Twitter users' biggest complaint with iPad: it can't replace an iPhone

Comments

• Reply 161 of 223
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It would actually be nice to be able to make phonecalls on it.

Why can't you. Truphone for iPad was just released
  • Reply 162 of 223
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Updating OS

Backing up data

Printing

Saving files externally

Sure, there are some people that don't or won't, and one could get away with never ever connecting to a full computer, but the first thing that comes to mind, how do you start is out of the box without doing so.

Then what do you do when your iPad gets full books, music and videos that you bought, or you plain lose it.

Just perusing the iPad User's Guide and 'computer' comes up 136 times. There is a good important reasons for it too. I think that it is rather misleading to imply in any manner that the iPad could be used as a stand-alone device.

Apple never intended the iPad to be a stand-alone. Apple has made it quite clear in this regard. And attempting to qualify it as such only confuses those that probably don't need to be misguided.

Bottom line, the iPad as a device is downright inexpensive. The applications, materials you purchase, add or create on it are priceless. Backing up is paramount. Why screw anybody's head by telling, misleading or encouraging them otherwise.

Well, the issue was simply whether it were possible.

Not whether it was recommended or "the best way to use it".

And the fact is that, despite the drawbacks you mention (after all, some people don't do any of those things anyway), not only is it possible, but that it is likely, just as some people already use iPhones as standalone devices, activating them at the Apple store and never connecting it to a "full" computer again.
  • Reply 163 of 223
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Assume you really like the iPad.

Assume you take it always with you whenever you wear a jacket with a pocket large enough for it or have a small shoulder back with you.

Assume that when you have it with you, you use it for almost all the tasks you currently use the iPhone for.

Doesn't it then feel a little bid odd to also carry your iPhone with you, so to just use it to make calls with it?

I agree that taking a phone call while the iPad sits in a shoulder back doesn't quite work too well [EDIT: if you do not have a headset in your ears already]. Dialing neither. But maybe we just need an 'iPhone remote' for the iPad. Or an iPhone mini.

There are a lot of situations which do not lend themselves to carrying around a 10" tablet. I think most will wind up using the device more when they're puttering around the house. I see the iPad as a device that can be better suited to activities that are now being done on laptops only because there hasn't really been a better alternative. It seems to me that one is more likely to substitute the iPad for a laptop for certain activities than an iPhone when on the go. IPhone sales are in no way threatened.
  • Reply 164 of 223
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

There are a lot of situations which do not lend themselves to carrying around a 10" tablet. I think most will wind up using the device more when they're puttering around the house. I see the iPad as a device that can be better suited to activities that are now being done on laptops only because there hasn't really been a better alternative. It seems to me that one is more likely to substitute the iPad for a laptop for certain activities than an iPhone when on the go. IPhone sales are in no way threatened.

I agree.

I will be using mine around the house instead of my laptop. I will also be taking it on vacation instead of carrying my 17" MBP and half a dozen books.

I still need the laptop for business travel (although if Back to My Mac works as well as I think, even that might not be necessary at some point).
  • Reply 165 of 223
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Nobody ever said that would be better than a Macbook 13. What the heck?

My original post on this thread was asking what a 'netbook' was as I didn't really know what all the fuss was about ... that's all. You kindly answered and I was then asking why anyone would want one I guess. It wasn't arguing with anything you said. So now I understand they are simply laptops albeit cheaper and smaller and less powered then any comparison to an iPad I can see is a bit pointless. Sorry if I confused you.
  • Reply 166 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Twitter users reacting to Apple's iPad after it launched on Saturday were overwhelmingly happy with the new device, with the biggest complaint being that the device can't replace their iPhone, a new survey of the social networking Web site found.

This is the reason I'm not going to buy it, because I can't afford a luxury in-between between my laptop and iPhone. If it replaced either of them, then maybe. They definitely should have a model that does phone
  • Reply 167 of 223
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

They definitely should have a model that does phone

Sheesh. 166 posts into this thread and countless other threads and you STILL don't know what it's capable of?

The iPad can be used to make phone calls. Use Skype or Truphone (or probably other services) if you want to make phone calls on an iPad.

Is it too much to ask for people to learn about a product before complaining about it?
  • Reply 168 of 223
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, the issue was simply whether it were possible.

Not whether it was recommended or "the best way to use it".

And the fact is that, despite the drawbacks you mention (after all, some people don't do any of those things anyway), not only is it possible, but that it is likely, just as some people already use iPhones as standalone devices, activating them at the Apple store and never connecting it to a "full" computer again.

But only for a little while.

Just like car manufacturers recommend that you change the oil routinely. Some people never do. But only for a little while.

Bottom line is is NOT a standalone. It is not intended to be. According to Apple a computer is "Required"
  • Reply 169 of 223
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

This is the reason I'm not going to buy it, because I can't afford a luxury in-between between my laptop and iPhone. If it replaced either of them, then maybe. They definitely should have a model that does phone

Perfectly reasonable comment. Although even if it did have true built in phone abilities now a MacBook and an iPhone is probably the most practical if budget is limited to two out of the three items simply because you can't have an iPad on you as easily at almost all times like an iPhone. It is indeed a luxury item for many as it is, I can't argue with that. I do think it will find many important roles over time such as in education and medical fields to name but two.
  • Reply 170 of 223
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I could picture getting an iPad for my mother. She would use it to browse the web, watch my daughter's YouTube videos, receive email, and look at pictures. Why would she ever need to sync it to a computer?

If you buy an iPad for your Mom and ship it to her, she will turn it on and it will not work. She needs to use a computer running iTunes in order to make it functional.
  • Reply 171 of 223
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I hope by phone calls, they actually meant video conferencing because if you want to replace your iPhone with a 10" pad held up to your ear, then you're too stupid to own an iPad.

Give it to me.

That's just too damn funny!
  • Reply 172 of 223
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    This article only proves that Twitter users are retarded.
  • Reply 173 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

Why don't my car keys work as a phone?!

I swear these arguments get worse the more people try to defend the idea of an iPad as a phone.

I nominate this post for the best unintended irony award of 2010.
  • Reply 174 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sheesh. you STILL don't know what it's capable of?

His level of knowledge is NOT the topic of this thread.
  • Reply 175 of 223
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

If you buy an iPad for your Mom and ship it to her, she will turn it on and it will not work. She needs to use a computer running iTunes in order to make it functional.

Then just set it up on your computer before sending it.
  • Reply 176 of 223
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I hope by phone calls, they actually meant video conferencing because if you want to replace your iPhone with a 10" pad held up to your ear, then you're too stupid to own an iPad.

I think people look stupid holding phones up to their ear, regardless of size.
  • Reply 177 of 223
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Just got my case, hate that it does not fit the dock with the case. Very hard to remove from case!
  • Reply 178 of 223
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Back to the basic story subject. I'd be really interested if Attensity Group also had measured the mean IQ of all the people who posted on Twitter! Matter of fact, they should publish the mean IQ of all the members of Attensity Group, considering the inane nature of their "analysis."

Hypothesis: that both mean sample IQs will measure at least one standard deviation below the mean IQ of the general population.
  • Reply 179 of 223
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Just got my case, hate that it does not fit the dock with the case. Very hard to remove from case!

Interesting. Gotta check that out next time I'm by our local Apple retail store. Am holding off for the 3G and planning to take it on a road trip.
  • Reply 180 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Then just set it up on your computer before sending it.

And forget about having Apple deliver it for you or gifting something that is factory-sealed...