Apple has pre-sold "hundreds of thousands" of iPads

Comments

• Reply 121 of 219
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yep, I'm running the iPad simulator on my Mac Pro. It is sweet

Do tell. What app are you working on? If you can't say now, please do once it's available on the App Store.
  • Reply 122 of 219
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

There is another "issue" with iPad - carrying your music and movies (whichever format iPad does play) is a bit of a challenge with 16 or even 32GB storage on iPad... and 64GB is becoming pricey. Yes I know all the advantages of solid-state storage but at the end of the day, 160 (or 250)GB of storage is an advantage for video-watcher on the move.

Maybe you can explain that to the millions of people who use 8 GB iPhones. Granted, it won't carry ALL your music, but easily enough for even a very long trip.

And it's rather odd that you consider the 32 GB ($599) to be OK, but the 64 GB ($699) isn't. just what is the exact dividing line between 'ok' and 'too much' since you seem to know exactly where it is.
  • Reply 123 of 219
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism;

Going by display size the iPad has 8x more surface area.
    Touch = .5.65sqin

.iPad = 45.19sqin
    Going by weight the iPad is 4.5x heavier.
    Touch = 115g

.iPad = 680kg

Geez! I didn't realize the iPad was THAT heavy. Now I'm suddenly not so sure?

But seriously, this debate is getting tiresome. The repeatative nature and intransigence of the naysayers' arguments continue to astound. I understand the argument against buying first revision but it's hardly worth bickering about. The rest is just grandstandng. I keep thinking the anti brigade is ruining it for themselves by being so adament qnd vocal. How will you ever find out if it's any good? You are denying yourselves the possibility to really try it out. My guess is that your pride and prejudice will get in your way.
  • Reply 124 of 219
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I think someone already posted a version of this recently, but here's how it goes:

Prerelease, meh, it sucks, won't sell, Apple gets taken down a notch serves them right.

First numbers, look good, probably Apple propaganda or someone pumping the stock.

Subsequent numbers still good, fan boys will buy anything their lord and master orders them too.

Ongoing strong sales, Apple is the master of marketing and mind control.

Other manufacturers begin to follow suit, including some of the general strategies that made the Apple product so stupid in the first place, mass amnesia that Apple pretty much created the segment and a great deal of smirking about how rival products have better specs or features and the Apple product is declared "tired."

Repeat.
  • Reply 125 of 219
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think someone already posted a version of this recently, but here's how it goes:

Prerelease, meh, it sucks, won't sell, Apple gets taken down a notch serves them right.

First numbers, look good, probably Apple propaganda or someone pumping the stock.

Subsequent numbers still good, fan boys will buy anything their lord and master orders them too.

Other manufacturers begin to follow suit, including some of the general strategies that made the Apple product so stupid in the first place, mass amnesia that Apple pretty much created the segment and a great deal of smirking about how rival products have better specs or features and the Apple product is declared "tired."

Repeat.

Awesome!
  • Reply 126 of 219
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Repeat.

I've posted something like this few days ago with their last reaction being "iPad growth is stagnating" while it is not.
  • Reply 127 of 219
    hauerghauerg Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

HP introduced their Slate before Apple. Which is far more powerful then the iPad.

What exactly do you mean by "introduced"? Which versions of HP slate will be shipping when? Sorry, "will be available later this year" is not an introduction.
  • Reply 128 of 219
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hauerg View Post

What exactly do you mean by "introduced"? Which versions of HP slate will be shipping when? Sorry, "will be available later this year" is not an introduction.

I wouldn't have used "introduced" for the announcement of a device that is still mostly in the planning staged but it's also not incorrect as used.
  • Reply 129 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I've posted something like this few days ago with their last reaction being "iPad growth is stagnating" while it is not.

Right, that's the post I was thinking of!
  • Reply 130 of 219
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mex4eric View Post

No price, no date?

Price competes with the iPad so $499 or less and date will be after the iPad but this year. I think they're waiting to see what the iPad does first and HP can try to replicate most of the key functions in a custom interface on top of Windows 7. They could even have the machine boot into a lesser OS first so it boots and runs very fast for ebooks, widgets etc. and then simply give the choice to run the full Windows 7 OS when a more fully fledged app is required.

Of course HP says they aren't competing with the iPad so it may be up to a 3rd party to do this. But, Android is going to be available and it essentially becomes a big Nexus One/Droid with 30,000 apps and no Windows license.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/01/07/hp-slate-android/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE

A full desktop os on a tablet has been around for years on both windows and mac (modbook). What i don't get is why those who whine about the ipad lack of a desktop os didn't buy one yet!

at least 6 reasons:

- they require a stylus

- they don't use capacitive input so they are inaccurate

- they don't respond to finger-based input/intuitive gestures

- no UIs were specifically designed for touch on them (note I said UI not OS)

- they are too heavy

- they cost too much money (Modbook Pro is $5,000)
  • Reply 131 of 219
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Apple has a fan base that (nearly) always buys their new stuff, so we can't read as much in to these figures as we could with another company. Still, it's a good start.
  • Reply 132 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Apple has a fan base that (nearly) always buys their new stuff, so we can't read as much in to these figures as we could with another company. Still, it's a good start.

Already to point #3.
  • Reply 133 of 219
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

at least 6 reasons:

- they require a stylus

- they don't use capacitive input so they are inaccurate

- they don't respond to finger-based input/intuitive gestures

- no UIs were specifically designed for touch on them (note I said UI not OS)

Which will bring you back to desktop OS are not suitable for such touch based devices. You can design the desktop OS to accept all of what you said (touch UI and no stylus) but how are you going to get developers to optimize their existing desktop software for touch? If you have to buy another touch based version of a software you already own then what's the point of having desktop OS?!

You really can't ask for UI designed for touch without asking for an OS designed for touch. You still need apps designed for touch UI. This is where the iPhone OS comes in play. The iPhone OS is basically Mac OS X designed for touch UI. MS is probably going the same way with the Windows Phone 7 software. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Windows Phone OS on slate PCs instead of Windows 7.

Quote:

- they are too heavy

- they cost too much money (Modbook Pro is $5,000)

Modbooks start at $1850 and Windows tablets cost less.
  • Reply 134 of 219
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

This is an entirely new category midway between a computer and a smart phone. It's not intended to replace your computer. In fact, the iPad is designed to sync with your computer via iTunes on either your Mac or Windows computer.

Apple's betting that they can successfully establish a new category that won't cannibalize sales of their computer or iPhone product line. They don't want it to have all those ports, DVD player, etc.

This is a replacement for stand-alone devices like eBook readers, portable DVD players, portable voice recorders, digital photo frames, etc. It will be better than any laptop in certain situations like watching a movie on an airplane in the coach seats or making a one-on-one sales presentation over lunch at a restaurant.

The Windoze crowd will pan it until Microsoft copies it and put's their name on it. Then they'll want one. That's the way it works with that crowd.

Not sure I agree with the non canniblizing. I have quite a few apple friends that are saying they are going to sell their mbp, get an iMac and ipad.

It's a logical move to some degree. The mbp line might take a hit which hopefully, will force apple to release more powerful mbps.
  • Reply 135 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DougMcNerd View Post

Those of us with first hand experience dealing with Apple products know the risk is very low. This fool preordered a WiFi + 3G. I'll try it out for a while before deciding whether to buy a second one. ;-)

The man has a point though. It is a pretty uninformed purchase. I will wait to play with one. If there was a camera and a couple of other things than maybe i would dive in but v2 sounds like a better bet right now. Still looks like a great product.
  • Reply 136 of 219
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Modbooks start at $1850 and Windows tablets cost less.

So? Windows tablets still run Windows. That's a non-starter for me.

Apple = yes. Linux = maybe. Microsoft = no.
  • Reply 137 of 219
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Yeah, well, I was thinking in terms of multifunctional device that can play media but also do emails, Internet... a few other things. Which both iPad and average netbook are capable of. Carrying dedicated DivX-enabled player plus another device for communications and images is a bit of an overkill.

There is another "issue" with iPad - carrying your music and movies (whichever format iPad does play) is a bit of a challenge with 16 or even 32GB storage on iPad... and 64GB is becoming pricey. Yes I know all the advantages of solid-state storage but at the end of the day, 160 (or 250)GB of storage is an advantage for video-watcher on the move.

I'm saying all this because I agree with you - I will very likely get one for my mother as soon as Skype application is available (or iPhone one confirmed working), but I still don't see a reason to get one for me. At present I'm much more inclined to replace my 15" notebook with something 12 - 13" for travels. I have big grunty desktop, iPhone, couple of consoles... with smaller, travel-friendly laptop, I just don't have real application for iPad at the moment, except for simple joy of having new gadget (which is not to be underestimated )

Divx/Xvid is largely around for Torrents (almost all of which are illegal). If you are making your own, every decent ripper will output to iPhone/Pad h264 formats. Whining about torrents is hardly something Apple should be playing up to. Most movie downloads are less than 1GB which means even the 16GB should manage about 10 while still holding an average song library (about a nano-full) and an bunch of books/apps. Any more than that and you are obviously hitting the rails with your favourite mutt, never to return ;-)

Most iPads will rarely if ever stray from their coffee table, nightstand etc. so will always be within easy reach of a sync for more content. Anyone who stores their entire library on the iPad is missing the point. "Watch it and delete" is the primary mode this will be used in for.

The primary market is not to replace anything... how many times does it have to be said. Your case, as you said is your own.
  • Reply 138 of 219
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Likely the "hundreds of thousands" is a world wide figure.

The iPad is only selling in the US at the moment. It is impossible to pre-order anywhere in the world. The UK will start in late April, for instance.
  • Reply 139 of 219
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Not sure I agree with the non canniblizing. I have quite a few apple friends that are saying they are going to sell their mbp, get an iMac and ipad.

It's a logical move to some degree. The mbp line might take a hit which hopefully, will force apple to release more powerful mbps.

And how can that be bad for Apple?! Two sales instead of one?
  • Reply 140 of 219
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mex4eric View Post

No price, no date?

yah, right, and they claim to have had it done two years ago but didn't want to spend the $$$ "educate the consumer" at the time.

"If we had brought the slate out two years ago when we had it done, think about what the consumer reaction would have been,” he said."

On time my ass. This is a product they're rushing out so match the iPad and they wanted it prior to the iPad launch. They aren't "competing with the iPad" because they know it wont be able to now that it's shipping so much later than the iPad.

"The fruit company"...McKinney is a frigging idiot.