iPad unboxed; ABC, CBS plan to offer streaming shows at launch

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
U.S. broadcast TV networks ABC and CBS plan to have iPad-compatible content prepared in time for the device's launch on Saturday, and one advance reviewer has offered a detailed unboxing of the new hardware. Also, the iPad was featured in an episode of ABC's "Modern Family" that aired Wednesday night.

CBS, ABC plan iPad compatibility at launch

Both CBS and Walt Disney's ABC have planned for episodes of their TV shows to be viewable on Apple's forthcoming iPad in time for its Saturday launch, according to a new report Thursday from The Wall Street Journal. Streaming episodes of TV shows will be available from CBS via its Web site, while ABC will offer a downloadable iPad application from the App Store.

While the initial offerings are expected to be limited at first, both networks plan to have identical content available both for the iPad and on their Web sites.

"Putting streaming video on the iPad would sidestep Apple's iTunes content store, where Apple has been trying to juice anemic sales of TV episodes in advance of the iPad launch," the report said. "So far, several media companies have rejected Apple's push to lower the price for downloading shows from iTunes to 99 cents each, according to people familiar with the talks."

Last week, it was revealed that Apple was testing HTML5 streaming video on an iPad-specific version of its Web site. Apple's lack of support for Adobe Flash on its iPhone OS devices has forced networks like CBS and ABC to seek alternatives for their streaming solutions.

Apple is also looking to offer TV episodes for 99 cents from major networks, though the Journal reported Thursday that it is unknown whether any network will agree to that pricing by the Saturday launch. Episodes of TV shows typically cost $1.99 or $2.99.

Andy Ihnatko unboxes the iPad

Chicago Sun-Times columnist Andy Inhatko this week posted a video to take users through the unboxing process of Apple's iPad. Inhatko received an iPad last week from Apple for review and, like many others, came away thoroughly impressed. He called the iPad "pure innovation" and "one of the best computers ever."

iPad appears in ABC's "Modern Family"

The iPad made a special appearance in Wednesday night's episode of "Modern Family." The character Phil Dunphy wanted Apple's new device for his birthday, and thanks to his son he got one. Dunphy then blew out virtual candles on the touchscreen device.

Engadget captured the iPad scenes, which are embedded below:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:

Steve leveraging his majority shareholder position in Disney no doubt.

Now you see why the AppleTV hasn't turned out quite as good as it could have been, there is a conflict of interest from content providers. They don't want Apple/Disney becoming another Comcast (which just bought NBC)

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/...ne-tvs-future/
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Is that possible, to blow on the iPad and have it recognize that? I thought it needed actual electricity from your fingers..
  • Reply 3 of 42
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kornbeef View Post

Is that possible, to blow on the iPad and have it recognize that? I thought it needed actual electricity from your fingers..

Sure. It's a "magical" device, after all.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    "Engadget captured the iPad scenes, which are embedded below:"

Wow, thanks Engadget for that miracle of technology screen capture. Seriously, you guys couldn't have done better than filming your TV screen with a Flip?
  • Reply 5 of 42
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Looks like Andy Ihnatko drank a lot of coffee before unboxing his review sample of the iPad.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:

The iPhone has a mic that would allow a function like what was shown on Modern Family last night, but I am not sure that the iPad has a mic. If it does, that's how it was blown out. If it doesn't, maybe that particular app has a timer somewhere that says blow out candles in 10 seconds or so.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    OMG. I just found the birthday app that was featured in Modern Family! It works on your iPhone as well....crazy!!!! http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/birth...352272339?mt=8
  • Reply 8 of 42
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

The iPhone has a mic that would allow a function like what was shown on Modern Family last night, but I am not sure that the iPad has a mic. If it does, that's how it was blown out. If it doesn't, maybe that particular app has a timer somewhere that says blow out candles in 10 seconds or so.

The iPad does have a mic.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Looks like Andy Ihnatko drank a lot of coffee before unboxing his review sample of the iPad.

haha, ya, it reminded me of The Dark Night when the joker was filming his home movies. I half expected him to slap the iPad and laugh hysterically
  • Reply 10 of 42
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I'm pretty sure it has a mic.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I'm pretty sure it has a mic.

On the specs page, it says Microphone under "Input and Output".
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Great videos. Andy is a funny guy.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The iPad made a special appearance in Wednesday night's episode of "Modern Family." The character Phil Dunphy wanted Apple's new device for his birthday,…

My wife and I watched the show last night. Now she calls me Phil.

And NO, she will never stand in line at an Apple Store even if they gave it away for free. But she would for a shovel.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Steve leveraging his majority shareholder position in Disney no doubt.

Ya, no, really doubt that, since I am sure that episode was filmed quite a while ago and they just wanted him to want the next big thing gadget, also if you watch the show there is a running joke about how his wife is the worst at buying presents EVER.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Who watches Modern Family? That show is terrible! I still don't understand why people are excited about a larger iPod Touch. I would not stand in line for one either. I don't even see netbooks in use anywhere either, so it is amazing they report so many sales of those devices.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Wow. I think I can say using the iPad for that product placement scene was the most "low rent" sleaziest and lamest thing I've ever seen Apple do since the old Christmas time "infomercials" about the Italian family (The zambonis' ?) Apple used to run in the 1990s.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Quote:

haha, ya, it reminded me of The Dark Night when the joker was filming his home movies. I half expected him to slap the iPad and laugh hysterically

OMFG Too funny!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Ya, no, really doubt that, since I am sure that episode was filmed quite a while ago and they just wanted him to want the next big thing gadget, also if you watch the show there is a running joke about how his wife is the worst at buying presents EVER.

The chances that it was filmed awhile back makes me think that Jobs did use his position at Disney to market the iPad on Modern Family. It's too well timed plug to be a coincidence.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Who watches Modern Family? That show is terrible! I still don't understand why people are excited about a larger iPod Touch. I would not stand in line for one either. I don't even see netbooks in use anywhere either, so it is amazing they report so many sales of those devices.

1) Last week 4.9 million people watched Modern Family.

2) There are plenty of shows that don't interest me, but I wouldn't call them horrible because I have no interest in them. Do you have any reasoning why no one should enjoy it?

3) If you can only see the iPad as "a larger iPod Touch" then it's no wonder you don't understand how others could find it useful and why you amazed by reports of actual sales.

4) I think your narrow view of technology and television shows may be tied to a root cause.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Wow. I think I can say using the iPad for that product placement scene was the most "low rent" sleaziest and lamest thing I've ever seen Apple do since the old Christmas time "infomercials" about the Italian family (The zambonis' ?) Apple used to run in the 1990s.

Jeez, a little product placement and now Apple is sleazy and low rent? So Motorola must be satan incarnate for the giant logo on the mic of every headset of every head coach in the NFL? Relax man, it'll do you some good.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

I agree with rob55. It's just product placement. Every company does it. Including Apple.... in other shows as well. Even shows like CSI monitors in labs, iPhones for field agents, Raj's laptop in The Big Bang Theory, etc. I'm not going to list all the shows.

You just need to pay more attention. This time around they just did it more obviously. Just like when Steven Colbert pulled one out on stage.