Adobe abandons development of Flash-to-iPhone porting software

Comments

• Reply 21 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

McDonalds is doing pretty good too. Delicious food good for everyone I guess, right?

Nope it isn't but there are lots of alternatives to McDonalds. Or because its very popular should they be forced to have a vegan menu, kosher menu, low carb menu or other items not of their choice on the Menu?

That's exactly the issue with Apple, they sold you a device they made no promises of what if would do beyond what was available at the time of purchase. You don't like their choices buy a phone that suits your purpose.

There are Android Phones, Linux phones, Symbian phones, Palm phones (supposedly better O/S but crappy hardware/marketing), Samsung (whatever they plan to call their smartphone OS), coming soon Windows 7 phones. So pick one that meets your needs and move on.

All the rants seem to act like Apple is going to control all communications in the universe, its just a stupid smart phone (or tablet).

I mean Google is much more in a position to control information/communications (internet content, office apps, storage, search, advertising,phones, fiber networks, their own O/S, possible now semiconductors, and even talk of them buying into wireless (sprint?) ) from end-to-end then Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 165
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    If Apple were to allow Flash on the iPhone, nobody would ever download a game from the App Store ever again. Launch the Flash app, navigate to a Flash-based game, and never have to buy a game again.

So, in theory, you would only need one app to play a thousand games instead of download a thousand games from the App Store.

Seems like a pretty smart decision if you run a company who happens to want to turn a profit for its shareholders.
  • Reply 23 of 165
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Android and the rest of the me-too also-rans are perfect for Adobe.

Seemingly, Android is perfect for rapidly increasing numbers of end users as well.
  • Reply 24 of 165
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

If Apple were to allow Flash on the iPhone, nobody would ever download a game from the App Store ever again. Launch the Flash app, navigate to a Flash-based game, and never have to buy a game again.

So, in theory, you would only need one app to play a thousand games instead of download a thousand games from the App Store.

Seems like a pretty smart decision if you run a company who happens to want to turn a profit for its shareholders.

Right, that makes sense. No one buys PC games anymore, since Flash was first released. Adobe shut down the whole PC game industry!
  • Reply 25 of 165
    What's 'Flash?'
  • Reply 26 of 165
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If Adobe management would show some business acumen, rather than pouting and throwing a hissy-fit...

They would realize that this is a tremendous opportunity for them:

-- currently 85 million (est. 100 million by year end) Apple Mobile Devices that will never run full Flash.

-- currently 0 (est. ? by year end) other Mobile Devices that may or may not run Full Flash

-- many Flash apps won't run properly in a Touch environment (no mouseover)

-- general dissatisfaction among end users with Flash on any computer (resource hog, unstable, security risk, intrusive ads, non-blockable, etc.).

There's one helluvan' opportunity here to provide a better solution and sell the tools and services to implement it.

Who better than Adobe?

Adobe seems to be stuck on "Flash is the answer!"

They should focus on what is the question?

Can you answer?

Yes I can,

but what would be the answer to the answer,

man?
  • Reply 27 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Once you actually *qualify* the numbers (which some of us have done a long time ago) you'll see how absurd your statement is.

Billions and billions Served by the App Store. But the quality?

ISTM that comparisons to McDonalds are apt. The consumer market is the sweet spot.
  • Reply 28 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

On account of how Apple is also in the lowest common denominator junk business, sold for a few dollars a pop

You just described the App Store.
  • Reply 29 of 165
    very good post. I think Adobe has fallen into a money for nothing long term plan. (actually I'd love to know if they have ANY plans at all for the future other than to bring Flash to toasters). How many 'updates' they can release and charge big money for, and that's about it. a Future of upgrades for $600. And in return these 'upgrades' bring VERY little to the table. I can never quite figure out why Adobe thinks I need to update these tools every 13 months or whatever. By moving panels around or including a new export option....and yet the software, as has been pointed out has gotten glitchier and slower and more crapalicious. I started using Adobe products a long time ago. And there was a time when an upgrade or update or a new version brought plenty of geeky goodness. Now you are lucky if the damn stuff installs in under 3 hours and runs.

Sad.

PS. Maybe it is the Flash dev folks who have helped goof up Adobe's ability to focus? When everyone thought Flash was the only way to do any multimedia and 1 million bad design shops popped up overnight to supply the market with this -gunk- Adobe realized they had suckers on line. No reason to work hard with their other tools when the Flash Corps. are basically an open wallet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If Adobe management would show some business acumen, rather than pouting and throwing a hissy-fit...

They would realize that this is a tremendous opportunity for them:

-- currently 85 million (est. 100 million by year end) Apple Mobile Devices that will never run full Flash.

-- currently 0 (est. ? by year end) other Mobile Devices that may or may not run Full Flash

-- many Flash apps won't run properly in a Touch environment (no mouseover)

-- general dissatisfaction among end users with Flash on any computer (resource hog, unstable, security risk, intrusive ads, non-blockable, etc.).

There's one helluvan' opportunity here to provide a better solution and sell the tools and services to implement it.

Who better than Adobe?

Adobe seems to be stuck on "Flash is the answer!"

They should focus on what is the question?

• Reply 30 of 165
    This issue of Flash always makes me see 'red' and if you want to know a company that I would love to drive a bulldozer through, then it is adobe. Someone talked about Adobe could not sue Apple, will all us mac customers should sue Adobe for its lousy, quick, cheap, fixes it calls software, it has tried to sell Mac community in last 10 years, hoping that OS would die and everyone would port to windows based PCs.

Adobe and your evangelist can go shove your empty promises were the sun does not shine. I will stick with iPhone/Mac product, if only NOT to have to deal with Adobe's apparent saviour to us all 'FLASH'

Help kill Adobe's Flash. Join YouTube's HTML5 beta and on Vimeo just click the "Switch to HTML5 player" link below any video. http://www.youtube.com/html5
  • Reply 31 of 165
    Yeah, because so many other mobile software platforms are better...and doing better right? And people prefer them, right? For Gawds sake, is it impossible to see clearly the success Apple has had and WHY they have had it? It's not tough to see. If you want to write an App and get it in front of 80 million people, without sending it on trucks to sit on Best Buy shelves, release to the Apple App store. If you don't want to, don't. But don't complain that the store doesn't work or is ineffective or it's all bad software.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

You just described the App Store.

• Reply 32 of 165
    Flash is just a single multimedia choice in a world of multimedia choices. And it is long in the tooth. I can't see why Flash folks are so sure it is the savior to the world of technology.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Right, that makes sense. No one buys PC games anymore, since Flash was first released. Adobe shut down the whole PC game industry!

• Reply 33 of 165
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

This is a very good, and probably accurate post. However, I think Apple's motives are more complicated. First, Flash has long been a source of security problems. If the scenario you suggested was to happen, we'd all open our iPod Touches, iPhones, and iPads to security concerns instead of the scrutinized safe haven that is the App Store. Second, Flash is slow, unreliable, and downright buggy. Adobe has simply become the new Microsoft. Their quality is not as good as it was, and each upgrade isn't all that spectacular over the previous version, however they still charge a king's ransom for each new release.
  • Reply 34 of 165
    How about that Jobs was doing what is best for Apple and for it's customers? Do I have a mean streak because I don't use flash on my website?

No one, not one single developer can say that Flash is a well developed, stable and growing part of mobile computing. If it was there would be no discussion.

And if consumers REALLY want Flash, Apple products will fail, like they are doing now...right?

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think they "get it" at all. I think Adobe is well on its way to becoming a cautionary tale, studied in business school.

• Reply 35 of 165
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:

No one buys PC games anymore, since Flash was first released. Adobe shut down the whole PC game industry!

Ummmm, no! What has ruined the PC gaming market is Microsoft's entry into the game console market: The XBox and XBox 360. Consoles have always been around, but the current crop of high powered consoles combined with 1080P HDTV's and Microsoft's ignoring of PC gaming to foster the XBox has all but ruined the PC gaming market.
  • Reply 36 of 165
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

What's 'Flash?'

I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Available from all good cleaning suppliers.
  • Reply 37 of 165
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Ummmm, no! What has ruined the PC gaming market is Microsoft's entry into the game console market: The XBox and XBox 360. Consoles have always been around, but the current crop of high powered consoles combined with 1080P HDTV's and Microsoft's ignoring of PC gaming to foster the XBox has all but ruined the PC gaming market.

Well, I was being sarcastic -- i.e., Flash did not stop people from buying non-Flash games on platforms where Flash is available, nor, were it available on iPhone OS, would it there.
  • Reply 38 of 165
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Hey Adobe, while you're at it... please consider abandoning the Flash platform too. You've done a pretty good job crippling it already. Not much of a step to simply pull the plug on it.
  • Reply 39 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post

All the rants seem to act like Apple is going to control all communications in the universe, its just a stupid smart phone (or tablet).

I mean Google is much more in a position to control information/communications (internet content, office apps, storage, search, advertising,phones, fiber networks, their own O/S, possible now semiconductors, and even talk of them buying into wireless (sprint?) ) from end-to-end then Apple.

Well said - I love Apple hardware and software... but if it does not suit, it is good for the consumer as there are other choices here. The problem is that as soon as you pick up an iPad the mindshare takes right over... Resisting that and having another platform instead becomes a difficult choice indeed...
  • Reply 40 of 165
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Quote:

He also argued that it proved developers can create content that performs well and is interesting for the iPhone through Flash.

Not very convincing arguments for "interesting"