iPhone OS 4 betas show new iPad-style spelling features

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

I just hope they fix the weird spell-check behavior that is the current one.

I hate that it corrects even though I don't want to.

Tap to change, not keep writing to change.

Agreed. The current implementation is a bit irritating.
  • Reply 22 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Wow, what a completely offensive and unnecessary response.

No content, several lies, a personal attack, an attack on an entire country and a couple of bigoted remarks all in one post.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I thought it was well-poked bit of fun at the implication that British English is the "real" language and everything else is a dialect.

Me too...

I guess sense of humo(u)r varies from English dialect to English dialect.......
  • Reply 23 of 91
    johnblackjohnblack Posts: 9member
    with news this old, AppleInsider should change their name to AppleOutsider. hahaha, i know, it was pretty lame :-)
  • Reply 24 of 91
    ranreloadedranreloaded Posts: 397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Me too...

The should make a dictionary that accepts every dialect. Of course, it wouldn't be much use when a person in the US mis-spells color as "colour" and doesn't get autocorrected, though.
  • Reply 25 of 91
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    Quote:

Agreed. The current implementation is a bit irritating.

iPhone or iPad implementation?

I quite like the error correction on the phone...
  • Reply 26 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

iPhone or iPad implementation?

I quite like the error correction on the phone...

iPad, sorry.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnblack View Post

I first read about this on April 9 on MacDaddyNews, http://www.macdaddynews.com/?p=2252

Is there anything actually new about this, or is AppleInsider just giving us old news on a slow news day?

Seeing as I only have time to keep up with one rumor site, I was pleased to see this "news."

Better late than never for me! Especially news this good. Lack of spell check is my biggest complaint with the phone...
  • Reply 28 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Two comments:
    • The pictures don't do a very good job of explaining what's going on.

• This will be a big disaster outside of the USA until Apple introduces an English dictionary for the iDevices.

I don't write American, I write using English. Having the squiggly red underlines is annoying if all the suggestions are going to be incorrect.

Apple needs to get the finger out and put UK English, Canadian English, Canadian French etc. dictionaries into the iDevices.

canadian english? okay...then you forgot australian and jamaican english then
  • Reply 29 of 91
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

The should make a dictionary that accepts every dialect. Of course, it wouldn't be much use when a person in the US mis-spells color as "colour" and doesn't get autocorrected, though.

Apple just needs to add the words to the autocorrection dictionary - easy to do. BUT, currently, on the iPhone if you type something like "colour" a few times, it stops suggesting replacements. Also, the iPhone remembers capitalized/proper nouns and will autocomplete them even when you don't start the word off with a capital letter - once you've typed it a few times as capitalized.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    Quote:

iPad, sorry.

Thanks. I was getting confused between the (greatly anticipated) iPhone 4.0 and the (I so wish I had one of my own) iPad. So much technolust I was having trouble focusing...
  • Reply 31 of 91
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Its called Patois (patwa).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

........and jamaican english then

• Reply 32 of 91
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

OK...

You are using an American computer, not a computeur.

Welcome to the 20th century, we've evolved past the linguistic quirks of the 19th Century.

You can start dropping those extraneous vowels, medieval spellings and butchered hick pronunciations. Since the collapse of the British Empire, even more modern offshoot dialects have evolved like the cowboy, aussie and kiwi. However we still don't let Garth Brooks have a special computer that types y'all instead of you. English accent and pronunciation has never been static throughout history, why start dragging your feet now?

Maybe it's time for all the fringe English dialects to stop confusing the matter out of cultural bias / fear of evolution and make a slight effort towards making communication easier. I mean we let you have the computers, the least y'all can do is edit a few stray letters to try & stay current.

Actually, if you take colour [correct spelling] it makes sense seeing as the phonetic sound of the word ends with an urrr and not orrrr.

If you're saying, Kuh-Lor instead of Kuh-Lur then your dialect has it wrong.

There is a reason words are written ei and ie and no they aren't interchangeable and should not be pronounced the same, though idiots abound by stating Neither as NEETHER when it's NYTHER. Sieve is pronounced SEEVE, not SYVE.

But then again, up here in the Pacific Northwest our accent is very clean and we don't say WARSHINGTON, but WAHSHINGTON.
  • Reply 33 of 91
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    OK, you've had your fun, but can we stop with the British English thing, and the UK English thing? That would be English. Just English. From England, hence the name. Now I'm fine with you guys thinking it's weird to spell colour differently than you, and to use a z where we use an s, but let's be straight, it's not being pedantic to say that here in the UK, we use English, and you guys use American English (or Canadian if you like, or whatever). It's not the other way round.

I've no problem with them being different, but I have a few issues with our version of spelling being punted as the quirky unusual one.

Reminds me of an argument I have with worrying regularity about milk... There's no such thing as full fat milk, there's milk, then there's the ones that have been fiddled with, semi-skimmed, skimmed etc. Full fat milk is just milk, it doesn't need the full fat appellation.
  • Reply 34 of 91
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I can't see the need for a bluetooth keyboard with an iPhone or iPod Touch. I guess if that's your only computing device then sure.

It is strange that they are just coming out with spellcheck. My Blackberry has had this for email since day one, but not system wide like Apple is doing. Apple tries not to do things half-way which is good but takes forever for us users to get and appreciate.

I suppose it won't be until iPhone 5.0 that a Thesaurus will come built-in. I believe Snow Leopard (correct me if I'm wrong) was the first OSX version to include that in the dictionary app and system wide.
  • Reply 35 of 91
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Are you saying that British English is a "fringe English dialect"?

Yup. Ever since we saved your asses in dubya dubya two.
  • Reply 36 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonklers View Post

i think its fair, apple copies a red underline and MS gets to copy the whole OS gui

:LOL: :LOL:

Windows!

:LOL: :LOL:
  • Reply 37 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

canadian english? okay...then you forgot australian and jamaican english then

Ya mon!
  • Reply 38 of 91
    ranreloadedranreloaded Posts: 397member
    Quote:

Me too...

So they say in MacRumo(u)rs
  • Reply 39 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

[...]

It is strange that they are just coming out with spellcheck. My Blackberry has had this for email since day one, but not system wide like Apple is doing. Apple tries not to do things half-way which is good but takes forever for us users to get and appreciate.

I suppose it won't be until iPhone 5.0 that a Thesaurus will come built-in. I believe Snow Leopard (correct me if I'm wrong) was the first OSX version to include that in the dictionary app and system wide.

They do have spellcheck. It is the implementation that's different i.e. rather than the current single word suggestion at the bottom (blue text on a white background bubble), the news suggest the coming version will make suggestion of multiple words and with black background bubble and blue text much like the way the 'cut/copy/paste' bubble is currently presented.

Also, no point being the first if it ended up suck.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    gariongarion Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Welcome to the 20th century, we've evolved past the linguistic quirks of the 19th Century.

And here in Europe we have evolved past the 20th Century. We've actually been in the 21st Century for almost a decade now.

You should come visit us some time. The graphics are amazing :-)