Adobe CEO dismisses Steve Jobs' comments on Flash as a 'smokescreen'

1234568

Comments

  • Reply 141 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post


    Does this guy realized what happen the last time Jobs put out open letter to the world, it killed DRM on music.



    I love it!
  • Reply 142 of 171
    gwklamgwklam Posts: 17member
    Before i make a deciding factor of whether or not i will abandon flash and move on, can html5 make websites like

    http://www.imax.com and

    http://www.avatarmovie.com (then click on your country flag if its there)?



    I dont make those kinds of website, but i would still like to know if its possible.



    if it can, i'm all in html5. the only thing i'm worried about is those people on firefox or other browsers that use that ogg format instead of the nice h264.
  • Reply 143 of 171
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,071member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    Shantanu Narayen = teckstud?





  • Reply 144 of 171
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwklam View Post


    Before i make a deciding factor of whether or not i will abandon flash and move on, can html5 make websites like

    http://www.imax.com and

    http://www.avatarmovie.com (then click on your country flag if its there)?



    I dont make those kinds of website, but i would still like to know if its possible.



    if it can, i'm all in html5. the only thing i'm worried about is those people on firefox or other browsers that use that ogg format instead of the nice h264.



    Why not?



    Check Steve Jobs' Toy Story iAds demo to see what html 5 is capable of.
  • Reply 145 of 171
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I installed clicktoflash. I agree.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aitala View Post


    Safari has been much more stable since I blocked Flash...



    Eric



  • Reply 146 of 171
    Flail.



    Multiple-platform is easy without Flash. Just learn each system, deploy code to each. Only stupid developers need flash ...
  • Reply 147 of 171
    kulakkulak Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xamian View Post


    So...is this why my MacBook's CPU heats up an additional 30-40+ degrees fahrenheit & my system begins to crawl whenever I watch hulu or play flashbased games (usually on facebook)? Certainly has no effect on battery life at all, right?



    Go to http://www.youtube.com/html5 to opt in to use HTML 5
  • Reply 148 of 171
    nw3227nw3227 Posts: 16member
    Lots of name-calling; not much in the way of substantive response.
  • Reply 149 of 171
    This bonehead just pushed Steve-o's "I'll prove it to you" button.



    You can bet there are about 10 guys working on an application to prove Flash battery drain.
  • Reply 150 of 171
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    I would like to point out that the iPhone has been out for 3 years and there is STILL no released version of full mobile flash. Yes, 10.1 will be available at some point this year, but 3 years? It's no wonder that Apple has put restrictions on the use of middleware for app creation if a company as huge as Adobe take 3 years just to release a plugin. Imagine how long it would take them to implement SDK changes.
  • Reply 151 of 171
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,978member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    "We have different views of the world," Narayan reportedly said of Adobe and Apple. "Our view of the world is multi-platform."





    The quickest way to a single platform world is to have a world where all platforms run the same things the same way.
  • Reply 152 of 171
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    The iPhone will die if becomes just another mobile device to run your application on. Again, without using the latest featuers exposed in every release of the API, applicatiions wouldn't have any differentiators on the iPhone platform. The rest of the industry is playing hard to catch up to the iPhone and Adobe is trying to drag the iPhone down and put it on a level playing field with the other mobile devices. As a consumer, I say screw Adobe. I want the best application for my money.
  • Reply 153 of 171
    maelmael Posts: 15member
    Flash is the 'PowerPoint' of the web.



    I have blocked Flash on all of my PC's & Mac's for years now, and only ever activated it when absolutely necessary.



    I will not be sad to see it disappear altogether.
  • Reply 154 of 171
    "open specification"?????? Seriously??? No I mean SERIOUSLY???



    How can he say that and expect anyone in their right mind to believe it? Ironically he does everything but say that Steve is flat out lying and then makes that open specification statement. LOL Not to mention the battery buck-passing and finger pointing at one of the highest rated Operating Systems in the world (which is one of the last to receive a quality Flash release).



    I've lost ALL respect for Adobe and it is now not enough to only run a Flash blocker on my desktop for better performance, I'm going to uninstall Flash entirely and suggest that others in my institution do the same. In the many years I've blocked Flash I've only come across a small handful of instances where I wanted to use it... none of which I truly "needed" anyway.
  • Reply 155 of 171
    Although this isn't directly related to the article, it seems that the discussion has talked enough about cross-platform development to make this worth saying.



    SJ has said that it took Adobe so long to use Cocoa instead of Carbon, right? Adobe's defence is that it's easier to make things cross-platform with Carbon, yet this is dismissed as being lazy. And I kind of see the point about it being lazy.



    That said, however, what's the most common piece of cross-platform software that Apple makes? iTunes. And that's written in Carbon, is it not? (I'm genuinely asking - I'm pretty sure it's Carbon, though).



    So by SJ's own admission, the iTunes developers are lazy.





    This post really isn't going to go down well here, is it?!
  • Reply 156 of 171
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Spot on all the way. Aldus did a better hand with Freehand before Macromedia got it too IMHO.



    Apple need to address replacement apps for all those made by Adobe in the graphics field now ... or as you say buy freaking Adobe and fix everything. Mac graphics folks cannot be held hostage by Adobe having such a monopoly on the graphics field any longer.



    +1 I'm with y'all on this point!



    Was just talking with a client today about CS5, upgrading decisions... and it always comes down to,

    "What other choices do we have?". Answer: slim to none.



    Still hoping that Apple at least takes a stab at putting out a program to do HTML5 compliant web and iPad layout, etc.... iWeb Pro or something similar.
  • Reply 157 of 171
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwklam View Post


    Before i make a deciding factor of whether or not i will abandon flash and move on, can html5 make websites like

    http://www.imax.com and

    http://www.avatarmovie.com (then click on your country flag if its there)?



    I dont make those kinds of website, but i would still like to know if its possible.



    if it can, i'm all in html5. the only thing i'm worried about is those people on firefox or other browsers that use that ogg format instead of the nice h264.



    Actually... yes and no.



    First... just by having Flash as the drop in page is a no-no(!). IF I'm only interested in say Corporate Relations... I can't even get there without the ability to be using Flash.



    Second. What's so special about the loaded graphics and navigation bar? You do realize that those hover effects will never work with a touch based system. Also, they could have been just as efficiently with Javascript and/or CSS transformations... without the animated "bling". That includes the GoogleMaps function as well (IMAX.com).



    Third. GoogleMaps integration. Nice... but why? DI want my information WITHOUT bling. It's just NOT necessary. It's cute, but obfuscates usability for the sake of effects. Well... on second thought, maybe it fits the genre and the movies being promoted(?)
  • Reply 158 of 171
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Just in case anyone missed this on Engadjet re: JooJoo review, as it pertains to Flash in particular:



    *******

    But what about Flash?

    This is supposed to be the big differentiator, right? The iPad killer!



    In an interesting move, Fusion Garage coupled the Atom processor with NVIDIA's Ion graphics to aid in playing full screen Flash video (or for doing... something). Unfortunately, the software just isn't there yet. Currently the device is running Flash 10.1 beta 1, and won't have hardware-accelerated Flash video for a good while now (the timing is partly reliant on Adobe support, and is labelled as a "work in progress" by JooJoo). That means some regular-sized YouTube and Hulu works, as decoded by the CPU, but full screen Hulu is jittery, and a 720p YouTube clip is like watching a slideshow. In one of the biggest moves of irony, JooJoo has actually implemented a hack for YouTube where you can view a video in Flash or in "JooJoo" mode which is a straight playback of the MPEG video file every YouTube video harbors. What does this remind us of? HTML 5, albeit with a less elegant implementation. This of course only works on YouTube right now, though JooJoo says it plans on supporting other sites in the future. Watch the video below for yourselves to see all this Flash tragedy play out.

    ********



    Emphasis added by me.



    So how is it the Flash is only Apple's problem again? Seems to me that SJ is just being SJ, and is never going to relinquish control of his company or products to Adobe or any other company... for a PLUGIN!



    I say, thanks for making a "The Stand" against waiting for Flash and Adobe!

    "Relient on Adobe my A**"



    PS. I realize that this review of the JooJoo was before recent revisions of Flash 10.2 or Gala, or whatever Adobe is trying to call it now. Why do I think that the results will still be the same?
  • Reply 159 of 171
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,872member
    Flash is like a cul-de-sac the web has wandered down, and we're pretty much at the end of where it can take us. We need to get off this street and on to a different one if we want the web to keep advancing. Even if, as some are insisting, we have to turn around and go back a bit to do this. (Although, I don't think we have to go back very far, if at all) Flash really needs to die so the web can advance without Adobe and it's tottering technology holding it back.
  • Reply 160 of 171
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post


    I would like to point out that the iPhone has been out for 3 years and there is STILL no released version of full mobile flash. Yes, 10.1 will be available at some point this year, but 3 years? It's no wonder that Apple has put restrictions on the use of middleware for app creation if a company as huge as Adobe take 3 years just to release a plugin. Imagine how long it would take them to implement SDK changes.



    You forgot to mention that even when (if) 10.1 comes out, it requires an 800 MHz A8 processor - which is more than any current iPhone or 99% of the phones on the market can handle, so even after the vaunted 10.1 comes out, it STILL won't work on iPhones - no matter what Apple does.



    Then, of course, there's the fact that 10.1 beta is reported to be very clunky, slow, and stutters badly.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post


    Just in case anyone missed this on Engadjet re: JooJoo review, as it pertains to Flash in particular:



    *******

    But what about Flash?

    This is supposed to be the big differentiator, right? The iPad killer!



    In an interesting move, Fusion Garage coupled the Atom processor with NVIDIA's Ion graphics to aid in playing full screen Flash video (or for doing... something). Unfortunately, the software just isn't there yet. Currently the device is running Flash 10.1 beta 1, and won't have hardware-accelerated Flash video for a good while now (the timing is partly reliant on Adobe support, and is labelled as a "work in progress" by JooJoo). That means some regular-sized YouTube and Hulu works, as decoded by the CPU, but full screen Hulu is jittery, and a 720p YouTube clip is like watching a slideshow. In one of the biggest moves of irony, JooJoo has actually implemented a hack for YouTube where you can view a video in Flash or in "JooJoo" mode which is a straight playback of the MPEG video file every YouTube video harbors. What does this remind us of? HTML 5, albeit with a less elegant implementation. This of course only works on YouTube right now, though JooJoo says it plans on supporting other sites in the future. Watch the video below for yourselves to see all this Flash tragedy play out.

    ********



    Emphasis added by me.



    So how is it the Flash is only Apple's problem again? Seems to me that SJ is just being SJ, and is never going to relinquish control of his company or products to Adobe or any other company... for a PLUGIN!



    That's what I've been trying to say throughout this entire conversation, but all the Adobe shills just ignore it.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post


    I say, thanks for making a "The Stand" against waiting for Flash and Adobe!

    "Relient on Adobe my A**"



    PS. I realize that this review of the JooJoo was before recent revisions of Flash 10.2 or Gala, or whatever Adobe is trying to call it now. Why do I think that the results will still be the same?



    I don't know what impact it's going to have on an Atom processor, but Engadget tested it on i5 and i7 MacBook Pros. On the i5, the new version was actually SLOWER than the old one. On the i7, it was better, but still required 50% CPU time to show a video - which is supposed to be done on the GPU.



    One step forward, two steps back.
Sign In or Register to comment.