Shattered iPhone 4 photographed to challenge Apple's durability claims

Comments

• Reply 181 of 210
    Why dont just people stop dropping their phones? I've had the 3G for about 2 years and all I get in damage are some scratches on the bezel and some tiny damage on the plastic back, front glass is pristine...
  • Reply 182 of 210
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thekd80 View Post

Call me paranoid and a conspiracy theorist but something is weird about the glass at that website.

The website that did the test posted another photo of the broken glass.

http://www.ifixyouri.com/blog/?p=62

Look at the hole where the front camera is. There appears to be a crack that runs all the way across it, and it also appears to be flat glass.

Look at any photo of the iPhone 4 on Apple's website and you'll see that the front camera hole is indented, just the like the mic hole.

Am I the only one who see's that?

I see it too, and I agree with your assessment. The part they are showing is fundamentally different from the iPhone 4s Apple has been showing when it comes to the camera hole. Note also that the parts lack the speaker grill and this picture, which demonstrates the parts before they were broken and this one of an "assembled" set of white iPhone 4 parts. Notice the white iPhone 4 has not even got the correct Home Button. It's obvious these are cheaper dummies Apple has sent out to allow dimensions etc. to be precisely measured for cases and such.
  • Reply 183 of 210
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Every few years there is a story about how girls at some Middle School suddenly all come down with some vague symptoms like feeling faint, having trouble breathing, etc. Later, after the Fire Department or EPA or whoever checks the place out and finds nothing amiss, it is determined that it was another case of mass hysteria. One girl had low blood sugar or something, and then her empathetic friends feel it too. Before long, rumors of toxic gases spread and soon, the panic that immature people are prone to, seems like the symptoms they heard described and girls (and some boys) start dropping like flies.

Be prepared for the adult iPhone owner version of this phenomenon as soon as the 4 ships. There will be the usual number of breakage mishaps, but they will be singled out and reported as if they are an epidemic. Panic on blogs will ensue. Haters will latch on to the only bad news they can to piss on the iPhone celebration.

Runaway Toyotas fall into this category. Numerous car magazines have tried and failed to accelerate while holding the brake. Can''t be done - the brakes will hold the car even while you floor the accelerator.
  • Reply 184 of 210
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Wait a second, we saw with our own eyes Apple BENDING THE GLASS to a point where you expected it to shatter, now we're being told it shatters after a fall of a few feet?

I don't buy it. I think this is bs, but the people know when everyone gets their iphone, they won't be attempting to prove them wrong.

(yes, I'm very pessimistic when it comes to anything a company says to sell more shit.)

here's the video of the guy taking a baseball bat to an ipad outside best buy on launch day. he dropped it from ~5ft on concrete (corner hit) and the screen didn't crack. i don't know if the glass is different on an ipad, but i know the ipad is a good bit heavier than a phone, so it's going to hit the ground harder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGUppxoJUVg

it's glass, it's going to break if you abuse it enough..

until i see a video of the this test, I will assume that this was a blunt force impact to the upper right (not a flat drop from 3.5 ft) because that's what the picture looks like.
  • Reply 185 of 210
    tmoore44tmoore44 Posts: 12member
    There are at least two impact points in that glass front. This story is retarded.
  • Reply 186 of 210
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Hmm...

From the OP:-

"The firm also argues that the iPhone 4 sports a design flaw that "will bite [Apple] in the future." Is says that in the new device, the glass sits on top of the unit's aluminum frame, where on previous models it was recessed and protected by a chrome bezel."

Isn't the real frame made of stainless steel?

If you were a manufacturer, what would you do with factory seconds such as glass screens which weren't quite up to standard?

One use that springs to mind is using them in dummy handsets that can be provided to accessory manufacturers in order to duplicate the shape, size, colour and feel of the finished product.

Could that explain this?
  • Reply 187 of 210
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igxqrrl View Post

This is my wife's 64GB 3G iPad after a 2-foot drop onto a wood floor. Wood floors are not particularly 'hard'. Granted that's only one data point.

Tisk-tisk, look at those finger prints!

Sorry for your loss, hopefully some form of insurance?
  • Reply 188 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

Does anyone ACTUALLY believe this amount damage was caused by a 3 foot drop?? I'm not saying it's ENTIRELY possible that Apple is overplaying how durable the phone is.. but come on, you can drop a $2 juice glass from Ikea on the ground and it won't cause that much damage.

Maybe they want to clarify some details.. such as, was dropped or thrown. And was it dropped on the ground or a steel pipe.. like seriously..

My iPhone 3G slipped out from my pocket while I was maneuvering my paraglider at Pune, India, in March 2010.

It was a free fall on ground from 300 feet!

The display went full white, but the touch sensitivity was on. I actually called home, by touching the relevant locations on white display by judgement, and told my family about this drop, from that same iPhone!

Not only was the glass intact, even the back plastic case was fairly intact, with some damage marks on it.

The sleep button at the top has went in about half mm and has now become harder to operate.

I had the display replaced next day from a local repairs guy, and am using that same iPhone till date.

Now I plan to buy the latest model, whenever it's available in India.

And yes, I am least bothered about the strength of it's glass!
  • Reply 189 of 210
    hankx32hankx32 Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Yea same here. 3 or 4 weeks into owning my 3G, I rested it on my lap as I was driving, forgot it was there and got out of the car My iPhone landed on the gravely parking lot ground and I nearly had a heart attack. The bezel was quite marred, but the glass was spotless!

this is exactly what happened to me, only my glass did shatter terribly! But the the good news, I just put a layer of scotch tape over it and I'm still using it today after 10 months. Sure it's annoying but soon I'll have a new iPhone 4...
  • Reply 190 of 210
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    If this story is true (WHICH I DOUBT) I'm sure Apple will quickly come out with a IPHONE 4case that will prevent the glass breaking.
  • Reply 191 of 210
    tubbyteetubbytee Posts: 68member
    $30 each for colored rubberbands, that's freakin' ridiculous.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe View Post

I don't understand how those cracks are on the surface, but not on the edges of the glass...?

On the other hand... $30 for a small piece of rubber does seem a bit excessive, no? Oh wait. It does have color options. Do you at least get all 6 colors for that price? Or could people actually spend up to $180 on getting their iPhone to match their outfit?

• Reply 192 of 210
    curtb2curtb2 Posts: 10member
    the kind of fracture you see in that glass came about because the steel frame bent warped what ever you want to call it, in the fall had the big solid battery remained in the unit adding significant lateral bracing to the steel frame, that tork probably would not take place. think of a car in an accident that results in a sprung frame the glass can not bend in such a manner

/ /

/ /

as a result a great deal of stress is built up in the glass, and it pops. I had the same thing happen to my sliding glass door last fall as my house settled. let me tell you that was an experience!

in the lab tests apple bent the glass showing that direct impact wont break it... direct impact did not break this, side impact did. Odds are the batteries solid structure probably would have prevented such a break.
  • Reply 193 of 210
    Windshields (which are also plastic-laminated glass), and sapphire crystals in high end watches (replacing what typically is the glass covering the dial) are very resistant to impact but not shatterproof.

I have a synthetic sapphire crystal on my watch... and I've had it replaced. It's not impervious to damage. It's highly resistant to it, but even thicker than the iPhone's display, and harder than gorilla glass, it chipped on the edges and I had to replace it.

If enough abrupt force is applied, any one of these can chip, break or shatter. Apple never made the claim that it was shatter proof. Just like the makers of Nomex flight jackets only claim that they're fire resistant, not fire proof... or wristwatches that are water resistant are not water proof.

But Apple never once made the claim that the glass is shatter proof. And as several people have pointed out, a corner impact (lateral, rather than frontal, stress) is likely to damage most types of shatter resistant glass.
  • Reply 194 of 210
    doorman.doorman. Posts: 159member
    I prefer my iPhone to be naked.
  • Reply 195 of 210
    i've read many things already now that make me believe it is extremely unlikely this photo is what they claim it to be. Why no video? Why no details?

Leaving this article up is unfair to Apple, but if it gets mouse-clicks for AI then I guess they will continue to run it.
  • Reply 196 of 210
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Apparently the glass is glued to the display, so repairing the glass means replacing the display too.

And the back of the iPhone 4 is glass as well, so double down.
  • Reply 197 of 210
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Without explaining how, iFixYouri says it came into possession of a complete iPhone 4 shell with its glass face in tact (sic), but minus its internal componentry.... The firm did not disclose the surface onto which the unit was dropped, nor did it perform any investigation into whether the device was more susceptible to damage sans its internal components...

Guts removed? Didn't disclose the surface? "Several" drop tests? "Aluminum" frame? Really, there's no need to read more. This is inane junk written by idiots and frankly unworthy of reprinting here.

Anyway...

Quote:

its durability still falls short on sudden impact, which is "what causes 95% of glass shattering. Not because you bent the glass in your pocket, not because you dropped it and it bent, but really because of sudden impact."

ALERT THE MEDIA! Glass is broken by sudden impact! At least, um, 95% of the time. Design flaw! Apple FAIL!!!

What other kind of impact is there anyway? Gradual impact?

"Bumpers" or their functional equivalent will be available on every street corner and mall kiosk for $4.99.
  • Reply 198 of 210
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

What other kind of impact is there anyway? Gradual impact?

Um, yeah, hence the use of a qualifier. To use an extreme example of a non-sudden impact to belabor the point think of tectonic plates. For instance, the Indian Plate impacting the Eurasian Plate and creating the Himalayas.
  • Reply 199 of 210
    danukedanuke Posts: 5member
    Well, after spending so much for the durn phone, what's another thirty bucks. Besides you need it to get the phone to work right. Antenna problems and all that; however; being external and perhaps bigger, are they better in the long run? If so, it's worth it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe View Post

Found the description:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

and it appears that they are indeed selling each individual color for $30.

Gotta hand it to Apple. They sure have no shame.

• Reply 200 of 210
    danukedanuke Posts: 5member
    Naughty, but funny.

Go stand in the Corner!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

LOL!

I just gotta' comment!

You're joking, right! Your opening line has me crying: "If I'm an expert at one thing, it's abusing my equipment."

Kinda' like the macho guy in the TV commercial that brags: "I have a small business!"

Back to your story... maybe if you were more careful about what was between your legs, your wife wouldn't be your ex-wife... and wouldn't feel like throwing things!