Apple announces iPad will launch in 9 more countries on May 28

Comments

• Reply 101 of 135
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

We were pretty bummed though when they delayed it a month, not to mention suddenly taking all Apple products out of most resellers around the nation. I'm lucky to have a Premium Reseller nearby; friends on the other side of the island have to venture over here (2.5 hours by car) to get to a shop that sells Apple anymore. The number of shops that will display the iPad is very few nationwide...

Hey... I thought from the news it's only the Japanese online sites where they stopped selling Apple products? But seems like they were they pulled from brick-and-mortar stores as well, as you mention? Why was that? Were they selling below the recommended prices? Curious because as you know (I think) I do some work for a Reseller here. What happened?
  • Reply 102 of 135
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    More info on iPad in Japan:

SoftBank's homepage was a bit confusing and unclear on a few points, so I went to my reseller to check. They were confused, too, even though two SoftBank reps were there setting up for tomorrow.

ALL iPads in Japan require a contract of some kind with SoftBank, even the WiFi only model, even if you pay cash for it. I was in an Apple Premium Reseller asking about an Apple product that only has wifi and was told I have to sign a contract with SoftBank. They need ID and a credit card even though I will not use 3G. SB could not give any reason for this.

There was more, but all I will say is that something isn't right with what's going on with Apple in Japan right now and as a customer it is getting very frustrating. If I were a stockholder I'd be livid.
  • Reply 103 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Hey... I thought from the news it's only the Japanese online sites where they stopped selling Apple products? But seems like they were they pulled from brick-and-mortar stores as well, as you mention? Why was that? Were they selling below the recommended prices? Curious because as you know (I think) I do some work for a Reseller here. What happened?

The news was flat wrong on this and did no investigation. Even AI still only has the info found on the news, despite my lengthy discussion is of what is going on here. Two months ago, I knew of ten shops in town where I could buy Apple products. Now there are only two. Apple's homepage has a listing of the shops throughout the country; it is very short.

They used to sell through many retail outlets and their own brick shops. Most of the retail outlets were told suddenly that they could not sell Apple products anymore, effective immediately. One customer, who had an order placed at a shop which had received a shipping notice from Apple for the order, had his order CANCELLED BY APPLE. The customer bought a Sony on the spot. The withdrawal was also very negative for the resellers: Apple requested that they get rid of their floor stock by the end of April, but they were forbidden from offering deep price cuts. One shop I know of has removed stock at their own loss. The manager said rather bluntly that Apple screwed them.

Now we have the iPad situation coming to light slowly and messily.

Something is amiss with Apple here in Japan and as I just said above, as a customer I am quite dissatisfied. My wife is less forgiving and believes that Apple's business model has no concern for its resellers, partners and least of all, customers.
  • Reply 104 of 135
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

More info on iPad in Japan:

SoftBank's homepage was a bit confusing and unclear on a few points, so I sent to my reseller to check. They were confused, too, even though two SoftBank reps were there setting up for tomorrow.

ALL iPads in Japan require a contract of some kind with SoftBank, even the WiFi only model, even if you pay cash for it. I was in an Apple Premium Reseller asking about an Apple product that only has wifi and was told I have to sign a contract with SoftBank. They need ID and a credit card even though I will not use 3G. SB could not give any reason for this.

There was more, but all I will say is that something isn't right with what's going on with Apple in Japan right now and as a customer it is getting very frustrating. If I were a stockholder I'd be livid.

So even in the seven B&M Apple Stores in Japan, a SoftBank contract will be required on site if you wish to buy either iPad type?
  • Reply 105 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So even in the seven B&M Apple Stores in Japan will require a SoftBank contract signed on site if you wish to buy either iPad type?

That's what I was told by a SoftBank rep today. I hope its wrong.

I was in an Apple Premium Reseller that has no relation to SB and there were two SB reps there preparing to sign people up tomorrow. Even for the pre-order, we have to bring ID and a credit card and sign something like a cell phone contract.

I will know for certain tomorrow. As I said, the reps couldn't answer all of my questions.
  • Reply 106 of 135
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Something is amiss with Apple here in Japan and as I just said above, as a customer I am quite dissatisfied. My wife is less forgiving and believes that Apple's business model has no concern for its resellers, partners and least of all, customers.

So it may seem in Japan, but I believe if Apple's business model in general had no room for such concerns they'd quickly have few customers. My concern about the story you've related, apart from the obvious specifics, is that Apple is having problems managing their growth rate. Things are perhaps falling through the cracks that otherwise might not if the company wan't growing at such breakneck speed.
  • Reply 107 of 135
    Quote:

That's what I was told by a SoftBank rep today. I hope its wrong.

I was in an Apple Premium Reseller that has no relation to SB and there were two SB reps there preparing to sign people up tomorrow. Even for the pre-order, we have to bring ID and a credit card and sign something like a cell phone contract.

I will know for certain tomorrow. As I said, the reps couldn't answer all of my questions.

I can why SoftBank would require a contract for the 3G model. I figured not every country would get a great contract-free deal like the US (Yes, $30/month for unlimited data when carriers sell netbooks are $60/month for 5GB data with 24-month contract).

What I don't get is what SoftBank would charge the customer for if they bought the WiFi model. Do you they sell a comprehensive and fast citywide WiFi plan? I have to assume that the simplest answer is that SoftBak's CSRs are mistaken.

PS: Your wife is right, Apple doesn't care about anything other than turning a profit. Fortunately for partners and customers is does involve appeasing us from time to time in order to achieve that goal.
  • Reply 108 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

So it may seem in Japan, but I believe if Apple's business model in general had no room for such concerns they'd quickly have few customers. My concern about the story you've related, apart from the obvious specifics, is that Apple is having problems managing their growth rate. Things are perhaps falling through the cracks that otherwise might not if the company wan't growing at such breakneck speed.

I am speaking for Japan. My dealings with Apple before coming here were awesome. Came to Japan over ten years ago and have not had one satisfactory dealing with Apple Japan. Here you get the feeling that Apple wants you to buy their great products and then, once you do, they say, "Thanks! You're on your own, now!". The B&M Apple Stores are run by Apple US and are pretty good, yet even they use the Apple Japan Call Center and admit that there are problems with it.

Not long ago, I jokingly said to the wife that I would like to write Steve and ask him when could we in Japan be able to buy Apple products with confidence and satisfaction. Today, after our visit to the reseller, she agreed and said we should hold off on all Apple purchases for a while until Apple can clean up the mess. I really want an iPad, so I will go to the shop tomorrow. If the answers aren't what I'm looking for (or if they don't change from what I heard today), I'll likely come home empty-handed.
  • Reply 109 of 135
    Do the other countries that are getting the iPad this month require a contract for the Wifi model? I want to know before I go in to (possibly) pre-order mine tomorrow.
  • Reply 110 of 135
    Quote:

Do the other countries that are getting the iPad this month require a contract for the Wifi model? I want to know before I go in to (possibly) pre-order mine tomorrow.

That's akin to requiring a mobile carrier contract to buy a MacBook or iPod Touch. What are they charging for, WiFi hotspot access?
  • Reply 111 of 135
    Here is a newspaper clip on it:

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/business/T100508002418.htm

"Another model that offers users only wireless LAN access will be priced at 53,280 yen and also can be purchased on a two-year installment plan." from SoftBank.

Interestingly, the article also states:

"The iPad models will be available at SoftBank shops and home electric appliance shops that sell Apple products."

Very few Softbank shops (a grand total of 16 nationwide) will carry the iPad and about 100 retailers (individual outlets, not entire chains) will carry it. I really wish the media would do more homework (a couple of minutes of surfing would do). I guess SB will send reps to all those retailers... what happens after the initial boom?

http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/ipad/reserve/

http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/ipad/reserve/retailer.html
  • Reply 112 of 135
    Quote:

Here is a newspaper clip on it:

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/business/T100508002418.htm

"Another model that offers users only wireless LAN access will be priced at 53,280 yen and also can be purchased on a two-year installment plan." from SoftBank.

A few things that don't really jibe in that article (and are in your favour):
    — The use of the word 'can' not 'must', which indicates an option, not a requirement.

— The use of "purchased on a two-year installment plan" as opposed to ""purchased with a two-year data contract plan". Installment sounds like a reduced upfront fee for the device in return for getting a 2 year contract with SoftBank.

— (Most telling) The prices:
    • 16GB iPad 3G+WiFi is ¥58,320 which equals $636.65. A difference of ONLY $6 for the same US model.

• 16GB iPad WiFi-only is ¥53,280 which equals $581.63. A difference of $82 for the same US model. That sounds about right to me for a device that has no contract with it.
  • Reply 113 of 135
    OMG I wrote a huge post on Thoughts on Apple in Asia and my login timed out, destroying my post.

Here's a thought... What if Apple is going to PUSH THE IPAD THROUGH MOBILE PHONE/ TELCO CHANNELS rather than Resellers in most countries?

Maybe in the rush to get the iPad launched internationally they are going through Telcos? What if these Telcos have got the bright idea to force you to sign up for a plan for the WiFi only model (as in hire purchase or for a WiFi hotspot plan?)

And you can be sure stock will SELL OUT FAST.

Bottom line (pun intended), Apple sells out fast like hotcakes in Asia, still the big status symbol, but support, service and access to stock will be messed up. Resellers, caught in the middle, play a waiting, cat-and-mouse game with Apple on what stock they will get and when and how they will deal with telcos selling iPad as well.
  • Reply 114 of 135
    Here in Malaysia, with Singapore (4-5 hours by car including traffic jams at the border crossing) only getting the iPad "sometime in July", well, that puts us either end-of-July or maybe even August given the whole iPad fiasco.

Today is May 9th. So, I have two options. Either today I get my iPad 16GB WiFi for about $750USD from my local grey-market shops (iPads are shipped in from the US), or wait it out for another 3 WHOLE MONTHS until maybe August for official launch, which will still be stock-constrained.

Oh, and for those doing the estimating, I think the percentage of iPads bought in the US that are then actually sent/sold/used outside-the-US, is more towards the 20%-30% mark. Especially now people know how constrained international availability is.
  • Reply 115 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's akin to requiring a mobile carrier contract to buy a MacBook or iPod Touch. What are they charging for, WiFi hotspot access?

Received a message from my sales guy at the reseller telling me to bring ID and credit card as they are required for purchase of the WiFi model. Counting his boss and the SB reps, that makes four people who have said the same thing. I sincerely hope they are wrong and will have new and accurate instructions to open in the morning.

On SB's HP, there is a snippet about 2 years of free access to their hotspots, which won't do me much good as in town there are only a couple... at McDonald's, where I never eat. Up in Tokyo, that would be a different story.

Within 12 hours, I will know for sure.

---

The pricing isn't a problem... pretty reasonable all things considered. Except that the interest rate on the installment plans decreases with the memory you choose... I plan to pay cash so that doesn't bother me.

---

Apple's Japan page still does not have info on where/how to order the iPad tomorrow; just says it will be available for pre-order from the 10th. Lots of people who haven't been to their regular shop in a while will be in for a surprise when they are told the shops no longer carry Apple products. I signed up for a mailing from Apple regarding the release but have not yet received anything; hopefully that will come in the morning. Sloppy.
  • Reply 116 of 135
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    10 minutes to midnight in Australia...

...I wonder how much is on my credit card.

something to kill some time:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPS1DMlzz0M
  • Reply 117 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

10 minutes to midnight in Australia...

...I wonder how much is on my credit card.

something to kill some time:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPS1DMlzz0M

I have an Australian credit card but my billing address is not in Australia. Will it work if I give it a Australian shipping address? Anyone?

BTW Australian Apple site has no sign of where to click to pre-order.
  • Reply 118 of 135
    "Apple is unable to accept credit, debit, or cheque associated with a billing address outside of Australia." Bummer. Well, I could always call my bank and give an Australian billing and shipping address.

But I'm getting sick of all this iPad-this iPad-that hype and the bulls*t associated with all the pre-ordering and 3G, not-3G whatever. F it. I'm off to watch English PREMIER LEAGUE the LAST MATCHES OF THE SEASON woooo

GO CHELSEA
  • Reply 119 of 135
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Just pre-ordered!

No limit on numbers apparently, although I ordered two and so didn't test a possible limit (Australia).

Price published in this article is correct (includes taxes) and both the wi-fi model and 3G are available for pre-order.

Shipping 'by the 28th'.

Bergermeister - no contracts on wi-fi.
  • Reply 120 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Just pre-ordered!

No limit on numbers apparently, although I ordered two and so didn't test a possible limit (Australia).

Price published in this article is correct (includes taxes) and both the wi-fi model and 3G are available for pre-order.

Shipping 'by the 28th'.

Bergermeister - no contracts on wi-fi.

I'll know for sure in a couple of hours. If I buy, I will support my local reseller (Apple royally screwed my previous reseller), and they don't open until; 10:00.

Apple's mail arrived at 4:05 this morning, a little late for some people in Japan to adjust their 2 hour commutes, so they'll probably end up ordering online from Apple, boosting their sales (maybe that's part of the plan). If you don't really read the mail, you won't know that the iPad is actually only available through a very limited number of channels.