPhone's have always been immaculate and scratch free. I must say though the oleophobic coating added on the 3Gs is phenomenal, make a world of difference.
  • Reply 10 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


    This is totally false, or at best the existence of the "reports" is true, even though they have no basis in fact.



    I think you should back this nonsense up or remove it from the article. We aren't Republican's here. You can't just repeat lies over and over until they are believed.



    Other than a few nutbars with videos on YouTube of dubious authenticity, there are no "widespread reports" of problems with the iPhone screen scratching. The only serious attempts at testing the durability of the screen that I've seen show people scratching really hard across the surface with sets of keys without leaving a scratch. In fact, it's very very difficult to scratch an iPhone screen. It's tougher than any of the silly plastic coverings for sale that supposedly "protect it."



    I wouldn't mind betting that Apple removed them because they don't want to get involved in a fraud lawsuit for selling products that actually don't do anything close to what they are advertised as doing. It's borderline fraud to be selling a plastic screen "protector" for a hardened, tempered glass screen.



    You may want a full-fledged case for your iPhone and the chrome ring and the plastic back will certainly get scuffed, but the *last* thing you need protection for is the tough glass screen.



    Generally true. But the article may be refering to reports of the original iPods up to the video iPod that still had the plastic front. Those would scratch just looking at them... I know, I still have four of them. but I agree the iPhone and iPod Tuoch are super resistent to scratching... I don't use film on my 3GS and it goes in an out of my jean pocket and has no scrathes, plus the coatying the put on is a godsend... one wipe and all is clean!



    I am sure the iPad will be the same in durability and "cleanability".
  • Reply 11 of 248
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member
    having 3 iphones in our house, there is not a scratch on any of them. I suspect this ban is becuase of the severe performance degradation of the touch screen those these films. They are far less respsonsive than those without.
  • Reply 12 of 248
    woodewoode Posts: 67member
    For this article to be more useful, I recommend this:



    s/ban/no longer sell/g



    There, that's better. "Ban" is a bit sensationalistic, don't you think? If Apple decides to not sell something in their stores, it's their prerogative. And screen protectors are a dime-a-dozen on eBay and elsewhere. Big deal.
  • Reply 13 of 248
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Incidentally, while out-and-about in the last week, I've seen 2 people using their iPhones with big cracks on the top half of the screen. Both were using the keyboard-half fine though. Strange coincidence - they were hundreds of miles away from each other.



    A friend of mine persuaded Apple to replace his iPhone as it was cracked, even though it was out of warranty.
  • Reply 14 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dvassallo View Post


    Same here. I have had all iPhones since launch day of first gen. I have never used a case and never used a protective screen film/cover. I carry my phone lose in my pocket. My iPhone's have always been immaculate and scratch free. I must say though the oleophobic coating added on the 3Gs is phenomenal, make a world of difference.



    It is indeed, but when you buy a iPhone 3GS and a week later it gets a considerable size scratch in the side of the screen by keeping in same pocket as coins, you wonder who is talking nonsense here

    After battling with Apple UK, etc..., they repaired the screen for £50, as one of their answers was: "sorry sir, but it is not designed to give full scratch protection, even less if in contact with coins or keys".

    So, I bought a Zagg screen protector (and back protector too) and works great, doesn't really loose much feel, it does really protect it against any scratches (none yet on the actual screen) and you can't see it at all. Yes, I would prefer not to have it, but I don't want to keep getting scratches every 2 months. I don't know, we here in the UK might get rubbish screens, or our coins are heavier or sharper, but it does definitively happens (and heard about a few people with the same problem).

    Cheers
  • Reply 15 of 248
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    This seems like a silly move. If the iPhone / iPod Touch screens don't need a film protector they won't sell. I have an iPhone 3G and after using it for a few days, I added an anti-glare, anti-fingerprint screen protector because I couldn't stand the glare or fingerprints.



    Apple's censors are hard at work. They should simply let the customer decide whether they need a protector or not.
  • Reply 16 of 248
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    this despite widespread reports of scratches appearing quite easily on its handheld offerings for years.





    Apple device screens are among the most durable and scratch-resistant you'll ever find. There's no actual need for any screen protection.



    As for the ban, screen protection kind of defeats the purpose of oleophobic coatings, and does send the message that Apple's screens are in need of protection.



    I've stopped using plastic screen protectors for my iPhone long ago, preferring a nice, thin, plastic/transparent backing. Works great.



    Further, you can get your screen protectors elsewhere, just not in Apple Stores. No big deal.



    you're insane



    my BB Curve 8330 is a lot tougher and can withstand a lot more punishment than my 3GS that has rubber cover for it as well as a screen protector
  • Reply 17 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuckyMethod View Post


    you guys are all insane. My iPhone 2G got scratched the first week, I got a screen protector. My GF's touch has a huge scratch in the front because was kept with keys without a protection.



    Also, the oleophobic coating feels sticky when you drag something, the screen protector makes easier.



    But again, you're all insane, you can't be THAT much of a Cool Aid drinker for a company that CHARGES you for products. Seriously.



    Perhaps your screen feels sticky for another adult related reason. 3 iPhones, 3 years, no scratches. The only protection it has is whatever it came with. It sits in my pocket all day, with my keys.
  • Reply 18 of 248
    shogunshogun Posts: 360member
    The iPad case is rumored to be a huuuge seller. Perhaps an iPhone case is in the mix for the new iPhone version 4. makes sense...
  • Reply 19 of 248
    maccadmaccad Posts: 79member
    I used screen protectors for my Palm PDAs. You could scratch their plastic screens by just looking at them. I've had three iPhones all naked and not a scratch on them. Protecting a glass screen with a plastic sheet makes as much sense as applying a plastic sheet to your car's windshield. The oleophobic coating is great. Good for Apple. Time to stop this little bit of insanity and ignorance.
  • Reply 20 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvet8b View Post


    It is indeed, but when you buy a iPhone 3GS and a week later it gets a considerable size scratch in the side of the screen by keeping in same pocket as coins, you wonder who is talking nonsense here



    With coins? Pretty sure no one is trying that except in torture tests.
Sign In or Register to comment.