Apple has pre-sold "hundreds of thousands" of iPads

Comments

• Reply 61 of 219
    People keep saying that this device hasn't been tested...but it has. For all intents and purposes, it IS just an oversized iPhone/Touch. I've been using my iPhone for quite some time now, and I think that I know what to expect from the iPad.

A Bigger Screen.

That's all I want. A bigger screen. Rumor has it that it's more "zippy" than the iPhone, but that's just bonus points really.

I want to be able to hold it in my hand and remote access my movie collection on my desktop. I can already do this from my iPhone, so it shouldn't be much of a problem for the iPad.

I want to be able to read books on it. Yay.

I want to be able to surf the net, check email, and maybe type a short document.

I don't need to "test" the thing, and neither does anyone else. We all know how the stupid thing works by now. If you don't, use an iPhone, then imagine it with a bigger screen. Some people may think it's silly to pay money for a bigger screen, but we do it all the time for TV's and monitors.

To me, having the capabilities of an iPhone, with a larger screen, and a more comfortable form factor than my laptop for casual use makes this well worth the price.
  • Reply 62 of 219
    Steve Ballmer said so. You can go to the bank on that one.
  • Reply 63 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post

iTunes Remote? If they really do it well? Kick back on the couch, surf, email, and your whole library from your mac is at your fingertips? (to say nothing of the potential of it as a remote for an apple TV!)

This is what I'm waiting for proof of. C'mon steve.

There are apps that almost do that today and more. I control all my AV equipment, see my security cameras, turn on lights, access media libraries all through my iPhone.

The iPhone apps will also work with the iPad and many of the software vendors plan to have direct iPad support for higher resolutions. Check out J9Automation, Creston, Homeseer, etc. Though, not many of those systems work with the Apple TV due to its lack of a dvd/blu ray player.
  • Reply 64 of 219
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

OK - let's get this out of the way:

The online investor guys are making up the numbers, their methodology is flawed, they are fan boys trying to drive the release of the iPad to success - because we all know the device is an abject failure.

The iPad suxxors majorly, it doesn't have:

42 UBS ports

a Blu-ray drive

removeable battery

a front-facing camera

a rear facing camera

a cell chip to make phone calls

GPS

support for 1080p

a real keyboard

a real processor

a real OS (just that stoopid pathetic mobile version of OSX)

enough memory

enough storage space

free unlimited 3G

release with Verizon, TMobile, Sprint, Alltel, Cellular One, Blue Wireless, Bluegrass Cellular, ad nauseam...

AND

there have been scads of tablet before the iPad

AND

all these early adopters are fanbois who spend too much money for glitzy tech that is just a toy, nobody besides them or the great unwashed masses of clueless consumers who don't worship at the altar of featuredom will buy this.

The two highlighted features are the only ones that should have been included.
  • Reply 65 of 219
    jb85jb85 Posts: 33member
    I read somewhere that a lot of those companies making tablets decided to go back to the drawing board because they couldn't beat the price apple put on the iPad. I can't remember where I read that. I wish I could provide a link. I think it was Ars though.
  • Reply 66 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb85 View Post

I read somewhere that a lot of those companies making tablets decided to go back to the drawing board because they couldn't beat the price apple put on the iPad. I can't remember where I read that. I wish I could provide a link. I think it was Ars though.

I would be surprised if that were the case. There are a couple of sub 500 tablets out and there is one a lot of people are watching that is supposed to come in sub-300. We watch in the home automation sphere because we are always looking for good touch screens to embed in a wall, kitchen, etc on the cheap...
  • Reply 67 of 219
    jb85jb85 Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitlnoize View Post

People keep saying that this device hasn't been tested...but it has. For all intents and purposes, it IS just an oversized iPhone/Touch. I've been using my iPhone for quite some time now, and I think that I know what to expect from the iPad.

A Bigger Screen.

That's all I want. A bigger screen. Rumor has it that it's more "zippy" than the iPhone, but that's just bonus points really.

I want to be able to hold it in my hand and remote access my movie collection on my desktop. I can already do this from my iPhone, so it shouldn't be much of a problem for the iPad.

I want to be able to read books on it. Yay.

I want to be able to surf the net, check email, and maybe type a short document.

I don't need to "test" the thing, and neither does anyone else. We all know how the stupid thing works by now. If you don't, use an iPhone, then imagine it with a bigger screen. Some people may think it's silly to pay money for a bigger screen, but we do it all the time for TV's and monitors.

To me, having the capabilities of an iPhone, with a larger screen, and a more comfortable form factor than my laptop for casual use makes this well worth the price.

What app do you use to remote view your movies on your desktop? Im curious I would like to check that out.
  • Reply 68 of 219
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

Steve Ballmer said so. You can go to the bank on that one.

Good. That can only mean it'll be a runaway success!
  • Reply 69 of 219
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

People seem angry by Apple's success.

Those people are just bitter that they didn't buy AAPL below $50/share five years ago.

It closed above $224 today.
  • Reply 70 of 219
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Those people are just bitter that they didn't buy AAPL below $50/share five years ago.

It closed above $224 today.

Imagine the fury when it'll hit $300. I'm totally seeing mass rioting and destruction of property.
  • Reply 71 of 219
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Does everyone know fully what they're even buying?

Yeah, they know what they're buying. Some people like a little adventure in their lives.
  • Reply 72 of 219
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

And yet another useless Apple-bashing troll hits the ignore list. Good job, you're VERY effective.

Yep, that ignore list is fantastic. What surprises me is how utterly useless the comments are of some trolls. It isn't like there are not critical observations that many could find helpful. We just need a better class of critics.
  • Reply 73 of 219
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I'm totally seeing mass rioting and destruction of property.

I think you're talking about when those iPads are purchased and half the websites don't load up.
  • Reply 74 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

OK - let's get this out of the way:

The online investor guys are making up the numbers, their methodology is flawed, they are fan boys trying to drive the release of the iPad to success - because we all know the device is an abject failure.

The iPad suxxors majorly, it doesn't have:

42 UBS ports

a Blu-ray drive

removeable battery

a front-facing camera

a rear facing camera

a cell chip to make phone calls

GPS

support for 1080p

a real keyboard

a real processor

a real OS (just that stoopid pathetic mobile version of OSX)

enough memory

enough storage space

free unlimited 3G

release with Verizon, TMobile, Sprint, Alltel, Cellular One, Blue Wireless, Bluegrass Cellular, ad nauseam...

AND

there have been scads of tablet before the iPad

AND

all these early adopters are fanbois who spend too much money for glitzy tech that is just a toy, nobody besides them or the great unwashed masses of clueless consumers who don't worship at the altar of featuredom will buy this.

You forgot:

-- punched card reader

-- 52" OLED display

-- 5-speed automatic transmission

-- life-size doll (sex of your choice)

• Reply 75 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

The two highlighted features are the only ones that should have been included.

Camera would create adoption problems with business/schools/hospitals/etc, and isn't necessary really: you could just buy a camera add-on and plug it on the dock connector. GPS ****IS**** included in the 3G model
  • Reply 76 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm buying a 16GB 3G iPad for Mother's Day but yet to find a reason to buy one for myself. Still waiting for that "killer app" to appear that makes me say "I've got to have an iPad."

I don't know who or when, but soon, someone is going to give away an iPad when you buy their content-- say a course in real estate, nursing, auto repair, woodworking, etc.

All it takes is one, then: shit, oh dear... Katie bar the door!

• Reply 77 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

What's that old saying- "There's a sucker born every minute."

Steve Jobs is the PT Barnum of the 21st century.

iPad hasn't even been tested yet - what fools.

...didn't PT Barnum aslo deliver "The Greatest Show On Earth"?

• Reply 78 of 219
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

A fool and his money are soon parted

A fool and their lame opinion are unfortunately mated for life - XTREME!!!!!
  • Reply 79 of 219
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quick question; how many fanboys are there?

At tens of thousands, the critics say it is just rabid fanboys. At hundreds of thousands, same thing. How many millions does it take before people admit that Apple products have general, mass appeal? Consider the success of the iMac, iPod, iPhone; there simply aren't enough fanboy nut jobs to account for it. The vast majority of Apple customers are Windows users. Isn't it about time to stop dismissing the overwhelming number of people interested in purchasing this product as fanboys?
  • Reply 80 of 219
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

And yet another useless Apple-bashing troll hits the ignore list. Good job, you're VERY effective.

And yet another post announcing it. Why the need to inform everyone? It's just fodder for them.