Native iPad app library passes 10,000 milestone

Comments

• Reply 121 of 141
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Typing isn't all that easy either unless your resting it on your legs.

If you're going to be doing a lot of typing in various environments the case they sell is quite nice for that. If you are going to be using it at a desk then the dock with a BT keyboard of the dock with a keyboard are solutions one can use.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

How else do people type on tablets/laptops? Do you hold your laptop in the air while typing on it?

While I'm typing this on my MBP in bed with my legs propped up I'd say that most notebooks are probably used on a desk or desk-like surface.
  • Reply 122 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Yeah I have a friend like that where just about every month he is getting a new phone and paying full retail for it. I love technology as much as the next guy but that gets to the point of being insane.

Not sure if I would have went for the Evo if I didn't know I had 30 days to give it a good try and could break out of my contract with nothing lost. So far I enjoy the phone but you can be sure that the day I can get my hands on a new iPhone I will be testing that out and making sure the Evo is really the right phone for me.

Unlike Solip who I think travels alot, my mobile isn't a big issue for me, however it would be next to impossible for me to give up my MBP because I carry that thing around everywhere. So the new battery life on that along with the other upgrades was a nice bump for me.

My iPad I am still on the fence about. Still hard for me to get use to holding it and I am still always afraid its going to slip out of my hands. Typing isn't all that easy either unless your resting it on your legs.

The thing that bothers me about the phone is still the battery life with 4G. 4G is the big selling point. If you only get 2 hours or so of battery with it on, it just seems to be an idea whose time has not yet come. I just don't like having to think about turning things on or off. It should just work. I expect that second generation models will have that more under control. I could understand if the service was twice as fast. but from reviews, it seems to be about 25% faster. That's good, but not startling.

I'm finding my iPad to be one of the best purchases I've ever made. I suppose it depends on how you use it, but I like to try a lot of software. With my computer, I tend to think of any program that's under $50 as being free. With this, if it's $5 then I don't think about the purchase if it looks interesting. I've already got 9 screens filled up. Some are just to demo to others, but the breath of programs is amazing already. even though a few are saying that there's little good or interesting, I say they're wrong. Those people seem to have a very narrow interest level. Already, there are programs that cover the spectrum. And as when comparing programs to Android phones, I find programs that have little or not equivalents n that platform, and a lot of programs there seem more primitive and less well done. Maybe it's because of the fractured environment there, or perhaps it's because Android buyers buy half as many paid apps to free apps than iPhone buyers do. I don't know.

I find typing on it to be a bit more difficult, mostly because I either hit the keyboard docking button on the lower right side, or because I hit the ABC key on the right side. I don't know why the ABC keys have to be where they are, or so big. It seems to me that they and the keyboard dock key should be out of the way on the top. Otherwise, it's fine. I even got used to the swipe for the apostrophe. I can type with one hand with the iPad on a forearm, like you need to do with Windows 7 tablets. I suppose we will need to do that with any tablet. At least it's light and small, unlike the older Windows models which are 5 or more pounds. But you should be sitting, then it's easy.
  • Reply 123 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

How else do people type on tablets/laptops? Do you hold your laptop in the air while typing on it?

Of course not but you can put it on a flat surface and type. Try doing that with an iPad. Even in the store they have then on little stands that are slanted just right. Put an iPad on a table or floor and you can spin it across the room like a top.
  • Reply 124 of 141
    Quote:

Of course not but you can put it on a flat surface and type. Try doing that with an iPad. Even in the store they have then on little stands that are slanted just right. Put an iPad on a table or floor and you can spin it across the room like a top.

Sure, but as Sol already mentioned, there are cases. Apple's case is very good. Bend the front part around the back and slip into the slot provided, and the device sits solidly and just at the proper angle for typing. you can stand it up to look at video if you prefer it that way. It really works well. All other tablets will be somewhat similar. Even flat ones will need a bit of angle.
  • Reply 125 of 141
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Sure, but as Sol already mentioned, there are cases. Apple's case is very good. Bend the front part around the back and slip into the slot provided, and the device sits solidly and just at the proper angle for typing. you can stand it up to look at video if you prefer it that way. It really works well. All other tablets will be somewhat similar. Even flat ones will need a bit of angle.

And the smartly went with (waited for?) a 10" IPS display that would also get them a good amount of usage time. I can't imagine the other tablets coming to market promoting their higher resolution but using a cheap TN display to do it. I wish the backlit was brighter on the iPad but you can't argue with the panel choice. It's pretty stunning.
  • Reply 126 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And the smartly went with (waited for?) a 10" IPS display that would also get them a good amount of usage time. I can't imagine the other tablets coming to market promoting their higher resolution but using a cheap TN display to do it. I wish the backlit was brighter on the iPad but you can't argue with the panel choice. It's pretty stunning.

I generally have it turned down 50%. I then turn the readers down another 30% or so. I find it to be much brighter than needed, except outdoors, where I do turn it up more.
  • Reply 127 of 141
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:

Yeah I am going to take his advice on that. I am going to be in the mall today and my Apple store is fairly large so hopefully they should have some in stock. I was looking at it online and it looks like the perfect solution.
  • Reply 128 of 141
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

10,000 apps and not one good way to sort through them...

Could Google put something together?
  • Reply 129 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

If Apple is about quality over numbers then the App Store is still in serious need of a diet. Cut more of the fat, Apple. There are plenty of waste of space and time apps that don't belong in a quality conscious store.

I agree completely.
  • Reply 130 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What exactly do you expect from an application that is commonly priced at $4.99?

High quality leading to vast sales?
  • Reply 131 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

...that you have a corresponding BETTER chance of having some truly great apps, merely from statistical probability.

McDonalds has served billions, but I'm not sure that they have any truly great burgers.
  • Reply 132 of 141
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I generally have it turned down 50%. I then turn the readers down another 30% or so. I find it to be much brighter than needed, except outdoors, where I do turn it up more.

At least on my iPhone, 30% is great Indoors, all the way to the left if lights out for a movie. Outdoors, 100% usually doesn't seem enough. Direct sunlight is just way too much to compete against, the difference between 50% and 100% isn't much.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Could Google put something together?

Apple does have a web-facing page for each app/song/etc they sell, except maybe their books. Google indexes those just fine.
  • Reply 133 of 141
    Quote:

Yeah I am going to take his advice on that. I am going to be in the mall today and my Apple store is fairly large so hopefully they should have some in stock. I was looking at it online and it looks like the perfect solution.

I made some minor mods.
  • Reply 134 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

At least on my iPhone, 30% is great Indoors, all the way to the left if lights out for a movie. Outdoors, 100% usually doesn't seem enough. Direct sunlight is just way too much to compete against, the difference between 50% and 100% isn't much.

I don't use it in direct sunlight. I shade it, and then it's readable. Until displays get brighter than direct sunlight at the display's surface, this will continue to be a problem.

Admittedly, this is the one area in which an E-ink screen is useful.
  • Reply 135 of 141
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I don't think this is a case where examples are necessary. It's simply a frustrating experience, at least for some number of people, searching for things in the store.

But there is too much emphasis on top lists, and the current category setup is just to simplistic for 200K+ items, and search not good enough to have any confidence that you've found all the possibilities of what you're looking for, or too many results to wade through.

So the answer is no.
  • Reply 136 of 141
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,855member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

So the answer is no.

No, the answer is that the App store categories are ridiculously overcrowded and insufficient. That "Top" lists aren't really that useful, and the search doesn't really work that well. Sorry to disappoint you by not trotting out examples for you on your demand. They really aren't necessary, the problems with the store are pretty obvious.
  • Reply 137 of 141
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, the answer is that the App store categories are ridiculously overcrowded and insufficient. That "Top" lists aren't really that useful, and the search doesn't really work that well. Sorry to disappoint you by not trotting out examples for you on your demand. They really aren't necessary, the problems with the store are pretty obvious.

What makes you think that the App store is any different than the Library of Congress or the National Library of Medicine? Two of the largest libraries in the world and like any library, book store, movie/music catalog or TV guide, I defy anybody to tell me what is the best book, movie, record or tv program.

Certainly, I wouldn't rely on a single source to guide me as I wouldn't do in purchasing Apps. I have half a dozen review sites bookmarked, but in many cases, some of my best leads have come from a colleague, friend, business associate or another iPhone/iPad developer.

In addition, I even take some advice from a few posters here. Unfortunately, most of the commentators don't even have an iPhone or iPad, won't pay for anything over a buck and voice opinions on something they haven't seen let alone touched.

There is only one way that anybody can ascertain how good or bad an App is and that is to try it.

Some may distain the fart app, but who is god that can tell half the grade school 'boys' that it is crap? Right now my most used Apps are the TomTom/Car Kit and Dragon Dictation. One cost me nearly $200 and the other is free. But I wouldn't leave the house without them or having Flashlight installed. You may snicker, but as I told my wife and our nieces it is good for finding a keyhole in the dark but you never know when you might need to send a distress signal whether on campus, home or abroad.

Like many, I have a few hundred Apps I draw from. There a some I will never install again. But I don't begrudge anybody who would.

As the adage goes, the more choices one has the harder it make a decision. The App store may be crowded and some may be totally useless in everybody's mind. However, it is a far cry from the millions of absurd applications that have been developed for the PC.
  • Reply 138 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

What makes you think that the App store is any different than the Library of Congress ...

A store isn't supposed to be the Library of Congress. With 200K+ apps there should be subcategories of every category and subcategories of some of those categories, and maybe further subcategories. It should be explorable without being overwhelming. You should be able to browse around and find things you didn't even know you needed, especially for a device like an iPhone. Things that you've never heard of or thought about our even know what they are until you stumble upon them and wonder how you ever lived without them.

The App Store is none of those things. The apps are great, the store itself, not so much. Apple has some work yet to do there. It's not up to the standards I expect of them.
  • Reply 139 of 141
    Quote:

... My wife and I both have the new EVO ...

Not to throw too much water on your fun, but we'll be interested to hear if you experience any of these problems:

Quote:

HTC Evo 4G Issues Pile Up: Glass Screen Separation, Unresponsiveness Reported

... many users are seeing issues with the Evo?s screen, including glass separation, as well as trouble with responsiveness (which also affects its sister phone, the Droid Incredible) ...

... serious issues registering inputs. While not everyone is experiencing the issue ...

... HTC and Sprint may have to initiate a hardware recall to fix the issues....

... terrible battery life, something MobileCrunch calls a ?deal breaker? for the device ...

• Reply 140 of 141
    How to convert almost any kind of DVD to iPad?