Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The "SQUARE".

yea, it's REALLY well hidden this time.
  • Reply 82 of 274
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wvmb99 View Post

However, $699 for this little machine does put it a bit into the boutique category.... Don't know if I can justify this one.

You do realise that "boutique computers" is the category that Apple caters for and pretty much created. Just thought I'd put that out there.

But it is a little on the expensive size.
  • Reply 83 of 274
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The price isn't a disappointment - the price is a joke.

No doubt. If they had thrown-in bluray, a wireless keyboard and glidepad then $699 would be more reasonable.

I'll just skip this one.
  • Reply 84 of 274
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

yea, it's REALLY well hidden this time.

Well hidden but it is there.
  • Reply 85 of 274
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Why is everyone complaining about the price. From my perspective this unit costs $100 *LESS* than the $799 I paid for a Mac Mini with lower specs.

Yeah, there is no longer a low-end model, but AFAICT the new machine outspecs my $800 machine for $699.

THAT seems like a good deal to me.

Yes, it would be nice to have a $499 introductory machine, but a $699 high-spec item is better than a $599 low-spec and $799 high-spec model.

Of course, I've also learned that you *really* want a faster hard drive....
  • Reply 86 of 274
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    dimensions:

7.7" x 7.7" x 1.4" => new Mac Mini

7.7" x 7.7" x 1.1" => current Apple TV

Coincidence? I think Not! My prediction is that the aTV will be shelfed at some point and Mac Mini will offer a "Mac Mini - HTPC". It will cost probably $499, and run iOSx instead of SL OSx. AND (as some may complain) will NOT have a BD drive. It will be like the Server option, no optical drive.

You heard it here first!
  • Reply 87 of 274
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

dimensions:

Coincidence? I think Not! My prediction is that the aTV will be shelfed at some point and Mac Mini will offer a "Mac Mini - HTPC". It will cost probably $499, and run iOSx instead of SL OSx. AND (as some may complain) will NOT have a BD drive. It will be like the Server option, no optical drive.

You heard it here first!

Sorry but very few people would buy it and it would be a flop. No one was even willing to buy an TV at 1/3 the price. People generally don't like buying things that doesn't replace something they already have.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

You do realise that "boutique computers" is the category that Apple caters for and pretty much created. Just thought I'd put that out there.

But it is a little on the expensive size.

True but there is a point where price exceeds value. We are getting to the point where there is no Mac under $1000 in an industry where PC prices are decreasing.
  • Reply 88 of 274
    jjcalejjcale Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You were right the first time. It all boils down to being competitive. Apple knows what their competitors sell and for how much. The annoyance I'm hearing is that Apple isn't going to sell a cheaper, stripped-down model to go up against their competitors' cheaper stripped-down models. Anybody who is seriously surprised by that just hasn't been paying attention.

Here in Germany the Dell Studio Hybrid is 649? vs. MacMini 799?. Apple isn't competitive at all. Ok, the server is nice but if you need a mini as a computer, not as a media center you get better an iMac.

But then who pays such much money for a media center???
  • Reply 89 of 274
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    How fast is the hard drive? I hope it's not a stinking 5200rpm they've slapped into their laptops.

EDIT: Darn it, it is a 5200 rpm. For a company like Apple they sure know how to use second-rate parts. Why not throw in a 512 MB 600 MHz DDR ram stick? Slow hard drives also made me not want to get a new MacBook.
  • Reply 90 of 274
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

dimensions:

You heard it here first!

That doesn't even make sense.

#1 - A mac running iOS? Umm... no.

#2 - iOS running natively on x86 hardware? No.

#3 - A price increase on Apple TV? That wouldn't help sales.

#4 - Jobs said people don't want an expensive set top box that doesn't replace any of their existing devices. They would have no reason to make this.

On the other hand, Engadget's rumored tiny $99 Apple TV with limited storage and running iOS makes a lot of sense.

Edit: The dimensions also match time capsule. If anything, I'd expect the next airport extreme to take the same form.
  • Reply 91 of 274
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

True but there is a point where price exceeds value. We are getting to the point where there is no Mac under $1000 in an industry where PC prices are decreasing.

1. The Mini is well under $1000, even the Server is still under $1000, as is the MacBook.

2. It seems obvious, because it's been discussed ad nauseum, that PC prices are decreasing because they are building them cheaper and cheaper, while Apple is building computers better and better. As pointed out earlier in the thread, this out-specs the previous high-end mac Mini, meaning that it ought not be compared to the low-end model, which was basically dropped, so it's essentially a price cut. As also pointed out, it seems to be priced comparably to a similarly spec'd Dell, so it's also competitive with PC pricing. And the Server model is an excellent deal, especially for a small office.

The argument that their ought to be cheaper Macs effectively amounts to arguing that Apple should build some cheapo hardware to satisfy supposed demand. But I don't see how that would benefit them, and, ultimately, I don't think it would benefit users, either, but just result in a diminished ownership experience.
  • Reply 92 of 274
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

1. The Mini is well under $1000, even the Server is still under $1000, as is the MacBook.

2. It seems obvious, because it's been discussed ad nauseum, that PC prices are decreasing because they are building them cheaper and cheaper, while Apple is building computers better and better. As pointed out earlier in the thread, this out-specs the previous high-end mac Mini, meaning that it ought not be compared to the low-end model, which was basically dropped, so it's essentially a price cut. As also pointed out, it seems to be priced comparably to a similarly spec'd Dell, so it's also competitive with PC pricing. And the Server model is an excellent deal, especially for a small office.

The argument that their ought to be cheaper Macs effectively amounts to arguing that Apple should build some cheapo hardware to satisfy supposed demand. But I don't see how that would benefit them, and, ultimately, I don't think it would benefit users, either, but just result in a diminished ownership experience.

1. The Mini is priced under a thousand but the price of the Mini has only gone up since its debut. The Macbook is $999 and tax will take you over that threshold.

2. The Mini may favor comparably with the Dell but we are reaching the point where there is no low-level Mac. The Mini was originally intended to be a computer that lured potential switchers. I can't honestly recommend this to anyone and would tell them to get an iMac or Macbook instead.
  • Reply 93 of 274
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Eh, I'll be using my good old education discount anyways.

So that will save you about $50? Apple's education discounts on hardware doesn''t save you much money anymore. You will save more buying from Amazon without sales tax and free shipping.
  • Reply 94 of 274
    philotechphilotech Posts: 106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jjcale View Post

Here in Germany the Dell Studio Hybrid is 649? vs. MacMini 799?. Apple isn't competitive at all. Ok, the server is nice but if you need a mini as a computer, not as a media center you get better an iMac.

But then who pays such much money for a media center???

Better take the Zino HD for comparison. It's EUR 379 (compared to EUR 809), apparently with different specs, including the AMD X2 3250E 1,5 GHz CPU (no idea how fast that is compared to the C2D in the Mac mini), 3 GB RAM, 640 GB 7200/min HD, also no Bluray, but (cheap) wireless keyboard and mouse.

The footprint is pretty much the same, the height is quite a bit more than even the previous Mac mini, and of course it's ugly.

But still, I can get more than two of them for the price of a single Mac mini.

Assuming the price of the Mac mini is not all profit, I can't really see where there is room for savings. How much is the mini's CPU, and how much can you save by using a lower-end version of the C2D? Other than that, there is no hardware to strip or use lower-spec versions, even on the HD there's nothing to save probably by using a smaller model.
  • Reply 95 of 274
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

maybe i'm just the jerk that keeps hammering at dead horses, but where the hell is the IR port on the mini? The old one had an IR port for the remote. The new one doesn't. What the hell, apple? This isn't a media center if it doesn't have a tiny remote!!!!!

GAH!

iPad FAIL.

Mini FAIL.

Stop going backwards!

EDIT:

Turns out it's just REALLY really well hidden this time. It still exists. I rescind my inflammatory reply.

"This time"? You realize it's in *exactly the same place* it's been in the last revision. AND the revision before that.

I hope you realize how your message makes you come across. (That would be reactionary, unwilling to do the slightest bit of research, and misinformed.)
  • Reply 96 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

How fast is the hard drive? I hope it's not a stinking 5200rpm they've slapped into their laptops.

EDIT: Darn it, it is a 5200 rpm. For a company like Apple they sure know how to use second-rate parts. Why not throw in a 512 MB 600 MHz DDR ram stick? Slow hard drives also made me not want to get a new MacBook.

Because there isn't a significant difference between a 5400 RPM drive and a 7200 RPM drive. I had a 60GB 7200 RPM drive in my PowerBook G4 and switched it for a 120GB 5400 RPM drive and saw no difference in speed. I did see an increase in speed from both drives when I removed the slow 4200 RPM 40 GB drive.
  • Reply 97 of 274
    I guess this will replace the ridiculous AppleTV.
  • Reply 98 of 274
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Sadly, even I was somewhat disappointed by the new Mini's offering. My only wish was for it to have a quad-core option. We were waiting to see what Apple would introduce.

Our shop was seriously considering using the minis to run up to three VMware/Windows XP instances and use them as remote-desktop clients. Unfortunately, the Core2-duo in my opinion just will not cut it.

I thnk the price is competitive compared to other offerings. But with no quad-core option I will have to review non-Apple offerings. Perhaps Apple will update the chip later in the year.

We were planning on purchasing 3 to 5 of them for an initial start and more down the road if they work for us.

Bummer.
  • Reply 99 of 274
    fyngyrzfyngyrz Posts: 61member
    I agree that $499 was (just barely) in the range to encourage switchers. Bottom feeder prices for PCs are considerably below that. Yes, the mini offers much more -- but people's pocketbooks don't magically get deeper because there are more features. This economy is terrible; that's a fact that directly impacts many people.

$499 was something I could justify, just barely. At that price, I got quite a few people to buy minis. $599 was really too much, and I stopped trying. At $699... that's not anyone's "switcher" price. That's an elite price for a computer for most people (and remember -- you still need a monitor and KB. And more RAM -- 2 GB is not sufficient these days, especially with a paging, multitasking OS like the Mac's.) Fully configured - 500 gb drive, 8 gb ram, 2.66 GHz cpu, you're looking at $1449... man. Ouch, even.

I like the new features just fine. But I would have much rather seen a bottom of the line model that I could have continued to use to increase the number of Mac users. We already have great machines at the $1000 level and above. The people with ready cash were covered.

Oh, well.
  • Reply 100 of 274
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

dimensions:

You heard it here first!

more like Apple is going to announce a TV soon

someone i know just bought a new LG 47" LED LCD TV. there are like 5 companies in the world that make the panels and they are a commodity.

the TV can hit netflix and youtube among other online services. it runs Linux as the OS

Apple needs to get in on this or risk iTunes being surpassed by Netflix. why buy from iTunes when i can rent for $8.99 a month?