Apple sells over 300,000 iPads on launch day

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Glad Apple posted their numbers, it seems to be in line with those who didn't allow emotion to affect their thinking.

According to a poll I saw (link if I can find it) the most wanted iPads were the $500 and the $830 models. The very top and the very bottom of the product range.

When the 3G model is released, I expect a boost to the sales figures

I also expect a boost to the sales figures when the school season starts, and for these reasons:

1: By then a lot of educational software would have been written for the device.

2: School buying season, a $500 iPad is less expensive than a $1000 MacBook.

I should note that Apple is cannibalizing sales from the iPod Touch and MacBook markets with the iPad.

It's been speculated that Apple is making about $210 or on the $499 model. Sales volume will have to high to counter act the loss of margins on the other devices. The iPad requires a computer to operate, once people find this out in the stores, they likely will be upsold to a MacBook, unless the schools specifically mention a iPad.

I think the prospects are very good for Apple with this product.
  • Reply 42 of 99
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulSorensen View Post

Paul Thurrott:
    • on iPhone OS 1.0 lack of Copy/Paste: "And what?s up with the lack of cut/copy and paste? This is a basic OS feature that Apple included in the first Mac OS almost 25 years ago...Unreal"

• on Windows Phone 7 (Series) lack of Copy/Paste: "No Matter"

When someone demonstrates a lack of intellectual honesty, they should be ignored.

Who to believe? The man who's changed the world via multiple technological paradigm shifts, or a sad hack who shills for perpetual Apple-follower Microsoft?
  • Reply 43 of 99
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I'm so glad we didn't have to wait until April 20th for numbers from Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

Aspect ratio is an interesting one. Given that much of the time you'll be using it in portrait rather than landscape mode you could argue that 4:3 is actually wider than 16:9. For something that you can use in either orientation 4:3 is probably the best compromise but who knows, perhaps longer iPads will appear in future?

For a 10" device that is ideal. The "it's has to be 16:9 or else mantra is silly and shows a complete lack of understand usage patterns. Reading on 16:9 in either orientation is not good. Apple puts the Home Button, light sensor and dock port in the center of portrait mode so they expect this to be the most common orientation.

Quote:

Too heavy? Maybe, but that all depends on how you use it. It probably is too heavy to hold in one hand for any length of time, while it's ideal for use resting on your lap. I suspect having a decent battery life is a much more important feature however.

Looking at the components that make up the weight reducing the battery wouldn't lower the weight too much in total. The display panel is heavy.

It's 1.5lbs and less than a hardback novel but it does feel heavier than it looks, but that is probably because it is so dense for its size.

Quote:

No doubt the coming months will see a flood of iPad-lookalikes, weighing about 5% less and with half the battery life and a third the speed of the iPad, all there to prove just how doomed to failure the whole iPad concept is.

Prediction: It'll have less performance and be frustrating to use but on paper the specs will look better than the iPad which will give fuel to those who care nothing abut actual performance,usability, or crazy things like battery life.

Quote:

As for ugly default wallpaper, that's a clincher though. The iPad is definitely doomed.

I once thing I would have liked to see is a test the wallpapers without having to go back each time. I found this to be an odd oversight in ease of use. I ended up just choosing one that was okay because this became tedious.
  • Reply 44 of 99
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    Quote:

Paul Thurrott:
    • on iPhone OS 1.0 lack of Copy/Paste: "And what?s up with the lack of cut/copy and paste? This is a basic OS feature that Apple included in the first Mac OS almost 25 years ago...Unreal"

When someone demonstrates a lack of intellectual honesty, they should be ignored.

The best one so far
  • Reply 45 of 99
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

The best one so far

Vote for best post in thread as well.
  • Reply 46 of 99
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Damn, that was just abusive. What a waste. Then again, you knew someone was gonna do it. Truth is, you drop anything with a screen that size from that high and it'll definitely break.

My macbook has experienced such jumps a couple of times, the aluminum back of the display has deformed, thats it
  • Reply 47 of 99
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Glad Apple posted their numbers, it seems to be in line with those who didn't allow emotion to affect their thinking.

According to a poll I saw (link if I can find it) the most wanted iPads were the $500 and the $830 models. The very top and the very bottom of the product range.

When the 3G model is released, I expect a boost to the sales figures

I also expect a boost to the sales figures when the school season starts, and for these reasons:

1: By then a lot of educational software would have been written for the device.

2: School buying season, a $500 iPad is less expensive than a $1000 MacBook.

Don't forget the international roll-out during the next few weeks!

My guess of the numbers, all told, from the release (Wifi, Wifi+3G, US+Intl) in the first six weeks: 600-700K.
  • Reply 48 of 99
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Somewhat down from the 600,000+ that was predicted . . .

well know 1 am on sunday there was a mad rush on orders ..

in truth apple downplayed the whole week end with zippo ads

msft puts out donuts and balloons and all that stuff

apple wanted the itunes store to run smooth so a steady high daily sales amount is apple's real game plan

so apple really had a sleepy week end

wait 700 hours and all the people watching other people playing with there ipads wiill hop off the fence and take the plunge

sales of 10000 a day will make me happy

some idiots like me are holding out for the 1tb atv model IPAD

GO FIGURE

peace dude

• Reply 49 of 99
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Paul Thurrott:

ipad has copy paste

any device made in the last 10 yrs has copy paste

apple c

apple v

i love copy paste

and paste is close to pasta

and angel hair pasta w/ red meat sause tastes great
  • Reply 50 of 99
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

My macbook has experienced such jumps a couple of times, the aluminum back of the display has deformed, thats it

Wow, lucky for you. I still don't think the iPad is quite that fragile though.
  • Reply 51 of 99
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My guess of the numbers, all told, from the release (Wifi, Wifi+3G, US+Intl) in the first six weeks: 600-700K.

I think it will be nearly double that in the first 6 weeks.
  • Reply 52 of 99
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:

Damn, that was just abusive. What a waste. Then again, you knew someone was gonna do it. Truth is, you drop anything with a screen that size from that high and it'll definitely break.

I think that the demonstration with the nail shows that you might not need a screen protector. But it remains to be seen who long the protective coating will last under use.
  • Reply 53 of 99
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think it will be nearly double that in the first 6 weeks.

Agreed. If the numbers from US WiFi sales alone amounted to 300k units on launch day, then I've got to imagine that 6 weeks worth of sales will add up to over a million units considering the addition of 3G and international sales as well.
  • Reply 54 of 99
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yes, I agree the initial international figures won't be as hot as the US figures, it's just economics. I suspect a slow climb in the international market over time.

(Assuming the same 300K in the US for the 3G and the present 300K for the US wifi, leaves 100K for initial international sales.)

The reason I think this is because the iPad is competing in the market for a windows laptop on price, being the international market of is a bit more tapped for cash than the US market, they will see the win7 laptop as a better value.

If the iPad was a stand alone touch screen computer, not requiring another, it certainly would see tremendous sales. Unfortunately the web and software has become feature rich and powerful for processors to advance in performance, not decline to 1Ghz A4's. So perhaps it was wise of Apple to require the iPad to depend upon another machine or else have a huge return rate and unhappy people.

Funny shift now, hardware developers want to create smaller, cooler and cheaper devices with better margins and the web and software developers wants more features as it sells product.
  • Reply 55 of 99
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

If Mr. Thurott's points are valid A) why didn't he invent a iPad tablet like device himself if he is so smart and B) okay, so he's not necessarily equipped to build an iPad device at the drop of a hat, BUT, he is an authoritarian figure when it comes to MS and their products, why didn't Mr. Thurrot just tout all his superior ideas to Ballmer and MS for them to come out with a handheld "Surface" device?!

Hmmmm...

What about the points he makes? Why just insult the author?
  • Reply 56 of 99
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

What about the points he makes? Why just insult the author?

His comments seem like mostly personal opinion, and it's hard to put much stock into the opinion of someone with such obvious personal biases.
  • Reply 57 of 99
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    All of this prediction/analysis of the launch sales is stupid. It only serves the egos of those making them. What really matters is how well it sells after a year or two. This device just does not lend itself to the iPhone like splash on the market. This one is going to be a slow grower that will have a huge impact only visible in hindsight.
  • Reply 58 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

Too heavy? Maybe, but that all depends on how you use it. It probably is too heavy to hold in one hand for any length of time, while it's ideal for use resting on your lap. I suspect having a decent battery life is a much more important feature however.

Consider this. An iMac or a Mac Book Pro are also too big and heavy to hold in one hand. The iPad is only "too big and too heavy" because it's small enough and light enough that you think about wanting to use it in one hand. And it's probably a fair bet that the 2011 and 2012 models won't be heavier than the current one.

Laptops are used laying flat on a surface; either a desk/table or, well, your lap. A weight comparison with a device intended to be held in one hand while the other pokes at it is not illuminating.

If it not suitable for one-handed support, the weight criticism seems valid.
  • Reply 59 of 99
    Quote:

Truth is, you drop anything with a screen that size from that high and it'll definitely break.

Do you think a lot of folks will be breaking their screens? What about the "drop on carpet" tests? ISTM that iPads will be dropped by the dozens every day.
  • Reply 60 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Who to believe? The man who's changed the world via multiple technological paradigm shifts, or a sad hack who shills for perpetual Apple-follower Microsoft?

If you look fr a guru to believe in, you stop evaluating their points in any kind of an objective manner. You best bet is to take all POVs into account and arrive at your own conclusions.

And to believe a guy who is trying to sell something to you is rarely a safe strategy.