Apple to ban film-based screen protectors from company stores

Comments

• Reply 141 of 248
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Apple has become the new Microsoft.

So . . . Apple rolls out third-rate products and whores out its OS to every fly-by-night box-assembler with no regard for the User Experience?

Apple pushes this industry forward. Microsoft pushes Windows.

Both companies have COMPLETELY different approaches to tech, and completely different attitudes in terms of their vision of how the average user's relationship with technology should be.
  • Reply 142 of 248
    Quote:

I guess that must be why the iPhone's marketshare is declining and Android's is increasing, huh.

Ooh! Is this one of those "don't feed the troll" things I've read so much about?

Just in case it's not, and since I've got a big render going anyway, lemme take a sec to explain all the myriad ways in which what you said was dumb.

First of all, it's totally impossible to say anything meaningful about the relative market shares of two products when one of them has been on the market for nearly three years and the other only debuted last fall. The Nexus Droid or whatever it's called could be the greatest thing since bacon-flavored ice cream, and the market share numbers wouldn't reflect it, because not enough time has passed.

Second, saying "is declining" and "is increasing" is meaningless unless you specify a period of time. If you measure from 2005 to 2010, both market shares have grown infinitely, because neither product existed at all back then. On the other hand, if you get too granular in your period of time —*like day-over-day —*then the data becomes too noisy to be meaningful. Did the iPhone market share go up or down since lunch? Even if we knew, it wouldn't mean anything, because the trend isn't significant.

So that gives us our parameters: we need to look at a small enough period of time that the noise is smoothed out, but long enough to spot a meaningful trend. That's why analysts tend to restrict themselves to year-over-year data. It smooths out seasonal ebbs and flows — for example, iPhone sales spiked dramatically immediately following the three to-date product launches — and lets you spot meaningful trends.

Trouble is, the Nexoid or whatever hasn't existed for a year. If we look at year-over-year numbers, again, we get a growth rate of infinity. That's not meaningful.

So short version? There's nothing meaningful to say about Android market share numbers right now. Wait until next January or so, then there will be enough data to see trends.

If we look at absolute sales numbers instead, Apple has shipped more phones than anybody else but RIM, while Android phones are owned by like twelve people worldwide. Seriously, the gulf is that broad. The Android sales figures as so tiny that when you put them on the same scale as the iPhone sales figures, they round down to zero.

Does this mean iPhone roolz and Android droolz? Of course not. That may be true, or the opposite may be true, but we have no way of guessing from the sales figures alone.

If you want to ignite an iPhone versus Android flame war …*well, go do it someplace else, because that's not what we're talking about here, and flame wars are boring anyway. But once you find that magical happy land where everybody is angry all the time and no one can spell, don't pick a fight with industry statistics that are so fresh as to be worse than meaningless, huh? You can do better than that. Accuse the iPhone buyers of being fascists. Question their sexuality or political affiliations. Then everybody will see how jaw-droppingly awesome you are, instead of just rolling their eyes and scrolling down.
  • Reply 143 of 248
    What I can't understand is how we can have so many users that have such extremely opposite experiences.

User A: I had a few coins in my pocket and it scraped my screen.

User B: I've throw mine through the blender and nothing. Screen is indestructable.

Mine: I used a screen protector on my 2G and for about a week on my 3G iphone but than I ditched it. (Didn't like the feel.) Two sets of keys are in my pocket with the iPhone and at work I'm walking and climbing all day and not a mark after 2 years. I even accidently dropped the phone off a 4" high water heater and had it land on rough concrete on the screen side and nothing.

How can the same phones screens be so different for different users?
  • Reply 144 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post

Ooh! Is this one of those "don't feed the troll" things I've read so much about?

Just in case it's not, and since I've got a big render going anyway, lemme take a sec to explain all the myriad ways in which what you said was dumb.

First of all, it's totally impossible to say anything meaningful about the relative market shares of two products when one of them has been on the market for nearly three years and the other only debuted last fall. The Nexus Droid or whatever it's called could be the greatest thing since bacon-flavored ice cream, and the market share numbers wouldn't reflect it, because not enough time has passed.

Second, saying "is declining" and "is increasing" is meaningless unless you specify a period of time. If you measure from 2005 to 2010, both market shares have grown infinitely, because neither product existed at all back then. On the other hand, if you get too granular in your period of time ?*like day-over-day ?*then the data becomes too noisy to be meaningful. Did the iPhone market share go up or down since lunch? Even if we knew, it wouldn't mean anything, because the trend isn't significant.

So that gives us our parameters: we need to look at a small enough period of time that the noise is smoothed out, but long enough to spot a meaningful trend. That's why analysts tend to restrict themselves to year-over-year data. It smooths out seasonal ebbs and flows ? for example, iPhone sales spiked dramatically immediately following the three to-date product launches ? and lets you spot meaningful trends.

Trouble is, the Nexoid or whatever hasn't existed for a year. If we look at year-over-year numbers, again, we get a growth rate of infinity. That's not meaningful.

So short version? There's nothing meaningful to say about Android market share numbers right now. Wait until next January or so, then there will be enough data to see trends.

If we look at absolute sales numbers instead, Apple has shipped more phones than anybody else but RIM, while Android phones are owned by like twelve people worldwide. Seriously, the gulf is that broad. The Android sales figures as so tiny that when you put them on the same scale as the iPhone sales figures, they round down to zero.

Does this mean iPhone roolz and Android droolz? Of course not. That may be true, or the opposite may be true, but we have no way of guessing from the sales figures alone.

If you want to ignite an iPhone versus Android flame war ?*well, go do it someplace else, because that's not what we're talking about here, and flame wars are boring anyway. But once you find that magical happy land where everybody is angry all the time and no one can spell, don't pick a fight with industry statistics that are so fresh as to be worse than meaningless, huh? You can do better than that. Accuse the iPhone buyers of being fascists. Question their sexuality or political affiliations. Then everybody will see how jaw-droppingly awesome you are, instead of just rolling their eyes and scrolling down.

Hell *I* feel owned, and you weren't even addressing me!
  • Reply 145 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Headrush69 View Post

What I can't understand is how we can have so many users that have such extremely opposite experiences.

User A: I had a few coins in my pocket and it scraped my screen.

User B: I've throw mine through the blender and nothing. Screen is indestructable.

Mine: I used a screen protector on my 2G and for about a week on my 3G iphone but than I ditched it. (Didn't like the feel.) Two sets of keys are in my pocket with the iPhone and at work I'm walking and climbing all day and not a mark after 2 years. I even accidently dropped the phone off a 4" high water heater and had it land on rough concrete on the screen side and nothing.

How can the same phones screens be so different for different users?

The experiences *aren't* actually different. There is the average experience, and then there are deliberate obfuscations, anecdotal complaints magnified out of proportion, and downright lies in order to stir the pot and find *anything* - no matter how miniscule, to turn back the tidal wave of positive Apple news.

The tests have been done. The results are in. iPhone screens are, under normal use, extremely durable. Customer satisfaction with them is astronomical. Anything contrary to that reality is outside the norm, therefore an exception, and therefore not worth paying any attention to.

This sort of perspective going in to the debate makes life a lot easier. Just look at the official numbers, the reports on trends, video test footage, etc.
  • Reply 146 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Funny thing is, no one outside the minority complaining on these Apple fansites actually gives a damn. Know why? Because it's not worth caring about. This will have as much effect on Apple as their decision to use track lighting in some stores instead of pot lights.

Given the popularity of screen protectors in terms of sales and usage, in actuality the people here praising this as a smart move is in the minority. I'm sure many casual iDevice users (aka not tech geeks or Apple denizens) will be upset by this change. After all, it is those same mainstream consumers who are the ones that buy en masse and drive sales, not the hardcore fan.

I get how it is completely the choice of Apple to make these moves. But the rabid defense of any Apple criticism has gotten out of hand. Every time someone is dissatisfied with a business move made by Apple they are immediately told "if you don't like it, go elsewhere." That argument is further delegitimized by accusing anyone of disliking that move as a "microsoft fanboy" or a "google fanboy."

Whatever happened to healthy criticism?
  • Reply 147 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

They were probably tired of complaints that they fall off, don't work, etc.

Apple probably got tired of handling the returns that went with the complaints.

I'd love to meet the person who can install a screen protector without getting bubbles under it. They could make a fortune!

As for carrying your iPhone with your keys and change, WTF? Anything made of glass & plastic is gonna get wrecked in that kind of environment. What happened to the phone pouch??
  • Reply 148 of 248
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymous guy View Post

Given the popularity of screen protectors in terms of sales and usage, in actuality the people here praising this as a smart move is in the minority. I'm sure many casual iDevice users will be upset by this change.

I get how it is completely the choice of Apple to make these moves. But the rabid defense of any Apple criticism has gotten out of hand. Every time someone is dissatisfied with a business move made by Apple they are immediately told "if you don't like it, go elsewhere." That argument is further delegitimized by accusing anyone of disliking that move as a "microsoft fanboy" or a "google fanboy."

we must be reading different threads, I see no one calling another person "microsoft fanboy" or a "google fanboy." here. Do you mind pointing me to one of those posts?

Like I said I am furious at apple for banning everyone from buying or selling screen protectors, so I am on your side!
  • Reply 149 of 248
    Quote:

Given the popularity of screen protectors in terms of sales and usage, in actuality the people here praising this as a smart move is in the minority. I'm sure many casual iDevice users will be upset by this change.

A lot of the criticisms against Apple are hardly what you'd call "legitimate." Most of them have no actual basis in reality. Now, that might be a matter of perspective, at the end of the day. In which case I'll voice my perspective, and you can voice yours. And when it's all said and done Apple's numbers and general consumer reaction will decide who has the rights of the argument.

Historically, criticisms of Apple on these Apple fansites get derailed by Apple rather quickly. But just because you're wrong doesn't mean you have no right to keep on believing what you believe.
  • Reply 150 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

we must be reading different threads, I see no one calling another person "microsoft fanboy" or a "google fanboy." here. Do you mind pointing me to one of those posts?

Like I said I am furious at apple for banning everyone from buying or making screen protectors, so I am on your side!

It's in plenty of other threads. The android and apple lawsuit threads seem to bring everyone out of the woodwork.
  • Reply 151 of 248
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:

It's in plenty of other threads. The android and apple lawsuit threads seem to bring everyone out of the woodwork.

So it's on other threads. That's alright, because as we all know this is Apple fanboys VS Screen protector fanboys on this one.

Other fanboys please leave now!
  • Reply 152 of 248
    Quote:

It got drowned out by morons.

Seriously, for every person who's ever expressed a thoughtful, considered opinion about Apple's products or company strategy, there are ten thousand screaming teenagers who wouldn't know a business plan if it walked up to them and introduced itself and who insist with the tenacity of a great white shark that putting an iPhone in a silk-lined pocket with a handful of gummy bears is a recipe for the scratchpocalypse.

Healthy criticism must, by definition, be healthy. Slinging nonsense and hyperbole just to pass the time during a boring weekday afternoon is not healthy.
  • Reply 153 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

So it's on other threads. That's alright, because as we all know this is Apple fanboys VS Screen protector fanboys on this one.

Other fanboys please leave now!

oh gosh :3

looks like someone's frustrated over opinions on the Internet ^_^
  • Reply 154 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post

It got drowned out by morons.

Seriously, for every person who's ever expressed a thoughtful, considered opinion about Apple's products or company strategy, there are ten thousand screaming teenagers who wouldn't know a business plan if it walked up to them and introduced itself and who insist with the tenacity of a great white shark that putting an iPhone in a silk-lined pocket with a handful of gummy bears is a recipe for the scratchpocalypse.

Healthy criticism must, by definition, be healthy. Slinging nonsense and hyperbole just to pass the time during a boring weekday afternoon is not healthy.

What people don't seem to understand is that experience with scratches and wear is completely different from user to user. You may go years with a naked iPhone and barely get so much as a scratch, while others get a scuffed up handheld in two days.

People can present all the empirical data they want on wear and strength of materials, but ultimately data doesn't always explain the inevitable variation on quality from a user to user basis.

Cases and screen protectors wouldn't be such a big iDevice market if they were notorious for their ability to keep their appearance after daily use. Perhaps they should make durability a point of the next iPhone keynote if the device is more resistant to wear.
  • Reply 155 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The experiences *aren't* actually different. There is the average experience, and then there are deliberate obfuscations, anecdotal complaints magnified out of proportion, and downright lies in order to stir the pot and find *anything* - no matter how miniscule, to turn back the tidal wave of positive Apple news.

The tests have been done. The results are in. iPhone screens are, under normal use, extremely durable. Customer satisfaction with them is astronomical. Anything contrary to that reality is outside the norm, therefore an exception, and therefore not worth paying any attention to.

This sort of perspective going in to the debate makes life a lot easier. Just look at the official numbers, the reports on trends, video test footage, etc.

I'm sure the ad wizards have figured this out already, but your finger might not be on the pulse of trends. They aren't many 'numbers' on scratched vs. unscratched iPhones. I'll bet there's not an unscratched iPhone in the wild. If you've got one, zoom in real close and post some pictures.

Of course the iPhone is awesome. I wouldn't be on my 4th if it wasn't. Especially compared to the testicular pain that is Google. However awesome it is, no device is indestructible, everything is susceptible to age and wear. But I've also seen a screen shatter after break falling off a couch onto plush carpet. If geeks online are doing stress tests, expect the results to lean away from those with a normal amount of muscle tone/strength.
    • Some people just like to stick things in places unprotected.

• People that like to engage in risky behaviors, try to tell people it's safe.

• Reality is not on their side.

Sure, 9/10 times nothing might to happen to your little device.

But you don't use a condom for the things that won't stick to your "iPod".

Should I hammer this home by pointing out that while Apple stuff rules, every laptop eventually gets those little marks from the keyboard on the screen? Why would the iPhone be any different? Fantasy land, forum 1-up nonsense.
  • Reply 156 of 248
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Quote:

A criticism can only be healthy if based on either tangible success or failure of a business decision. Otherwise a criticism is just a criticism.

To guide you along the path of healthy criticism, please read the enlightening post by Tomfoolery; 1592668

• Reply 157 of 248
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    About the key test, are all keys made of brass or bronze? They are relatively soft metals, maybe there are others used, I can't find any references. I know my key ring is made of plated steel, maybe that's what scratched it. I try to avoid having any metals in the same pocket as the phone, but I did get scratches from something just one evening.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

iLounge often seems to have an anti-Apple, pro-accessory bias, possibly connected to their advertising revenue. I say “seems” because I’m not ready to pass definite judgement on that.

It seems like they could capitalize on it though. Anyone visiting their site is on the internet, all they need to do is set up referral kickbacks with vendors that do sell the films.
  • Reply 158 of 248
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,295member
    I know that trying to say something sensible in this thread is like pissing in the wind, but here goes...

It has already been mentioned up-thread; the iPad is coming. That requires shelf space. The iPad has new, first-party accessories. That requires shelf space. The iPad will have a truckload of third-party accessories. That requires shelf space. Now let's see... What products in the Apple stores can be removed to make room for the new product category and accompanying accessories? How about screen protectors? In addition to causing Apple no end of trouble for all the reasons stated above, they are not really necessary and they take up a whole lot of needed shelf space. They are all third party products, so the profit margin is likely minimal. Can you think of a better item to remove? Me either. It wouldn't surprise me if an iPad screen protector was one of the new products that occupy the newly freed shelf space. I doubt it, though.

The real take away is that the anti-Apple FUD has never been higher. The haters are frothing at the mouth and have never been more shrill. This is just the latest attack on the "Apple is too restrictive" front. All of this sounds like a "Molly rant." Those who listen to BOL know what i"m talking about.
  • Reply 159 of 248
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Actually, Apple does listen.

They just don't react to everything their customers ask for.

There is a difference, it's subtle but it's there.

Kind of like praying to God. He never does what you ask him too, but that doesn't mean hes not listening!
  • Reply 160 of 248
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I guess that must be why the iPhone's marketshare is declining and Android's is increasing, huh.

Except, you know, not, outside of North America. But you go ahead on seize on the talking point du jour and repeat it as often as possible, as is customary with your peoples.