Apple to introduce iPhone OS 4.0 on April 8

Comments

• Reply 141 of 238
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Isn't Apple's new A4 going to be in the new iPhone? Seems reasonable to assume if they put the same hardware in a device with a much smaller screen, that it will not only be faster than the current gen iPhone, but any other smart-phone, as well.

Why would you assume that it will be faster than any other smartphone?

And besides, the OP said that the iPad OS is faster than any current smartphone. That is what is being discussed.

Whether an iPhone which does not yet exist will be faster than other phones which do not yet exist is beside the point.

I was wondering whether he had any basis for his statement. Your speculation about non-existent products is not interesting.
  • Reply 142 of 238
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by powerhub View Post

Bad poster design, it looks like a cross tombstone

Reminds me of the Fantastic Four more-like

• Reply 143 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

What do you base this on? Have you seen any bechmark tests?

Or is this mere speculation?

BTW, I'm especially interested in the basis for your statement that "an iPad ... blows away any ... netbooks, speed-wise."

That seems pretty unlikely, but I'd love to read some tests. Where are they?
  • Reply 144 of 238
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

My products work beautifully, what is fragmentation and should I be concerned?

Assuming you have the latest model, it's not a problem. It's a concern if you are one of the thousands who bought a 1st gen iPhone who expects the features in the 4.0 version to be fully applicable to their phone. Or expecting the features of iPhone, like 3g service, on the iPod touch. It's all fragmentation.
  • Reply 145 of 238
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

It's all fragmentation.

If you think that's fragmentation then Android Is Doomed
  • Reply 146 of 238
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:

It'll be interesting to see how fragmentation will be dealt with, as this is continuing to be a troubling situation for the platform with the iPhone 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 software, the iPod implementations, and now the iPad.

Hellooooooo......... 'fragmentation?' You're funny (or stupid.)
  • Reply 147 of 238
    Someone please help me... are they saying the iPhone 4.0 OS will be ready to download on Thursday or that it will only be previewed on Thursday, but we must wait until mid-summer to download it when they release the new iPhone?

To me it sounds like Thursday is only a preview but the OS won't officially be released until June/July. How do some of you read it? Thank you in advance.

Either way I am looking forward to the multi-tasking and other features, and also looking forward to the Apple haters and trolls having one less thing to bytch and moan about.
  • Reply 148 of 238
    I seriously can not wait until this day. I would be so happy if the launch it then. But either way they should give iPhone/iPod touch a update then either 3.2 or maybe 3.3 i dont know but this i hope is a major update that we iPhoners and iPod touchers will benefit and enjoy. Personally I dont give a rats about the next generation iPhone
  • Reply 149 of 238
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

What do you base this on? Have you read benchmark reviews? I've never heard anything like that.

All I have heard is that the iPad is faster than the iPhone.

here

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/24673/

as far as preview vs release what was done with 2.0 3.x???
  • Reply 150 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

someone please help me... Are they saying the iphone 4.0 os will be ready to download on thursday or that it will only be previewed on thursday, but we must wait until mid-summer to download it when they release the new iphone?

To me it sounds like thursday is only a preview but the os won't officially be released until june/july. How do some of you read it? Thank you in advance.

Either way i am looking forward to the multi-tasking and other features, and also looking forward to the apple haters and trolls having one less thing to bytch and moan about.

i think its a preview it always is. If it was the release we all would be happy as hell but they usually give time for the developers and for the next gen. Iphone. Crossed fingers its a release or even 3.2 would be good for me just want something new for my iphone.
  • Reply 151 of 238
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Quote:

What do you base this on? Have you seen any bechmark tests?

Or is this mere speculation?

I have used many netbooks and the iPad. There is no comparison speed wise browsing the internet. The iPad wins hands down.
  • Reply 152 of 238
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Maybe developer beta thursday? I'd bet money on yes.
  • Reply 153 of 238
    bor15bor15 Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Someone please help me... are they saying the iPhone 4.0 OS will be ready to download on Thursday or that it will only be previewed on Thursday, but we must wait until mid-summer to download it when they release the new iPhone?

To me it sounds like Thursday is only a preview but the OS won't officially be released until June/July. How do some of you read it? Thank you in advance.

Either way I am looking forward to the multi-tasking and other features, and also looking forward to the Apple haters and trolls having one less thing to bytch and moan about.

OMG, what part of SNEAK Peek don't you understand?!
  • Reply 154 of 238
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Why would you assume that it will be faster than any other smartphone?

And besides, the OP said that the iPad OS is faster than any current smartphone. That is what is being discussed.

Whether an iPhone which does not yet exist will be faster than other phones which do not yet exist is beside the point.

I was wondering whether he had any basis for his statement. Your speculation about non-existent products is not interesting.

As I stated. The iPad is fast- faster than any phone I have browsed the internet with. A phone with the same processor and smaller screen would be even faster.

Don't comment on my non-interesting posts then.
  • Reply 155 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

here

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/24673/

as far as preview vs release what was done with 2.0 3.x???

That doesn't support your contention that the iPad is faster than any smartphone.

It says that the iPad is faster than the iPhone.
  • Reply 156 of 238
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

Assuming you have the latest model, it's not a problem. It's a concern if you are one of the thousands who bought a 1st gen iPhone who expects the features in the 4.0 version to be fully applicable to their phone. Or expecting the features of iPhone, like 3g service, on the iPod touch. It's all fragmentation.

Kinda like how my mom had to buy a whole new computer because she simply couldn't upgrade to Vista. I guess that's to be expected, companies eventually stop supporting old technology - that's life. Most consumers are aware that what they bought yesterday will be obsolete in a few years. Especially in the technology sector.

No biggie.
  • Reply 157 of 238
    Quote:

I have used many netbooks and the iPad. There is no comparison speed wise browsing the internet. The iPad wins hands down.

Thanks. I was looking for something objective, based upon current netbooks.

If your impression is that your shiny new iPad is better than the old netbooks, then there's nothing I can say.

Except that I was hoping for facts instead of impressions.
  • Reply 158 of 238
    Quote:

As I stated. The iPad is fast- faster than any phone I have browsed the internet with. A phone with the same processor and smaller screen would be even faster.

Gotcha. I thought that you had some facts to base things upon, rather than mere anecdotal experiences. Sorry to have misunderstood.
  • Reply 159 of 238
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

Gotcha. I thought that you had some facts to base things upon, rather than mere anecdotal experiences. Sorry to have misunderstood.

You should go out into the wild and experience an iPad first-hand. Something as objective as a performance test does not paint a vivid picture - you have to experience it.
  • Reply 160 of 238
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    I don't understand how anyone could think Apple won't give this update to existing iPad users for free. It's at least several months away. If they don't offer a free update, they'd be risking the Osborne Effect. Apple's not that stupid.