Apple sells over 300,000 iPads on launch day

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 99
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    who cares if somebody got the 650k prediction wrong? 300k is still a f*ck load of ipads sold. I'd say that's a success.

It should be noted though that the 300,000 figure also includes orders bought by best buy, which did not sell out entirely. Who knows what kind of effect that has, but nevertheless it was a damn good day for Apple...
  • Reply 82 of 99
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

What about the points he makes? Why just insult the author?

If Mr. Thurott's points are valid A) why didn't he invent a iPad tablet like device himself if he is so smart and B) okay, so he's not necessarily equipped to build an iPad device at the drop of a hat, BUT, he is an authoritarian figure when it comes to MS and their products, why didn't Mr. Thurrot just tout all his superior ideas to Ballmer and MS for them to come out with a handheld "Surface" device?!

Hmmmm..

We can copy and paste our same posts over and over again... What about his points, I ask you what about my points! Why if the "author" has all the answers did he not come out with the perfect tablet? Hmm?
  • Reply 83 of 99
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caljomac View Post

First it was 700,000, then it was 600,000, now it's 300,000. I wonder what's next.......

Microsoft coming out with their version?!
  • Reply 84 of 99
    anakin1992anakin1992 Posts: 283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

An iPad would be less than half as useful to a student as an Macbook.

My sympathies to any student unfortunate enough to be given one in place of a Macbook.

Why do you imply that you think they will sell as an alternative to a Macbook and then a few paragraphs later point out an iPad requires a computer?

I would have thought the requirement for a computer would make this device rather unsuitable for students of parents with a tight budget.

get one ipad in your hand and use it and play with it, then you would know why this device will be popular in school. maybe not for pre-middle school. the book on ipad is excellent and it is kinda telling me to give up print version books, at least text books and novels.
  • Reply 85 of 99
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

well know 1 am on sunday there was a mad rush on orders ..

in truth apple downplayed the whole week end with zippo ads

lol... yes, no std adverts but plenty of product placement that everyone and their dog, even those from countries that did not actually have any iPads available, were saturated with the event.

It wouldnt surprise me that sales improve once the obsessive hype dies down a little. For the amount of sales they got, the hype was completely mad.
  • Reply 86 of 99
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Damn, that was just abusive. What a waste. Then again, you knew someone was gonna do it. Truth is, you drop anything with a screen that size from that high and it'll definitely break.

Look on eBay for a slightly damages iPad "as is".
  • Reply 87 of 99
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Look on eBay for a slightly damages iPad "as is".

Just for sh#ts and giggles, I searched for iPad on eBay. Couldn't believe how many there were going for over retail.

And how many 16GB models had already sold for over $600.
  • Reply 88 of 99
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:

What about the points made in the referenced article? Why just insult the author?

Because of his established track record maybe?
  • Reply 89 of 99
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04...0k_ipads_sold/

Apple understates iPad demand

"Apple says it 'sold over 300,000 iPads in the US as of midnight Saturday, April 3,'" Rik Myslewski reports for The Register. "But that figure is an uncharacteristic understatement by Cupertino's hyperactive hypemeisters."

Apple's press release refers only to 'deliveries of pre-ordered iPads to customers, deliveries to channel partners and sales at Apple Retail Stores,'" Myslewski reports. "Missing from that 300,000 figure are pre-sales for the iPad Wi-Fi + 3G, for which Apple has been banking pre-orders since March 12."

Myslewski reports, "Including the yet-to-be-delivered 3G iPads, which are scheduled to be released on an unspecified date later this month, total iPad orders and sales may be more in the 400,000 to 500,000 range. But Apple, to no one's surprise, isn't providing specific figures."
  • Reply 90 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caljomac View Post

First it was 700,000, then it was 600,000, now it's 300,000. I wonder what's next.......

- 1: Analysts making wild guess.

- 2: Overexcited analysts making wilder guesses.

- 3: Manufacturer looking at actual internal numbers.

The first two may be more entertaining (briefly), the last is the only one even slightly usable for making decisions.
  • Reply 91 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevejr View Post

stock analysts are not supposed to be fanboys. i'm surprised he still has a job..

Most stock analysts that make the news are almost always fanboys or anti-fanboys.

The more rational ones aren't nearly as entertaining, and so remain in the shadows most of the time.
  • Reply 92 of 99
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Does anyone really care how many they sold?

Lets face it, it was always going to be higher than any other tablet due to the fact that 1. its cool because its apple and 2. a lot of apple fans would buy it and there's no such thing as a specific pc brand fan.

They were also going to also always going to sell out because 1. most people buying a new apple product want to buy it the day it comes out and 2. Apple never see the point in massive stock piles to not sell out as it costs a lot, the people will wait and the fact they sell out always leads to another article stating how popular it is

They could have sole 100,00, 300,000 or 23 million. Does anyone hear really know if they have done better or worse than they were predicting?
  • Reply 93 of 99
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Ah. I see. It is not a matter of evaluating the points he makes. It is a matter of accepting/rejecting the message based upon the attributes of the messenger.

Actually, it's a matter of both. You must have missed where I evaluated the points he makes, please read more carefully.
  • Reply 94 of 99
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04...0k_ipads_sold/

Apple understates iPad demand

"Apple says it 'sold over 300,000 iPads in the US as of midnight Saturday, April 3,'" Rik Myslewski reports for The Register. "But that figure is an uncharacteristic understatement by Cupertino's hyperactive hypemeisters."

Apple's press release refers only to 'deliveries of pre-ordered iPads to customers, deliveries to channel partners and sales at Apple Retail Stores,'" Myslewski reports. "Missing from that 300,000 figure are pre-sales for the iPad Wi-Fi + 3G, for which Apple has been banking pre-orders since March 12."

Myslewski reports, "Including the yet-to-be-delivered 3G iPads, which are scheduled to be released on an unspecified date later this month, total iPad orders and sales may be more in the 400,000 to 500,000 range. But Apple, to no one's surprise, isn't providing specific figures."

Reading the press release, it is obvious that the total orders for the iPad was more than 300K. It was not about deception, although it might be more PR. It is very possible that the demand for iPad 3G is much less than the WiFi version. As presented, Apple can then report the actual day-to-day or week-to-week sales.

It would look better than the numvers would look better. There would be no "precipitous drop in sales when the iPad 3G is released. Then, international sales come to play eitehr late April or May. This will enhance the expected "drop" in day to day sales in the US. Come June -- July and the next few months, the back to school promos kick in.

In between, there would be other distractions, the new iPhone(s), perhaps Macbooks, iMac, iPods, etc.

Before you know it, December arrives.

The biggest season of the year.

As usual analysts would try to outdo each other making their predictions, especially if there are no sharp drops in the sales. Apple gains more free publicity -- an art it has mastered.

It would be ironic if the IPad would exceed 5million. Gene Mnster would again be mocked for lowering his projections.

CGC
  • Reply 95 of 99
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

The iPad requires a computer to operate, once people find this out in the stores, they likely will be upsold to a MacBook, unless the schools specifically mention a iPad.

t.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

An iPad would be less than half as useful to a student as an Macbook.

My sympathies to any student unfortunate enough to be given one in place of a Macbook.

Why do you imply that you think they will sell as an alternative to a Macbook and then a few paragraphs later point out an iPad requires a computer?

I would have thought the requirement for a computer would make this device rather unsuitable for students of parents with a tight budget.

The above so-called limitation can be circumvented. Or do not exist.

Quite a significant number of Apple products users most likely already have other OS X computers (notebooks, iMacs, mini computers, desktops), the stated problem is a non-issue.

The issue arises among those with less disposable income and cannot afford to buy another computer plus the iPad. There is a solution to this that is not as costly as posted.

Servers.

I do not know the name of the PC company now that has found a way to network Macs with Applications stored in a more powerful server. This is one solution that is presented for enterprise use of the iPad by the same company. They solicited ideas from their existing users, in preparation for the iPad. [If anyone knows the company, kindly share this.]

Similarly, the iPad can be sync in such a network, e.g., in schools, universities, libraries, or social centers. Many universities now have very powerful servers that provide whole campus coverage. In fact, in Boston, students from Emerson College (?) can do their internet access all the way up tp the Boston Commons. So, you see many of them, in the park ones the temperature becomes warm enough.

Of course, it is not as convenient as having your own computer to sync your iPad. But, accessing the university, college or department networks is part of every day life in many large universities and research institutions.

I actually was in touch with the business section of Apple to do such networking of iPads with the Apple mini computer as server. It will just need several routers depending on the number of people using the server.

CGC
  • Reply 96 of 99
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

lol... yes, no std adverts but plenty of product placement that everyone and their dog, even those from countries that did not actually have any iPads available, were saturated with the event.

It wouldnt surprise me that sales improve once the obsessive hype dies down a little. For the amount of sales they got, the hype was completely mad.

Reply to myself: to update my post with emerging stuff
  • Reply 97 of 99
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Besides the product placement there has been no ads, which me. Apple typically has an ad ready to go immediately. Even the AppleTV had an ad at one point.
  • Reply 98 of 99
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Just for sh#ts and giggles, I searched for iPad on eBay. Couldn't believe how many there were going for over retail.

And how many 16GB models had already sold for over $600.

And those were bought on spec expecting that there Apple would be sold out--boy are they in for a loss

Don't forget eBay takes out theirs and PayPal
  • Reply 99 of 99
    quadquad Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

300,000? That's it? Perhaps the rest of the early adopters are waiting for the 3G version.

I certainly AM