Apple releases redesigned Mac mini with HDMI port starting at $699

Comments

• Reply 121 of 383
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not technical, it's all business. I can't think of a single reason why they had to Mac Min had to be as small as it was or as small as it is now. It's impressive but it certainly doesn't seem like a practical expense for those looking for a low cost Mac, but maybe we're the ones looking at this wrong. Maybe Apple is focusing these on a different user.

Currently my first recommendation for business that are looking to upgrade their PCs.

There is nothing in the PC world that combines the power, flexibility and support that the Mac Mini/OS/Software provides at its price. Most companies are heavily invested in hardware that is more than capable of connecting to a mini, and yet use their most costly concerns, i.e., their current software. Great way to introduce Apple to a PC-centric audience.

With the recent explosive successes from Apple in the last couple of years, more decision makers, employees and even IT personnel are in the most part familiar with or an Apple user of some sort. And as I have noticed, the security issues surrounding PCs vs Macs is quickly sinking in.

I find it interesting that anyone would suggest a trimmed down version just to lower the price. As we have learned, netbooks are just plain slow, cumbersome and downright ugly. Why is it necessary that Apple degrade themselves just to satisfy a market that is such a failure?

And you are partially right, i.e, Apple is focusing these on the user.
  • Reply 122 of 383
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

What the hell is wrong with the price?

In 2 or 3 days I'll have a new mini server with 2 drives and APPLE SOFTWARE!

Too expensive - ballderdash - and other, more appropriate, expletives

I believe most people are complaining about the price of the base model. It received a $100 price increase. With the refresh people expected better hardware, but they expected the price point to stay the same, which is what happens with almost all new Apple product releases.

I think that the base model is hilariously overpriced. One thing that's funny is that if you upgrade the base model to the bigger hard drive, more ram, and faster processor, the price becomes $1049, which is more than the server model, and it only has one 5400RPM 500GB hard drive instead of 2 7200RPM 500GB hard drives. Sucks for people who want the specs of the server model except need an optical drive.

Almost makes sense to get a $999 server model + $99 external superdrive. Then for $50 more, you'd get 2 faster hard drives (though you'd have the bulk of the superdrive, though you probably wouldn't need it all the time).

IMO, they shouldn't have raised the price of the base model.
  • Reply 123 of 383
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    [QUOTE=Dlux;1653099]It seems that there would be a market for an Apple product that accomplishes the following:

1) Plays every form of Apple-supplied content.

2) Plays Netflix instant-play content.

3) Plays YouTube, Hulu, other internet-based content.

4) Plays BD discs.

5) Can be completely controlled using any touch iDevice

5a) Comes with a better bundled remote for out-of-the-box operation.

6) Supports HDMI, DisplayPort, optical audio out

7) Serves as an iPhone/iPod dock

8) Integrate seamlessly with a separate --and entirely optional-- iTunes package that turns a full-funtion Mac into a centralized home media library.[QUOTE]

I totally agree with you here. I've been posting about this for years now. I think a home-base-type of device is a necessity at this point. Especially now that the iPad is out. the fact that you need a computer for the iphone/ipod/ipad is kind of missing a huge market out there of people that only need these devices and not a full-blown computer. I think it's coming, the signs are starting to point in that direction.

spending $700+ on a home theater box (Mac Mini) is way overkill, AGREED!
  • Reply 124 of 383
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

I believe most people are complaining about the price of the base model. It received a $100 price increase. With the refresh people expected better hardware, but they expected the price point to stay the same, which is what happens with almost all new Apple product releases.

I think that the base model is hilariously overpriced. One thing that's funny is that if you upgrade the base model to the bigger hard drive, more ram, and faster processor, the price becomes $1049, which is more than the server model, and it only has one 5400RPM 500GB hard drive instead of 2 7200RPM 500GB hard drives. Sucks for people who want the specs of the server model except need an optical drive.

Almost makes sense to get a $999 server model + $99 external superdrive. Then for $50 more, you'd get 2 faster hard drives (though you'd have the bulk of the superdrive, though you probably wouldn't need it all the time).

IMO, they shouldn't have raised the price of the base model.

This one has me puzzled as well. I just don't see anything that would bump the cost by $100. The graphics card is a bit newer, but arguably still a base card, current for it's time, just as the old card was. Other than the HDMI port, and the SD Card reader, the incremental increases in CPU speed and storage capacity don't seem to warrant that price increase. This will be a tough sell for Apple. I would have to pass on this as well. $700 for something so minimal just doesn't make much sense.

I'm glad I just bought a mini a year and a half ago, and popped in my own hard drive and memory upgrades for less than this.
  • Reply 125 of 383
    I was excited to read about this update - and $699 usually equates to about £500-550, which is in itself a 7-10% increase on currency conversion plus sales tax. Apple says it costs more to do business in the UK, so we suck it up.

BUT HOW DOES $699 equate to £649 ???????????
  • Reply 126 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryan_khoo View Post

If buying a LCD monitor to connect to the mini, what is the maximum size of lcd monitor the mini can take ? (24" or 27")

Thanks

im running mine on a dell 24"..really nice.
  • Reply 127 of 383
    The EASY user installed ram is huge.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

The RAM mark-up is a discrace!!!

Ok, $500 extra for 8 gigs of RAM? That's almost 72% of the entire computer's cost just in RAM. "F"-that! I'm so glad you can access the RAM yourself. Otherwise this would be a no-deal for me. When my POS Dell kicks it (or when i'm tired replacing memory chips because of faulty hardware) i'm getting this little baby. I'm so glad i waited to buy this 2 years ago, this update is HUGE!

• Reply 128 of 383
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Ok, $500 extra for 8 gigs of RAM? That's almost 72% of the entire computer's cost just in RAM. "F"-that! I'm so glad you can access the RAM yourself. Otherwise this would be a no-deal for me. When my POS Dell kicks it (or when i'm tired replacing memory chips because of faulty hardware) i'm getting this little baby. I'm so glad i waited to buy this 2 years ago, this update is HUGE!

Maybe you should check on RAM prices before complaining. Laptop SODIMMs are expensive:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...844&CatId=4153

That exact memory is $429 plus shipping. Plus, you have to install it yourself. Plus, there's no Apple warranty on the memory. Plus, you don't know if it's going to work (there's a history of third party memory not working with Macs). Plus, if you break something while installing the memory, you're SOL.

Personally, I'd pay Apple $500 for the memory rather than buying it from a third party for $429 plus shipping. OK, you'll get $50 back by selling the 1 GB memory on eBay, but it's still not an overwhelming difference - certainly in line with what many computer vendors charge for RAM upgrades.
  • Reply 129 of 383
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

I wonder if this means the end for the AppleTV? It seems to have been removed from both Apple's main website and their online store.

it's there. I think they might have shifted it from Mac to ipod but it is there. I just looked in the store.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hugh Jarse View Post

I was excited to read about this update - and $699 usually equates to about £500-550, which is in itself a 7-10% increase on currency conversion plus sales tax. Apple says it costs more to do business in the UK, so we suck it up.

BUT HOW DOES $699 equate to £649 ???????????

$699 is the pre sales tax amount. So convert it, then add 17.5% VAT. We'll go low and say 500 pounds. with the VAT that's 587 pounds (give or take a couple). The rest is customs etc. Same as we pay on UK items sold in the US
  • Reply 130 of 383
    Why no i5 or i7?

Core 2 is surely tired by now.

Just wondering.
  • Reply 131 of 383
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not technical, it's all business. I can't think of a single reason why they had to Mac Min had to be as small as it was or as small as it is now. It's impressive but it certainly doesn't seem like a practical expense for those looking for a low cost Mac, but maybe we're the ones looking at this wrong. Maybe Apple is focusing these on a different user.

I think it's a good deal for what you get. Yeah, you have to supply a monitor and keyboard+mouse, and if you don't have those items, you're probably better off getting an iMac or low end MB(P), unless you fear all-in-one designs, but, if you do you can get a Mac for a pretty good price. People really should just give up on the idea that Apple's going to sell a Mini for a price approaching a cheap PC, at least partly because, now that Apple has created a certain brand image for itself, that would end up weakening it.

The server model seems like an even better deal and a good option for a small server. (Especially if you don't have an old PC lying around that you can drop Linux onto, or the inclination to do so.)
  • Reply 132 of 383
    teunisteunis Posts: 23member
    AppleTV still available on the Canadian site, under iPod.

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/hom...BUYNOW-APPLETV
  • Reply 133 of 383
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

Newegg will sell you 8GB of Mini RAM for as low as $320. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teunis View Post

AppleTV still available on the Canadian site, under iPod.

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/hom...BUYNOW-APPLETV

AppleTV is available in the same location ("Shop iPod") on the US store as well.
  • Reply 134 of 383
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HappyPappy View Post

Why no i5 or i7?

Core 2 is surely tired by now.

Just wondering.

Energy consumption. Switching to i5 or i7 would require more energy - which requires more cooling and a bigger power supply. The unit would have to become significantly larger.

Plus, of course, you can see dozens of people whining about the price. Either i5 or i7 would increase the price - making the whining even worse.
  • Reply 135 of 383
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Nice upgrade.

Just too much which is not surprising.

Apple does not know how to build a computer for under $500 you know.
  • Reply 136 of 383
    amador_oamador_o Posts: 67member
    Apple wants us to move completely over to digital content. How could you not buy the server after the price increase to the entry level mini?
  • Reply 137 of 383
    Could this announcement mean that the new Mac Pro, 6 and 12-core desktops are not far behind? Hope so.
  • Reply 138 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The funny part is that half of the whiners are saying it's too expensive while the other half are saying it needs to have BD added (which would it cost for a BD drive small enough for the Mini? An extra $500 or more?)

Why is it funny to you that different people have different preferences? By inference, you regard opinions that differ from yours as "funny". Your attitude strikes me as funny.

I really, really detest your use of the word "whiners". I detest you for this, and I detest everyone who uses this word in a similar way, to dismiss the opinions of people who offer reasoned criticisms of a product from which you evidently derive your sense of self-worth. I've read through most of the posts here, and without exception, the critical comments were well-reasoned. I did not see one critical comment that was baseless.

Quote:

Yes, but there are posters who whine about everything. At the same time as some people whine, Apple is obviously selling a lot of Minis, so there are people who think they're fairly priced. There is no RIGHT price. Apple sets the price that they think is appropriate and you decide to buy or not to buy. It's that simple.

And there are people like you who think it is chivalrous to come to the aid of a gigantic corporation like Apple every time that someone else dares to speak of what it is about the product that they happen not to like. Yes, Apple sells lots of computers, but in what way do you imagine that this is a counter argument to the reasoned criticisms that various people have offered? It is as though you believe that people derived their criticisms from the false assumption that Apple is not successful at selling computers. Your response is sophomoric. You have added nothing but noise to this discussion.

Quote:

As I said, you're free to buy a cheapo system with immense failure rates and support lines that require you to speak Swahili if you wish. No one is stopping you.

What exactly is the nature of your dysfunction? Why do you think it helpful, useful, or relevant for you to repeatedly state the obvious? Do you really think that it is not obvious to everyone that the people who have shared their reasoned criticisms can buy other computers? Several people have even pointed this out, and I would have wondered why they did so, since this is manifest, but perhaps they did so because they anticipated that you would come along and tell them that they can buy other computers. Why don't you offer a polite, reasoned rebuttal in the form of a list of reasons that you think the new Mini is worth the new price? This is the only polite, civilized way for you to react to the opinions with which you clearly take strong exception. But thus far, you have made no sincere effort to list the reasons that you think the new Mini is worth the new price. Are you really as dysfunctional as make yourself appear to be?

Quote:

BTW, That Inspiron is over twice the size of the Mini - miniaturization costs money.

FINALLY! An informed, reasoned, polite, civil rebuttal that nearly manages to simply point out advantages of the Mini that, for some people, makes it worth the extra cost. But you still didn't quite manage it, because you used a tone that is less than polite, starting with that "BTW". The "BTW" adds no true meaning to your point. It is thrown in simply as a slur.

Quote:

Of course there's no technical reason. Apple could sell a motherboard and power supply in a cardboard box for $100 if they wish. But that's not the business they're in. They've chose to offer the current Mini as their entry point based on 30 years of industry experience and the best marketing team (at least for technology products) in the world. All these complaints are just plain foolish - until you can demonstrate that you can do it better.

You disgust me. All that this is about is your effort to make yourself into a "White Knight" by coming to the defense of poor-little-old Apple Computer. That is all this is about. You barely managed to give any meaningful rebuttal at all to the various reasoned criticisms that various people have offered. You have added zero value to this discussion. All you have added is a whole lot of noise. You final sentence implies (in an overt way) that you think it is wrong for any person to ever offer any reasoned criticism of any product unless they can make a better product for less money! Yes, this is exactly what you are saying, and this is preposterous.
  • Reply 139 of 383
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjw View Post

Dear Mr Jobs (or, if any Apple employees are reading this, please forward),

Myself and many like me will immediately purchase a small computer than can:

- play DVDs

- play CDs

- play an iTunes library (either from it's own hard disk or, from a NAS)

- play ripped DVDs (either from it's own hard disk or, from a NAS) - and hey, I know the industry doesn't like it but it is a fact that a lot of people do this.

- surf the internet

- connect to a HDTV for video

- connect to a receiver for audio

- has a user friendly front end (Front Row will do but I'm sure Apple can improve on this solid foundation)

- play Blu-ray

I know the AppleTV is pitched at this but it doesn't quite hit the mark. ....

The thing you are forgetting is that the Apple TV is pitched at a lot of different uses.

One of them is indeed the AppleTV-esque do-it-all living room media computer you want it to be, but it's not the only market they are aiming at. With this revision, the Mac Mini becomes one step short of perfect for this kind of living-room use (because it lacks blu-ray), but it's still pretty darn close to perfect.

The fact is however, that there are lots of other use scenarios that it's also aimed at and also good for.
  • Reply 140 of 383
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    this is an unbelieavably sexy device that sets new standards for ultra compact desktop computers. Absolutely stunning and powerful.

That said, I have a sour feeling here. Apple should have already released a home server nas, I am to my neck in files and just can't manage them anymore between phones, pads, lappies, imacs, an ipods, and I can't keep plugging everything in and out. The time capsule should be upgraded to a nas home server.

And cross device file syncing via wifi and the cloud is desperately needed. Steve aknowledged that in part, but....