Apple releases updated $999 MacBook with GeForce 320M graphics

Comments

• Reply 61 of 117
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Frankly if you're an Apple fan in the UK you are a masochist. Apple's comedy UK pricing is little better than swapping the $ sign for a £ sign.

And what sort of people do you call those who hate Apple so much but then spend quite a bit of their time interacting and insinuating themselves in Apple-centric sites and with people who love Apple so much?

From another thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu

I can only asume you have never seen a Nexus One.

They're selling like hotcakes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu

Apple have for a long time avoided the cutting edge and have favored out of date, cheap components. That's just the way they work.

It must be such a rewarding vocation to devote so much time saving the "pagans". Ignorance leads to the fires of hell.

CGC
  • Reply 62 of 117
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

HEY SOLIPSIM, WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR QUOTE A FEW DAYS AGO ABPUT THIS LEAK BEING FAKE???

You clearly need to understand a "Photoshop" image and non.

Leave the ansible my friend

How about you climb down off that high horse.

Didn't that "leak" show the battery life was still 7 hours on the box?

Doesn't the new one say "Built-in 10-hour battery" at the Apple Store?

I think somebody knew about the upgrade, but 'shopped the "proof" from an existing retail MacBook box. That they got something like this so completely wrong is "proof" they Photoshopped that box.
  • Reply 63 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

If you bought it from an Apple Store there, you have within a month to return it.

Some of the mail order sites have return policies also.

CGC

14 days, not a month.
  • Reply 64 of 117
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Frankly if you're an Apple fan in the UK you are a masochist. Apple's comedy UK pricing is little better than swapping the $ sign for a £ sign.

Actually, if the price is £840, and if VAT is 15%, the price pre-tax is £730, which comes out to $1,057.51. Is that so bad?

(I don't know if there are other taxes (local taxes) as well as VAT, which would make the pre-tax price even lower).
  • Reply 65 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Great deal. Unfortunately way too close to the 13 MBPs.

I think the 13" MBP is a no-brainer for all but the most cash-strapped. By the time you bump up the white MacBook to 4GB to get to the specs of the 13" MBP, the upgrade to the aluminum body, FW800, SD card, battery indicator, and backlit keyboard in the stock 13" MPB is only a benjamin more.

They'd sell a lot more of these if they made a throwback black MacBook again. Unfortunately, I recently sold my BlackBook (and miss it already, even if it was getting to be too slow for certain tasks)...
  • Reply 66 of 117
    predragpredrag Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garybau View Post

USB2 can do the target disk now with snow leopard

even less reason to have firewire

Not correct. There is NO TARGET mode via USB2, nor will there EVER be target mode via USB (any flavour).

There are fundamental differences between Firewire and USB that make it possible (and easy) to implement target mode on FW, and completely prevent implementation of it on USB.

Firewire is Peer-to-peer architecture, where devices intelligently negotiate communication and conflicts between themselves. All Apple had to do is build interface in the firmware of the computer that would essentially turn the whole Mac into a big Firewire external hard disk.

USB is master-slave architecture. One device is a hub, all others are child devices. You cannot daisy-chain USB devices the way you can FireWire. There is a reason why USB plugs are different on each end (and Firewire are the same): master devices have flat sockets, while slaves have square ones, so there's never confusion which one is which. Think about it: if you connect a USB cable into your MacBook (the flat end), where would you plug the other (square) end? It cannot go into any USB plug on another Mac; the only thing you can connect to it is a printer, scanner, digital camera, etc. (oh, and by the way, those cheap mini-enclosures for 2.5" hard drives that have the slotted USB socket and a slotted-to-slotted USB cable are in violation of USB standards, since the slotted socket can only be on a master USB device, and hard drives are slaves. Using those cables to connect two computers can fry either or both computers' USB interfaces).

So, if firewire ends up disappearing from the Mac line, so will the target mode.

The only feature of target mode for which there will be no equivalent is the ability to connect the Mac as an external hard disk and mount it on another mac. All other features (user/data migration, etc) are available via Ethernet or Airport.
  • Reply 67 of 117
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

"These are all photoshopped!

I'm tired of these blurry pics!

You can't make anything out in that video!

I call shenanigans!"

HEY SOLIPSIM, WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR QUOTE A FEW DAYS AGO ABPUT THIS LEAK BEING FAKE???

Did it ever occur to you that Solipsism is more closely connected to Apple than you think, and was just throwing some misdirection out there?

Either that or they are just living up to their namesake.
  • Reply 68 of 117
    fahrwahrfahrwahr Posts: 11member
    Quote:

I believe you're confusing boot capability with target disk mode. The newest (and perhaps all) Intel Macs support booting from an external drive via USB, but there's no evidence that Apple has added support for Target Disk Mode via USB -- Apple's support site still only mentions FireWire.

Even if Apple were to support that feature, it still doesn't remedy the fact that as it stands the MacBook only has two ports for external hardware, necessitating a hub if you want to connect more than two devices. If Apple wants to drop FireWire, the least it could do would be to add a third USB port.
  • Reply 69 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Except that if you're a UK resident, you're required to pay the VAT when entering the country (and possibly import duties, as well). So there's no gain for law-abiding citizens.

If, OTOH, you're advocating criminal activity, you might as well just steal one.

Wow, you'd still have to pay VAT if you bought something from outside the country? That's a little nuts.

Of course, I live in Delaware, where there is NO sales tax on anything at all So, $999.00 is $999.00 to me.

How would they know you bought a computer on your trip though? Do you have to declare it on your way out of the country?
  • Reply 70 of 117
    tshorttshort Posts: 46member
    The difference is due to the huge honking Type G adapter that the British use!

The power adapter itself is 120V/240V, it's the plug end that's different.
  • Reply 71 of 117
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gamrin View Post

So the new MB starts out $200 less than a 13" MBP. By the time you put 4 GB of RAM in the MB, it'll be only $100 cheaper. By spending just $100 more for the MBP, you get firewire, an SD card slot, aluminum enclosure, and backlit keyboard. In all seriousness, considering the minute difference in price, why would anyone buy a MacBook over the low-end 13" MacBook Pro?

I wonder the same thing, honestly.

I've also learned to hate the white color. Not only does it get dirty as hell, but it also means more reflected light.

I wouldn't mind seeing a polycarbonate case in a different color by default. They could basically make it the exact same color scheme as the aluminum MacBooks, just with plastic instead.
  • Reply 72 of 117
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Does anyone know if the updated white MacBook got audio out on the mini-DisplayPort connector like the refreshed MBPs got? (Not that I'm interested in that model of MacBook, I'm just curious when it will show up in the mini...)

Yes, http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

"HDMI output using a third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter"
  • Reply 73 of 117
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Predrag View Post

Not correct. There is NO TARGET mode via USB2, nor will there EVER be target mode via USB (any flavour).

The only feature of target mode for which there will be no equivalent is the ability to connect the Mac as an external hard disk and mount it on another mac. All other features (user/data migration, etc) are available via Ethernet or Airport.

I do a lot of cloning onto machines via FireWire and the loss of FireWire is a bit of a bummer, to say the least. With 4 FireWire cables I could clone 1-4 machines at a time, which was a big convenience.

Now I basically need to boot the machine via USB drive and do disk imaging from there, but I am limited by the number of USB drives I have. I can use NetBoot on OSX Server and image a bunch of computers at a time via Ethernet, limited only by the size of my switched router. But that requires that I have OSX Server.

I will say that the Migration Tool via Ethernet is speedy and trouble-free. I would recommend getting a CAT6 cable to make this as fast as possible.
  • Reply 74 of 117
    predragpredrag Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fahrwahr View Post

I believe you're confusing boot capability with target disk mode. The newest (and perhaps all) Intel Macs support booting from an external drive via USB, but there's no evidence that Apple has added support for Target Disk Mode via USB -- Apple's support site still only mentions FireWire.

As I said (see above), USB target mode CANNOT be done. It is not technologically possible, due to the fact that USB is master-slave architecture, and NOT peer-to-peer.
  • Reply 75 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

"These are all photoshopped!

I'm tired of these blurry pics!

You can't make anything out in that video!

I call shenanigans!"

You mean this post said in jest, mimicking the naysayers? I am amazed at people's inability to understand irony. The images and video were very clear. There was nothing blurry about them.

And since when have I ever spouted off short troll-like exclamations in a hostile Teckstudian manner without explaining my reasoning? Clearly you missed my attempt at satire. I surely don't expect you to find it funny, but you should at least be aware when an attempt is being made.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Since Apple is using Intel chipsets, they won't have USB3 until Intel delivers - and there's no time frame on that.

2011 is when Intel will be adding USB3.0 support to their chipsets. You can buy chips now for USB3.0. While Apple may wait for the Intel solution it's not an imperative. I hope they don't wait for Intel's solution.
  • Reply 76 of 117
    Quote:

From what I read, the VAT in the UK went up to 17.5% at the beginning of 2010. The price without tax in the UK would be £840/1.175=£714. £714 is about $US1050 in today's exchange rate.

So, you're paying about $US50 (which is about £34) more — I understand that is a little annoying, but it is hardly "swapping the $ sign for a £ sign". That £34 might be related to extra costs of doing business in the UK, or it might be Apple taking more profit — either way, it's not THAT much.
  • Reply 77 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulSorensen View Post

From what I read, the VAT in the UK went up to 17.5% at the beginning of 2010. The price without tax in the UK would be £840/1.175=£714. £714 is about $US1050 in today's exchange rate.

So, you're paying about $US50 (which is about £34) more — I understand that is a little annoying, but it is hardly "swapping the $ sign for a £ sign". That £34 might be related to extra costs of doing business in the UK, or it might be Apple taking more profit — either way, it's not THAT much.

And the VAT doesn't account for any of the other expenses attributed to the importing such goods. It's quite reasonable which makes me think they expect the dollar to gain in strength and/or the pound to fall before the next revision.
  • Reply 78 of 117
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulSorensen View Post

So, you're paying about $US50 (which is about £34) more ? I understand that is a little annoying, but it is hardly "swapping the $ sign for a £ sign". That £34 might be related to extra costs of doing business in the UK, or it might be Apple taking more profit ? either way, it's not THAT much.

Interestingly, that $50 is almost exactly equal to the 5% import duty in the UK. So, after subtracting VAT and import duties, the price is essentially identical.

So much for the whiners.
  • Reply 79 of 117
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    Other than the increased memory, what else does the 13" MacBook Pro offer over the new MacBook.

???
  • Reply 80 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hledgard View Post

Other than the increased memory, what else does the 13" MacBook Pro offer over the new MacBook.

???

Aluminum unibody enclosure. FireWire 800, built-in SD card slot, backlit keyboard, and a battery level indicator. If that's the form factor you are looking for, it's totally worth the $100 price difference between the 13" MBP and the 13" white MacBook upgraded to 4GB.

IMO, FW800 alone is worth the difference just to get target disk mode support.