Adobe CEO dismisses Steve Jobs' comments on Flash as a 'smokescreen'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 171
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Narayen told the Journal that he views Jobs' letter as an "extraordinary attack," and questioned what Adobe did to deserve the letter.

Maybe they deserve it because of all the company employees who have publicly bashed Apple and Steve Jobs over this issue. Adobe tacitly allows such comments from their employees.
  • Reply 22 of 171
    edorfedorf Posts: 29member
    HA HA!!!

My Windows PC at work goes nuts as soon as it snifs Flash. My Mac does NOT. I really agree with Steve Job here. Amen!

R.I.P Flash (even if it takes five years).
  • Reply 23 of 171
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Wow. I know it's Adobe, but I would have expected a substantive and lucid response.

The CEO's comments are as duplicitous, vague and misleading as Jobs' are clear and precise.

Shantanu Narayen = teckstud?

LMAO! That made my day.
  • Reply 24 of 171
    To say is patently false that Flash drains the battery, whatever the reason, is patently false...
  • Reply 25 of 171
    jrg_ukjrg_uk Posts: 64member
    Quote:

... Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen said he believes that any crashes of Flash in Mac OS X are not related to his software, but instead are the fault of "the Apple operating system."

It's clear, despite the attempt of the Adobe CEO to interpret otherwise, that the references to crashes are all about Safari, Firefox, etc. crashing (or, freezing, requiring a forced quit) as a result of FlashPlayer, and not about the entire OS locking up.
  • Reply 26 of 171
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SoundCity View Post

(My 3rd ever comment dont bite! eeek!)

And a very fine "3rd ever comment" it was, too.

Finest I've seen since my own "3rd ever comment".

Looking forward to your 4th ever comment... especially if it quotes this, my own "169th ever comment" (or so).

Thompson
  • Reply 27 of 171
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

. . . The Adobe CEO said he believes that multi-platform options like Flash will "eventually prevail," because they allow developers to write software that can be used on a number of devices . . .

So tell me, why do developers need multi-platform options to display video? What's the reason for that again?
  • Reply 28 of 171
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

LOL hysterical, if not a wee bit hypocritical.
  • Reply 29 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

One only need look at their activity monitor or stop using Click2Flash to

see the deleterious effects of Flash on a Mac.

It's done...stick a fork in it.

No kidding, I first heard about Click2Flash on the forums here. Never surf again without it.

It's obvious where the problem is, so sad to see Adobe dinosaur themselves, but I think the trouble started with their 'creative suite' idea.
  • Reply 30 of 171
    wvmb99wvmb99 Posts: 23member
    What did Adobe ever do? I first remember, was it Illustrator 7 or 8, where the Mac version was actually a downgrade in order to catch the Windows version up. I was still working in graphics then. So, after getting suckered into paying for it and getting ticked off, I switched to freehand, which in all ways but integration with a paint program was superior. Then Adobe buys Macromedia, shuts down Freehand, does not incorporate any of the advanced features as that may cut into their InDesign (or pagemaker) sales, and turns Flash into a monster. Since then, the capabilities on the Mac side have consistently lagged behind the windows side. Never mind the argument about the advanced stuff only working on windows, 99% of that is complete crap.

And what's this about the Mac OS being responsible. My mac almost never crashes, but when it does its either Flash running or Office (yes, really, I'm not just adding a random MS bash here). Adobe seems to be able to get its other apps running fine. Step up and explain this one in detail guys.

Apple is probably not the easiest company to work with, but Adobe's been nipping at them for a long time, and this might just be the beginning. Apple should either buy Adobe, but that now seems unlikely as it would be counterproductive to destroy the business first, or really compete like they did with Final Cut. But, take it seriously this time.
  • Reply 31 of 171
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,475member
    It's also interesting how Narayen conveniently ignores to respond to Symantec's claim of 'Flash having one of the worst security records in 2009.'
  • Reply 32 of 171
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    This interchange between CEO's really accentuates the difference in target markets for the two companies. Adobe sells products to companies and developers, so their products are designed to make life easier for companies and developers. Apple sells products to end consumers, so their products are designed to create the best possible experience for end consumers. The objectives of the two companies seem to be fundamentally at odds.

Developers would like to design/code once and use Adobe tools to implement on multiple platforms (without regard to the differences in capabilities between platforms), while Apple wants developers to take advantage of the capabilities of their devices, which differentiate them from the other competing platforms.
  • Reply 33 of 171
    Take that, Steve!

(And, sniff, sniff, goodbye, Shantanu.......)
  • Reply 34 of 171
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Ok, Mr. Narayen. If Apple's wrong, then there should be a full version of Flash running on all the different mobile platforms. After all, Adobe knows how to write lightweight, efficient software, right?

So where is it? Why is it that Windows Mobile doesn't have a full version of Flash? Symbian? WebOS? Even Android doesn't have a full version of Flash (although they at least have vaporware).

Even your vaporware is said to require an 800 MHz A8 processor - so by your own admission it won't run on the iPhone - even if Apple supported it.

And let's look at Flash's characteristics. Flash eats 120% CPU time simply accessing a simple web page on my system. Engadget's tests show that even hardware acceleration doesn't do much (besides, hardware acceleration only affects video, so it would have no impact on this site). So 120% CPU time on a simple menued Flash site that's 640x480x8bit EVEN WHEN IDLE. Yet I can sling around multi MB files with Photoshop with far less CPU time. iTunes uses less than 10% CPU time. iPhoto is less than 10% idle and less than 50% when working.

No one else seems to have a problem. There are lots of sites that play video just fine without hardware decoding - and very modest CPU times. Those that use hardware acceleration use single digit CPU percentages.

For that matter, what is with the argument that Apple never gave you access to hardware acceleration? Did no one ever tell you about CoreVideo? OpenGL? OpenCL? Maybe your programmers should learn about the tools available rather than insisting that they don't exist?

And please stop the 'poor me' crap. Does the phrase 'Screw you, Apple" mean anything to you? Apple is responding to your endless series of attacks and all the endless lies you keep feeding to journalists. I also strongly suspect that you have a lot of shills running around forums like this (dozens of people who have never posted before suddenly appear spreading FUD against Apple).

So why is this all Apple's fault?
  • Reply 35 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zendolphyn View Post

Same here, Eric.

Same here, too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrg_uk View Post

It's clear, despite the attempt of the Adobe CEO to interpret otherwise, that the references to crashes are all about Safari, Firefox, etc. crashing (or, freezing, requiring a forced quit) as a result of FlashPlayer, and not about the entire OS locking up.

Flash is the only reason Safari crashes on my Mac. Safari practically never crashes otherwise.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

No kidding, I first heard about Click2Flash on the forums here. Never surf again without it.

It's obvious where the problem is, so sad to see Adobe dinosaur themselves, but I think the trouble started with their 'creative suite' idea.

Can't live without Click2Flash either. Makes surfing so much better.
  • Reply 36 of 171
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    And my Internet started to work much better after I installed Firefox.
  • Reply 36 of 171
    Post removed by author.
  • Reply 38 of 171
    Leadership at Adobe, please, just rebrand the company and call it Titanic.

You are rearranging the deck chairs while your company sinks around you.

Honestly though, I have been doing Tech Support/Help Desk and yes was an Apple Genius

for longer than I care to remember (I started support with the Apple IIe). In the last 5 years I have seen more crashes on a Mac from Adobe products, specifically Flash, than I have from ANY of the Mac for Office programs.

Its bloatware and it eats up processing cycles faster than you can say iPad.

I will celebrate with the rest of you when Flash is finally dead.

• Reply 39 of 171
    aybaraaybara Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I seem to recall Mozilla stating that Flash was the number cause of crashes along all platforms.

Yup. Flash crashes my Windows browsers, I've seen it crash Linux and Unix browsers.

So obviously the problem is inherent in ALL OSes, and has nothing to do with Flash.
  • Reply 40 of 171
    Quote:

Wow. I know it's Adobe, but I would have expected a substantive and lucid response.

The CEO's comments are as duplicitous, vague and misleading as Jobs' are clear and precise.

i couldn't agree more...he sounds exactly like a website troll

bye bye flash

bye bye narayen