Native iPad app library passes 10,000 milestone

Comments

• Reply 101 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

That just goes to show that paper specs and real life application are two very different things. Something that is often argued here when defending Apple.

In any case, I own a MBP, iPad and iPod Touch so something different seemed in order. An iPhone would have felt kind of repetitive.

Also with the Evo it comes with one charging plug that you can put in an outlet and doubles as a USB charger so you can simply plug into any 2.0 USB and allow it to charge. Add a car charger for 15.00 and I think I am pretty much covered.

I know for you battery life is a key point its the reason you went with the new 13" MBP and its something you talk about alot so I know for you that is something you look for. There were other options the Evo offered for me that pushed me over in that direction.

A few other factors being truly unlimited data and being an IBM employee 25% off my family plan each month.

Except that Apple's battery specs are pretty much met or exceeded with its phones and Touches.

As you know, we get pretty much the same kind of charger with the iPhone, so the iPhone still has battery life advantages.
  • Reply 102 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Yeah, my complaint is that geeks usually don't seem to understand cameras, people that went to the effort to learn about pipelining, cores, functional units don't seem to apply that level of understanding to inquiring how cameras work. In all frankness, I don't think I understood cameras five years ago. Anyway, comparing two devices with just one number can result in the less optimal choice. There are sites dedicated to comparing and understanding cameras to the same detail as the computer hardware sites.

It's true. There's very little understanding of how cameras work, or what makes a good image (or the True visual acuity of the human eye in all its complexity).
  • Reply 103 of 141
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,855member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Could you give us some examples?

I don't think this is a case where examples are necessary. It's simply a frustrating experience, at least for some number of people, searching for things in the store.

But there is too much emphasis on top lists, and the current category setup is just to simplistic for 200K+ items, and search not good enough to have any confidence that you've found all the possibilities of what you're looking for, or too many results to wade through.
  • Reply 104 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I also think this is a possibility. My MBP is three years old now, and when I replace it next year I'm planning on getting an iMac and an iPad instead of a laptop.

And that would be a very good idea for many people. I'm finding my iPad to be a very useful device, much more useful than people who don't have one imagine. There are some things for which it's clumsy, and some things for which it simply isn't suited for. But for 80% of what might be done on a laptop for work or play, it often does it better than that laptop.
  • Reply 105 of 141
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Of course, you can read the title, but fair.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3763/s...st-impressions

Again, the battery life really sucks. If you have to turn off not only 4G (which is why you bought the phone, right?), but GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth to get through the day, why did you buy this in the first place?

Speaking of AnandTech (which I'm sure you've read already, but others haven't) is there latest review of the 13" MBP. There are some commenters "threatening" to stop reading AT if they continue to post articles about Apple products. They vehemently hate anything Apple produces for no other reason than it's produced by Apple. It's pretty funny stuff.
    Also, the Nokia N900 they reviewed tells me Nokia still isn't close to "getting it". In order to use the FM radio you have to enable Bluetooth. This is something I keep disabled because it is a battery drain and a potential access point to my phone.

One argument is that it's because they are on the same chip. While that's true, that is no excuse for poor driver support. Apple and most mobile vendors use chips that contain WiFi + BT and both aren't required to be on to use one.
  • Reply 106 of 141
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I remember when the iPhone was still without any real smartphone competition like it has now with Android. Specifically I recall sitting in a movie theater waiting for some premiere to start and everyone who had a phone out, actively using it, had an iPhone. Surely it wasn't the only phone in the place but it was certainly the most actively used.

Personally, I probably won't ever be satisfied with battery life on my mobile devices. They are all well under the time I think they should be to be "ideal", but we are still at the beginning of mobile computing. Think about a watch battery.

I used to work for IBM Global Network Services up until AT&T bought them out in 1999. At that point AT&T didn't think they needed to retain IBM's CCIEs. In their defense I was paid way too much and technically a contractor so I can see why they wanted to trim the fat after the purchase. We were still using Token Ring and BNC connectors in 1999. lol

I know just by your posts battery life is a high priority for you and in many cases it is for me also. Like you I just recently went with a new MBP 13", the main factor was battery life.

The only two smartphones that I would put in the same catagory as the iPhone would be the Nexus One and the Evo. I wouldn't even put the HTC Incredible there because of its OLED screen which is next to useless in the sun.

I would say the new iPhone overal is still going to be a better device and the software still beats our Android in some cases but like I said I think I just wanted to try something new having so many other Apple products.

The Evo is fun and I am not sorry I got it at all, however if in the next month I decide differnetly Sprint has a 30 test drive where I can return it get all my money back, cancel my contract with no ETF at all. So my desire to test something out was kind of a win/win situation with the new iPhone not released yet.

Well I started out at 19 with GE Capital in Stamford CT and after a few years they moved my division to Atlanta and soon after that we were outsourced to IBM Global Services. Only thing that really changed for me was who signed my check....lol. Token Ring I remember that term very well. Working on the OS side I remember my first big class was on something called DASD Fast Write, which was nothing more then Cache....lol.
  • Reply 107 of 141
    Quote:

Speaking of AnandTech (which I'm sure you've read already, but others haven't) is there latest review of the 13" MBP. There are some commenters "threatening" to stop reading AT if they continue to post articles about Apple products. They vehemently hate anything Apple produces for no other reason than it's produced by Apple. It's pretty funny stuff.
    Also, the Nokia N900 they reviewed tells me Nokia still isn't close to "getting it". In order to use the FM radio you have to enable Bluetooth. This is something I keep disabled because it is a battery drain and a potential access point to my phone.

One argument is that it's because they are on the same chip. While that's true, that is no excuse for poor driver support. Apple and most mobile vendors use chips that contain WiFi + BT and both aren't required to be on to use one.

Yeah, I've read those. I like Anandtech, but you're right, some of the posters are still in retarded mode. Ars Technica still gets posters saying that they have too much Apple related articles. PC Weenies are still out in force. As I said on another thread, they hated the Mac and its users when Apple was small and used mostly by pros. Now they hate Apple and its users because Apple is big and many of their PC using friends have moved over to it. They still have that inferiority complex. We get the overflow here sometimes.
  • Reply 108 of 141
    Quote:

I know just by your posts battery life is a high priority for you and in many cases it is for me also. Like you I just recently went with a new MBP 13", the main factor was battery life.

The only two smartphones that I would put in the same catagory as the iPhone would be the Nexus One and the Evo. I wouldn't even put the HTC Incredible there because of its OLED screen which is next to useless in the sun.

I would say the new iPhone overal is still going to be a better device and the software still beats our Android in some cases but like I said I think I just wanted to try something new having so many other Apple products.

The Evo is fun and I am not sorry I got it at all, however if in the next month I decide differnetly Sprint has a 30 test drive where I can return it get all my money back, cancel my contract with no ETF at all. So my desire to test something out was kind of a win/win situation with the new iPhone not released yet.

Well I started out at 19 with GE Capital in Stamford CT and after a few years they moved my division to Atlanta and soon after that we were outsourced to IBM Global Services. Only thing that really changed for me was who signed my check....lol. Token Ring I remember that term very well. Working on the OS side I remember my first big class was on something called DASD Fast Write, which was nothing more then Cache....lol.

The best thing was Token Ring over Ethernet. Now, that was a laugh!
  • Reply 109 of 141
    Quote:

A couple of takes on the device.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/29/htc-evo-4g/

Of course, you can read the title, but fair.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3763/s...st-impressions

Again, the battery life really sucks. If you have to turn off not only 4G (which is why you bought the phone, right?), but GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth to get through the day, why did you buy this in the first place?

Admittedly, there are some pretty good reviews, but they all talk about bad battery life, esp. with 4G on, but even, though less so, with it turned off. I think that the good reviews should take one star off their ratings because of the crappy battery life. Who wants to have to monitor all their phones functions just to get through the day? You have to do that here. Just wait until Flash gets on this model.

Actually that information is a bit off. You have a screen on the Evo where you can turn all those off and set it so when your device needs to access. 4G it will do so and then turn it off when not needed.

Switching those on and off is a main screen menu that you can access with one swipe of your finger.

On the sprint site which is all that should matter because those are actual owners reviews the Evo gets a 4.8 out of 5 stars with 214 reviews in a few days.

However if there is a weak point battery life would be it but the phone and the Android OS really helps you manage that issue and turns it for me into a non issue. But I still have three weeks to decide if it stays a non issue.
  • Reply 110 of 141
    Quote:

The best thing was Token Ring over Ethernet. Now, that was a laugh!

I remember the network guys debating the difference between a bridge and a router...lol.
  • Reply 111 of 141
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Yeah, I've read those. I like Anandtech, but you're right, some of the posters are still in retarded mode. Ars Technica still gets posters saying that they have too much Apple related articles. PC Weenies are still out in force. As I said on another thread, they hated the Mac and its users when Apple was small and used mostly by pros. Now they hate Apple and its users because Apple is big and many of their PC using friends have moved over to it. They still have that inferiority complex. We get the overflow here sometimes.

Well said.
  • Reply 112 of 141
    Quote:

Except that Apple's battery specs are pretty much met or exceeded with its phones and Touches.

As you know, we get pretty much the same kind of charger with the iPhone, so the iPhone still has battery life advantages.

I don't disagree that the iPhone has a battery life advantage, however that isn't a major issue for me.

How you can tell the Evo is a true contender is battery life is the only knock anyone has been able to give it at this point. That was even the best SJ could do. The iPhone is an awesome smartphone, however we now have another that is also awesome and more will follow.

Which in the end will benefit the end user.
  • Reply 113 of 141
    Quote:

How you can tell the Evo is a true contender is battery life is the only knock anyone has been able to give it at this point. That was even the best SJ could do.

I think it's a major issue with any portable device so it's a good one to focus on when choosing a device or comparing it unfavorably to the device you prefer. However, it's not the only knock I could give it.

In comparison to smartphones in general I think it's too big. It's also too heavy but that is a more minor point. I think it had to be bigger to accommodate the WiMAX chip and the needed battery; I can't imagine they wanted it to be that big from the start.

Another issue, as already discussed and partially a sub-issue of the battery, is marketing a feature that can't really be used if you want to maintain decent "industry standard" battery life.

Potentially another issue is the lowering of the pixel density while its former brethren use the same aspect ratio and resolution on smaller displays. This is also a plus in that apps aren't going to need a rewrite to work properly, so this is a wash, IMO.

I think the 1.3Mpx front-facing camera is an issue, but if it uses VGA resolution for video chatting then that is fine. I just don't think we've grown to a point that you can have real time video conferencing with that resolution. For still pics and personal video that would be fine, but I can see many just flipping the device to get 8Mpx stills and 720p video. Why only 720p@25fps, not 30fps?

As we've already discussed, Sense UI has it's pros and cons. Some areas they improve over te Android UI and in others they completely ruin it. It's almost like there are two teams working on it that never interact with each other.

Potentially another issue is Qualcomm Adreno 200 over the PowerVR used in the 3GS. I recall it being less powerful, and that's compared to last year's iPhone. What will the iPhone 4 have?
  • Reply 114 of 141
    Quote:

Actually that information is a bit off. You have a screen on the Evo where you can turn all those off and set it so when your device needs to access. 4G it will do so and then turn it off when not needed.

Switching those on and off is a main screen menu that you can access with one swipe of your finger.

On the sprint site which is all that should matter because those are actual owners reviews the Evo gets a 4.8 out of 5 stars with 214 reviews in a few days.

However if there is a weak point battery life would be it but the phone and the Android OS really helps you manage that issue and turns it for me into a non issue. But I still have three weeks to decide if it stays a non issue.

Since the phone is still new, it's fair to say that just like for Apple's products when they first come out, that there's a lot of, ah, should we say, "fanboy" purchasing? Not all, of course, but much more than with later buyers. I would expect a greater percentage of them to be satisfied.

The idea of having to turn features off and on just for the purpose of saving battery life, especially the 4G, is a pain that shouldn't exist at all. The only thing I have off on my iPhone is the Bluetooth, because I just don't use it, but I know a lot of people who do. I don't turn off the WiFi and I get through the day, and most of the evening, except for the "crazy" days. I'm sure you know what I mean by that.
  • Reply 115 of 141
    Quote:

I think it's a major issue with any portable device so it's a good one to focus on when choosing a device or comparing it unfavorably to the device you prefer. However, it's not the only knock I could give it.

In comparison to smartphones in general I think it's too big. It's also too heavy but that is a more minor point. I think it had to be bigger to accommodate the WiMAX chip and the needed battery; I can't imagine they wanted it to be that big from the start.

Another issue, as already discussed and partially a sub-issue of the battery, is marketing a feature that can't really be used if you want to maintain decent "industry standard" battery life.

Potentially another issue is the lowering of the pixel density while its former brethren use the same aspect ratio and resolution on smaller displays. This is also a plus in that apps aren't going to need a rewrite to work properly, so this is a wash, IMO.

I think the 1.3Mpx front-facing camera is an issue, but if it uses VGA resolution for video chatting then that is fine. I just don't think we've grown to a point that you can have real time video conferencing with that resolution. For still pics and personal video that would be fine, but I can see many just flipping the device to get 8Mpx stills and 720p video. Why only 720p@25fps, not 30fps?

As we've already discussed, Sense UI has it's pros and cons. Some areas they improve over te Android UI and in others they completely ruin it. It's almost like there are two teams working on it that never interact with each other.

Potentially another issue is Qualcomm Adreno 200 over the PowerVR used in the 3GS. I recall it being less powerful, and that's compared to last year's iPhone. What will the iPhone 4 have?

See some of the things you see as a disadvantage I see as an advantage. I like the extra size and it still fits in my pocket just fine.

As far as the Wimax of course for me that is an advantage because I get full 4G all the time with speeds around 4mbps.

One other thing I noticed via a speedtest is this phone actually takes full advantage of my WiFi. I have 30meg service at home and I get triple the download speed compared to my daughters iPhone. I would assume that has something to do with the antenna.

Another feature I like is the hdmi output. I ripped a dvd to my Evo and simply plugged it into my HTDV and it looked great. Can't simply do that with an iPhone. A simple app sync all my itunes music and synced all my pictures and non DRM video. So its not like it makes things harder for me.

We often talk about the average user, the average users isn't going to know or notice anything when it comes to 25-30fps. I am an avid gamer and my eye can't tell the difference.

And while I am sure the new iPhone will have a great screen as they always do the Evo screen is great for the size of the phone.

I haven't tired video chat yet so I can't tell you how well that works.

As far as a camera to be honest I am not sure I use my cell phone cam once a year.
  • Reply 116 of 141
    Quote:

Since the phone is still new, it's fair to say that just like for Apple's products when they first come out, that there's a lot of, ah, should we say, "fanboy" purchasing? Not all, of course, but much more than with later buyers. I would expect a greater percentage of them to be satisfied.

The idea of having to turn features off and on just for the purpose of saving battery life, especially the 4G, is a pain that shouldn't exist at all. The only thing I have off on my iPhone is the Bluetooth, because I just don't use it, but I know a lot of people who do. I don't turn off the WiFi and I get through the day, and most of the evening, except for the "crazy" days. I'm sure you know what I mean by that.

I do understand what you mean and I am not saying that battery life is not important. But damn I just needed something new to play around with....lol. Like I said before the main reason I got this phone is its a great phone for the most part and with all the other Apple stuff I have I just simply wanted to try something different.
  • Reply 117 of 141
    Quote:

I do understand what you mean and I am not saying that battery life is not important. But damn I just needed something new to play around with....lol. Like I said before the main reason I got this phone is its a great phone for the most part and with all the other Apple stuff I have I just simply wanted to try something different.

I'm NOT knocking your reasons. We all like to try new toys. I've got a friend with more money than sense, and he's got contracts with all four carriers here. He just buys new phones to play with them. If he doesn't like them, he throws them into a drawer, after asking me if I want to play with it for a few days. I get a lot of new junk to try out that way.

I thought I was bad, but he saves me a lot of money that way. I just wish he would do it with software, so I wouldn't have to buy so much of that.
  • Reply 118 of 141
    Quote:

See some of the things you see as a disadvantage I see as an advantage. I like the extra size and it still fits in my pocket just fine.

Of course, there is no one-size-fits-all gadget.

Quote:

As far as the Wimax of course for me that is an advantage because I get full 4G all the time with speeds around 4mbps.

I wonder what the upload rate will be on both EV-DO and WiMAX. A big benefit of the iPhone 4 is the 5.8Mbps HSUPA.

Also, I don't think Sprint will hold this fast speed for very long. AT&T has already deployed 14.4Mbps HSPA in many cities and I and others have gotten over 3Mbps on our current iPhones.

Quote:

One other thing I noticed via a speedtest is this phone actually takes full advantage of my WiFi. I have 30meg service at home and I get triple the download speed compared to my daughters iPhone. I would assume that has something to do with the antenna.

That's good, the iPhones have never taken full advantage of WiFi and I'm not sure why. They do have 802.11b/g/n now while the EVO 4G seems to still be at 802.11b/g. While that looks like another negative it's possible Apple is leaning toward power savings and the 30Mbps on the EVO 4G could be better than what the 802.11n rate is. We'll have to wait and see.

Quote:

Another feature I like is the hdmi output. I ripped a dvd to my Evo and simply plugged it into my HTDV and it looked great. Can't simply do that with an iPhone. A simple app sync all my itunes music and synced all my pictures and non DRM video. So its not like it makes things harder for me.

HandBrake is a great free app for ripping DVDs to H.264 and the iPhone should be able to play that 640x480 video without issue out of the component cables from an iDevice. It's not HDMI, which would be a nice option to have especially since iTunes content is DRMed, but they can't even offer a mDP-to-HDMI adapter so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Quote:

We often talk about the average user, the average users isn't going to know or notice anything when it comes to 25-30fps. I am an avid gamer and my eye can't tell the difference.

True, just pointing it out and wondering why they didn't go with the standard 30fps.

Quote:

As far as a camera to be honest I am not sure I use my cell phone cam once a year.

Me neither. In fact, I'd love an option to not have a camera in my phone.

Quote:

I don't think anyone here is knocking you for testing it out. I've done the same with plenty of gadgets over the years, though lately I have stopped. I guess I'm just getting old. I'm almost halfway through the average lifespan.
  • Reply 119 of 141
    Quote:

I'm NOT knocking your reasons. We all like to try new toys. I've got a friend with more money than sense, and he's got contracts with all four carriers here. He just buys new phones to play with them. If he doesn't like them, he throws them into a drawer, after asking me if I want to play with it for a few days. I get a lot of new junk to try out that way.

I thought I was bad, but he saves me a lot of money that way. I just wish he would do it with software, so I wouldn't have to buy so much of that.

Yeah I have a friend like that where just about every month he is getting a new phone and paying full retail for it. I love technology as much as the next guy but that gets to the point of being insane.

Not sure if I would have went for the Evo if I didn't know I had 30 days to give it a good try and could break out of my contract with nothing lost. So far I enjoy the phone but you can be sure that the day I can get my hands on a new iPhone I will be testing that out and making sure the Evo is really the right phone for me.

Unlike Solip who I think travels alot, my mobile isn't a big issue for me, however it would be next to impossible for me to give up my MBP because I carry that thing around everywhere. So the new battery life on that along with the other upgrades was a nice bump for me.

My iPad I am still on the fence about. Still hard for me to get use to holding it and I am still always afraid its going to slip out of my hands. Typing isn't all that easy either unless your resting it on your legs.
  • Reply 120 of 141
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

Typing isn't all that easy either unless your resting it on your legs.

How else do people type on tablets/laptops? Do you hold your laptop in the air while typing on it?