Apple has pre-sold "hundreds of thousands" of iPads

Comments

• Reply 81 of 219
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

...didn't PT Barnum aslo deliver "The Greatest Show On Earth"?

No - that would be Ringling Bros.

Besides- who want shows? Substance is always preferred.
  • Reply 82 of 219
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

HP introduced their Slate before Apple. Which is far more powerful then the iPad.

Your posts seem to veer wildly between mindless troll and considered thinker - this is clearly the former. Ballmer carried a barely functional slate at CES for a few seconds a couple of weeks before Steve demo'd the complete iPad. The Slate has no release date (only a release year) and all the comments of "it'll be good value at $1000" coming out before Jan 27th have withered in the face of iPad pricing... enjoy your Slate if it ever makes it out.
  • Reply 83 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Don't you love it how they bash the iPad because it is "overpriced large iPod Touch" and then they come around and say "only fools will buy something they never tried"?

iPod Touch cost $199 , iPad cost $499. You do the Math.
  • Reply 84 of 219
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Likely the "hundreds of thousands" is a world wide figure.

Nope not order-able world wide . Only in U.S.A.
  • Reply 85 of 219
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

What's that old saying- "There's a sucker born every minute."

Steve Jobs is the PT Barnum of the 21st century.

iPad hasn't even been tested yet - what fools.

Why does it bother you so much that some people like Apple products that you spend half of your life trolling this forum?

Some of us have been buying Apple products for decades - and are completely satisfied enough to expect another hit product.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Agreed, the people who provide these numbers are experts at "lying" with statistics. Take the figure "hundreds of thousands" that have been pre-ordered. That could mean as few as 200,000 iPads. If you believe the first-day sales of 120,000, then as few as 80K might have been sold over the next 5-6 days -- maybe as few as 13K per day. If sales stabilize at that level, more than 1.2 million iPads will be sold in the first 3 months. More precisely about 1.6 million.

At least Skype-like apps will be available and the iPad 3G does have GPS, but probably not the magnetometer found in the iPhone 3GS.

Keep in mind that these numbers don't include orders for pickup at the Apple stores. Some accounts say that number is roughly equal to these numbers. Plus, business preorders are not included. The total might be closer to 500 K at this point.
  • Reply 86 of 219
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I say "puplication/newspaper" because I really believe traditional news papers are dead. There is simply no future in delivering "news" on paper or even as a paid electronic subscription.

What would be worthwhile paying for is computant journalism and insightful articles. Business reporting is or can be worth the money of a subscription to a magazine. Likewise a journal that follows technical and science world without dumbing down for the readers would be welcomed.

Dave
  • Reply 87 of 219
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

What's that old saying- "There's a sucker born every minute."

Steve Jobs is the PT Barnum of the 21st century.

iPad hasn't even been tested yet - what fools.

Of course Barnum was referencing to the many hoaxes he put on to sucker in people.
  • Reply 88 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think a desktop OS designed around 13" displays with keyboards and mice/trackpads running on a 10" tablet with fingers for input is a prime example of "a fool and his money are soon parted adage"

I wonder how many tablets have been sold since tablets were first introduced. It seems like Apple will outsell all tablet sells with it's iPad in a very, very short timeframe. I think we'll see Android-based tablets as the most profitable competitors to the iPad, with MS making a tablet version of their Windows Phone 7 Series OS which HP will surely jump on. A desktop OS is just foolish for that device type and size.

+++

I would only add "A desktop OS is just foolish for that device type and size" and use.

• Reply 89 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Indeed.

Software designed for the device, not the other way around.

Just look at iWork.

Some people just won't get it. But they will in time. This is the future of computing.

Ya' know, it's kinda funny... you can scroll down the comments and look at the poster-- and pretty much tell how (not what) they are going to post. Some people get it... others don't even see it!

For efficiency sake we should all limit our comments to something like:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

whatever

+
  • Reply 90 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

When it was first released, I struggled to figure out why I should buy it.

In the intervening months, there have been many occasions when I have gone "an iPad right now would have been awesome!".

1) Surfing the net while watching TV (posting on sports forums while watching games, looking up channels, actor info, etc.)

2) Bedtime news reading. I love going through my rss feeds before sleeping, and doing it while laying on the bed would be awesome.

3) Reading ebooks.

4) Digital Photo Album

5) Recipe Display while cooking

I am still not sure if I can justify spending $500 for the above (all of which I can already achieve with my macbook/iphone, but not half as conveniently), but if the money was not an issue, it would be a no-brainer.

Try doing that in bed while laying on your side!

• Reply 91 of 219
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

OK - let's get this out of the way:

The online investor guys are making up the numbers, their methodology is flawed, they are fan boys trying to drive the release of the iPad to success - because we all know the device is an abject failure.

The iPad suxxors majorly, it doesn't have:

42 UBS ports

a Blu-ray drive

removeable battery

a front-facing camera

a rear facing camera

a cell chip to make phone calls

GPS

support for 1080p

a real keyboard

a real processor

a real OS (just that stoopid pathetic mobile version of OSX)

enough memory

enough storage space

free unlimited 3G

release with Verizon, TMobile, Sprint, Alltel, Cellular One, Blue Wireless, Bluegrass Cellular, ad nauseam...

AND

there have been scads of tablet before the iPad

AND

all these early adopters are fanbois who spend too much money for glitzy tech that is just a toy, nobody besides them or the great unwashed masses of clueless consumers who don't worship at the altar of featuredom will buy this.

Remind me to repost this in about a month or two. Perhaps even at the end of the year.
  • Reply 92 of 219
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Try doing that in bed while laying on your side!

Screen rotation lock
  • Reply 93 of 219
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Deleted
  • Reply 94 of 219
    Quote:

No - that would be Ringling Bros.

Besides- who want shows? Substance is always preferred.

OH... you must mean:

Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus.

Break a leg!

• Reply 95 of 219
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Quick question; how many fanboys are there?

At tens of thousands, the critics say it is just rabid fanboys. At hundreds of thousands, same thing. How many millions does it take before people admit that Apple products have general, mass appeal? Consider the success of the iMac, iPod, iPhone; there simply aren't enough fanboy nut jobs to account for it. The vast majority of Apple customers are Windows users. Isn't it about time to stop dismissing the overwhelming number of people interested in purchasing this product as fanboys?

Quick answer: an infinity. No matter how many millions of customers Apple has, they will always be called "the Apple faithful" by the media.
  • Reply 96 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobility View Post

Screen rotation lock

Sorry... I meant to Try it on a laptop or a desktop as opposed to an iPad!

• Reply 97 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

HP Slate is being launched later this year but on schedule:

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/33309...ting-with-iPad

No price, no date?
  • Reply 98 of 219
    Quote:

OH... you must mean:

Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus.

Break a leg!

No - what I meant is PT Barnum never came up with that expression. Ringling Bros did and they had only acquired the Barnum name years later. Enough said?
  • Reply 99 of 219
    Quote:

No - what I meant is PT Barnum never came up with that expression. Ringling Bros did and they had only acquired the Barnum name years later. Enough said?

How come you know so much about suckers and scammers...

• Reply 100 of 219
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mex4eric View Post

No price, no date?

No dice, no slate!