Inside iOS 4: Missing features for iPhone 3G users

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    kelenkelen Posts: 1member
    Thank you for all the info, everyone! I was excited about the iOS 4 but now I see that what the iPhone 3G gets is really useless... mail folders, and a couple other things I've already forgotten? Nah.

After reading this thread I am definitely not upgrading to iOS 4... I am still on 3.1.2 with close to half of my memory left from my 16 GB iPhone 3G and I don't see any issues with it. Just like how I have about 30 app updates I've never installed - why bother if I have no need?

Considering the main features of 4 are either missing or possibly slow down the system is very unappealing and unlike a lot of people that say they are going to get the new iPhone as soon as possible, I am not. I am sick of mindless upgrades every few years - I have been for some time. I can live without folders on my iPhone and wallpapers and multi-tasking and whatever else. Sure, they'd be cool gadgety things, but whatever, I have a computer for those things. I don't need the newest iPhone out there.

Not only am I still on a 3 year contract (1,000 dollars to buy out? ...umm, no!) but I'd rather keep my 500 dollars that would go towards that iPhone 4 and use it for something I really need. A new iPhone is not it - my old one works just fine, thanks.
  • Reply 82 of 91
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Well because I have no iPhone 4, and because I like to fuss with items way too much, I've continued farting around with this and I have to say, something may be afoot.

First there was an update to Redsn0w because the initial jailbreak did not allow iBooks to finish downloading properly for whatever reason. It said to simply run it again and leave off installing Cydia. Well I decided to see if I could use that "opportunity" to also reinable and then disable multitasking and wallpapers. It works! So there is hope that a switch can be set up to allow multitasking when you need it, and turn it off or reboot when you don't.

Turns out since then there has been still ANOTHER update and we are now at beta 5 of Redsn0w. I have to tell you that I tried the multitasking last night with beta 4 and it was quite good, especially since several of my important apps had updated. It was right on the edge of usable and switching between native Apple apps was great and okay between things like Pandora and Runtracker. I put it down and went to bed and woke up and the phone was UNUSABLE. There must be a memory leak of some sort. I saw the beta 5, jailbroke with it and the phone is back to single tasking mode and is a smidge more responsive than yesterday.

So basically like was mentioned a page or two ago, I'm giving this a week of updates both on the JB side and the app side. We might get there with multitasking or maybe not. The phone is pretty decently responsive though.
  • Reply 83 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kelen View Post

Thank you for all the info, everyone! I was excited about the iOS 4 but now I see that what the iPhone 3G gets is really useless... mail folders, and a couple other things I've already forgotten? Nah.

After reading this thread I am definitely not upgrading to iOS 4... I am still on 3.1.2 with close to half of my memory left from my 16 GB iPhone 3G and I don't see any issues with it. Just like how I have about 30 app updates I've never installed - why bother if I have no need?

Considering the main features of 4 are either missing or possibly slow down the system is very unappealing and unlike a lot of people that say they are going to get the new iPhone as soon as possible, I am not. I am sick of mindless upgrades every few years - I have been for some time. I can live without folders on my iPhone and wallpapers and multi-tasking and whatever else. Sure, they'd be cool gadgety things, but whatever, I have a computer for those things. I don't need the newest iPhone out there.

Not only am I still on a 3 year contract (1,000 dollars to buy out? ...umm, no!) but I'd rather keep my 500 dollars that would go towards that iPhone 4 and use it for something I really need. A new iPhone is not it - my old one works just fine, thanks.

Mail folders and especially App Folders are definitely not useless.
  • Reply 84 of 91
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kelen View Post

I upgraded my old 3G first and it functions just fine. If anything, it's faster. Especially my pet peeve of the podcast directory. In previous versions of the iOS it would jerk around while scrolling through the list of podcasts - it no longer does that.

The folders on the home screen are more than worth any other rough edges at the moment - don't underestimate their usefulness! Easily my favorite feature.
  • Reply 85 of 91
    nicv_84nicv_84 Posts: 5member
    great software upgrade, it is always something from Apple!
  • Reply 86 of 91
    I've caved and I'm going to back to 3.1.3. This sluggishness is just driving me nuts and in addition, the app I use to get around the messaging problem as I term it (no multitasking plus around 5-6 secs to load messaging app for each sms = teh suk) is not updated for 4.0. If Apple pops up an update, I'll be happy to try it but for now, I'm downgrading.

I appreciate the guide posted in the thread but for me, this one was easier to follow.
  • Reply 87 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I've caved and I'm going to back to 3.1.3. This sluggishness is just driving me nuts and in addition, the app I use to get around the messaging problem as I term it (no multitasking plus around 5-6 secs to load messaging app for each sms = teh suk) is not updated for 4.0. If Apple pops up an update, I'll be happy to try it but for now, I'm downgrading.

I appreciate the guide posted in the thread but for me, this one was easier to follow.

Are you still running jailbroken? If so, I guess you should clarify that 4.0 is not worth upgrading on a jail-broken iPhone 3G. I think most people see no slowdown at all on a stock 3G. Jailbreaking slows down your phone. Full stop.

Anyway, I'm happier than ever that I decided to go for the 32GB Touch and not the 16GB one which was still the 2G model. I love iOS 4 and I can't believe I ever lived without it!
  • Reply 88 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Are you still running jailbroken? If so, I guess you should clarify that 4.0 is not worth upgrading on a jail-broken iPhone 3G. I think most people see no slowdown at all on a stock 3G. Jailbreaking slows down your phone. Full stop.

Anyway, I'm happier than ever that I decided to go for the 32GB Touch and not the 16GB one which was still the 2G model. I love iOS 4 and I can't believe I ever lived without it!

I think I've made it clear in prior posts that I run both jailbroken and unlocked. There are a few dozen threads about this over at Apple.com so it isn't an isolated thing.

My wife has the 32 GB touch and I've installed iOS4 on it and it is doing wonderfully.

However since I am clarifying, I should note that even under 3.1.3 or as would be the case under 4.0 without multitasking, taking 3-5 second to open the messaging app and quitting whatever it is I am doing in the foreground just to answer text is not acceptable.

Apple has had a couple years now to get messaging and notifications related to them right and they haven't done so yet. One more button on the notification that simply reads reply and pulls up 5k worth of code to activate various system frameworks like the keyboard, etc. to allow you to reply isn't hard to do. I text around 1200 times a month. Those seconds add up.
  • Reply 89 of 91
    Hallo! I have a 3G, I installed IOS 4 thru PwnageTool 4.01, with multitasking and wallpapers enabled. It was rediculously slow at first, but I had done at least two full reboots (through other apps I was installing) and after the second one it started running great! There's still not alot of RAM, so multitasking is, in practice limited to just a couple or few apps due to this. However task switching amongst these does work well, and I still find it useful. Overall maybe it's more of a draw, since I do find myself killing tasks from there when not switching, whereas before you could just go to the home screen to kill it, but that's normal.

Main point is, the apps that ran unbearably slow before (even built-in ones like Messages) run now at either a hare slower or faster than normal, depending. Just try rebooting more than the once!

Ppl who still have JB ios 4.0 on an iphone 3G, post with your success or failure after the reboots, I'm curious if my fixed performance is a fluke or not
  • Reply 90 of 91
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Rebooting and Resetting your iPhone 3G with iOS4 DOES NOT WORK!

Despite the claims on here and Apple's support forum, the above is only a very temporary fix that will disappear after using your re-booted or re-stored phone for about an hour. People claiming that this will "fix" iOS4 on your 3G phone are full of crap.

This message brought to you by someone who has tried all of these "remedies" on 2 different 3G iPhones with no change in the slow, sluggish and crash-inducing performance of iOS4.
  • Reply 91 of 91
    Your statement can only be true if it's the same for all users (i.e. if the fix worked for NO ONE except me), and I don't think that's been determined.

I did say post your successes and failures, meaning I wasn't saying it's a guarantee... I and others only offered it as a possibility.

There are other possible reason your (and others') 3G phones might be unbearably slow on iOS 4, you'd have to take many things into consideration to narrow things down.

Did you do a restore from an iTunes backup or did you register as new phone?

Is your phone jailbroken or stock? If jailbroken...

What jailbroken apps have you installed?

Many use more RAM than others, while

others aren't actually compatible with iOS 4 yet. This mostly has to do with the crashes, especially crashes to Safe Mode.

Are you using the new 'folder' support? That seems to slow things down a little.

As to the "Jailbreaking slows down the phone... full stop" I disagree, it really depends on what you have installed. For instance, Winterboard seems to take up a wad of RAM, so I suspect for people who install that and try to work with themes, and experience buggy behavior, that's probably the main culprit on the 3G.

Lastly... has anyone here tried the JailbreakMe method? If so, post experiences on that too.