Apple announces iPad will launch in 9 more countries on May 28

Comments

• Reply 61 of 135
    I guess I should get used to paying over-the-odds for Apple gear in the UK but I kind-of hoped that, bearing in mind the reported margins that are being made on each iPad, they may be priced a little more competitively. Even taking into account today's very poor £/$ exchange rate and ignoring our 17.5% additional sales tax UK iPad prices are disappointingly 5-10% higher than their US counterparts. I'm sure pitching the entry level model at under £400 would serve Apple well.

Once Apple have squeezed the extra premium from techno-junkies and early-adopters I have no doubt the price points will drop (and I know you are going to say no-one's forcing anyone to buy it) but it still makes you feel like you're being taken for a ride. Perhaps I'll get just the one for now

For those thinking of buying, the 32Gb versions in both varieties are the least inflated over their US versions.
  • Reply 62 of 135
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Canada and Australia both have free trade agreements with the US, so it's not import tariffs that are putting the price up. I don't know about the UK.
  • Reply 63 of 135
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

But not included in Apples pricing...

Edit: The $549 iPad will be $576.45 after 5% GST. More in provinces that also have a provincial tax.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmason View Post

No, it's not included in the price, anywhere in Canada. You pay at the register.

I stand corrected. I thought the national portion of Canada's consumption tax was included in the price, as it is virtually everywhere else.
  • Reply 64 of 135
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

My iPad 3G isn't shipping 'til May 27, yet it'll be available internationally the next day? They should take care of their homegrowns first before taking care of the foreigners.

That's nice. They already delayed our shipping by a month beyond their initial announcement. If they don't ship overseas, they risk losing a large customer base (almost 50% of their sales) which makes them more profitable and thus better able to make great products.

The factories making the devices are in China and Taiwan... staffed by foreigners (from a US perspective). Should they ship to China first?

Usage stats of sales so far show that 10% of the devices are already overseas anyways.
  • Reply 65 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Canada and Australia both have free trade agreements with the US, so it's not import tariffs that are putting the price up. I don't know about the UK.

It's always important to keep in mind that prices are not set by manufacturers based on exchange rates, they are based on the price of competitive goods in the country where the goods are sold. Also, given the constant flux of exchange rates, it's unrealistic to expect exported goods to immediately reflect these fluctuations. When the US dollar is weak, we're always hearing about how everyone else is being "ripped off" by Apple, but when the dollar is strong, we never seem to hear about how everybody else is getting a bargain.
  • Reply 66 of 135
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Our dollar is at 98 cents yet we still pay 10% more for the base model! Humbug!

You can't take the exchange rate and then say that is what a fair price should be for your country. Even if the exchange rate didn't fluctuate you aren't considering this is an actual product, not just just the value of legal tender. There are different costs associated with importing goods to foreign countries.
  • Reply 67 of 135
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It's always important to keep in mind that prices are not set by manufacturers based on exchange rates, they are based on the price of competitive goods in the country where the goods are sold. Also, given the constant flux of exchange rates, it's unrealistic to expect exported goods to immediately reflect these fluctuations. When the US dollar is weak, we're always hearing about how everyone else is being "ripped off" by Apple, but when the dollar is strong, we never seem to hear about how everybody else is getting a bargain.

that cause we never get a bargain
  • Reply 68 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can't take the exchange rate and then say that is what a fair price should be for your country. Even if the exchange rate didn't fluctuate you aren't considering this is an actual product, not just just the value of legal tender. There are different costs associated with importing goods to foreign countries.

True, obviously, but what are they? If the product is manufactured outside the US, how is the import cost any different?

If they come from China on a ship to Los Angelos, say, how is it more expensive to ship it to Vancouver than to New York?

I'm not trying to be facetious; I'm very interested in why we are paying a 10% premium north of the border. If import tax is not the source, what is?

I suppose wages might be higher for employees? edit: this seems far too regional though. If wages/lease prices were a reason, than stuff in Downtown Toronto would be more expensive than Rural Alberta. Nation-wide it seems almost impossible for these two means to be largely different between the States/Canada

edit: is also just seems askew when it would be cheaper for me to buy from Amazon.com and pay shipping than from .ca and get free shipping.
  • Reply 69 of 135
    cmasoncmason Posts: 41member
    Quote:

I stand corrected. I thought the national portion of Canada's consumption tax was included in the price, as it is virtually everywhere else.

Nope, we're pretty much the same as the US. It's not just federal tax, both provincial and federal sales tax are added at the point of sale (sometimes this is combined into one harmonized rate, sometimes it's two separate items.)

That said, I think Apple's prices are fairly reasonable in Canada. A few years ago, they were often *much* higher than the exchange rate would suggest, but it's improved a lot since then. Most of the time it's just a few percent extra now.
  • Reply 70 of 135
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

VAT; Not sure that it is. Some are. Some aren't. Some are called differently.*
    An Australian Guide on How to Get an iPad
    Quote:

How much does an iPad actually cost?

Let me give you a formula for working out what the ?cost price? of an iPad actually is. It will help you decide if the premium you?re paying for having it before the local release date it worth it. I?ll use the 16GB iPad for the example.

A 16GB iPad is US$499

There is sales tax in most retail stores/online stores that is not advertised. In California, it is 8.5% ? in New York it is 8.875% ? in some states like Oregon and Delaware, there is no sales tax at all. A full list of sales taxes in the USA is on Wikipedia.

Shipping one iPad from the USA to Australia, using USPS (the equivalent of Australia Post) and their 5 day service is going to be about US$60. The weight of an iPad and sufficient packaging is around 5lbs (2kg).

So if you?re buying a 16GB iPad in California, the total Australian dollar price works out like so:

US$499 for the iPad itself + 8.5% sales tax (US$42.45) + shipping (US$60) = US$601.45. Convert that to AU$ and the total is AU$653.

You aren?t going to get an iPad for less than $653. Obviously, the price goes up for the more expensive iPads, but shipping remains the same.

Customs/Import Taxes?

Basically, if you?re importing one iPad, you will not be charged any sort of tax or duty. If you are ordering two or more in the same parcel, that makes the value of the parcel more than $1,000 and hence, will attract tax. You can write gift, or declare the item to be less than the $1,000, but often I?ve found that Customs somehow figures it out anyways and ends up charging you, so factor that in to your ?is it worth it?? equation if you plan on buying a couple at once. It may work out to be cheaper to ship them individually.

If your parcel contains goods worth more than $1,000, you will be charged GST (10%) and duty (5%) as well as a brokerage fee by your mail carrier (random value depending on who you?re shipping with ? USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL etc.).

http://www.mactalk.com.au/2010/04/15...o-get-an-ipad/

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_a...ax#VAT_systems
  • Reply 71 of 135
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

True, obviously, but what are they? If the product is manufactured outside the US, how is the import cost any different?

If they come from China on a ship to Los Angelos, say, how is it more expensive to ship it to Vancouver than to New York?

I'm not trying to be facetious; I'm very interested in why we are paying a 10% premium north of the border. If import tax is not the source, what is?

I suppose wages might be higher for employees? edit: this seems far too regional though. If wages/lease prices were a reason, than stuff in Downtown Toronto would be more expensive than Rural Alberta. Nation-wide it seems almost impossible for these two means to be largely different between the States/Canada

edit: is also just seems askew when it would be cheaper for me to buy from Amazon.com and pay shipping than from .ca and get free shipping.

I don't have time to get into the finer details of it (going in to see Iron Man 2) and frankly I'm not an expert, but by import tax I don't mean shipping costs. I mean the fees governments out on products that will be sold in their country that don't directly profit that country. Apple's products and built in China nut the bulk of the profit is going back to the US, not Brazil, not New Zealand.

Then there are other things that fall under "economy of scale" that allow the US to sell cheaper goods than other countries. For instance, Apple selling the exact same item to the US to many more people than any other country. Just because the HW is same across all countries that the total costs aren't higher for other countries. For instance, software for language specific countries, additional fees for regulatory testing (I doubt all countries abide by FCC regulations), new packaging and inserts for these countries, and a different power adapter. While small, these tiny increases are numerous.

Finally, there is what the market will bear. Companies don't price goods to get the exact same profit across the board. If they did then ending in 99¢ wouldn't often happen. It's all about maximizing profit. They don't love or hate us, they only want to profit as any sound company should.
  • Reply 72 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmason View Post

Nope, we're pretty much the same as the US. It's not just federal tax, both provincial and federal sales tax are added at the point of sale (sometimes this is combined into one harmonized rate, sometimes it's two separate items.)

That said, I think Apple's prices are fairly reasonable in Canada. A few years ago, they were often *much* higher than the exchange rate would suggest, but it's improved a lot since then. Most of the time it's just a few percent extra now.

Appreciated currencies are going to provide that sort of benefit to consumers, if the currency remains appreciated over the longer term, which is the case with the Canadian dollar (at least against the US dollar). Exporters have to adjust prices lower over time to remain competitive. Manufacturers in the country with the stronger currency are going to be very unhappy, though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

VAT; Not sure that it is. Some are. Some aren't. Some are called differently.*

This article isn't entirely accurate. The base statewide sales tax in California at the moment is 8.25%, but most counties collect at least another 0.25% and some cities collect more on top of that.
  • Reply 73 of 135
    guyrguyr Posts: 50member
    Not sure why Appleinsider didn't do the direct comparison to US prices, but :

Wi-Fi-only iPad:

16GB - $499 US, €479 Europe, £429 U.K., $549 Canadian, $629 Australian

32GB - $599 US, €579 Europe, £499 U.K., $649 Canadian, $759 Australian

64GB - $699 US, €679 Europe, £599 U.K., $749 Canadian, $879 Australian

Wi-Fi + 3G iPad

16GB - $629 US, €579 Europe, £529 U.K., $679 Canadian, $799 Australian

32GB - $729 US, €679 Europe, £599 U.K., $779 Canadian, $928 Australian

64GB - $829 US, €779 Europe, £699 U.K., $879 Canadian, $1,049 Australian

So for Canadians, it's a $50 premium accross the board. Personally, for warranty free hassle, that's worth it to me.

To clarify the Canadian Tax, the different provinces pay different prices ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_Canada ) , i.e. Alberta just pays 5% GST ( there is no provincial tax ) Ontario pays HST ( combined GST and PST ) of 13%. So really it's just like with the states. But with online prices you do pay tax, it just depends on where it is shipped as you'll pay tax based on the receiving address location.
  • Reply 74 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't have time to get into the finer details of it (going in to see Iron Man 2) and frankly I'm not an expert, but by import tax I don't mean shipping costs. I mean the fees governments out on products that will be sold in their country that don't directly profit that country. Apple's products and built in China nut the bulk of the profit is going back to the US, not Brazil, not New Zealand.

Then there are other things that fall under "economy of scale" that allow the US to sell cheaper goods than other countries. For instance, Apple selling the exact same item to the US to many more people than any other country. Just because the HW is same across all countries that the total costs aren't higher for other countries. For instance, software for language specific countries, additional fees for regulatory testing (I doubt all countries abide by FCC regulations), new packaging and inserts for these countries, and a different power adapter. While small, these tiny increases are numerous.

Finally, there is what the market will bear. Companies don't price goods to get the exact same profit across the board. If they did then ending in 99¢ wouldn't often happen. It's all about maximizing profit. They don't love or hate us, they only want to profit as any sound company should.

Can always count on Solip for an actual reply.

So, basically, the french screw us again! ... relax bonhommes I'm only joking.

I don't really buy (har har) economies of scale. That, to me, seems more of a worldwide thing (with shipping as a factor). I doubt many iPads are sold in Omaha as compared to NYS but that doesn't alter the price. The GTA has 3 million people.

I assume Canada abides by the FCC but I'm not certain, and we also use a 110V adapter etc.

I was under the impression Canada didn't have fees for American companies a la the FTA, but again, I'm fairly ignorant of that.

Anyway interesting insights. If it somehow has to do with the Canadian government than it seems like people in the penninsula, and in Vancouver especially can just start skipping over the border for things. I know thats why they have a tarrif, but if you throw away the packaging how will anyone know your iPad is new?
  • Reply 75 of 135
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:

Why?

When i bought my computer from apple it shipped straight from China, and I paid 10% extra for it going to Toronto-Saskatoon instead of New York-Fargo?

Is Canada post more expensive? There is something missing here. Likely it has to do with exchange rates years ago or something. Thats an excuse we get often.

Canada Post is more expensive. Shipping in Canada is also more expensive. There are hidden taxes floating around all over the place. Just look at the price of a trip. The taxes are often more than the price of the carrier. In addition, the nominal exchange rate is not what one actually pays. That's a reference point. Even at par you won't get a foreign currency without some kind of charge. Companies have to use some kind of projection regarding currency. They are fluctuating all over the place.

It would be very nice if the price of items for sales in the country included the taxes. It's a crazy marketing and political game. Then you have the "experts" running around telling us that consumption taxes are the best thing since sliced bread. If it were up to them they'd raise them to infinity in order to prevent all sales

The iPad pricing for Canada is actually quite reasonable. I thought it would be higher. The big unknown is the data pricing from the cell phone companies/y.

The iPad may be manufactured in the Far East, as most things are but there's a lot more to a product then the actual manufacturing. That is why we don't pay duty on covered products designed in the US.

philip
  • Reply 76 of 135
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

whoaa.... NO HK?!?!?!?! Cannot believe it!!!

July. Fuck. I think HK is a bigger market than a few of those other 9 countries who get it in May, plus there's no issue with pricing here, as we're pegged to the US dollar and already know the prices.

Upside: Hopefully it will come with iPhone OS 4, which means we'll get one more free upgrade than the others.
  • Reply 77 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

It would be very nice if the price of items for sales in the country included the taxes. It's a crazy marketing and political game. Then you have the "experts" running around telling us that consumption taxes are the best thing since sliced bread. If it were up to them they'd raise them to infinity in order to prevent all sales

In most countries with a national consumption tax, the advertised sale price includes the tax. (I was surprised to find that Canada doesn't do it this way.) This would be impossible in the US since sales taxes vary by state, county and even city.
  • Reply 78 of 135
    igrumbleigrumble Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Further launches in Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand and Singapore will occur in July. Apple said it will announce launch dates for nine additional countries at a later date.

Well, I was obviously wrong about the timescales when I told that Swedish chap (or chapette) that he'd probably wave to wait for 2011. I'm quite pleased to be wrong, the more the merrier after all! Not that Sweden is necessarily in the later nine, and those later nine may not get it in 2010, but if Apple are going for another big launch in a couple of months, that says a lot about their confidence in being able to ramp up the manufacture rate, and I think that means that the later nine (probably including more major european countries) stand a fair chance of getting a launch squeezed in between July and the start of the xmas rush, which would be around November.

Quote:

Update: Apple updated its press releases with international pricing for the iPad:

Wi-Fi-only iPad:

16GB - ?479 Europe, £429 U.K., $549 Canadian, $629 Australian

32GB - ?579 Europe, £499 U.K., $649 Canadian, $759 Australian

64GB - ?679 Europe, £599 U.K., $749 Canadian, $879 Australian

Wi-Fi + 3G iPad

16GB - ?579 Europe, £529 U.K., $679 Canadian, $799 Australian

32GB - ?679 Europe, £599 U.K., $779 Canadian, $928 Australian

64GB - ?779 Europe, £699 U.K., $879 Canadian, $1,049 Australian

I think that's pretty much as expected. Basically just currency-conversion + VAT (well, for the UK anyway) plus a small margin of error, which for Europe is to be expected at the moment - at least until Greece's finances are back under control.

Now I just want to know what (if anything) is happening with iBooks over here!
  • Reply 79 of 135
    igrumbleigrumble Posts: 32member
    Quote:

In most countries with a national consumption tax, the advertised sale price includes the tax. (I was surprised to find that Canada doesn't do it this way.) This would be impossible in the US since sales taxes vary by state, county and even city.

I seem to recall that Canada has national AND regional sales taxes, so the same thing applies. In Europe it's quite complicated, given freedom of movement and a generally common currency: prices are mostly quoted including tax, but for large purchases you should be paying tax at your own government's rate rather than that in the country you purchased it from, which I imagine you'd sort out with customs. I tentatively believe that the tendency is for companies selling products across Europe to fix the including-tax price instead of the excluding-tax price, despite the varying tax rates. That would have the benefit of increasing consumer confidence (since they are no longer unsure how much they'd pay) and make the company seem less discriminatory.

Frankly, I'm amazed that Americans put up with the idea of picking up an item with a price on it, and then being charged a different price - but I suppose the heavy social bias towards tipping (rather than increased wages) means that tends to happen in other scenarios anyway. It would be completely viable to quote prices including tax in the US, companies would just have to deal with a variable profit margin rather than consumers dealing with a variable cost, but I think the motivation not to move to such a scheme is the 9.99 effect: people will tend to buy things which seem to be better value without putting more than a trivial amount of thought into whether the thing actually is better value.
  • Reply 80 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGrumble View Post

Frankly, I'm amazed that Americans put up with the idea of picking up an item with a price on it, and then being charged a different price - but I suppose the heavy social bias towards tipping (rather than increased wages) means that tends to happen in other scenarios anyway. It would be completely viable to quote prices including tax in the US, companies would just have to deal with a variable profit margin rather than consumers dealing with a variable cost, but I think the motivation not to move to such a scheme is the 9.99 effect: people will tend to buy things which seem to be better value without putting more than a trivial amount of thought into whether the thing actually is better value.

Keep in mind, we have no national consumption tax. Some states have none. In other localities, with state, county and city taxes combined, it can exceed 10%. Considering the hundreds if not thousands of possible permutations, it would be confusing if not impossible for online retailers (in particular) to advertise the exact price to every customer. The system is "different," if only because the US system of government is far more decentralized than most nations, but you get used to it.

The real problem with the system is that it's porous beyond belief. Ordering goods from out-of-state retailers to avoid paying sales tax is a routine tax dodge in the US. The states are trying to crack down on that method of avoidance, but it's expensive for the states and frustrating to tax payers, since (in California at least) they are using business income tax returns to trigger audits. We got gaffed that way this year.