Apple releases redesigned Mac mini with HDMI port starting at $699

Comments

• Reply 241 of 383
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's the shared memory/integrated version of the 320M. But still twice as fast as the current 9400M supposedly.

Ah, damn. I thought it was dedicated. My 19/mo old MacBook Pro has the 9400M and the 9600M GT and requires manual switching between the two; I bet the 320M is considerably slower than the 9600M GT I have now, no? I wish Apple offered the ability to upgrade to the 330M, at the very least. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable request.
  • Reply 242 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wholeheartedly disagree with that assessment. This is just a Mac using the TV footprint and having an HDMI port. It still doesn't have the SW or the price point that make it a viable media extender appliance.

But it can play any media I throw at it (except BR). I can finally have a convenient place to sync my iPods every day (not as convenient with my MacBook Pro, which I always use in bed or on the sofa). It can play iTunes visuals on my HDTV while I listen to music. I can browse the internet on it. I can connect it to my digital piano, and my daughter and I can use it for sequencing, recording or composing.

For me it's a FAR better living room device than the very limited Apple TV or something else limited and proprietary like an XBox or PS3.
  • Reply 243 of 383
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Just out of curiosity:

How will the Mini server software be upgraded without another Mac with an optical drive or an external optical drive? Do you think that's why there is an SD slot in the Mini?

The mini Server is the only other Mac that explicitly supports the slim external SuperDrive they originally made for the MacBook Air. Its a nice tradeoff, and I'm pretty sure (but haven't verified) that the USB ports on the regular mini will also support the drive, for those of us tempted to rip out the built-in SuperDrive to make space for a second (mirrored) HDD.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

USB 3 peripherals are emerging. Why do you think the new Mini doesn't have a USB 3 port?

Why do you think the new Mini doesn't have an eSata port?

I don't know why Mac stuff doesn't come with eSata (and wish it did) but I do know that Intel is the one who needs to get off their arse with the USB 3 spec for integrated components and start putting together the pieces so that it can be deployed on small laptops (and desktops that use small laptop components). Intel is the bad guy in this particular case.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

In that case it's just another way for Apple to differentiate the product and let you know that if you want the faster hard drives you'll have to pony up. The difference between a 5400rpm and a 7200rpm in a server being hit by multiple users at once would probably be more pronounced than the difference of 5400 vs 7200 for a single desktop user.

Oh, I'm sure you're right, and maybe it has to do with the low power usage marketing claims, but the first thing I do with any mini is rip out the 5400rpm drives and replace them with the 2.5" 7200rpm drive du jour.

Quote:

I would say that 1)Internet downloads, usb key or SD card, 2)USB3 will be on an Apple product when Intel starts supporting it themselves next year and 3)b/c Apple probably views eSata as a "Pro" option unneeded on the Mini.

'Zactly right.
  • Reply 244 of 383
    Quote:

Skip the piano and get a decent MIDI keyboard controller for $2-300. Piano softsynths for her MBP can be had anywhere from $100-$700. You can easily save yourself at least $700, which is Mini money heh. Of course, does she need both an MBP and an iPad? Just a couple of possible cost saving ideas

Nah. I'm going to invest in a digital piano this time. I need real key response feel. Even the best weighted key controllers don't feel as good as a decent dedicated digital piano, and weighted key controllers cost a lot more than $300.

I'm getting the Casio Privia PX-830BP (Black Lacquer).

I know... Casio... but honestly, it has far better sound than the Rolands at the same price point (the Rolands sound like toys as soon as you use the sustain pedal). The keys feel the best of any digital piano at the price point as well. And the design is great, as it supplies a completely flat surface when closed. It'll be a nice piece of furniture. I'm paying the $100 premium to get the black lacquer instead of the black wood finish just because it looks fantastic. I'm really excited about this purchase. Casio got this one right.

And I need the iPad. I'll actually be giving her my 2009 MBP and upgrading mine to the new model.

She's the one that needs the piano, and as a classical piano student, she needs a real piano feel. And I'm looking forward to going back and learning to play again as well. I'll finally be able to finish Debussy's First Arabesque.
  • Reply 245 of 383
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Dunno if the price in dollars has increaded or not, but for us Brits this supposedly entry level Mac is now VERY expensive.

No sale for me, shame because it looks really nice.

Nowadays every new mac mini iteration is $100 more costlier than the previous one... Remember Jobs speaking of an affordable entry-level mac some years ago? Well it is clearly not anymore.
  • Reply 246 of 383
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Ah, damn. I thought it was dedicated. My 19/mo old MacBook Pro has the 9400M and the 9600M GT and requires manual switching between the two; I bet the 320M is considerably slower than the 9600M GT I have now, no? I wish Apple offered the ability to upgrade to the 330M, at the very least. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable request.

The performance is pretty damn good for an IGP. Here's one set of benchmarks...
    Just did a side by side test with old 2.26G model with new 2.4G model.

Speaking of 3DMark 06,

My 9400M scored 2170 while the 320M scored 4748!

FPS during test was usually 2x or more. That makes a lot of games playable on 320M while not playable on 9400M

Compared to old 9600M GT model, according to Notebookcheck.net, it averages 5163, and GT 330M is just 6539.

So, 6539/4748=1.377, only about 40% increase going up to 15" models? Interesting.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

But it can play any media I throw at it (except BR). I can finally have a convenient place to sync my iPods every day (not as convenient with my MacBook Pro, which I always use in bed or on the sofa). It can play iTunes visuals on my HDTV while I listen to music. I can browse the internet on it. I can connect it to my digital piano, and my daughter and I can use it for sequencing, recording or composing.

For me it's a FAR better living room device than the very limited Apple TV or something else limited and proprietary like an XBox or PS3.

Sure, and you can even rip Blu-ray and play them, too. The problem is that Mac OS X is not well suited to be used on an HDTV with a remote. FrontRow was clearly a trial gearing up for the AppleTV's BackRow, but it hasn't received enhancements since Leopard.

In many ways I prefer the PS3 or TiVo. They can play pretty much everything you through at them and even though they have their issues at least they are designed to be connected to a TV.

You cant just plug a Mac Mini into your TV, grab a remote control and have a proper media extender. That means it's ever going to be ideal or well suited for the average customer.
  • Reply 247 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Sure, and you can even rip Blu-ray and play them, too.

I'm aware I can download 1080p content, but how do you rip Blu-ray on a Mac?

Quote:

The problem is that Mac OS X is not well suited to be used on an HDTV with a remote. FrontRow was clearly a trial gearing up for the AppleTV's BackRow, but it hasn't received enhancements since Leopard.

In many ways I prefer the PS3 or TiVo. They can play pretty much everything you through at them and even though they have their issues at least they are designed to be connected to a TV.

You cant just plug a Mac Mini into your TV, grab a remote control and have a proper media extender. That means it's ever going to be ideal or well suited for the average customer.

Ah... fortunately I already have the Magic Mouse and Bluetooth Keyboard. Combined with the Apple Remote for convenience of skipping tracks and changing volume, I'm pretty well covered, thanks. I'd rather have the inconvenience of the desktop and the power of the Macintosh than something that can't do everything I would like to do. Kind of opposite of my feeling about the iPad vs. Netbook, but there you have it.
  • Reply 248 of 383
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Skip the piano and get a decent MIDI keyboard controller for $2-300. Piano softsynths for her MBP can be had anywhere from $100-$700. You can easily save yourself at least $700, which is Mini money heh. Of course, does she need both an MBP and an iPad? Just a couple of possible cost saving ideas

+1 on the Privia.

I'm a real snob when it comes to music gear, but I got a Casio Privia (the PX-320) for my son that has great weighted key action, a really nice bright built-in "rock piano", two 1/8" headphone jacks, L/R (stereo) line outs, and midi in/thru/out. It can do what a decent midi keyboard can do and it can do all the normal piano-lesson type stuff as well. At the time it was like $500 plus another $100 for the stand custom designed for that keyboard.

I play it all the time, esp. in the evening after the kids have gone to bed. It's not like a Yamaha CP300 stage piano (doesn't need to be) and it's not a "real" piano but it's definitely close enough and the ability to control the volume or play through headphones is huge for family harmony.

If it's just a music theory kind of class then any midi keyboard will do, but to learn proper piano technique a nice weighted keyboard at the correct height is very important.
  • Reply 249 of 383
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    an attractive enclosure, but isn't this a fairly poorly thought out design?

these things are designed to sit on shelves in people's home entertainment units - yet the inputs that would need to be accessed relatively frequently are hidden on the back?

Apple want me to pull the whole unit out of my cabinet to be able to insert an SD card or a USB drive?? That's just plain dumb. Sure it looks good, but it's dumb.

Same with the power switch really.

(It's as bad as the location of the mini-DP port on the Gen 1 unibody Macbook Pros that blocked access to the USB ports - which they then had to fix in the updates)
  • Reply 250 of 383
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I don't know why Mac stuff doesn't come with eSata (and wish it did) but I do know that Intel is the one who needs to get off their arse with the USB 3 spec for integrated components and start putting together the pieces so that it can be deployed on small laptops (and desktops that use small laptop components). Intel is the bad guy in this particular case.

How about Firewire 3200? The official spec has been out for a while now.
  • Reply 251 of 383
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

How about Firewire 3200? The official spec has been out for a while now.

Unfortunately official specs do not necessarily translate into third-party support or shipping products.

(I suspect Firewire will finally fade away once USB3 becomes popular.)
  • Reply 252 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

"Blu-ray is a bag of hurt".

- Steve Jobs

He was specifically referring to some of the licensing requirements. Guess what? That particular "bag of hurt" was fixed years ago. According to Jobs' own words, that was the issue, and it's been fixed. There is no reason why they shouldn't include the drives now, save for some delusion that their crappy HD downloads can hold a candle to even an average BluRay.
  • Reply 253 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

Just too expensive. Nobody wants to pay that kind of money for a stand alone desktop. $100 less and maybe it would be worth it. For what you would spend on a base mac mini and 24 inch apple display, you could just buy yourself a 3.06ghz 27 inch iMac for about the same price, and that comes with a bigger hard disk and twice the ram. Makes no sense.

Also, if you bought a mac mini with 4 gigs ram, 500gig hdd, shitty keyboard and mouse, and a cheap 22'ish inch 1080p display you could be spending more than the base 21.5 inch imac, which has same ram and hdd, better IPS display, and comes with a bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse???

This is absolutely, undoubtably, a complete ripoff even by Apple standards.

It's also the lowest-cost way to get a Mac desktop without a high-glare (glossy) screen.

Until Apple offers matte as BTO on the iMac (which they could very easily do), my next machine just might have to be a mini with a Dell display.
  • Reply 254 of 383
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

You should use brain before mouth.

Maybe you should do the same

Quote:

Regardless... 96k is an idiotic spec, you'll never actually hear the difference the marketing has convinced you of. You're obviously a home user if this is such a 'required feature', however beyond the pure pointless nature of the sampling rate/frequency combo mentioned, I'd also like to hip you to the fact that if you want to sound all 'audio pro' remember the following:

The majority of the people that purchase a Mac Mini will be home users, and the majority of them will be happy using a single $5 cable to deliver audio quality that they are happy with.

Quote:

1. As a digital audio connection, HDMI is not the optimum choice, even digital rca coaxial is more reliable, the big boys use optical or even better AES/EBU.

2. If you want to flaunt specs, try 192kHz/24bit - otherwise remember you are a 'mid-sumer stereo customer', best not to try acting all macho in public.

3. Listen more carefully to study music more effectively, if you're missing something in 44.1kHz/16bit 'CD-quality' audio, it might not be a fidelity problem.

HDMI handles 192kHz/24bit audio with no issues, in multichannel as well, I'm not sure what you are trying to show with that comment, maybe the fact that you can't spell summer is your point?

The optical you are trying to talk about isn't the toslink that is featured on most audio devices, I'm sure people will be happy spending thousands on AES/EBU to get the same audio they can get from a CD, or a Blu-ray.

He was asking a simple question, I'm not sure why you guys feel the need to abuse everyone that asks a simple question.
  • Reply 255 of 383
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Nah. I'm going to invest in a digital piano this time. I need real key response feel. Even the best weighted key controllers don't feel as good as a decent dedicated digital piano, and weighted key controllers cost a lot more than $300.

Cool man. I figured there was more to it, but thought I'd give things a shot Good luck on all that.
  • Reply 256 of 383
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    As someone who has performed surgery on a few Mac mini.

The biggies here to me.

1. Easy RAM access. Nuff said no pulling out the whole guts to install RAM. Nice.

2. Internal PS...no more white box dangling all over the place. Much cleaner setup.

3. Smaller size with alu milling. Should dissipate heat well and it is a very efficient desktop

4. SD card slot. Easy photo import

I'm a bit surprised that the main complaints have centered around cost (which we all know Apple is premium priced) and Blu-ray (which is not available in ANY Mac or Apple product for that matter)

The good stuff here is being overshadowed by people "dreaming" . I'm amazed at the miniaturization of the new Mini.
  • Reply 257 of 383
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

As someone who has performed surgery on a few Mac mini.

The biggies here to me.

1. Easy RAM access. Nuff said no pulling out the whole guts to install RAM. Nice.

2. Internal PS...no more white box dangling all over the place. Much cleaner setup.

3. Smaller size with alu milling. Should dissipate heat well and it is a very efficient desktop

4. SD card slot. Easy photo import

What about the hard drive?

Quote:

I'm a bit surprised that the main complaints have centered around cost (which we all know Apple is premium priced)

The people who respond to this "complaint" are ignoring the fact that the starting price went up from the previous model. Instead of directly addressing the price increase over the previous model, they revert to the "Macs are premium priced", "You get what you pay for", "If you don't like it then go buy a PC" type of responses. So how about addressing why Apple raised the starting price instead of keeping it the same, like they have usually done?

And another question: How does this $699 model compare to the previous $799 model?
  • Reply 258 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, but there are posters who whine about everything. At the same time as some people whine......

And then there are posters who come in with know it all bad attitudes to attempt to lord it over everyone.....

At least this one was nicer than the post you left in the other Mac mini thread, though not by much.
  • Reply 259 of 383
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

I'll admit that the updated Mac Mini looks nice, but for a MINIMUM of six benjamins, I feel it is quite underwhelming. I think the arguements in the end boil down to (again) being able to use OS X, which is a defense used for all Apple products. Also, lets not forget that $600 gets you only the computer. I just did a trial buy on Apple's site... $1,934 for the base configuration + 27" Apple monitor, Apple wireless keyboard & magic mouse, iWork, and AppleCare. Yikes.

Mac Mini 2010 - $1394 total ($987 for mini)

2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo

GeForce 320M

2GB RAM

320GB HDD

Apple Magic Mouse

Apple Wireless Keyboard

Dell SP2309 23" HD Widescreen w/webcam 2048x1152 resolution - $219

Add $188 for upgrades from New Egg

Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500GB 7200RPM 2.5" SATA $79

Crucial 2x2GB kit for $109

--

Base iMac - $1199 (+ tax and shipping)

3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo

GeForce 9400M

4GB RAM

500GB HDD

Apple Magic Mouse

Apple Wireless Keyboard

Built in Apple 21.5" display - 1920x1080 resolution

--

So for $195 (and a bit of install) you gain:

320M vs 9400M

23" 2048x1152 display vs 21.5" 1920x1080 display

spare 320GB HDD you can use in a cheap external enclosure for TimeMachine.

You lose

0.4Ghz CPU

Yes, the Dell is TN and the 21.5" is IPS. The IPS 23" UltraSharp is $299.

For me the Mini represents a better value than the 21.5" iMac given the GPU is faster and I can get the screen I want (whether IPS for photo or TN for gaming)

Personally, I'd get a 4GB module and 1 GB module for 5GB of RAM in the mini. The OCZ 4GB is down to $119 so it's only $10 more than the 2x2GB although I prefer Crucial over OCZ. At least I'm not throwing away the 2GB sticks if I want 8GB later.
  • Reply 260 of 383
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

The people who respond to this "complaint" are ignoring the fact that the starting price went up from the previous model. Instead of directly addressing the price increase over the previous model, they revert to the "Macs are premium priced", "You get what you pay for", "If you don't like it then go buy a PC" type of responses. So how about addressing why Apple raised the starting price instead of keeping it the same, like they have usually done?

Personally, I'm just happy that it got the 320M GPU. If bumping the mini $100 to the $699 price point means more refreshes I'm all for it.

Having Apple ignore the mini for another 18 months and keeping the 9400M would have seriously sucked. That big stretch from Mid 2007 to Early 2009 was really bad for mini lovers.

Since then we've had updates late 2009 and now mid 2010. If we get a mid/late 2011 update with Core i3 and a new GPU that would make the buy a new mini every year and ebay the old one strategy work fairly well.

Then the TCO for the mini should handily beat most iMacs.

And Apple doesn't really need a switcher machine anymore given the halo effect of the iPhone and iPad.