Apple announces iPad will launch in 9 more countries on May 28

Comments

• Reply 81 of 135
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Keep in mind, we have no national consumption tax. Some states have none...

What state doesn't have sales tax? Unless you're talking about how groceries and other consumable items are tax free (in some states to-go orders are tax free while in others they aren't. As far as I'm aware though every state charges sales tax on soda but not water).

EDIT: Never mind, answered my own question - Alaska has no sales tax. Apparently just living there is taxing enough! haha

EDIT2: And Delaware, New Hampshire, Montana, Oregon - didn't realize there were so many...
  • Reply 82 of 135
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Oregon also has no sales tax, much the annoyance of retailers in northern California and southern Washington.
  • Reply 83 of 135
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    As a general question to residents of those states - do they just make it up in property taxes or what? I know Alaska has a crazy deal with low to non-existent tax on everything but, ya know, it's Alaska...
  • Reply 84 of 135
    bobrikbobrik Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

My iPad 3G isn't shipping 'til May 27, yet it'll be available internationally the next day? They should take care of their homegrowns first before taking care of the foreigners.

they should take care of their profit in the first place
  • Reply 85 of 135
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    Those prices seem really expensive. Why the premium over the U.S. deals?
  • Reply 86 of 135
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It's a bargain! Apple knows it'll cost you more than 10% extra to drive over to the US, buy it here, declare it at Canadian customs, and pay the duty!

I declared mine at the custom. There is no dutie on it, only sale taxes. In my case i paid gst and pst, so about 14%, I also paid the vermont sales tax, which was 35$ for the 500$ model
  • Reply 87 of 135
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

As a general question to residents of those states - do they just make it up in property taxes or what? I know Alaska has a crazy deal with low to non-existent tax on everything but, ya know, it's Alaska...

I don't live in Oregon, but I know the property taxes are quite high there. Income tax possibly too. Alaska actually pays people to live there. All that dough comes from the oil companies.
  • Reply 88 of 135
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    not bad
  • Reply 89 of 135
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    They really need to get some agreement between the states and set one national rate to make it easier for business and consumers! Fed's can collect it at the one rate and then transfer it to the states.
  • Reply 90 of 135
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    I am all lubed up and bent over to get my ass pounded by Telstra's data plan.
  • Reply 91 of 135
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    JULY AND NOT eVEN ALL THE REST OF THE COUNTRIES.... F*************** ME
  • Reply 92 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitro View Post

I am all lubed up and bent over to get my ass pounded by Telstra's data plan.

At least your ass-pounding is assured. I'm sitting here and it's gaping but I gotta wait till late July, maybe even August. What. The. Frack.
  • Reply 93 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dlcmh View Post

Malaysia ... Apple, don't forget about us!

Dude, we are totally screwed... End of July or even August, at this rate. Gawd knows when the heck Maxis or Digi is even going to start preparing the microSIM and 3G iPad plans. I'm sitting here with my mouth on the floor. Jeez man, this bl**dy country of ours. Sad. Just sad.
  • Reply 94 of 135
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Patience, Suni, patience. With it selling like it is, it's not just pre-orders but also people who saw it and then want one, so I think this thing will be worth the wait. We can pre-order Monday, hoping for a May 28th delivery!

Had to wait a heck of a lot longer for the iPhone, so getting the iPad the same year as the US is nice.
  • Reply 95 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

...Signed one of the idiot UK electorate you disparaged earlier.

Do you all have a well-hung parliament? Or is it just hung.
  • Reply 96 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Patience, Suni, patience. With it selling like it is, it's not just pre-orders but also people who saw it and then want one, so I think this thing will be worth the wait. We can pre-order Monday, hoping for a May 28th delivery!

Had to wait a heck of a lot longer for the iPhone, so getting the iPad the same year as the US is nice.

You're in Japan so you just have to wait a few weeks. \ Man, can't believe Singapore ain't in on the 28th May thingy. Too small a market.

But, Gambateh and enjoy your iPad!
  • Reply 97 of 135
    Saw a Bloomberg news piece (English) discussing iPad prices in Japan... Though not listed yet on Apple's site, a little digging on SoftBank's site came up with this:

WiFi only models; a bit higher than the US prices

¥48,960 ($534)

¥59,040 ($645)

¥68,800 ($751)

3G models (plus a 24 month plan); these are closer to the US prices

¥58,320 ($637)

¥67,920 ($741)

¥77,280 ($844)

There is an option for a 1GB plan that adds about $40 to the 3G models.

Edit: SoftBank's homepage now has the iPad at the top on the Japanese page; the English page doesn't show the iPad
  • Reply 98 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

You're in Japan so you just have to wait a few weeks. \ Man, can't believe Singapore ain't in on the 28th May thingy. Too small a market.

But, Gambateh and enjoy your iPad!

Yeah, this time we got lucky. We were pretty bummed though when they delayed it a month, not to mention suddenly taking all Apple products out of most resellers around the nation. I'm lucky to have a Premium Reseller nearby; friends on the other side of the island have to venture over here (2.5 hours by car) to get to a shop that sells Apple anymore. The number of shops that will display the iPad is very few nationwide.

You'll get yours... hang in there.
  • Reply 99 of 135
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I declared mine at the custom. There is no dutie on it, only sale taxes. In my case i paid gst and pst, so about 14%, I also paid the vermont sales tax, which was 35$ for the 500$ model

If you had been out of the country for a week (7 days+ 1sec) would you have had to pay the hst+pst? There is a $750 "duty free" amount but it's not clear if that also means tax free exemption. If not then you are paying state tax, provincial tax and GST. Doesn't seem worth it...

philip
  • Reply 100 of 135
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

They really need to get some agreement between the states and set one national rate to make it easier for business and consumers! Fed's can collect it at the one rate and then transfer it to the states.

Good luck with that. It'll take a 100 years for that to happen.

philip