Comments

• Reply 81 of 141
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

dude for many many income staved people the ipad is a laptop choice

apple tried to strangle that part of the ipad

but in the end of the day who the f wants to own a mbp and an ipad

maybe a white MB and an ipad will do ?? for some ..

i dunno

if your a gamer MBP is the only choice anyway.

the public made the ipod touch into a gaming machine

and the public will make the ipad into something uin expected also

maybe

baby

ps its looks like the desktop is dead

no ??

No, it's not a 'laptop' choice, it's a new type of device for those who cannot afford and do not need a high powered laptop. Is a pushbike an automobile choice for those who can't afford a car?

Apple haven't tried to strangle anything, why would they have ported iWork if they didn't want people to create basic content on the thing. My point is that this will never be a high end content creation device with the current spec, it's relatively inexpensive because it has lower powered components which cost less to mass produce and place into this type of product. It's not a top end replacement, it's a new way of doing what 90% of the population need to do on their 'computer' - music, web, email, video, casual game play and reading - a media consumption device, however the boundaries are pushed, the A4 processor is not going to edit billboard size images at 300dpi in photoshop, for that you need a high power desktop...

And no, the desktop is not dead.
  • Reply 82 of 141
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

No, it's not a 'laptop' choice, it's a new type of device for those who cannot afford and do not need a high powered laptop. Is a pushbike an automobile choice for those who can't afford a car?

I'd argue that the desktop could find a revival with this new tablet segment coming to existence. Many probably can get more mobility and more machine at a lower price by buying a tablet and a desktop.

PS: Where the heck has brucep been hiding?
  • Reply 83 of 141
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,855member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd argue that the desktop could find a revival with this new tablet segment coming to existence. Many probably can get more mobility and more machine at a lower price by buying a tablet and a desktop. ...

I think this is exactly where the computer market is headed. Laptops will become, once again, mostly for true "road warriors": people who actually, really need to do seriously processor intensive stuff on the road: graphic artists using photoshop, programmers who need to run IDEs and compile code, spreadsheet warriors, and the like, and that doesn't include that many people. It does not, for instance include a programmer who is on vacation and at most needs to log into a server to edit a script. It doesn't include a photographer who just wants to review the days camera shoot. It doesn't include someone who needs to give a presentation and check her email.
  • Reply 84 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

Wait, if numbers are so important than the iPhone 4 has just a 5 MP camera instead of the common 8 MP we see now in the industry. Oh, wait, Steve Jobs says the iPhone 4 camera is better than the others...

App Store for iPad has 10,000 apps and the iPhone has over 100,000! More than any other app store. Steve Jobs says the more apps, the better!

That's an erroneous comparison. Having more pixels aren'g giving you more choices. IOW, you aren't getting the option to sift through pixels to find the one that suits your needs for the photo.

Jobs clearly stated that to achieve higher pixels they would have had to shrink the pixels. This makes the device more marketable for those that don't understand the basics of how these cameras work, but it doesn't make the picture better and can introduce noise to the image (or so I'm told).

Using the appropriate sensors are what can give you a better image. Jobs said that is what they focused on with the iPhone 4 camera. Of course, you can't put the type of sensor on a spec sheet for marketing so you aren't going to find that data even if a vendor is using a quality design. We'll just have to wait for the inevitable image comparisons to see if Jobs was being truthful or using a clever marketing spin and half-truthes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Actually the Evo battery life isn't all that bad. Like with any smartphone if you understand how to manage your device that makes a world of difference.

Looks pretty bad to me, or at least inconvenient. '3G' talk time is 7 hours but since it's a CDMA phone it still uses the '2G' network for the call (which is fine because it uses a better voice algorithm than GSM's '2G'). And since it's not EV-DO Rev. B there is no simultaneous data.

That is hours less than the iPhone 4 on '2G' and the same on '3G'.

The problem is when you turn on '4G'. I've read at least review that showed a drop in talk time down to 3.5 hours. To me, that is unacceptable for a feature that is touted in the name of the device. That pretty much means the user has to keep '4G' turned off to use the device.

I remember when the original iPhone and iPhone 3G came out. People complained that the battery was shit, even saying that their old phone was better, yet every comparison I read showed the iPhone besting other phones expect for CMDA Blackberries when comparing '3G' talk time for the above stated reasons. The issue seems to be that the iPhone is more useful than other phones, but people just didn't realize how much more they were using it to surf the web and whatnot.

I find it interesting that other smartphone vendors aren't focusing much on media usage with their phones. It can be hard to find specs showing internet and media playback times.
    iPhone 4

Talk time:

Up to 7 hours on 3G

Up to 14 hours on 2G

Standby time: Up to 300 hours

Internet use:

Up to 6 hours on 3G

Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi

Video playback: Up to 10 hours

Audio playback: Up to 40 hours
  • Reply 85 of 141
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

This not Apple's fault. How do you search for good music on iTunes? How about a music store? The answer is you can't. You go on word of mouth. When you're dealing with this much content, there are some that will get lost in the fold. It is up to the devs to promote their product.

For me an example of this is Air Video. I found about this through an App of the Day website before most knew about this app. I follow many Mac sites and no one mentioned it. Then, all of a sudden, it blew up. To me, it is one of the top 10 apps on the App Store.

You can't be serious!

Was looking at a pilot using a flight planning app. Tried to find it through iTunes on the desk and iPad. No luck. Thought I remembered the name "flight plan", but it was really myPlan or something. What category was it under? Weather!

Searching is useless, as is browsing. They should not allow the different editions of the same program take up space when browsing. They should have an advanced search tool, where you can drill down into details such as price range, publisher, etc.

If your needs are anything other than the top 36 apps, it is impossible to find anything, or to browse and be inspired. It is nothing that any other online merchant schlepping thousands of products hasn't figured out already!
  • Reply 86 of 141
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,855member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

You can't be serious!

Was looking at a pilot using a flight planning app. Tried to find it through iTunes on the desk and iPad. No luck. Thought I remembered the name "flight plan", but it was really myPlan or something. What category was it under? Weather!

Searching is useless, as is browsing. They should not allow the different editions of the same program take up space when browsing. They should have an advanced search tool, where you can drill down into details such as price range, publisher, etc.

If your needs are anything other than the top 36 apps, it is impossible to find anything, or to browse and be inspired. It is nothing that any other online merchant schlepping thousands of products hasn't figured out already!

I strongly agree with this point. Apple needs to do some major work on the App store to make apps more discoverable. The current organizational structure is seriously deficient.

This is like in the very early days of the web. At one time there were a couple of sites that listed the new web sites that had come on line recently and you could pretty much keep up with what was going on that way. Fairly quickly, that got to be overwhelming and more organized directories popped up, which were useful to find things. In short order, though, the directories just couldn't keep up, except for special case, targeted directories, and the rise of the search engines came about. Now, directories are pretty much out of date as soon as they're updated and finding anything requires a good search engine, often even on individual websites.

I'd say the App Store has reached the size and rate of growth where the current directory approach just doesn't work anymore, for users or developers. The search capabilities need to be seriously improved, or an entirely new scheme for discovering apps implemented. I also think they should start rejecting apps for miscategorization and misleading keywords.
  • Reply 87 of 141
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:

Looks pretty bad to me, or at least inconvenient. '3G' talk time is 7 hours but since it's a CDMA phone it still uses the '2G' network for the call (which is fine because it uses a better voice algorithm than GSM's '2G'). And since it's not EV-DO Rev. B there is no simultaneous data.

The problem is when you turn on '4G'. I've read at least review that showed a drop in talk time down to 3.5 hours. To me, that is unacceptable for a feature that is touted in the name of the device. That pretty much means the user has to keep '4G' turned off to use the device.

I remember when the original iPhone and iPhone 3G came out. People complained that the battery was shit, even saying that their old phone was better, yet every comparison I read showed the iPhone besting other phones expect for CMDA Blackberries when comparing '3G' talk time for the above stated reasons. The issue seems to be that the iPhone is more useful than other phones, but people just didn't realize how much more they were using it to surf the web and whatnot.

I find it interesting that other smartphone vendors aren't focusing much on media usage with their phones. It can be hard to find specs showing internet and media playback times.
    iPhone 4

Talk time:

Up to 7 hours on 3G

Up to 14 hours on 2G

Internet use:

Up to 6 hours on 3G

Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi

That just goes to show that paper specs and real life application are two very different things. Something that is often argued here when defending Apple.

In any case, I own a MBP, iPad and iPod Touch so something different seemed in order. An iPhone would have felt kind of repetitive.

Also with the Evo it comes with one charging plug that you can put in an outlet and doubles as a USB charger so you can simply plug into any 2.0 USB and allow it to charge. Add a car charger for 15.00 and I think I am pretty much covered.

I know for you battery life is a key point its the reason you went with the new 13" MBP and its something you talk about alot so I know for you that is something you look for. There were other options the Evo offered for me that pushed me over in that direction.

A few other factors being truly unlimited data and being an IBM employee 25% off my family plan each month.
  • Reply 88 of 141
    Quote:

You can't be serious!

While I agree that they need a much more robust search system in the App Store I don't think the situation is that dire.

Everything you mention can be done on Google, Bing and Yahoo and i guarantee that the product you were looking for is accessible from those search engines and likely reviewed.

PS: If you're like me, you get sent to iTunes Preview quite often because you use an internet search engine to find apps or are reading an app review found via your RSS, but you hate that iTunes Preview always launches iTunes instead of actually letting you preview it in the browser. If you are running Safari 5 there is now an extension that keep iTunes from opening automatically.
  • Reply 89 of 141
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I'd say the App Store has reached the size and rate of growth where the current directory approach just doesn't work anymore, for users or developers. The search capabilities need to be seriously improved, or an entirely new scheme for discovering apps implemented. I also think they should start rejecting apps for miscategorization and misleading keywords.

Could you give us some examples?
  • Reply 90 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

That just goes to show that paper specs and real life application are two very different things. Something that is often argued here when defending Apple.

I remember when the iPhone was still without any real smartphone competition like it has now with Android. Specifically I recall sitting in a movie theater waiting for some premiere to start and everyone who had a phone out, actively using it, had an iPhone. Surely it wasn't the only phone in the place but it was certainly the most actively used.

Quote:

I know for you battery life is a key point its the reason you went with the new 13" MBP and its something you talk about alot so I know for you that is something you look for. There were other options the Evo offered for me that pushed me over in that direction.

Personally, I probably won't ever be satisfied with battery life on my mobile devices. They are all well under the time I think they should be to be "ideal", but we are still at the beginning of mobile computing. Think about a watch battery.

Quote:

A few other factors being truly unlimited data and being an IBM employee 25% off my family plan each month.

I used to work for IBM Global Network Services up until AT&T bought them out in 1999. At that point AT&T didn't think they needed to retain IBM's CCIEs. In their defense I was paid way too much and technically a contractor so I can see why they wanted to trim the fat after the purchase. We were still using Token Ring and BNC connectors in 1999. lol
  • Reply 91 of 141
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

You can't be serious!

Even if you have advanced search by the criteria you mentioned you will still end up with at least 200 results in any given category for anything below the $7 mark. Even after you get the results you still won't know which is the best app for you because you won't be going through the details for every app and iTunes reviews are almost meaningless. I can almost guarantee that 80% of all users will never use this feature anyway. It's too much trouble. This is not even counting what would only be an even worse experience on the iPhone.

As for the example you mentioned, I would think that it's the developer who chooses the category and not Apple. I may be wrong though.

Anonymouse mentions the progression of the search engine, and while I think Google is a really good search engine, even that is still "not there". If you are looking for a specific kind of app for your needs, you will be spending hours sifting through search results and most of them will not lead to application results but aggregate app sites and forum posts.

The issue to me is not that the App Store needs a better way to find apps. The only exploring I do on the App Store are the top10 lists. The issue seems to be finding the quality apps through a lot of the garbage residing in the App Store. The burden is on developers to push their app if they really believe in it.
  • Reply 92 of 141
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

As long as you need a desktop to load up and sync your iPad, no.

dunno about all that but a cube or mini does the same and a white MB has great power >>more power than any mac from 5 yrs ago .

and MBP 17 >> 15 " HIGHEND MODELS are rockectship blasters ///.

seems like we could buy a combines 4 pcs mac system for 5k

i iphone 4

i ipad 2nd gen

1 ipod 160g

1 mbp 15" 2 gpu 3.02 ghz

one 46"samsung plasma screen or 20 " sony oled screen

i bose radio for each room

one ATV to bind them under darkness in mordor

where the shawdow's lie

sadly english is my first lang

peace

• Reply 93 of 141
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I would have to agree but begrudgingly. This is the first generation of apps. They will get better. There are a few high quality apps like Omnigraffle but I wonder where are the Mac dev apps?

Where is PDFpen, Acorn, Pixelmator, Transmit, Picturesque, Skitch, Notebook, etc.? Hopefully these are actively being developed. I would also expect an iMovie for iPad and GarageBand (though Apple may have to allow full access to the iPod app).

The iPhone and iPad are still in their infancy with lots of room to grow and improve. Apple continues to prove that they can pull off intelligent iterative evolution of their products, so continue to expect great things.
  • Reply 94 of 141
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Jeebus!!! How long has the ipad been out? Can we give it a half year? A year? If patience is a virtue...I don't even want go there.

Relax, take a deep breath. If you are a technofile you have it pretty damn good with these iDevices right now. The Telecoms are another story.

What are the odds that if Apple never moves to another wireless network in the US, they turn around and BUY AT&T.

I could actually imagine this scenario and it could make sense.
  • Reply 95 of 141
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What are the odds that if Apple never moves to another wireless network in the US, they turn around and BUY AT&T.

I could actually imagine this scenario and it could make sense.

The chances are close to zero.

Also, if they want to own such a junky business, why would they want to do it only in the US? If not only in the US, are you suggesting that they would get into telecom services globally?
  • Reply 96 of 141
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Jobs clearly stated that to achieve higher pixels they would have had to shrink the pixels. This makes the device more marketable for those that don't understand the basics of how these cameras work, but it doesn't make the picture better and can introduce noise to the image (or so I'm told).

Using the appropriate sensors are what can give you a better image. Jobs said that is what they focused on with the iPhone 4 camera. Of course, you can't put the type of sensor on a spec sheet for marketing so you aren't going to find that data even if a vendor is using a quality design. We'll just have to wait for the inevitable image comparisons to see if Jobs was being truthful or using a clever marketing spin and half-truthes.

Yeah, my complaint is that geeks usually don't seem to understand cameras, people that went to the effort to learn about pipelining, cores, functional units don't seem to apply that level of understanding to inquiring how cameras work. In all frankness, I don't think I understood cameras five years ago. Anyway, comparing two devices with just one number can result in the less optimal choice. There are sites dedicated to comparing and understanding cameras to the same detail as the computer hardware sites.
  • Reply 97 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

In all frankness, I don't think I understood cameras five years ago.

Matching your frankness, I still don't know much about cameras, but I do know that megapixels is far from the only factor when choosing a good camera.

We see this same scenario when people compare Macs to PCs to show how overpriced Apple's products are.
  • Reply 98 of 141
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Apple haven't tried to strangle anything, why would they have ported iWork if they didn't want people to create basic content on the thing. My point is that this will never be a high end content creation device with the current spec, it's relatively inexpensive because it has lower powered components which cost less to mass produce and place into this type of product. It's not a top end replacement, it's a new way of doing what 90% of the population need to do on their 'computer' - music, web, email, video, casual game play and reading - a media consumption device, however the boundaries are pushed, the A4 processor is not going to edit billboard size images at 300dpi in photoshop, for that you need a high power desktop...

yes delete out from your fine feathered post the word

HIGH END

ad the ipad with numbers and pages will suffice to do enough computing for most of the planet

the a4 does iphoto i movie i tunes well enough i surmise

as the ipad grows up in power nad connection to coud computing

NO ONE TRULY needs both a MBP And an IPAD if your strapped for cash

a 160g ipod can hold most of your media file

a white plastic mb can hold more

even a shared mini can do triple time in a family of 3

one mini back up and 3 ipads

vs a 3 mbp's ???

add the iphone 4 stuff ands my mind boogles at the over lapping stuff betwixt all the apple products

and late late at night in bed you can still not sleep you whip out your ipad >>> laydown and watch some video podcast or a tv show ..... while sleep over takes you

try that with a MBP .. or mini

>>>>the desk top is dead ..

the desk top can be 8 mini's stacked yes sirrreeeee

but with a4 chips

with GCS AND other new low power apple computing

with 2 or 3 or 4 gpu chips sharing work loads

we do not need a cray anymore to rendered high end stuff

the desktop killed it self

the clouds will be the final knife

i would love a ipad

i just can't see it beating my 2 chip mbp

yet on my 1 hr subway ferry commute i see more and more ipads poping up

that one hand rerading gameplaying movie watching looks cool

apple has given us too many choices

• Reply 99 of 141
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

I'd argue that the desktop could find a revival with this new tablet segment coming to existence. Many probably can get more mobility and more machine at a lower price by buying a tablet and a desktop.

PS: Where the heck has brucep been hiding?

I also think this is a possibility. My MBP is three years old now, and when I replace it next year I'm planning on getting an iMac and an iPad instead of a laptop.
  • Reply 100 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

iPhone 4

Talk time:

Up to 7 hours on 3G

Up to 14 hours on 2G

Internet use:

Up to 6 hours on 3G

Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi

A couple of takes on the device.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/29/htc-evo-4g/

Of course, you can read the title, but fair.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3763/s...st-impressions

Again, the battery life really sucks. If you have to turn off not only 4G (which is why you bought the phone, right?), but GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth to get through the day, why did you buy this in the first place?

Admittedly, there are some pretty good reviews, but they all talk about bad battery life, esp. with 4G on, but even, though less so, with it turned off. I think that the good reviews should take one star off their ratings because of the crappy battery life. Who wants to have to monitor all their phones functions just to get through the day? You have to do that here. Just wait until Flash gets on this model.