AT&T caps new iPhone, iPad data plans at 2GB, announces tethering

Comments

• Reply 21 of 359
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    These plans are for your own good believe it or not. A lot of people are forgetting that the new iPhone will do Video chat, if the AT&T Network turned to crap with just push notifications what do you thing video chatting will do?? This needs to be done cause some people just don't realize that your on a network being share with others.
  • Reply 22 of 359
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Those sound like incredibly shitty plans. So, not only will there be a hard cap, but on top of the cap you will have to pay significantly more for tethering?

Agreed. If they're going to cap the plan, then paying extra for tethering is just a rip-off.
  • Reply 23 of 359
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,208member
    I say good for AT&T. There will be tremendous tantrums thrown by crybabies all over the place, but this is the single best thing AT&T can do to improve the experience people have on their network and it is totally, unambiguously rational. Maybe they finally realized that they could never hope to build their way out of their problems. Rational pricing is the only answer.
  • Reply 24 of 359
    katonahkatonah Posts: 95member
    So... with this new plan I can pay $25 (instead of the current $30), and add $20 for tethering, and use the tethering to get 3G service on my iPad, thus allowing me to avoid paying $30 per month for the iPad 3G service? Or am I missing something?
  • Reply 25 of 359
    benalexebenalexe Posts: 30member
    Anyone have any idea how this will work with a family plan?

My wife has a 3gs. My son is in middle school and wants his own cell phone. I was going to get him a regular texting phone for $9.99 a month more but wonder if now the family plan may make sense? For a couple of bucks more I can get him an ipone?
  • Reply 26 of 359
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Sheesh!

Let's see...5 GB for $30/mo or 2 GB for $25/mo. What a screw job AT&T!!!!!!

I hope someone files a complaint with the FCC. (Hint! The FCC already thinks the wireless carriers are overcharging for their services. This should pretty much resolve any remaining doubts.)

On top of that there is no way to keep track of your usage until you get your warning message. I guess streaming music is out of the question.

I was having doubts about the iPhone 4G in the first place and this might just drive me to another carrier and Android.
  • Reply 27 of 359
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 142member
    I have to admit, I had a brief moment of panic when I read this story.

Then I used the AT&T MyWireless app to check my data usage (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-...309172177?mt=8) and discovered that I'm no where near the 2Gb limit, and I considered myself a heavy iPhone user. I guess I'll have to revise my thinking!
  • Reply 28 of 359
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

So... with this new plan I can pay $25 (instead of the current $30), and add $20 for tethering, and use the tethering to get 3G service on my iPad, thus allowing me to avoid paying $30 per month for the iPad 3G service? Or am I missing something?

Unless Apple adds wifi tethering to the iPhone, you won't be able to use the tethering option to get 3G access on your iPad (unless you use another smartphone that has can share it's connection via wifi).

So, you would end up paying $45 instead of your current $30. You would lose unlimited data but gain tethering (USB and BT) on your iPhone.
  • Reply 29 of 359
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Prices seem fair to me. I don't even use 1 gig and never tether. I like the pricing model. At least I can grandfather my unlimited plan, which applies to all current iPhone users and transfers to the new iPhone model.
  • Reply 30 of 359
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I could just drop her data plan to 200MB or switch it to 2GB on demand and save some bucks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

be careful that you understand what is happening here. Your comment sounds like you think it's a pay as you go type plan where you pay for data 2GB at a time. It's not. on the phone it is 2 GB per month every month on contract, if you go over you can add data 1gb at a time until the month runs out. but if you don't use it all, sucks for you. there's no data carryover. same on the ipad but without the contract part.

so I would be sure that you don't go over 2gb (maybe that month you guys were on vacation but otherwise not) before you drop down.

I understand it just fine. Do YOU understand it?

Quote:

The carrier's going to be very flexible about changing between the DataPlus and DataPro plans -- if you're on DataPlus, for example, and you discover that you're blowing past your allotment, you can choose either to start DataPro the following billing cycle, pro-rate it, or apply the higher plan retroactively to the beginning of your current billing cycle. That's pretty wild.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/02/a...ethering-comi/

If my wife were to use 300MB while on DataPlus (200MB), I could switch to DataPro (2GB) within that same month and have it retroactively apply.
  • Reply 31 of 359
    hodgkinhodgkin Posts: 20member
    I really thought that ATT had gotten this whole thing "right" for the iPad. No contracts, buy on the device, reasonable rates, simple plans, easy upgrade path, blah, blah. What's surprising to me is that they're changing these plans SO soon after the introduction of the iPad. I mean, I suppose these plans are subject to change, but this is a pretty quick change -- it's barely been a month.
  • Reply 32 of 359
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirespeed View Post

It's a lot like how after I've gone through a two year contract with my subsidized phone, the monthly costs of the contract don't decrease.

that I totally agree with. The device cost subsidy should be a separate line item, spread evenly across the term of the contract and once it runs out, you don't have to pay it anymore.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

At some point, this is going to become a genuine conflict. I suspect that when it does that we will finally have a Verizon iPhone.

You think Verizon etc wouldn't do the same thing. Prepare for a surprise.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

So... with this new plan I can pay $25 (instead of the current $30), and add $20 for tethering, and use the tethering to get 3G service on my iPad

Tethering is not possible with the ipad. The OS doesn't have it included at this point in time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by benalexe View Post

Anyone have any idea how this will work with a family plan?

Family plans are voice and (if you choose) texting. Every phone has to have a data plan. So you will pay an extra $9.99 to put the phone on the family plan and then an extra data plan. And that's on top of the cost of the phone which will be at least $100 out of your pocket. Plus a $325 minus prorate ETF.
  • Reply 33 of 359
    quashquash Posts: 23member
    All I gotta say is +1 for iPhone on T-mobile
  • Reply 34 of 359
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

I have to admit, I had a brief moment of panic when I read this story.

Then I used the AT&T MyWireless app to check my data usage (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-...309172177?mt=8) and discovered that I'm no where near the 2Gb limit, and I considered myself a heavy iPhone user. I guess I'll have to revise my thinking!

You start tethering even modestly and you will get much higher much faster.

Before tethering was in iPhone OS, I was hitting highs of maybe ~1.5GB a month with my average probably being around 500MB. When tethering was enabled, coincidently my office started actively blocking many sites from their network (sports, social, youtube, etc). I bring my person MBP to work usually and was thus cutoff. But, because I can now tether, I leave it connected my to Mac at work and do my personal browsing on that. I easily push 3-4GB a month now, with what I would call casual browsing on my Mac. No big file transfers, no torrents. I also use various apps for streaming music and videos from my home Mac to my phone and when I am at work, that now comes in over 3G instead of wifi (as my office also banned personal devices from the wifi) but not very often. I am about 1/3 of the way into my current billing period and at 1.5GB.
  • Reply 35 of 359
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You weren't right at all. You said AT&T was going to raise the price for unlimited data. That is clearly not what they've done. They've offered variable pricing to meet the amount of data that most people actually use. Trust me they are going to charge more for LTE.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

All I've got to say is Tenobell, I was right. Us geeks know that AT&T's former plan, even when called unlimited had a small print limit of 5 gigs. Since you cannot buy one gig alone on the new plan that means AT&T has raised the cost of obtaining 5 gigs from $30 to $75. Do we even want to go into what it would cost via the 200 meg/$15 plan?

• Reply 36 of 359
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Well it's about effin' time. Now I can finally upgrade past OS 3.0.1.

Though I'm sure there will be a lot of complaints about the 2GB limit...
  • Reply 37 of 359
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    Only the most cultish of Apple fanboy will spin this ripoff as something good. The people who just purchased the iPad 3Gs with the happy promises of unlimited data plan are now finding out that Lord Jobs & AT&T have essentially lied through their teeth. Mass returns, class action lawsuits, FTC, you name it.
  • Reply 38 of 359
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

This might save me a bit of money. My wife barely goes over 150MB or so and she surely won't go over 2GB on her iPhone 3GS. I could just drop her data plan to 200MB or switch it to 2GB on demand and save some bucks. Hell, a $15 savings a month is a big flippin' deal.

Hell, I could probably even drop down to the 2GB plan myself and save another $5 a month. I think the most I ever used in a month was 1GB, and that was because I was tethering in Las Vegas because the hotel Wi-Fi during CES 2010 was absolutely horrible.

I know that a lot of people will bitch about this, but it works for me

I'm totally with you on this. My wife hasn't gone over 25MB in each of the last four months and I'm sure it's no different in the months before that. Sounds like I can cut her data plan to the 200MB, I'll save $15/month and she'll be perfectly fine. Heck, just checking the last few months of usage for myself, I haven't gone over 200MB either. Sounds like I'll be fine with the 2GB plan (just to be safe) and I'll end up saving a total of $20/month (between our two data plans).
  • Reply 39 of 359
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Yep, what a ripoff! I was considering moving from Verizon to AT&T just to get an iPhone, but now I'm definitely going to stick with Verizon and hope they get the iPhone soon. If not, Droid here I come... This just proves there's no real competition out there in the mobile wireless market. It's Verizon, AT&T, and pretty much all the non-players in the market who don't have enough infrustructure - and we all suffer.
  • Reply 40 of 359
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    These knee jerk reactions completely miss out on the real world usage of data. The 65% of people who don't use above 200MB won't have to pay for an unlimited data plan that they won't use. AT&T allows all iPhone users to use it's public WiFi network for free.

This will also allow AT&T to deal with data hogs and charge them for their use. Which should help improve the network.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBR View Post

Sheesh!Let's see...5 GB for $30/mo or 2 GB for $25/mo. What a screw job AT&T!!!!!!