Apple's iPad believed to be outselling Macs in the US

Comments

• Reply 41 of 121
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

I can understand that the iPad would work well for traveling. But for everyday use?

But for a general-use portable, especially for watching video and surfing the web, I'm starting to think that the whole tablet form factor is flawed.

But in the evenings, when I've retired to my stateroom, I'd rather have a real computer at my disposal. Just sitting there, already booted up, and left running for the duration. The little pad can't replace that.

My iPad has eliminated my need for the Netbook at home. (Still have my laptop at the office, and my wife's at home.) It is easier to use for most things, and it does a pretty good job. With my bluetooth keyboard, I can actually write a report with it. My primary uses are tracking stocks and the web.

There are a large number of things that piss me off about the iPad, many of which will be addressed with the OS 4.0 update, and many of which require a hardware update. (Just this morning, I realized I didn't have a song I wanted to listen to on my iPad. Had to transfer it from Wife's laptop to USB memory stick, to my laptop at work, to my iPad.)

And... I actually had a moment where the device was useless without Flash. Cursed Versus and their over-the-time-limit coverage of the Am*** Tour of California screwing with my Tivo...
  • Reply 42 of 121
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I eventually expect to see an Surface-type iMac device that rests on your desk at an elevated position instead of just lying flat like the MS Surface. I wouldn't be surprised either if it was running Intel hardware. Instead of using keyboard shortcuts it will gesture-based with the multitouch dictionary Apple has patented twice over the past three years. Companies like Adobe will have to rethink the UI for their pro apps which most would say is a long time coming. Features will not be lost but rearranged.

I have seen Jobs write the PC is changing, the recent iPad ad says this is just the beginning and Ive says at the end of the iPad guided tour that this is direction they're headed in. I don't think the change is immediate and will probably take place over a decade. It will be interesting to see what Jobs has to say at the All Things D conference.

Very interesting thoughts.

But how do you square such a product with Apple's declaration that they are now a Mobile Device Company?
  • Reply 43 of 121
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

"retired to my stateroom". That's code for surfing prOn, right?

Is this supposed to be a joke? If so I don't get it.

FWIW, half of my tens days traveling with the iPad were onboard a cruise ship. Not sure how it goes on other cruise lines, but the one we sail with provides pretty poor wifi signal levels in the staterooms which only complicates using the very pokey satellite internet they make available to passengers. The reception is far better in the public areas on the ship, so that's where I used the iPad mainly.
  • Reply 44 of 121
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:

Very interesting thoughts.

But how do you square such a product with Apple's declaration that they are now a Mobile Device Company?

emphasis on the word now perhaps? just a thought
  • Reply 45 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I'm happy for Apple that they are having success with this product. But I sure don't understand it. A real MacBook is such a better choice.

It's hard to understand sometimes until you actually USE it. I know I was a sceptic about the iPhone, but within a minute of using one at the Apple store, I saw the amazing potential (and I remember having the same experience with a Mac in 1985). I've had my iPad for 6 weeks and am addicted. Sure you wouldn't want not spend a lot of time doing content creation on it, but for content consumption (ie, what 90+% of Internet users do) it is fantastic. Took it on an 8 hr plane ride a couple of weeks ago & it was perfect. Left it in my bag through security, listened to podcasts, watched some TV, read an ibook, played a few games & surfed the net (love the Delta in flight Internet) and even checked my work email & sent a note telling everyone I would be late due to flight delays. And the light weight & 10 hr battery life were great. And of course unlimited 3G Internet for $30/month with no contract is pretty sweet too. And the GPS. And if I am REALLY missing my Macbook, I can just VNC it, and it looks pretty nice on the iPad display(where I can move anything i want in to Dropbox and get it almost instantly on my iPad).
  • Reply 46 of 121
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

I can understand that the iPad would work well for traveling. But for everyday use?

The more I think about it, the less I want a tablet as a multi-purpose device. I can see the allure of cheap tablets laying around the house, each perhaps with limited useability, but each one working well for limited tasks.

But for a general-use portable, especially for watching video and surfing the web, I'm starting to think that the whole tablet form factor is flawed.

They seem great for reading text, however. I used to carry around 25 full length novels on my PDA. Add a bunch of movies and other entertainment, and I can see why a tablet would be great for traveling.

But in the evenings, when I've retired to my stateroom, I'd rather have a real computer at my disposal. Just sitting there, already booted up, and left running for the duration. The little pad can't replace that.

For the past two weeks, I have carried only the iPad to work. I used to carry my MBP15 every day prior to that.

To my surprise, I have discovered that part of it was just 'letting go.' It is somewhat surprising how little you need your 'main' computer. (I do work on that at home in the evenings, though).

That said, it is important to do a bit of planning ahead, with making sure that you have access to the likely files that you may need during the day. (Fwiw, I find Dropbox to be a terrific app for that purpose).
  • Reply 47 of 121
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Sounds great. I understand that for traveling, for lots of people, the iPad could be great.

I question whether it might be best for me, for an everyday casual use device.

I'd love a good/real web browser tablet on my couch. An ebook reader next to the bed.

But for anything/everything else, for me, I prefer a full experience and the ability to have a real keyboard and the convenience of not having to hold the damn thing every second.

So I question my former interest in tablet computers. And I question whether my disappointment with the limitations of the iPad. I'm not sure what I was thinking a tablet computer might be.

ISTM that the iPad is neither simple/cheap enough to have multiple ones laying around the house, ready to be taken to the beach or on the bus or to the throne. And it is not capable enough to do everything well.

So I'm in a quandry, but I'm impressed with the capabilities and longevity of my kid's netbook. It is as capable as my old laptop - more even. It has a webcam and wireless n, and it lasts all day unplugged. It outputs 1080p/5.1 channel sound via HDMI.

And I could have bought 3 of them for the price of some iPads, with money left over for cool software..

I'm not sure I get the distinction between "casual" and other kinds of uses. Since needs vary so much between individuals, when use becomes not-causal seems completely arbitrary to me. One person can't easily tell another when they cross that line. I'm also not sure why you think you'd need a number of devices like an iPad laying around the house. They are very portable, you know.

The virtual keyboard definitely takes some getting used to. At this point at least, I would not want to be typing on it extensively, but I may change my mind about that as I get used to it. As for holding the iPad, this is not an issue. You set it on your lap or a table just like book or a laptop.
  • Reply 48 of 121
    richwlrichwl Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Not bad for a device that was declared an "EIPIC FAIL" by the resident trolls because it doesn't have a USB port. And all us, fanboys and trolls alike, need to finally realize that our preferences and opinions are meaningless in the face of the mass market. We are an ittsy-bittsy, teesy-weensy minority who would like to think we know what will sell and what will not. Calling the mass market too dumb or too stupid to know what they need only shows our own complete ignorance.

Very well put. Most people really have pretty basic needs when it comes to computers. They could care less about the things that techies want or what serious gamers want. For the most part they want to surf the web, look at pictures, send/receive emails and consume media. The iPad does all of this very well (or at least well depending). It's actually the perfect device for the mass market. Techies will never understand this because they want these devices to serve their needs. What Apple realizes is that there is one hell of a lot more money in serving the computing needs of the general public.
  • Reply 49 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

APPLE is preparing for international launch of Ipad and diverting most of its suppliers to producing product for that launch. That is why it's almost impossible to find an IPAD in the U.S. at this time.

Hard to believe that people are favoring a Media device over a laptop but in the short run maybe.

Lastly, I'd like to know how the analyst in this story got his volume conclusion when APPLE has NOT made any statements after the one about selling a million IPADS in 28 days.

Also most stores haven't had any IPADS for over 2 weeks.

It's may be impossible maybe to FIND iPads in stores, but they are getting shipments everyday (or about.) Basically sell them all before they hit the shelves. A number of units are sold online too. Supply is getting set aside for international, but US demand is definitely solid.

I totally see people favoring iPad to a laptop. Obviously, iPad has fewer capabilities, but only a small segment of users really want/need those laptop features. In addition, most all the functions they would perform on a laptop, a tablet provides much better experience.
  • Reply 50 of 121
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I eventually expect to see an Surface-type iMac device that rests on your desk at an elevated position instead of just lying flat like the MS Surface. I wouldn't be surprised either if it was running Intel hardware. Instead of using keyboard shortcuts it will gesture-based with the multitouch dictionary Apple has patented twice over the past three years. Companies like Adobe will have to rethink the UI for their pro apps which most would say is a long time coming. Features will not be lost but rearranged. ...

Touch interfaces on current desktop/laptop form factors are pretty much useless, except as novelty features. For them to become generally useful, the computer form factor will certainly need to evolve. But, one has to consider that touch will never be as precise as what can be achieved with current mouse/pad interfaces, simply because one's finger is larger and tends to obscure what one is touching. So, it's a question of, what tasks does one perform at workstation computers and what sorts of input interfaces are they best served by. Physical keyboards and mice may go away, but I'm not convinced that a separation of display and input devices is destined for elimination.
  • Reply 51 of 121
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Looks like Apple needs to report their numbers again, the bullsh*t artists and stock manipulators are at work again.

What was the last BS article? That Apple has sold 500,000 iPads when they acknowledged it was 300,000?

Perhaps that's the purpose, to get Apple to report by stating something ultra-outrageous.

Reducing supply below demand is a marketing trick.

It can be detrimental as people get over their impulsiveness to buy a iPad and reconsider, realizing the iPads limitations and it's dependence upon a computer for it's updates/operation.

Hmm, could Apple be restricting iPad supply to get people to buy a Mac instead?

Apple is always upselling, always.

You are hilarious. Every statement you make is a whine about how everyone is wrong, and Apple really sucks. Good luck with that.
  • Reply 52 of 121
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlbrown23 View Post

It's hard to understand sometimes until you actually USE it.

That's absolutely right. Heck, even my mother, who has never shown any interest in computers before, beyond knowing how to send the occasional e-mail, played with one in the Apple shop on Monday and is now planning on getting one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by richwl View Post

Very well put. Most people really have pretty basic needs when it comes to computers. They could care less about the things that techies want or what serious gamers want. For the most part they want to surf the web, look at pictures, send/receive emails and consume media. The iPad does all of this very well (or at least well depending). It's actually the perfect device for the mass market. Techies will never understand this because they want these devices to serve their needs. What Apple realizes is that there is one hell of a lot more money in serving the computing needs of the general public.

I agree completely. Because internet forums tend to be populated by techie types, it's more than likely that the limitations as perceived by that type of person are going to be hyped beyond belief, but Apple have an uncanny knack of knowing what average consumers want, and there are a lot more average consumers out there than there are techie people.

It's similar to the iPod/Zune battle. Microsoft assumed that if they added more features (radio & that bizarre wireless music sharing thing) it would make the Zune better than the iPod. It flopped majestically as they were features most people just didn't care about.
  • Reply 53 of 121
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

You are hilarious. Every statement you make is a whine about how everyone is wrong, and Apple really sucks. Good luck with that.

Indeed. I find it entertaining that despite having been proven completely wrong, the "iPad will fail" merchants still argue that black is white.
  • Reply 54 of 121
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

The more I think about it, the less I want a tablet as a multi-purpose device. I can see the allure of cheap tablets laying around the house, each perhaps with limited useability, but each one working well for limited tasks.

They seem great for reading text, however. I used to carry around 25 full length novels on my PDA. Add a bunch of movies and other entertainment, and I can see why a tablet would be great for traveling.

The way I see it and this is just my opinion, for most of us an iPad is an 'additional' product not a replacement for anything. Sometimes it takes faith or imagination to 'get' a new product category. It is, without doubt, a luxury item for most. However, over time and with a few updates it would serve many who have only modest requirements as a replacement for a laptop at least. Give it a few years and it may serve even more ambitious needs.
  • Reply 55 of 121
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Touch interfaces on current desktop/laptop form factors are pretty much useless, except as novelty features.

I wholly agree and it's similar to putting a round peg in a square hole.

Quote:

But, one has to consider that touch will never be as precise as what can be achieved with current mouse/pad interfaces, simply because one's finger is larger and tends to obscure what one is touching. So, it's a question of, what tasks does one perform at workstation computers and what sorts of input interfaces are they best served by. Physical keyboards and mice may go away, but I'm not convinced that a separation of display and input devices is destined for elimination.

There are certain instances where a mouse might be a better solution than touch and the same situation exists between a stylus and a mouse. For things like precise movie editing in pro apps, I believe there can be sufficient workarounds with a properly thought out UI.

As for drawing/photo editing solutions, I would never rule out a stylus-based solution which is generally better than using a mouse. Apple may want the primary input to be touch but it is quite possible that they will create other solutions. The only issue, from videos I've seen, is that you need to use a glove on that hand so it doesn't get recognized by the touchscreen when you rest your hand to draw or edit.

I won't ever expect hard keyboards to go away since there isn't a better way for text entry but I do see the mouse disappearing.
  • Reply 56 of 121
    Quote:

Touch interfaces on current desktop/laptop form factors are pretty much useless, except as novelty features. For them to become generally useful, the computer form factor will certainly need to evolve. But, one has to consider that touch will never be as precise as what can be achieved with current mouse/pad interfaces, simply because one's finger is larger and tends to obscure what one is touching. So, it's a question of, what tasks does one perform at workstation computers and what sorts of input interfaces are they best served by. Physical keyboards and mice may go away, but I'm not convinced that a separation of display and input devices is destined for elimination.

I suspect one day an Apple product with a large format screen laid back at a comfortable angle that does allow such apps as Final Cut Studio to be controlled by touch will exist. Accuracy for precise point of contact is easily achieved by zooming which is so simple in the touch interface. Plus there is no reason why for pros a stylus couldn't be used in addition for dealing with fine detail although zooming and contextual awareness will allow for many needs to be met such as adding a new point on a spline or similar fine detailed operation. I will eat my hat if this doesn't come to pass in the next few years. I will nip out and get a rice paper hat just in case
  • Reply 57 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Indeed. I find it entertaining that despite having been proven completely wrong, the "iPad will fail" merchants still argue that black is white.

I am often curious are the 'SpotOffs' et al here to annoy, total idiots or paid to disrupt the possitive energy
  • Reply 58 of 121
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    AAPL is down a lot today, imo its a great time to buy more stocks before the next quarter results are out which will probably bring it to near 300$.

CRUS is down a lot too. Barging hunters here is your heads up.

Regarding the canabilizing issues, imo if you replace 200$ ipod touch with a 500$ iPad, its a good deal for Apple.
  • Reply 59 of 121
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Hmm, could Apple be restricting iPad supply to get people to buy a Mac instead?

Apple is always upselling, always.

I sort of doubt it. the cheapest Macbook is $1000. The cheapest iPad is $500. Thats half the price.

I doubt many people will fork over another $500 just so they don't have to wait a few days to a week to get the iPad.

If the Macbook even comes into play in that scenario, then maybe thats what you need to get.
  • Reply 60 of 121
    Quote:

I was trying to sound classy about it....

And I had to come along and get all trashy. You really can't take me anywhere...