Shattered iPhone 4 photographed to challenge Apple's durability claims

Comments

• Reply 121 of 210
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Where did you see the glass being bent by Apple?

On the Apple site. It is in the intro video about the iphone 4.
  • Reply 122 of 210
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    I'm going to take the pessimistic route and say after viewing the video Apple posted about iphone 4 and the stress test on the glass, this outfit is trying to convince folks who haven't seen it to consider buying their product.

iphone 4 hasn't even been released yet so how the heck do they show a cracked up screen?
  • Reply 123 of 210
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Was it posted here simply for advertising revenue from traffic?

Ummmm.....Every article is posted here simply for advertising revenue from traffic. Every single one.

You think these guys do this stuff as a public service?
  • Reply 124 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe View Post

Found the description:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

and it appears that they are indeed selling each individual color for $30.

Gotta hand it to Apple. They sure have no shame.

Show me the part where they put a gun to your head and make you buy them.

Troll bait......
  • Reply 125 of 210
    thetoethetoe Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Troll bait......

Oh, I sincerely doubt I would buy one. What actually amazes me is that other people will.
  • Reply 126 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Wait a second, we saw with our own eyes Apple BENDING THE GLASS to a point where you expected it to shatter, now we're being told it shatters after a fall of a few feet?

They neglected to mention that after the fall, both the iPhone and the owner were run over by a Silver AMG Mercedes.
  • Reply 127 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe View Post

Oh, I sincerely doubt I would buy one. What actually amazes me is that other people will.

Of course they will but who really cares? It's not your money.

Stay in your lane......
  • Reply 128 of 210
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I was all smiles until the price of the rubber ring was revealed. Is Macfixit going to do an analysis on that and find it costs Apple 1.7 cents? "

----- there will be 3rd party units that do the same thing for cheaper. And no it does not cost 1.7 cents. 50,000 $ for the cost of the mold, 125,000 $ for the injection machine, trained labor, and material. The cost for 1 is 175,000$ + the cost for 175,000 is 1$. But only if you sell all of them. :-)

Quote:

"They did mention that the glass was as hard as sapphire crystal, which is what Rolex uses. And you simply cannot scratch it."

----- that is why the glass is hard. So you cannot scratch it easily. :-)

Quote:

"Overall, I was really pumped watching the presentation. So much innovation. But once again, rubber has found a way to slightly deaden my joy.

------ All Apple accessories cost more. They have the Apple name on them. Buy it from Joe's corner junk shop and you may or may not get what you pay for. :-)

Just a thought,

en
  • Reply 129 of 210
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Two weeks after buying my 3GS, the Home button stopped working. I went to the Apple store, and they refused warranty service, because of the moisture indicators. This was before all the bad publicity, and so I thought I had no choice but to pay $200 for a refurb.

So as long as I was paying for a refurb, I decided to test the almost-brand-new defective 3GS's impact resistance. I threw it down hard onto asphalt. Many times.

The first few times it survived. But when it hit on a corner, the glass shattered. The plastic case did not do well with the "abrade on concrete" test either.

It was interesting. And so long as I was getting screwed by Apple, I had no desire to give a device back to Apple that needed only a new button in order for them to refurb and resell.

Interesting story. Sounds like something I might do also, but for the record, if the moisture sensors have gone off they generally don't refurbish, so they wouldn't have resold that one anyway.
  • Reply 130 of 210
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sip View Post

Multiple double entrede not intended? Rubber ring? Pumped? Rubber... deaden joy?

You shouldn't really discuss your sex life on a Mac forum...

Absolutely intended entendres, I'm sure... nicely done too
  • Reply 131 of 210
    $30.00 for a condom! Apple are taking the urine. It should come free with the iPhone. It's blatant greed like this which earns Apple a stinging reputation with some consumers.
  • Reply 132 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

I'm holding out for the iPhone 4 "Will It Blend?" video...THAT will be the real test!

it would be hilarious if Apple's new alloy plugged up the blender. That would give them some kind of awesome cred if they had the first product that *didn't* blend.
  • Reply 133 of 210
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    UPDATE:

It seems Mac Rumors has seen how spurious and unreliable this so-called "test" was... they also had an article about it, and have since pulled it. AI should probably do the same.

It's enough "free advertising" for these guys already... wouldn't you think?
  • Reply 134 of 210
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Yeah, I was shocked at the cost of those. Should be $5.99. At least it isn't a sock.

I bought a World Cup Soccer Hoodie (Italy) for my iPod Video... my it has been a while.

Actually, I suspect something like a Mofie JuicePack Air will be available for the iPhone 4-- protection and extra battery... Excellent product, if they'd ditch that fragile MicroUSB port.

• Reply 135 of 210
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jumper View Post

This has already been talked about. The test was junk. The moron who did it does know how to perform a real product test. I can't believe that Appleinsider is posting the article. Wow...Appleinsider, kind of embarrassing !!!

Mmm... no innards! Wouldn't that make the shell (glass) more susceptible to damage?

• Reply 136 of 210
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Two weeks after buying my 3GS, the Home button stopped working. I went to the Apple store, and they refused warranty service, because of the moisture indicators. This was before all the bad publicity, and so I thought I had no choice but to pay $200 for a refurb.

So as long as I was paying for a refurb, I decided to test the almost-brand-new defective 3GS's impact resistance. I threw it down hard onto asphalt. Many times.

The first few times it survived. But when it hit on a corner, the glass shattered. The plastic case did not do well with the "abrade on concrete" test either.

It was interesting. And so long as I was getting screwed by Apple, I had no desire to give a device back to Apple that needed only a new button in order for them to refurb and resell.

The apple warranty is clear that it doesn't include water damage. You said they refused you because of the moisture indicators.. are you saying they were activated for some reason other then excessive moisture?? I'm not really seeing in your story how apple screwed you..
  • Reply 137 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflie View Post

While Apple's "plunger" demonstration was a very cool and interesting way to demonstrate the new glass, it alone does not assuage the failure mode that most people will experience when they break the glass. I would venture to say that most people, when breaking the iPhone glass, enact a shock load on the surface, usually through a drop. That's where I would want to see an example from Apple. Not how much does it bend, but at what PSI will the glass crack. I'm much more likely to drop the phone onto pavement or a rock than I am to sit on it, causing it to bend enough to shatter the glass.

True enough, but to give Apple credit where credit is due, the old glass was super tough and scratch resistant and the new glass is even tougher.

For instance, you can't scratch the current phone with keys because keys are brass, but you can scratch it with steel (key-rings), or quartz (sand in your pocket). The new phone glass has a hardness rating above both steel and quartz. Whether or not the odd iPhone dropped in just the right way will break or not, the fact is that the new glass is a giant leap forward over the current glass, which is itself pretty amazing already.
  • Reply 138 of 210
    Well they'll have a job iFixing that.

Looks like somebody has sat on it. These things tend to bounce and so get scuff marks and usually a dent or scuff at point of impact. I'd like to see a few more images of this.

Sounds like link-baiting to me.
  • Reply 139 of 210
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Troll bait......

I agree. If you believe the iPhone is that fragile, don't buy one unless you intend to use a protective cover. But I don't trust this article at all. There is no way the glass would shatter like that from a three foot drop. I'll be waiting to see what Apple has to say about this bogus test.
  • Reply 140 of 210
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    I'm not concerned about a test with no specifics. So FAIL on that.

BUT... $30 for a piece of rubber/plastic that Apple puts out the same time as the iPhone 4?? Um, Apple please have your genius engineers build a protective rim into the iPhone in the first place. Thanks.

Again, $30 ?!?! Eat it!