iPhone OS 4 betas show new iPad-style spelling features

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnblack View Post

so why even keep up with one rumor site? why not just wait until the new iPhone comes out and discover it has spell check?

Because I enjoy reading about what is coming and speculating on what might happen. (That was a silly question...)
  • Reply 62 of 91
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In what context is non-American English "fringe". I guarantee you that the iPhone supports many languages that have less users than Britih English does. His request srems quite sensible, he's not asking for Old English or Latin.

Agreed, plus since when has Apple not offered a choice of American or British English in any spelling software? Why all the worry from these folks that it will be American only?
  • Reply 63 of 91
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

How so? Genuinely interested.

I think he meant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...glish_language
  • Reply 64 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

Shouldn't it correct it to farg or something to that effect to get rid of the annoying bits of french that have managed to infiltrate the language throughout the centuries and interbreeding with the french?

Regs, Jarkko

Ahem, the French would claim -- with some justification -- that they civilized that island across the channel, say, around the mid-eleventh century.

Remember that William (Guillaume) guy from Northern France?

• Reply 65 of 91
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Two comments:
    • The pictures don't do a very good job of explaining what's going on.

• This will be a big disaster outside of the USA until Apple introduces an English dictionary for the iDevices.

I don't write American, I write using English. Having the squiggly red underlines is annoying if all the suggestions are going to be incorrect.

Apple needs to get the finger out and put UK English, Canadian English, Canadian French etc. dictionaries into the iDevices.

Apple = Doomed

You nailed it, mate.
  • Reply 66 of 91
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ahem, the French would claim -- with some justification -- that they civilized that island across the channel, say, around the mid-eleventh century.

Yep I do. And then they spoiled the language in the process. No doubt due to the insistence of speaking french. "Le grande Mac".

Nonetheless loads of the quirky spelling and pronounciation comes from interbreeding a Germanic language with a Latin one enough to confuse everyone.

It would be called a mongrel in the canine world. So what rules can you have for the appearance (spelling) of mongrels? Wonder how much gaelic, Eire and Welsh is thrown into this mongrel?

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 67 of 91
    johnblackjohnblack Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Because I enjoy reading about what is coming and speculating on what might happen. (That was a silly question...)

Well AppleInsider already talked about this on April 8. If you only want to follow one Apple news site, why not one that is more reliable like http://MacRumors.com or http://MacDaddyNews.com
  • Reply 68 of 91
    oxygenhoseoxygenhose Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeremy Brown View Post

As for the use of "s" in england, and "z" in the US, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_spelling

I note that the Oxford English Dictionary prefers the "-ize" suffix where the etymological root of that suffix derives from the Greek.

While the US is almost single handedly driving the tech boom in the 1990's, academics trained to live in their own methane bubbles at Oxford are attempted to replace 'z' with 's'? Wow, however it's the same with France, there are elements in their academia that try to re-impose outdated language rules to stem off 'modernization' of French. Linguistic Luddites.

With the English language it's a losing battle. The population of English speakers in America has far exceeded England for a long time now. It's also impossible to ignore the amount of terminology thru technical innovation that Americans have added to the language. American English, British English, Canadian English.... Wrong. It's English v2.0 and it's a little silly to ask us to keep supporting an outdated language for misplaced feelings of cultural superiority.

Americans also invented the 'tea bag' and upgraded tea for the English. Are academics at Oxford, trained to live in their own methane bubbles, treating this as some sort of cultural assault as well? Kind of lose that moral superiority when every word that ends in a vowel is pronounced with an 'er' on the end. We know that just like the tea vs. coffee thing and the monarchy junk that the English are slow to upgrade. We were their best investment, should stop fighting it, just kick back enjoy the dividends over a cup of whatever.
  • Reply 69 of 91
    oxygenhoseoxygenhose Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garion View Post

And here in Europe we have evolved past the 20th Century. We've actually been in the 21st Century for almost a decade now.

You should come visit us some time. The graphics are amazing :-)

That's debatable.

And although I sprinkle them with abandon, '20th Century' wasn't a typo.
  • Reply 70 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

While the US is almost single handedly driving the tech boom in the 1990's, academics trained to live in their own methane bubbles at Oxford are attempted to replace 'z' with 's'? Wow, however it's the same with France, there are elements in their academia that try to re-impose outdated language rules to stem off 'modernization' of French. Linguistic Luddites.

With the English language it's a losing battle. The population of English speakers in America has far exceeded England for a long time now. It's also impossible to ignore the amount of terminology thru technical innovation that Americans have added to the language. American English, British English, Canadian English.... Wrong. It's English v2.0 and it's a little silly to ask us to keep supporting an outdated language for misplaced feelings of cultural superiority.

Americans also invented the 'tea bag' and upgraded tea for the English. Are academics at Oxford, trained to live in their own methane bubbles, treating this as some sort of cultural assault as well? Kind of lose that moral superiority when every word that ends in a vowel is pronounced with an 'er' on the end. We know that just like the tea vs. coffee thing and the monarchy junk that the English are slow to upgrade. We were their best investment, should stop fighting it, just kick back enjoy the dividends over a cup of whatever.

All true (and I am an ex Brit) but I don't know what the fuss is, Apple always offer dual English dictionaries, UK and US.
  • Reply 71 of 91
    Quote:

My recollection is he was a Norman, descended from Vikings. Modern day French are mainly descendants of the Gauls. So not too much justification
  • Reply 72 of 91
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

How so? Genuinely interested.

Quote:

I think he meant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...glish_language

More or less. The point being, linguists describe the many dialectical variations of English specifically, not in terms of a "master" version spoken in England, with a bunch of lesser spawn. I know it comforts Brits in some odd way to think that they speak the "real" English, but it is not in fact true. This is one form of cultural superiority they will have to forego. In fact they speak one of the many variants of a language which derives from Germanic root languages.

All that being said, Apple commits a similar error by making their linguistic choices "English" and "UK English." It seems to me at one time, they got it right by calling the default "North American English," or some-such, but more recently changed it to just "English." Brits deserve to be annoyed by that.
  • Reply 73 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My recollection is he was a Norman, descended from Vikings. Modern day French are mainly descendants of the Gauls. So not too much justification

True. Taking that a step further, we're all Africans, no?

(I think thread is deteriorating, and I am partly responsible.......)
  • Reply 74 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnblack View Post

Well AppleInsider already talked about this on April 8.

I am soooo sorry, if I let you down by missing that. in my defence, there was a lot of activity that day (what with the tentpoles and all) so it appears that I mY have missed it. In any case, I don't believe there was as much information as in the current article...

Quote:

If you only want to follow one Apple news site, why not one that is more reliable like http://MacRumors.com or http://MacDaddyNews.com

This fails to make sense. I am not the one who was complaining about the article--why are you suggesting I go somewhere else?
  • Reply 75 of 91
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:

This fails to make sense. I am not the one who was complaining about the article--why are you suggesting I go somewhere else?

It is a standard reply around here. It need not be used in a manner which directly responds to what has actually been said.

So then, why don't you just go away?
  • Reply 76 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

It is a standard reply around here. It need not be used in a manner which directly responds to what has actually been said.

So then, why don't you just go away?

I finally made it to troll status? Wahoo!

But seriously, I think it is a fair response for someone who continually picks fights, whines, or complains. If someone is not happy here or is making vast swaths of the AI community unhappy, then by all means, show them the door. If they get banned and come back under different names and exhibit the same behaviors, I believe they deserve to be called out.

But that is not what was happening here...
  • Reply 77 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

If they get banned and come back under different names and exhibit the same behaviors, I believe they deserve to be called out.

But that is not what was happening here...

I've been informed that WilliamG is the new handle of the previously banned on many occasions iGenius.
  • Reply 78 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    . . .
  • Reply 79 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've been informed that WilliamG is the new handle of the previously banned on many occasions iGenius.

Yeah, well... I was leading that horse to the water, but I wasn't going to push his head under!!
  • Reply 80 of 91
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

All true (and I am an ex Brit) but I don't know what the fuss is, Apple always offer dual English dictionaries, UK and US.

The only point I was making is that *unlike* every other Mac you can buy, the iPhone OS currently *doesn't* have dual dictionaries. oxeygenhose's ill-informed, and unnecessarily bigoted remarks to the contrary.

The spell check is a fantastic addition, but if it doesn't spell check in the language you are using, then it's a net *loss* to have it.

I agree mostly with the fellow that said it doesn't matter to him what anyone else uses, it's just about being allowed to use your own language. It also only crosses the line into rude territory when bigoted and inaccurate remarks are made about someone else's language choice. It's a bit rude if you are English, to be told by an American that their *variant* of your language is actually the original, and that we should all suck it up and "go American."

I think apart from oxygenhose, most reasonable people would agree that they need to put the proper dictionaries in if they are going to have spell-check. This is just common sense given that outside of the USA, regular "English" is far more common and multiple variations are in use all the time.