Shattered iPhone 4 photographed to challenge Apple's durability claims

Comments

• Reply 141 of 210
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Article did not say how hard the phone was dropped.

Shame there is no video. \

That is an excellent point! If they were objectively trying to prove or disprove the fragility of the device, they would certainly document the process as well as the results!

• Reply 142 of 210
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    Yes, If they're legit, which is questionable, the fact this is a hollow device invalidates any conclusions, IMO. I had a point and shoot Panasonic camera and I had it in my pocket while the battery was charging on the wall. I bent down to do something on the floor and the screen cracked. It was new so the store replaced it, but I was careful not to carry it around without the battery in and it lasted until the electronics burned out years later.

Still, I don't know why Apple didn't just use Gorilla glass since it's a ready-made solution and amazingly durable. Or maybe they did.
  • Reply 143 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

What the heck does that mean? How do you perform a real product test to see what would happen if the phone were to fall out of your hand from a height? Unless they took a hammer to it, it seems like a legitimate test to me. As someone said, it means that you need to be careful with it and probably still need a case.

... the real question... Does it Blend?

I have one of those Blenders, and am getting an iPhone 4....

...Hmmm..... I wonder...

• Reply 144 of 210
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

I agree. If you believe the iPhone is that fragile, don't buy one unless you intend to use a protective cover. But I don't trust this article at all. There is no way the glass would shatter like that from a three foot drop. I'll be waiting to see what Apple has to say about this bogus test.

If they came across the iPhone 4 sans any innards I wouldn't even be certain the glass is the real glass. Maybe just a demo model. Who the hell knows.
  • Reply 145 of 210
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

I'm not concerned about a test with no specifics. So FAIL on that.

BUT... $30 for a piece of rubber/plastic that Apple puts out the same time as the iPhone 4?? Um, Apple please have your genius engineers build a protective rim into the iPhone in the first place. Thanks.

Again, $30 ?!?! Eat it!

The Bumper is more than just a molded piece of plastic. They do have metal buttons on them, too. Whether you think it's worth $29 or not to protect your phone is another story. You can either not get a case or buy from another vendor, but I have seen crappier cases and protectors for more money. I think I paid $45 for the one I currently use, but that does come with an armband for jogging/gym so it does have other uses and it more complex, but I'm sure the plastic pieces and neoprene band don't come anywhere need that price.

PS: Nutz! I just realized I'll be without a sport case for awhile. I hope Marware has been on top of the iPhone 4 leaks.
  • Reply 146 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marokero View Post

My first gen iPod Touch was run over by a Toyota 4Runner and a Ford Mustang. The glass did not shatter at all, maybe two tiny scratches that don't bother me at all. The metal casing on the back however has a lot of dents and heavy scratches. (I slipped on driveway ice at night and did not notice the iPod had fallen off my jacket pocket). My iPod has also fallen off another jacket's pocket onto hard concrete from about 5 feet, and all it got was a scratch on the upper left corner of the metal casing. If the new iPhone's glass is any stronger than this, than I'm not worried at all.

My 14-year-old granddaughter has a Day 1 iPhone (SIMless) that she uses as an iPod. It slid out of her pocket as she was getting out of the Van and fell 3-4 feet to the cement driveway. It landed on a corner and about 1 inch square of the glass (in that corner) was cracked. A little clear packing tape fixed it up just fine!

• Reply 147 of 210
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

Sure would be nice if people were able to differentiate between "30 times harder than plastic" and "30 times stronger than plastic". Doesn't take much to be harder than plastic - hell, plate glass is harder than most (unhardened) steel! The PCWorld articles quotes Apple as saying, "20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic." They didn't use the word "stronger". If someone has a link to where Apple calls the glass "30 times stronger than plastic," I'd like to read that directly.

Exactly!

People do have to pay close attention to wording, especially in our over-hyped, marketing driven, opportunist, ridiculously litigious society.

I did like watching that video of the glass bending beyond comprehension. That was cool! I wish they would have let us see the rest of the clip when the glass reached the point of failure, that would be interesting to see.
  • Reply 148 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

There are about 100 million iDevices in use today. I think the test data is in.

+++ QFT

Well said!

• Reply 149 of 210
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Interesting story. Sounds like something I might do also, but for the record, if the moisture sensors have gone off they generally don't refurbish, so they wouldn't have resold that one anyway.

Could be.

But given that only one sensor had tripped, their method (which I learned about only later) of checking the internal sensors would have told the real story: the phone had never been exposed to excessive moisture. My guess is that they would have refurbed it, given that knowledge.

Only after I paid the $200 did I learn that the Customer Service (I think that is correct) department at Apple headquarters can and does authorize replacements under my circumstances. The Manager at the iSore had insisted that nobody above him at Apple had any authority to replace the phone. He was a total dick.
  • Reply 150 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

The apple warranty is clear that it doesn't include water damage. You said they refused you because of the moisture indicators.. are you saying they were activated for some reason other then excessive moisture?? I'm not really seeing in your story how apple screwed you..

Yes, that is what I am saying. The tales of these false-positive moisture sensor woes have been widely reported.
  • Reply 151 of 210
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Only after I paid the $200 did I learn that the Customer Service (I think that is correct) department at Apple headquarters can and does authorize replacements under my circumstances. The Manager at the iSore had insisted that nobody above him at Apple had any authority to replace the phone. He was a total dick.

And because you already paid the $200 you felt your only recourse was to bitch about it on an internet forum? Why not file a complaint based on this new info to get your $200 back?

Companies make mistakes, but if you chose not to pursue the matter then only you can be held accountable for that.
  • Reply 152 of 210
    palalunepalalune Posts: 20member
    In case anybody was going to ask ? no, the iPhone 4 will not blend.

Also the test is bogus, the gyro would have stabilized the iphone during the fall. The iPhone 4 will always land on its feet.
  • Reply 153 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And because you already paid the $200 you felt your only recourse was to bitch about it on an internet forum? Why not file a complaint based on this new info to get your $200 back?

Companies make mistakes, but if you chose not to pursue the matter then only you can be held accountable for that.

No, I think that the range of recourse is infinite. As usual, you form conclusions based upon insufficient knowledge.

Indeed I pursued the matter on Monday, first thing in the AM (first thing in Cali, here it was mid-morning). Customer Service was very accommodating and helpful. They contacted the store directly, attempting to talk to the manager.

Had I talked to Customer Service first, they would have authorized a free replacement. But now they had to negotiate a refund for me.

They called back and said they had talked to the store manager, who refused a refund. As it turns out, the man who I talked to, the man who gave me his card bearing the title "Store Manager" was not present at the time of Customer Relation's phone call.

Instead, it was one of the assistant managers, who told customer service that she was the "Store Manger". I confirmed all this. I surmised none of it.
  • Reply 154 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I don't know that it's that much but the site is questionable.

There's spelling and grammar mistake all over it.

It's made on Wordpress which I'm fairly sure you can back date entries just like on Blogger so were those Jan 2010 entries really written then? Hard to know

They offer services that are questionable as they are not done by Apple or any other Apple authorized provider. They don't mention being an AASP either. So anything they do would void your warranty.

They are clueless about tech to the point that they have no clue about 'real world testing' and make a firm statement that Apple leaked the phone etc.

There are several opinion sites that are missing them or have them ranked in the far reaches.

The site owner, according to whois, has 45 other domains. I'm guessing they all hawk his services.

He's been known to hit up boards, especially on Apple and refer folks to this great company, which saying it is his.

From the site:

http://www.ifixyouri.com/blog/?p=59

Quote:

iPhone 4 Glass – Will it break?

On June 9, 2010, in Uncategorized, by Chris

We here at iFixYouri did a little science experiment the other day...

I find that the opening sentence accurately explains the blog and experiment.

There was "little science" involved!

...And, I bet, after their little experiment, they all went to a bar, had a couple of shits, and got "shot-faced!"

• Reply 155 of 210
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    A free fall drop from several feet will not result in a multiple points of direct force impact that is being shown in this photo.

That is the result of several focused blows from an external force directed down on a fixed object.
  • Reply 156 of 210
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Ummmm.....Every article is posted here simply for advertising revenue from traffic. Every single one.

You think these guys do this stuff as a public service?

Oh, no. I have it on the highest authority that the eds and mods NEVER consider page hits when deciding what stories to run or what trolls to banish. You are complete and totally mistaken. Any evidence to the contrary is simply fabricated by those with an agenda... oh, never mind. I can't even type it with a straight face.
  • Reply 157 of 210
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Thanks. Now I know not to hit my iPhone with a hammer... I wonder if that voids your warranty?

Really? Was this story necessary?
  • Reply 158 of 210
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Of course it wasn't a fully assembled unit. Did you read the article?

It states, "a complete iPhone 4 shell with its glass face in tact, but minus its internal componentry".

Fitting of what? It was an empty shell.

Well, if this thing holds water, the glass would have to have been fitted to the frame.

And as another poster pointed out, we don't see that back glass.

So, for this to be a proper test, the glass had to be attached to the frame in some way.

So, "fitted."

Was it fitted, or was it laid on top of the frame after it was broken?

Or as many have posted, is it even the same glass that is shipping with the iPhone 4 and talked about in the Keynote?

Bogus, and self promoting. Nothing more.
  • Reply 159 of 210
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe View Post

You know... if an article has 80 replies to it already, there is just a possible chance that someone has already posted what you are about to type.

So before telling us all how bogus this article is because the case is empty, perhaps you could notice that like 20 other people have already reiterated that?

But of course, if you're not going to read the last 80 posts, you're not going to read this either. So just post whatever is on your mind and expect everyone to read your post, even though you haven't read theirs.

Read your post. Thanks for your help.
  • Reply 160 of 210
    oxygenhoseoxygenhose Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

So I assume you're going to buy one so that you can continue to bitch, right?