Hulu has no plans to support iPad browser with HTML5

Comments

• Reply 101 of 129
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Most people would prefer a stable platform where they do not have to be concerned about comparability issues. If you want to take a walk on the wold side, buy an Android phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Yes. Apple targets the naive user, and disallows functionality which might get some of their users in trouble.

But what about the rest of us?

• Reply 102 of 129
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Many more people have access to Flash than have access to HTML 5.0 as of now.

It's about future growth, not existing users. The mobile space is where most of the growth is expected to occur (witness the iPads flying off the shelves). Any savvy businessman worth his salt would be doing everything in his purview to get out in front of that wave.
  • Reply 103 of 129
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

What are your favorite sites, that absolutely require Flash? Next I would ask is there absolutely no other way to obtain the information or content these sites provide?

I think that most people want the internet to just work, without having to pick and choose or do workarounds. I watch a lot of news videos. I can get the info elsewhere, but that is a PITA.

You present this a "favorite sites" that "absolutely" require Flash, AND which have no equivalent.

Screw that. I just want to surf without the machine crashing.
  • Reply 104 of 129
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

But I don't understand why Apple simply don't provide an option to disable Flash. If Flash really did make the iPhone experience unstable, then we could turn it off. Or am I missing something?

I suggested this once and was raked over the coals for it by the other posters here. I suppose there is some technical reason why it cannot be done.

But I like the idea myself. The first iPhone couldn't have 3G because they couldn't figure out how to do it without killing the battery. Ultimately they had to make it work because no one was going to put up with Edge speeds forever. And part of the solution was an off switch.

Hulu is a mixed bag for me. It's cheaper than buying DVD's but you have to watch it on your computer. I usually wont watch for more than a half hour. The iPad would have been an excellent way to enjoy the content on the couch. Of course a MacBook pro will accomplish this. And I admit I have to watch with a pillow under the computer cause it gets hot.

Just seems like a missed opportunity, that's all.
  • Reply 105 of 129
    Quote:

Most people would prefer a stable platform where they do not have to be concerned about comparability issues.

If that were true, then Windows would not be popular.

Most people would prefer a platform that has a lot of useful apps, so long as it is reasonably stable.

A minority of people want features to be excluded "for their own good".
  • Reply 106 of 129
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

This forum is going down a typical path. If Apple doesn't allow you to have something, then you didn't want it anyway.

You have a couple of offhand comments about not using or valuing Hulu content delivery and the thread takesa typical path? What about all the comments that say - hey Hulu's ok with me? Or do you just throw these comments out here to stir the pot with your own arm?

Grow up.

• Reply 107 of 129
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Since Hulu lost The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, I haven't been watching anything there anyway.
  • Reply 108 of 129
    Quote:

I think that most people want the internet to just work, without having to pick and choose or do workarounds. I watch a lot of news videos. I can get the info elsewhere, but that is a PITA.

What work arounds are you talking about? Or are you saying using a different website as a work around? There are estimated to be 8 million active sites on the internet. Most people will use the sites that work for the device. They are not going to choose the device based on what websites it can use. That is the reason why everyone major media company have mobile websites that don't use Flash.

Every major news organization provides a mobile site with H.264 video without Flash.

Quote:

You present this a "favorite sites" that "absolutely" require Flash, AND which have no equivalent. Screw that. I just want to surf without the machine crashing.

It was a simple question that you did not answer.
  • Reply 109 of 129
    Quote:

If that were true, then Windows would not be popular.

Most people don't choose Windows. It is the default OS sold on 90% of the worlds computers. In many cases their is no other choice.

There is a large number of people who are tired of Windows and the reason why the Mac is having phenominal growth through the second worst economic downturn in world history.

Quote:

Most people would prefer a platform that has a lot of useful apps, so long as it is reasonably stable.

If this is true then why is Apple's strategy so successful? No other brand comes anywhere near close to Apple's success.
  • Reply 110 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

You have a couple of offhand comments about not using or valuing Hulu content delivery and the thread takesa typical path? What about all the comments that say - hey Hulu's ok with me? Or do you just throw these comments out here to stir the pot with your own arm?

Grow up.

Come on now. Be honest. What I said is very typical of the community here.

Glossy screen? I don't mind. No tethering on iPhone? That's okay. No flash on iPad? Let's kill flash. Etc etc.

Sorry if I struck a nerve, but it's okay to disagree with Apple's choices. And maybe, just maybe if people complain they might change their minds. I seem to recall that at one time Apple didn't want to be in the cell phone business. Someone persuaded him to change his mind. Perhaps it was me.

The iPhone was MY idea. But Windows 7 wasn't.
  • Reply 111 of 129
    People like to feel that their complaint specifically forced Apple to add a certain feature. Their is little real evidence of that. Certaily Apple has to meet the demands of the market and give consumers want they desire.

At the same time Apple has to plan out it's development roadmap far in advance. This stuff isn't magic they can only add it when it actually works. They do not add features simply because a few people on web boards complain.

Your comment about Apple being in the mobile phone business. No one expects a computer company to jump into mobile phones. They are two entirely different markets. So far no one has been able to straddle the two as successfully as Apple has.

Quote:

Sorry if I struck a nerve, but it's okay to disagree with Apple's choices. And maybe, just maybe if people complain they might change their minds. I seem to recall that at one time Apple didn't want to be in the cell phone business. Someone persuaded him to change his mind. Perhaps it was me.

• Reply 112 of 129
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

I suggested this once and was raked over the coals for it by the other posters here. I suppose there is some technical reason why it cannot be done.

You weren't raked over the coals. You were given an answer that you refused to even acknowledge. You don't have to agree, but completely ignoring the people who responded is juvenile.

The reason you were given (several times, IIRC) is that if it were optional, most people would get to a web site and then turn Flash on to see the site- and then have all the problems with Flash - crashes, short battery life, etc. There would be no incentive for developers to use html 5 or any other open standard ("the user can just turn Flash on"), so we'd be stuck with Flash crap forever.

(That, of course, assumes that Adobe could ever make a version of Flash for the iPhone in the first place - which doesn't appear to be within their abilities, anyway).

Quote:

But I like the idea myself. The first iPhone couldn't have 3G because they couldn't figure out how to do it without killing the battery. Ultimately they had to make it work because no one was going to put up with Edge speeds forever. And part of the solution was an off switch.

It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that the 3G chips improved over time so that battery life was less of a problem.
  • Reply 113 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You weren't raked over the coals. You were given an answer that you refused to even acknowledge. You don't have to agree, but completely ignoring the people who responded is juvenile.

:

you have me mixed up with someone else. I would never get into a discussion about How flash works because I have no clue. When the ipad was announced with no flash support, the forum disintegrated into a war zone. I simply suggested putting an off switch in the settings to make everybody happy and was told it was a stupid idea.

I leave it to you to decide if that was a coal raking or just a poker in the eye. Peace and long life.
  • Reply 114 of 129
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Most people don't choose Windows. It is the default OS sold on 90% of the worlds computers. In many cases their is no other choice.

So they were forced to purchase the computer with Windows, are you saying they didn't have a choice of which brand of computer they purchased? Well if that is true, maybe someone should report this issue to the police
  • Reply 115 of 129
    Perhaps you are using sarcasm, but if not. WTF?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

So they were forced to purchase the computer with Windows, are you saying they didn't have a choice of which brand of computer they purchased? Well if that is true, maybe someone should report this issue to the police

• Reply 116 of 129
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Perhaps you are using sarcasm, but if not. WTF?

You said that most people don't choose Windows, it was the default OS on the computer they purchase. Unless they were forced to buy a particular brand of computer, then yes they did choose Windows, otherwise they would have purchased a Mac, or a computer than came with Linux preloaded had they wanted another OS.
  • Reply 117 of 129
    Quote:

If this is true then why is Apple's strategy so successful? No other brand comes anywhere near close to Apple's success.

Apple's strategy has caused them to lose the desktop and the laptop markets. And the server market. And enterprise sales in general.
  • Reply 118 of 129
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:

Apple's strategy has caused them to lose the desktop and the laptop markets. And the server market. And enterprise sales in general.

but their strategies are resulting in great success in the mobile market. However, as I've said before, this ain't over by a long shot. Let's see where things are in 2011.
  • Reply 119 of 129
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Too bad for Hulu.

I've never been to that site, and now I won't be able to on my iPad.

Life goes on.
  • Reply 120 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Apple's strategy has caused them to lose the desktop and the laptop markets.

Have you ever thought that perhaps Apple chooses not to be a bottom feeder, because it sounds like you're suggesting that Apple has no choice in the matter?

Yep, Apple is really hurting.