$100 increase for Apple's redesigned Mac mini seen as disappointment

Comments

• Reply 101 of 274
    kwatsonkwatson Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by universeman View Post

Who wants to own a movie when they're all available for streaming? One day. I have never understood why people would want to have racks of plastic discs in their living rooms.

You must not have kids...same movies...over and over and over...renting makes no sense.
  • Reply 102 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I've been pretty pissed about the price increase as well. But if you go to dell's website and price out a 50/50 comparable machine (the Dell Studio Hybrid) it prices out at $689.

2.2 Ghtz w/ 3MB cache, 2 gigs ram, SD slot, HDMI, etc. So even though i'm pissed abotu the price of this, it's competitive. I guess it all boils down to components.

It still is a little amazing that you couldn't get the price down to at least $499 at the entry level.

Except for the fact that the dell actually includes a MONITOR AND WIRELESS MOUSE/KEYBOARD so you can use the computer...yeah i guess it is competitive
  • Reply 103 of 274
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    I'm shocked at the price increase. They'd better not do that with the next iMac.

While I hated the external power supply, putting it inside that tiny case makes me think this mini is going to burn up like the Time Capsule does. Apple's most reliable model may have just become one of their most troubled ones. I'd wait at least 18 months before taking a chance on it. By then they might have come to their senses and lowered the price too.
  • Reply 104 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

it should have had Blu Ray. Doesn't that seem logical?

Not when Apple has massive server farms just waiting to sell you HD content through iTunes.
  • Reply 105 of 274
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwatson View Post

You must not have kids...same movies...over and over and over...renting makes no sense.

People without kids just don't get it. A movie has to be really bad to be played fewer than 20 times.

My kids have probably watched Cars a dozen times this year alone.
  • Reply 106 of 274
    I'm not seeing a Kensington Lock port anywhere...how do you secure a system that is only slightly larger than a Sony Discman without a cable lock?
  • Reply 107 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Sadly, even I was somewhat disappointed by the new Mini's offering. My only wish was for it to have a quad-core option. We were waiting to see what Apple would introduce.

Our shop was seriously considering using the minis to run up to three VMware/Windows XP instances and use them as remote-desktop clients. Unfortunately, the Core2-duo in my opinion just will not cut it.

I thnk the price is competitive compared to other offerings. But with no quad-core option I will have to review non-Apple offerings. Perhaps Apple will update the chip later in the year.

We were planning on purchasing 3 to 5 of them for an initial start and more down the road if they work for us.

Bummer.

Won't happen until after the MacBook Pros get it.
  • Reply 108 of 274
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

1. The Mini is priced under a thousand but the price of the Mini has only gone up since its debut. The Macbook is $999 and tax will take you over that threshold.

Well, you didn't say "including tax", but you can actually get the MacBook for $969 at Amazon, free shipping and no tax (collected by them). But, it's still, contrary to the title of the article, a $100 price cut.

Quote:

2. The Mini may favor comparably with the Dell but we are reaching the point where there is no low-level Mac. The Mini was originally intended to be a computer that lured potential switchers. I can't honestly recommend this to anyone and would tell them to get an iMac or Macbook instead.

It's still a good system at a good price for switchers, if they have a decent monitor, keyboard, mouse. But, yeah, obviously, if not, the iMac or Mac Book is probably a better way to go. You can't just keep slashing, or even maintaining prices, and maintain quality, somethings got to give, and although I'm sure everyone thinks it should be Apple's margins, that's the money that keeps them able to make this stuff, and other, new stuff, like iPads.
  • Reply 109 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

People without kids just don't get it. A movie has to be really bad to be played fewer than 20 times.

My kids have probably watched Cars a dozen times this year alone.

You sir, are absolutely correct.
  • Reply 110 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

1. The Mini is well under $1000, even the Server is still under $1000, as is the MacBook.

2. It seems obvious, because it's been discussed ad nauseum, that PC prices are decreasing because they are building them cheaper and cheaper, while Apple is building computers better and better. As pointed out earlier in the thread, this out-specs the previous high-end mac Mini, meaning that it ought not be compared to the low-end model, which was basically dropped, so it's essentially a price cut. As also pointed out, it seems to be priced comparably to a similarly spec'd Dell, so it's also competitive with PC pricing. And the Server model is an excellent deal, especially for a small office.

The argument that their ought to be cheaper Macs effectively amounts to arguing that Apple should build some cheapo hardware to satisfy supposed demand. But I don't see how that would benefit them, and, ultimately, I don't think it would benefit users, either, but just result in a diminished ownership experience.

Don't set a desk fan next to a lot of the current offerings of PCs right now, you are likely to blow the darn thing off your desk.
  • Reply 111 of 274
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Why is everyone complaining about the price. From my perspective this unit costs $100 *LESS* than the $799 I paid for a Mac Mini with lower specs.

Yeah, there is no longer a low-end model, but AFAICT the new machine outspecs my $800 machine for $699.

Moore's Law. Besides, the price in Europe works out at $979. And the Mac mini server is $1409.
  • Reply 112 of 274
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    $790 excluding VAT in the UK.

It's becoming an increasingly niche product. The 21.5" iMac (with screen, keyboard and mouse) isn't much more.
  • Reply 113 of 274
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

dimensions:

7.7" x 7.7" x 1.4" => new Mac Mini

7.7" x 7.7" x 1.1" => current Apple TV

Coincidence? I think Not! My prediction is that the aTV will be shelfed at some point and Mac Mini will offer a "Mac Mini - HTPC". It will cost probably $499, and run iOSx instead of SL OSx. AND (as some may complain) will NOT have a BD drive. It will be like the Server option, no optical drive.

You heard it here first!

That is the worst prediction I've ever heard.
  • Reply 114 of 274
    It seems no matter what product Apple releases, there will always be a huge cry out from the tech world that the price is too high. It happened with the Macbook Air, the Mac Pro, the iMac, the original mac mini. The only break Apple caught on the price was the iPad. That was because the original guesses were so high at $1,000. And there still were people complaining that $500 was too much for a tablet computer.

I think Apple gets it by now. Their products will always cost more than what you expect to pay and they will pay dearly in the blog world for that. Get over it. Either see the $100 increase over the previous version as a justified expense or go buy a windows machine. Is $100 difference from the previous Mac Mini worth the daily aggravation you will experience with a Dell or HP machine? Only you can answer that.

And if you think adding a keyboard and mouse and screen pushes you to a higher cost level, Apple is ready with plenty of laptops and desktops to fill that need with all those things built in.
  • Reply 115 of 274
    £649 for a glorified door stop.

Oh dear. *Puts head in hands.

Apple. What is this?

£649 for a core 2 duo. No quad. 2 gigs of ram. Integrated crappics. It's a very expensive foot warmer in Winter. It's stuff like this that gives Apple it's over priced, rip-off boutique reputation.

Jeeze, what were they thinking?

Couldn't they put a cheap ass quad in there? And the cheap ass 4850? No. That would over shadow the entry level Mac 'Pro' (drips with sarcasm...)

Couldn't they have made the design bigger and given us a 'Cube' mini-tower..?

Instead we get an expensive 'cheap ass' computer.

I'm sure someone will buy it.

It won't be me.

A backwards step in Apple's desktop 'policy.' I'd hate to call it a strategy. If it is the latter, it's insidious.

'No.'

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 116 of 274
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm just wondering if part of the price hike is the result of massive pay raises in China. The only other explanation is the unibody case which has to be more expensive than the old one.

I'm just looking for a reasonable explanation as it is a rather stiff price increase. The price is currently stiff but not totally unreasonable.

Dave
  • Reply 116 of 274
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

maybe i'm just the jerk that keeps hammering at dead horses, but where the hell is the IR port on the mini? The old one had an IR port for the remote. The new one doesn't. What the hell, apple? This isn't a media center if it doesn't have a tiny remote!!!!!

GAH!

iPad FAIL.

Mini FAIL.

Stop going backwards!

EDIT:

Turns out it's just REALLY really well hidden this time. It still exists. I rescind my inflammatory reply.

Emm, talking about "going backwards". IR remote? As in "line of sight"? Really? Use your iPhone or iPad as a remote, buddy, with Apple Remote or anything third party.
  • Reply 118 of 274
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Emm, talking about "going backwards". IR remote? As in "line of sight"? Really? Use your iPhone or iPad as a remote, buddy, with Apple Remote or anything third party.

As numerous people have already stated, the IR receiver is still there anyway.
  • Reply 119 of 274
    When was the last time Apple offered a 'good deal' for its desktops?

Uhm. I'd reach and say the inclusion of a 27 inch monitor in the iMac once the 27 inch monitor filters down to the sub-1k model. *Don't hold your breath.

*fek me. The mac mini started at under £400 originally. Now it's £249 more at least. I can't be arsed to work out the % increase. Who cares? It's expensive. Put the 'premium' (let's be polite) 24 inch monitor with it that Apple also sell. Total? Expensive.

£1200+ for an ancient crap core duo with integrated crappics.

All those excuses we made during the PPC era. Apple have got worse with their prices since then! In a 'commodity' market with 'choice.'

Gooohhhd.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 120 of 274
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm just wondering if part of the price hike ...

It's been pointed out that the new Mini, at $699, out-specs the old $799 Mini. So this isn't a price hike, it's a $100 price cut on an upgrade, despite what the title of the article implies.

The "price hike" is just an illusion based on elimination of the low-end model. One can argue that the entry price has been "hiked", which is a valid point, but the Mini price, based on specs, has been cut.