Apple sells over 300,000 iPads on launch day

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Cough, cough..... my prediction has been 300-400K all along! http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...91#post1598891

Congrats!!! You've won the AI pool

Only wish that AI had a free iPad to give away
  • Reply 22 of 99
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    300,000? That's it? Perhaps the rest of the early adopters are waiting for the 3G version.
  • Reply 23 of 99
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    "No wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame."
  • Reply 24 of 99
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Somewhat down from the 600,000+ that was predicted . . .

That's why people should not rely too much on a single analyst' prediction, in this case, Munster. And, especially Munster.

Quote:

Munster's *original* prediction was between 200,000-300,000, but after visiting an Apple Store and seeing all the buzz and activity he got stars in his eyes and completely lost it, causing him to bump up his estimate. He got a bit too giddy, it would seem.

As I noted yesterday, if Apple Insider quoted Munster correctly, his projection is not based on legitimate random statistical sampling and should be considered suspect.

This is not the first time that he made such exuberant prediction or projection. He was infamous for his prediction that iPhone sales would reach 45 million annually by 2009. Again, if he was quoted correctly, and you analyze his cited reasons, e.g., the impact of sales overseas, it was an overreach.

He is not unique on this though. I find it odd that the performance of a company is based on averaging the predictions of those considered "reliable" stock analysts for a given company.

CGC

Just an observation: How come Apple Insider does not state the actual source of its information. I did not find this in the Apple website. Was the original statement in an Apple blog, released via email by Steve Jobs, or what?
  • Reply 25 of 99
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    my father and father-in-law both saw mine on Sunday and are both buying one this week. the numbers will grow.
  • Reply 26 of 99
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

my father and father-in-law both saw mine on Sunday and are both buying one this week. the numbers will grow.

Perhaps the Easter release was all according to plan. Families getting together to eat, drink, and look at the new iPad so-and-so bought. Then they all want one. Living-room indeed . . .
  • Reply 27 of 99
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

According to Paul Thurrott, Steve Jobs is a tool.

But then, look at what Jobs has done in his career, versus Thurrott.

That man doesn't have any idea of what marketing is all about "Apple needs to get over its desire to ape real world interfaces. That does not work."(c) said that he is never going to make even 1/100 of what Jobs earned ...Jobs also gets free iPads for life
  • Reply 28 of 99
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max8sg View Post

I think Apple basically sold out what they managed to make for the launch. There were a quite a few talks last month regarding shortage due to production issues, and I remember a few estimation of available quantity in 200K-300K range. Once everyone gets a chance to try the iPad and production picks up, 1 million target for wifi only, US only in April should be easily reached.

300K is a very solid first day of sales and I think many more will buy the 3G version, if they haven't already placed their order online.

The first day totals really illustrate that Munster should be followed skeptically, and Huberty not at all!
  • Reply 29 of 99
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Apparently the market took these guesses with a grain of salt. AAPL is trading up this morning so far.
  • Reply 30 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

That's a lot of Kotex!

That's quite a lot of immaturity or perhaps a lack of an expanded grasp of the language.

Anyone who can only think or focus on the feminine association of the term Pad, is more reflective of the person, rather than the choice of Apple.

That it is repeated even in the New York Times says much about the state of journalism these days.

CGC
  • Reply 31 of 99
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

What about the points made in the referenced article? Why just insult the author?

If Mr. Thurott's points are valid A) why didn't he invent a iPad tablet like device himself if he is so smart and B) okay, so he's not necessarily equipped to build an iPad device at the drop of a hat, BUT, he is an authoritarian figure when it comes to MS and their products, why didn't Mr. Thurrot just tout all his superior ideas to Ballmer and MS for them to come out with a handheld "Surface" device?!

Hmmmm...
  • Reply 32 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

300K is a very solid first day of sales and I think many more will buy the 3G version, if they haven't already placed their order online.

The first day totals really illustrate that Munster should be followed skeptically, and Huberty not at all!

That pretty much describes me and the other 3-6 people (gotta a few undecided) at the office who want one. We've all decided that 3G is the way to go, since we travel a lot and there isn't always WiFi. We're looking to substitute these for our laptops on short trips, so having that connectivity option is pretty key.
  • Reply 33 of 99
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    You might want to check this out and then decide to get a case for your iPad

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19338...ss_tests.html#
  • Reply 34 of 99
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Well, sell your AAPL. Stock is going to tank due to over zealous analyst predictions.

Does this number include 3G models pre-ordered or just stuff that was bought at retail or shipped to customers? I kind of doubt it as those have not been technically sold yet.

Don't know how many are on the April 12th online ship date. I was until I cancelled as I scored a iPad Sat. afternoon.
  • Reply 35 of 99
    Quote:

Someone should link and create a pdf of this article:

Apple iPad Hands-On First Impressions

http://www.winsupersite.com/alt/ipad...mpressions.asp

It may not become as quotable and as entertaining as Ballmer's infamous "iPhone prediction" but it may become emblematic of the anti-Apple crowd,

The "Supersite for Windows" at the top is quite revealing.

CGC

N.B. The exact opposite of the aforementioned kind of people are those who believe everything said about Apple that is positive, and have a knee-jerk reaction to anything negative about Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 99
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    Quote:

What about the points made in the referenced article? Why just insult the author?

Fair question - the points he made in the article were a combination of pointing out facts, and a lot of opinion/conjecture, and that's all well and good. But he invalidated every opinion he presented when played the "tool" card. What a loser.
  • Reply 37 of 99
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    300k beats the original iPhone launch.

Quote:

Somewhat down from the 600,000+ that was predicted . . .

At least the stock isn't suffering from not meeting the wild assumptions of an analyst.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

They ran out of 16/32 gb models everywhere so that may have hurt sales too. I bet lots of folks decided to wait, when you expect to pay 500$, you dont easily buy something at 700$+

16GB was the only capacity left at the Apple Store I went to and they sid they got equal amounts of each.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

I think this weekend has a positive and negative aspect. There are a great many people who simply wouldn't be going to the mall this weekend for an iPad but the ones that do y have shown their families if they got together.

3G plus international sales plus companies and institutions buying them should make for an interesting quarter.
  • Reply 38 of 99
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    Quote:

His main complaints are: it's not widescreen, it's too big and heavy, and the default wallpaper is ugly.

Aspect ratio is an interesting one. Given that much of the time you'll be using it in portrait rather than landscape mode you could argue that 4:3 is actually wider than 16:9. For something that you can use in either orientation 4:3 is probably the best compromise but who knows, perhaps longer iPads will appear in future?

Too big? That's the idea isn't it, it's supposed to be bigger than an iPhone :-)

Too heavy? Maybe, but that all depends on how you use it. It probably is too heavy to hold in one hand for any length of time, while it's ideal for use resting on your lap. I suspect having a decent battery life is a much more important feature however.

Consider this. An iMac or a Mac Book Pro are also too big and heavy to hold in one hand. The iPad is only "too big and too heavy" because it's small enough and light enough that you think about wanting to use it in one hand. And it's probably a fair bet that the 2011 and 2012 models won't be heavier than the current one. No doubt the coming months will see a flood of iPad-lookalikes, weighing about 5% less and with half the battery life and a third the speed of the iPad, all there to prove just how doomed to failure the whole iPad concept is.

As for ugly default wallpaper, that's a clincher though. The iPad is definitely doomed.
  • Reply 39 of 99
    Quote:

Paul Thurrott:
    • on iPhone OS 1.0 lack of Copy/Paste: "And what’s up with the lack of cut/copy and paste? This is a basic OS feature that Apple included in the first Mac OS almost 25 years ago...Unreal"

• on Windows Phone 7 (Series) lack of Copy/Paste: "No Matter"

When someone demonstrates a lack of intellectual honesty, they should be ignored.
  • Reply 40 of 99
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

You might want to check this out and then decide to get a case for your iPad

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19338...ss_tests.html#

Damn, that was just abusive. What a waste. Then again, you knew someone was gonna do it. Truth is, you drop anything with a screen that size from that high and it'll definitely break.