Apple iPad owners report Wi-Fi connection issues

Comments

• Reply 101 of 164
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

If this is a hardware issue, it is a major blunder. If it is a software issue, it is a major blunder, but fixable.

Both are easily fixable. It's called, "wait for the 2nd Gen."

Seriously.

I really wanted to purchase one of these things, but I refuse to do so over one point: it has no camera and I want to video conference with it. Hopefully there will be intense pressuring on Apple over the next year to add this, such that they will break down and do it in Gen. 2. I think it is technologically feasible even if the so-called "camera mount" turned out to be the slot for the ambient light sensor.

And if the processor us actually too slow for video conferencing, perhaps a faster CPU is in order a year from now to address that. But for everything else, it appears that the iPads A4 is more than adequate.

All said, I'm waiting for Generation-2, albeit somewhat impatiently.
  • Reply 102 of 164
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by awmawm View Post

I switched from Windows to Mac OS X because connecting to WiFi was always an issue (besides not being able to awake the Windows machine from sleep correctly...). Sit in an airport lounge and watch how long it takes Windows users to get connected and how quickly the Mac users are up and running...

In Windows 7, one clicks Start, then Connect To, and then the desired SSID.

What do you do on a Mac?
  • Reply 103 of 164
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    No issues here.... Took it to school today and took notes on it. Connected with UT's wifi without any problems.

Keeping my fingers crossed, though.
  • Reply 104 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by awmawm View Post

I switched from Windows to Mac OS X because connecting to WiFi was always an issue (besides not being able to awake the Windows machine from sleep correctly...). Sit in an airport lounge and watch how long it takes Windows users to get connected and how quickly the Mac users are up and running...

Haha... I remember those days. Hopefully Windows 7 addressed those issues.
  • Reply 105 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm sure. The space for the WiFi antenna isn't great and I have to assume putting your hand over the center back or placing it flat on a metal tablet on a coffee shop* would impair it

I agree Apple can't test every possible scenario, but having it flat on a coffee shop table should certainly have been one of them. Apparently this means placing it face-down to get reception.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greg30127 View Post

Let's be honest here - (they have) never been front-and-center to ADMIT when there's a problem with their products until they're called out on it and can't escape the inevitable.

Again, is this Apple or Toyota?
  • Reply 106 of 164
    Quote:

What do you do on a Mac?

Nothing, just grab your cup of coffee and Safari does the rest.
  • Reply 107 of 164
    Quote:

Hmmmm... it seems HP has responded with a new video (showing what some might be missing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeDalRBjyJo

Very interesting that they highlight the stuff that the iPad lacks, like a USB host port, widescreen aspect ratio with a widescreen oriented stand, flash card reader, etc.

It makes sense that they would emphasize the obvious flaws of the iPad.
  • Reply 108 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Nothing, just grab your cup of coffee and Safari does the rest.

Are you saying that it connects to any wifi network you come across, without asking for permission?

Really?

Is that safe?
  • Reply 109 of 164
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

I agree Apple can't test every possible scenario, but having it flat on a coffee shop table should certainly have been one of them. Apparently this means placing it face-down to get reception.

I've used mine numerous times now lying flat on a table in a restaurant or at home with no issue. It is highly unlikely that it is a systemic issue as I am hardly alone in my success. Rather than whining about it online take it into a nearby apple store or send it in to get it fixed/replaced. If you are someone who doesn't even own one, what exactly are you complaining about?

Quote:

Again, is this Apple or Toyota?

Is this a sincere question or dramatic hyperbole?

indeed
  • Reply 110 of 164
    Quote:

What do you do on a Mac?

Click on the airport icon in the menu bar, select the appropriate network, type in the password if required an then I don't give it a second thought.

On my work windows laptop sometimes i have to use the native windows wifi manager, then on other wifi nets only the manufacturer provided wifi manager will work - it's VERY annoying and consistently inconsistent.
  • Reply 111 of 164
    Quote:

It makes sense that they would emphasize the obvious flaws of the iPad.

You mean, having no real argument of substance or anything new to bring to the table they are left to falling back to usual arguments that focus on individual and disjointed features rather than how their products experience is better than Apples?

What a shocker
  • Reply 112 of 164
    Quote:

Are you saying that it connects to any wifi network you come across, without asking for permission?

Really?

It's a preference if you so desire. Not that I have mine enabled like that since it's so easy to just pick a net in one click.

Quote:

Is that safe?

Meh, even with posting what i did above its no more or no less an issue than connecting to any unsecured wifi. Just because I'm sitting in a starbucks doesn't mean a network with an SSID of starbucks is the "real" one. All open wifi networks should be assumed to be hostile.
  • Reply 113 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

You mean, having no real argument of substance or anything new to bring to the table they are left to falling back to usual arguments that focus on individual and disjointed features rather than how their products experience is better than Apples?

What a shocker

I really don't see how what HP is doing is any different than what Apple does in the "Get a Mac" ads. However, I really don't believe HP has to discredit the iPad in order to succeed. If HP develops a quality product, the sales will be there. Personally, I don't want another laptop, which essentially is what a net book is. I like the idea of having something in between my iPhone and my Macbook Pro - and the iPad occupies that space beautifully. It's perfect for me.
  • Reply 114 of 164
    moosomooso Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Er, did you miss the part where it said including Apple's own routers???

Er, did you miss the part where i mentioned each situation is different

My point was that they may very well have tested it and everything was fine, but put it in your home and your tinfoil hat may interfere and cause a problem.

Not EVERYONE with an Apple router is having a problem, so obviously there are other factors involved
  • Reply 115 of 164
    moosomooso Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Oh, I agree with you completely. I was just trying to comment that testing every single unit before it leaves the factory isn't the best solution either. As is the case with B&O, among other things, the testing adds to making the product prohibitively expensive for most consumers and as Solipsism pointed out, places the device/item into an entirely different product category. But even then, you still have your problems with the Rolls Royces and B&Os of the world.

Actually, I did get your point. I probably should have responded to someone else - I was just trying to go with the flow of the conversation. No offense meant.
  • Reply 116 of 164
    Quote:

I suppose I'll spell it out for you...

I don't suggest they open every box. I'm saying if there is a design flaw in this device that causes it to not work as well as it could/should, then the device functionality/design should have been tested before it was produced, boxed, and shipped to stores, smart-ass.

You're saying "if there is a design flaw" now. However, earlier you adamantly commenced with suspicion regarding Apple's motives (which indicates an attitude and a dubious claim):

Quote:

Apple has never been front-and-center to ADMIT when there's a problem with their products until they're called out on it and can't escape the inevitable.

Then you adamantly followed by:

Quote:

If you notice ANY real issues with your wifi...

Followed by the adamant implication that Apple is testing deficient:

Quote:

Why is it unreasonable for people to want a company to properly and thoroughly test their products before they release them ...

Then adamantly criticized Apple's professionalism (in the face of numerous quality and customer satisfaction accolades):

Quote:

they are so worried about profit and getting stuff out as quick as possible, they're using US to "test" the models for them, instead of doing it themselves

Then more proselytizing:

Quote:

don't buy the stuff when it first hits shelves, and when the first sign of any issue comes up, don't bother with waiting for firmware fixes or spending your $$ to ship them back to be repaired - just take it back for a refund and make the manufacturer deal with massive returns. Period.

Finally, you walk it back with if and then:

Quote:

I'm saying if there is a design flaw in this device that causes it to not work as well as it could/should, then the device functionality/design should have been tested before it was produced, boxed, and shipped to stores, smart-ass.

I'd say Solipsism's asinine characterization is appropriate.
  • Reply 117 of 164
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

"Apple <insert_product_name> owners report Wi-Fi connection issues"

That seems to be the way of things. I've used the iPad on three different WiFi locations. Two private 802.11n with security, one public on 802.11g. No issues so far.

a handful of folks will have issues, start up major threads everywhere and deem the ipad a total dud. happens every time. just like every time there's a batch of us that have no problems at all.
  • Reply 118 of 164
    Quote:

Good to see they've released yet another product without doing adequate testing...

if ya not happy with apple buy a zuniepsd
  • Reply 119 of 164
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Do you believe that the problem is nonexistent, or that it is restricted to certain iPads, with others (like yours) working properly?

the problem exists, but it is likely not nor will be as big as it seems on the boards. it will be like 2% of the users out there.

Quote:

Good to see they've released yet another product without doing adequate testing...

and there it starts.

of course as you are such a genius you know that the problem is with the ipad and not the routers being used (or how they were set up)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishbert View Post

I noticed the demo iPad in my local Apple Store would drop to 1 bar of wifi signal frequently.

yes but could that be because all the 12-25 demo ipads, all the iphones, ipod touches and computers are using that same network at the same time.

Quote:

Also, the google maps application wouldn't load map data; I just got to smoothly zoom in and out on a grid of gray squares.

don't judge the app by the in store demos they use images that are preset and someone could have hosed something

Quote:

Why? Is it unreasonable for people to want a company to properly and thoroughly test their products before they release them onto retail stores? I don't think it's unreasonable at all. Is it a common practice among manufacturers now? Unfortunately, no. But SHOULD it be? Yes! And it's certainly not "asinine" for us to want it.

it's not unreasonable to expect a product to be tested. but it is unreasonable to expect a company to reproduce every one of thousands,even millions of combinations of hardware and software. how can Apple possibly know every single router someone might have and every single other tablet, desktop, laptop, smart phone they might have.

or every single other factor that could happen. perhaps these damaged ipads were online orders and perhaps they were kept in the wrong temperature storage or a giant freight pallet was knocked over at the warehouse and the antenna were jarred loose or some other something happened to them post testing.

and they can't test every single device. especially not when they are trying to produce huge amounts for a big event. so they randomly pick. and a few duds get through.
  • Reply 120 of 164
    This happens on my iPhone. I assume this is a software related issue. They still have yet to fix it since 3.0 was released...