iPhone OS 4 betas show new iPad-style spelling features

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

OK, you've had your fun, but can we stop with the British English thing, and the UK English thing? That would be English. Just English. From England, hence the name. Now I'm fine with you guys thinking it's weird to spell colour differently than you, and to use a z where we use an s, but let's be straight, it's not being pedantic to say that here in the UK, we use English, and you guys use American English (or Canadian if you like, or whatever). It's not the other way round.

Except that, linguistically speaking, you are wrong. I know, I know... it's your language, and we're just borrowing it. (Which we will continue to do, thank you very much, until the Germans ask for it back.)
  • Reply 42 of 91
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

They do have spellcheck. It is the implementation that's different i.e. rather than the current single word suggestion at the bottom (blue text on a white background bubble), the news suggest the coming version will make suggestion of multiple words and with black background bubble and blue text much like the way the 'cut/copy/paste' bubble is currently presented.

Also, no point being the first if it ended up suck.

Huh? AFAIK the iPhone does not have spell check (outside some betas).

It has spell correction which is quite usefull, but not the same as spell check. For those of us who are terrible spellers, spell correction is not enough. If I want to use a word that I know I may have trouble spelling, I often find myself giving my best shot and then intentionally entering the last letter one off from what it should be. If it corrects that last letter, I know I got it right, otherwise I have to try again.

Unfortunately, much of the time, I can't get close enough and I have to leave the spelling wrong or abandon the word (or I could exit out to a web page that will help, but rarely do I do that...).

In any case, I eagerly await true spell checking!
  • Reply 43 of 91
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Wouldn't it be great if the iPhone's spell check feature included missed space bar hits? It is smart enough to determine that the T is close to the Y so maybe you meant to hit the Y instead, but why can't it figure out that yhenworda should really say "the words", and that that N should have been a space bar? Am I the only one who has that problem with the spell check?
  • Reply 44 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Wouldn't it be great if the iPhone's spell check feature included missed space bar hits? It is smart enough to determine that the T is close to the Y so maybe you meant to hit the Y instead, but why can't it figure out that yhenworda should really say "the words", and that that N should have been a space bar? Am I the only one who has that problem with the spell check?

+1

What about corecting for inadvertant erasures in the place of an "m"?

for : t - i - (delete) - e

which makes more sense, "te" or "time"?
  • Reply 45 of 91
    popspops Posts: 15member
    we've already had a similar spellcheck/correction on jailbroken iPhones for quite some time now, red squiggly line and all.

it is called HUNSPELL and you can install any language from the inspell dictionaries, including US english. and to top it off a language switcher in SBSettings too
  • Reply 46 of 91
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

The should make a dictionary that accepts every dialect.

The way things are going we may all be writing "Engrish" soon.
  • Reply 47 of 91
    Quote:

OK, you've had your fun, but can we stop with the British English thing, and the UK English thing? That would be English. Just English. From England, hence the name. Now I'm fine with you guys thinking it's weird to spell colour differently than you, and to use a z where we use an s, but let's be straight, it's not being pedantic to say that here in the UK, we use English, and you guys use American English (or Canadian if you like, or whatever). It's not the other way round.

I've no problem with them being different, but I have a few issues with our version of spelling being punted as the quirky unusual one.

Reminds me of an argument I have with worrying regularity about milk... There's no such thing as full fat milk, there's milk, then there's the ones that have been fiddled with, semi-skimmed, skimmed etc. Full fat milk is just milk, it doesn't need the full fat appellation.

As for the use of "s" in england, and "z" in the US, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_spelling

I note that the Oxford English Dictionary prefers the "-ize" suffix where the etymological root of that suffix derives from the Greek.
  • Reply 48 of 91
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Reminds me of an argument I have with worrying regularity about milk... There's no such thing as full fat milk, there's milk, then there's the ones that have been fiddled with, semi-skimmed, skimmed etc. Full fat milk is just milk, it doesn't need the full fat appellation.

On the label it's called "whole milk."
  • Reply 49 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

You mean, as opposed to "broken milk?"
  • Reply 50 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You mean, as opposed to "broken milk?"

From what I have heard about how they "make" skim milk, I think "broken milk" is an accurate discriptor...
  • Reply 51 of 91
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

The way things are going we may all be writing "Engrish" soon.

'Engrish' was so 1980s.

Now, it is Chinglish and Inglish.
  • Reply 52 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

'Engrish' was so 1980s.

Now, it is Chinglish and Inglish.

Not to mention, Spanglish.
  • Reply 53 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Seeing as I only have time to keep up with one rumor site, I was pleased to see this "news."

Better late than never for me! Especially news this good. Lack of spell check is my biggest complaint with the phone...

so why even keep up with one rumor site? why not just wait until the new iPhone comes out and discover it has spell check?
  • Reply 54 of 91
    it looks like AppleInsider actually reported on this back on April 8. Why are they bringing it up again like it's something new?

http://www.appleinsider.com/print/10...phone_4_0.html
  • Reply 55 of 91
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

+1

What about corecting for inadvertant erasures in the place of an "m"?

for : t - i - (delete) - e

which makes more sense, "te" or "time"?

Yes, yes, yes! I am forever hitting the Delete button when I meant the M.
  • Reply 56 of 91
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Whenever this was actually first reported, I think it's pretty good news, and it's nice to see the photos of how it works.

I know that on other phones like RIM and Nokia they offer up word spelling pretty effectively and in practice those methods are very fast to use. If this upgrades it from a basic spell check to real word suggestions as shown in the picture, I think it's another great way that iPhone keeps closing the small feature gaps sometimes seen in other phones.

I've often thought that the dictionary in most phones is extremely limited so it will be nice if this is in some ways a learning dictionary allowing you to add your own jargon as you have the phone, but also somehow if you got a word wrong that auto-added itself it allows you to erase that from the dictionary too.
  • Reply 57 of 91
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Except that, linguistically speaking, you are wrong. I know, I know... it's your language, and we're just borrowing it. (Which we will continue to do, thank you very much, until the Germans ask for it back.)

How so? Genuinely interested.
  • Reply 58 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Yeah, but that's only a euphemism because anything with the word "fat" in it sounds bad. Whole sounds much more, well, wholesome...
  • Reply 59 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeremy Brown View Post

As for the use of "s" in england, and "z" in the US, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_spelling

I note that the Oxford English Dictionary prefers the "-ize" suffix where the etymological root of that suffix derives from the Greek.

I think you will find that based on your link the key words are "can" and "choice". OK, so there is an alternative dictionary that allows for both, but it's not the way it's taught in schools, or used in any other dictionary. Language is a fluid system, none more so than English which has bits nicked from just about every other language around.

And despite any of this, it's still just English. Not British English.
  • Reply 60 of 91
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

The should make a dictionary that accepts every dialect. Of course, it wouldn't be much use when a person in the US mis-spells color as "colour" and doesn't get autocorrected, though.

Shouldn't it correct it to farg or something to that effect to get rid of the annoying bits of french that have managed to infiltrate the language throughout the centuries and interbreeding with the french?

Regs, Jarkko