Inside iOS 4: Missing features for iPhone 3G users

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

Apple ? Fragmentation ? How that can be ?

The rest of the world just call them upgrades.

But inside the SJRDF there exists a double standard:

When it happens to iOS it's "legacy".

When it happens to Android it's "fragmentation".
  • Reply 62 of 91
    Author should be more precise to writing this kind of opinions on AppleInsider.

myTouch 3G has Android 2.1 already. We have one from T-Mobile (few weeks now) and if you purchased it recently you will have newer version of the system. Also one can install newer system from Google on those phones on their own. So stop talking that it is not available, because it is not true.

(big fun and user of Apple computers, iPods e.t.c.... but not as far as tablet or iPhone)
  • Reply 63 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

[The performance drop on iPhone 3G due to iOS 4] is noticeable, my 3G feels sluggish at times[?] Lovely upgrade no doubt, but I wouldn't recommend on the 3G unless experimenting it, in anticipation of the new phone.

I agree, and fit this description. iOS 4 feels very well-thought-out and solid, just hobbled by the iPhone 3G's limited hardware. Having the opportunity to feel out some of the new features (primarily Folders) has been great though; I've gone from 11 fully packed home screens to four spacious screens of folders. I'm looking forward to picking up my iPhone 4 bright and early tomorrow morning.

It'd be nice if (yes, starting the wish list already), in the next update, Apple allows the option for home screen rotation, or the option to configure the number of icons per home screen.
  • Reply 64 of 91
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Ok, I took the plunge. I updated my iPod Touch to 4.0, and it's very nice. I don't notice it to be any slower than it was before, which isn't slow at all. I have second gen iPod Touch. I love the new look of the UI, too.
  • Reply 65 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

When it happens to iOS it's "legacy".

When it happens to Android it's "fragmentation".

Let's take a look into the irrational mind of a self proclaimed troll.
    • Apple stops supporting a device after 3 full years of rich updates alongside all pocketable iDevices. (you call it fragmentation)

• Apple adds all features it can to older devices unless they severely affect performance (you call it fragmentation)

• Apple updates all their devices for 3 years at the same time (you say that's no big deal)

• Android 2.2 releases for only one device and yet devices that are also under a year old (much less 3) have no update in sight (you say that's no big deal)

• New Android phones come to market with an older OS than the one device that gets Android 2.2. (you say that's no big deal)
    Awesome¡
  • Reply 66 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

• New Android phones come to market with an older OS than the one device that gets Android 2.2. (you say that's no big deal)

You should clarify that brand new Android phones have been released within the past month with Android 1.6.

That's fragmentation, people.
  • Reply 67 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Bosh, total and utter bosh. All iPhones and iPod touches can multi-task. That's how they can play iTunes music while using other apps or why users can talk on the phone and browse the web at the same time. Enough RAM isn't the issue and never has been.

Apple could have easily added multi-tasking, at least at the level or allowing 1-2 apps to run in the background. That feature for Apple apps been there from day one.They chose to not do so because they're greedy. They want to force us to upgrade. Please quit shilling for them or blaming their engineers.

Crippling products to force users to upgrade. Day by day, Apple is getting more and more like Microsoft.

You just don't understand Apple. Yes, they could make a special form of multi-tasking just for the 3G that only allows 1 or 2 simultaneous apps to fit in the limited available memory, but they've got no interest in fragmenting the user experience in that way - it's one way or no way. Personally I'm fine with that, it's what makes apple products consistent and predictable
  • Reply 68 of 91
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Let's clear the air right now: iOS 4 on iPhone 3G sucks.

How do I revert?
  • Reply 69 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Let's clear the air right now: iOS 4 on iPhone 3G sucks.

How do I revert?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...69#post1658669
  • Reply 70 of 91
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

You definitely contradict your username. Thanks for helping!

• Reply 71 of 91
    Quote:

? Apple stops supporting a device after 3 full years of rich updates alongside all pocketable iDevices. (you call it fragmentation)

? Apple adds all features it can to older devices unless they severely affect performance (you call it fragmentation)

? Apple updates all their devices for 3 years at the same time (you say that's no big deal)

? Android 2.2 releases for only one device and yet devices that are also under a year old (much less 3) have no update in sight (you say that's no big deal)

? New Android phones come to market with an older OS than the one device that gets Android 2.2. (you say that's no big deal)
    Awesome¡

It might be more awesome if you read posts before replying to them.

Please note that I never referred to iOS upgrades as "fragmentation". That's all yours.

In fact, had you not gone out of your way to edit my post when you quoted it you would have included my first line to guide your reply:

Quote:

The rest of the world just call them upgrades.

• Reply 72 of 91
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:

? Apple stops supporting a device after 3 full years of rich updates alongside all pocketable iDevices. (you call it fragmentation)

? Apple adds all features it can to older devices unless they severely affect performance (you call it fragmentation)

? Apple updates all their devices for 3 years at the same time (you say that's no big deal)

? Android 2.2 releases for only one device and yet devices that are also under a year old (much less 3) have no update in sight (you say that's no big deal)

? New Android phones come to market with an older OS than the one device that gets Android 2.2. (you say that's no big deal)
    Awesome¡

Android 2.2 has not been released at all. It's still in development. The Nexus One serves as a developer platform, and many users have installed Froyo (2.2) in development builds. Also, many users have rooted their HTC, Motorola, and Samsung devices and done the same. Android 2.1 is the latest officially released version of Android. However, many users of phones must wait quite a while before getting updates when the new release hits the streets. The phone manufacturer is in charge of making sure that all their hardware on the phones are supported. That takes time, and in some cases, doesn't even happen. You can count on the fact that the very newest phones will get Froyo when it's released, followed by some phones waiting months, and some never even getting the update. With the iPhone, iOS 4 got released, and everyone with compatible hardware can upgrade. That's very nice. It keeps users able to download the latest apps because they essentially stay on the same release.

Apple has a long history of 3 years of support. Back when I owned my PowerPC 604e based machine, they would obsolete hardware just about every 3 years. That's an eternity in the electronics world. Realistically, how long does the average user keep their latest/greatest laptop/desktop? A 3 year old computer is considered a slug. Same thing for phones. The G1 is considered a dinosaur. Progress is inevitable, even if some have to be left behind.
  • Reply 73 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

I've been deliberating all day on whether to update my 3G with iOS 4. Hardly seems worth it. Might even slow it down?

Anybody updated 3G with new iOS?

my bullshit detector is going CRAZY on this one. It already multitasks. It performs better BECAUSE they enabled multitasking. 3G could do multitasking and perform better, but they ARENT CURRENTLY SELLING THAT ONE SO INSTEAD IT GETS HOBBLED. It's totally bs. Even if they set it to a hard limit of only X number of apps could multitask, that would have been better than willfully kneecapping older phones to push sales.
  • Reply 74 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Balsak View Post

Yes benchmarks have show iOS 4 slows down the 3GS, but remember that the 3G will not get multitasking. You will probably get a slight performance drop, but I doubt Apple would even release it if it was anything notable.

you're doubly incorrect.
  • Reply 75 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Android 2.2 has not been released at all.

That appears to all change today.
  • Reply 76 of 91
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wersedated View Post

iOS 4 is working great on my iPad......the 2 year old products can run it but not the 2 month old ones....nice move Apple. Nice move.

How did you get it installed on your iPad?
  • Reply 77 of 91
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Read Trumptman's posts to understand why you're full of shit.

He can only be half full of shit because there are times where Apple has indeed done this merely to drive upgrades. In this instance Apple was 100% justified but in the instance for example of Apple claiming the 2G couldn't do MMS, well Apple was full of crap there.

Now that said, Apple is dead right on this one. Perhaps the extra code to enable the task-switching or third party apps is really minimal or might do better with an update, but for now, on the 3G, it seriously drives down performance by like 50% and I'd bet it is a paging issue related to memory.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

my bullshit detector is going CRAZY on this one. It already multitasks. It performs better BECAUSE they enabled multitasking. 3G could do multitasking and perform better, but they ARENT CURRENTLY SELLING THAT ONE SO INSTEAD IT GETS HOBBLED. It's totally bs. Even if they set it to a hard limit of only X number of apps could multitask, that would have been better than willfully kneecapping older phones to push sales.

It does multitask on select tasks and might be able to do as well for iOS4 and someone might be able to fix the current problems with some jailbreak apps that help manage memory a bit or shut down unnecessary services. Since my desired multitasking outcome is quite literally very specific, I'd love a program that turns the multitasking on and off for 3G. Then I could put up with the reduced response while running the two programs I need concurrently and then go back to having more performance afterward. Also even when using backgrounder and pro-switcher, the response was slow, and the programs I wanted to use were just as likely to work as to quit due to the memory limitations. It was a decent, but not really great solution for the 3G.
  • Reply 78 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I've decided to reinstall and will have to jailbreak to get my unlock but I will forgo the multitasking and wallpapers this time. I just couldn't stand the stuttering and slow performance for now. Strangely enough I now have a stuck pixel but I know that is just coincidental.

Very odd, same thing happened to me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

I suppose the backgrounder app in Cydia is doing this too to help Apple push phones too, because under the right apps it struggles also.

Sometimes it's just as simple as the device hardware limits are true. Even setting a limit on apps isn't good enough. Obviously the resources between "Calculator" and "TomTom" are going to be dramatically different and joe phone users isn't going to understand what and why the situation changes as to why apps close and other times don't. From a marketing point its probably safer to not enable it than trying to deal with the variations and questions that are bound to happen on the 3G.
  • Reply 79 of 91
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Balsak View Post

Yes benchmarks have show iOS 4 slows down the 3GS, but remember that the 3G will not get multitasking. You will probably get a slight performance drop, but I doubt Apple would even release it if it was anything notable.

My 3Gs in general feels as fast but there were a few occasions where phone would stutter visibly in scrolling/keyboard responsiveness/etc. I'm wondering if that is because RAM get filled up with apps and phone needs time to delete some before opening new one.

I'm a bit disappointed Apple didn't make multitasking switch - basically let people choose to use fast apps switching or use phone the old way. Personally I don't have much use for multitasking/fast switching and was never really rooting for multitasking on mobiles. iPod plays in background (only background app I am using) and Stanza did remember it's state on exit before. In fact, Stanza now opens a bit slower than before, without "multitasking". Regarding other apps, if I can't run them windowed on the screen at the same time (which would require bigger screen anyway), I really don't need it however smart and well done it is.

If it turns to be slowing my phone often and does make impact on battery life, I'd really prefer not to have it - even if that requires return to 3.2

Of other things, I have birthday date bug which is very annoying, and contacts are a bit corrupted - for some contacts more than one address is visible in sort of half-hidden way, behind valid address, and can't be deleted. That might be something with syncing with Outlook, but I definitely didn't have that before. Hopefully I will be able to clean-up in Outlook... \
  • Reply 80 of 91
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Could it be because spell check are two words and not one?

Could it be spell check might be more appropriate for Harry Potter fans and what we are really referring to is spelling check?

Overly pedantic? Perhaps but it's a pet peeve irregardless