Some iPhone 4 launch units lose signal when held with left hand

Comments

• Reply 321 of 445
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It doesn't help matters when you hold the phone in a weird way, it makes the nay sayers say nobody holds a phone like that. You could have gently cradled it like you usually do while using the device and you'd still get the issue.

Exactly. A lot of people are going to be amazed that when they think they have a perfectly good signal all they have to do is reach over and pick their phones up and in just one or two seconds sometimes their phones will say no service. Unless, and it's looking likely for many until, you have it happen repeatedly you almost can't believe it. I actually wondered at first whether it could be the gyroscope
  • Reply 322 of 445
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gchriste View Post

I am calling fake on the email. Maybe I am wrong, and a sad day it would be if that was the response, but on the assumption I am not wrong, people need to get a grip on reality. If it is a manufacturing process, it will get resolved.

For the people saying apple field tested them in cases so never realised this is a problem, get real. They would have tested them in apple, outside apple, at home, in the air, everywhere they could. It is totally absurd and unrealistic to insinuate an industrial design/manufacture company would not test a product unless it had a case on. Come on people.

Ireland you really need to take some pills to calm down and just wait til things get resolved. You appear to be having a major stress attack over this, and it can't be good for your health!

The email is not fake. Go check the front page article on the NYT in which they spoke directly to an Apple rep. You can also go to loopinsight.com where Jim Dalrymple speaks to Apple PR.

In this circumstance I am angry at Apple's arrogance. They have a fundamental design flaw and have tried to pass it off as the end users' fault. It's offensive. I'm glad that I waited to get a new iPhone. It should be quite amusing to see the class action lawsuits come.
  • Reply 323 of 445
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Dude, the guy almost died. Of pancreatic cancer - close to zero survivability rate. And it's cancer, not the flu. It's a long, difficult process, and the chance of recurrence is always present. It would be surprising if he were not medicated almost daily even now.

He says he's all better, but when he first left he said it was nothing serious. Steve says a lot of things, and considers his health a very private matter.

I have no doubt the near-death experience and ongoing fears are driving a lot of the more erratic behaviors that are making new enemies across multiple industries every week...

You know, you are seriously lacking in any moral sense. One would expect even trolls to know there are lines of decency that ought not be crossed. Only a sociopath would use SJ's battle with cancer as an opportunity to score troll points.
  • Reply 324 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shapesNforms View Post

Ok, after waiting in line at my Apple store for almost four hours, I have my new 4G iPhone...and sure enough, I can reproduce the same issue mentioned. Holding the phone as has been described, I drop bars. Then it moves from 3G down to EDGE and then "Searching". Started a call without holding the phone (4bars), then picked it up in my left hand and within about 20-30 seconds, lost all bars and the call was dropped...this is on the standard 3G network...

Now here is something interesting...I also have an AT&T microcell. Once I got home, my phone connected to it with no problems. Picking up the phone in my left hand, I get no loss in bars or any dropped calls. Tried four different calls and no issues whatsoever.

I need to do some more testing but can someone else who also uses the AT&T microcell confirm the same thing? On 3G, you loose bars and then eventually the signal, on the microcell, no issues at all...

Ok...after having some more time to test, it appears it doesn't matter if it's on 3G or Microcell...holding the phone in your left hand as described, it will eventually loose signal, and in my case, it will drop the call almost every time...
  • Reply 325 of 445
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:

I am calling fake on the email. Maybe I am wrong, and a sad day it would be if that was the response, but on the assumption I am not wrong, people need to get a grip on reality. If it is a manufacturing process, it will get resolved.

For the people saying apple field tested them in cases so never realised this is a problem, get real. They would have tested them in apple, outside apple, at home, in the air, everywhere they could. It is totally absurd and unrealistic to insinuate an industrial design/manufacture company would not test a product unless it had a case on. Come on people.

Ireland you really need to take some pills to calm down and just wait til things get resolved. You appear to be having a major stress attack over this, and it can't be good for your health!

You are right this is a conspiracy by google, microsoft, macrumors, the new York time, endgader, several financial websites, just to name a few all designed to upset apple and Steve Jobs. SJ would never ever ever mislead his customers. I mean, all those stories about the iMacs and Mac pros have issues were also part of the conspiracy by android fanbois to make apple look bad.
  • Reply 326 of 445
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I know, and they are trying to tell us to hold the fucking things differently. Today I'm ashamed to be an iPhone owner and Mac user. Steve needs to wake up if he thinks he can tell people they are holding their phones wrong. It's like emailing him and saying: "every time I press the return key the computer loses Wifi." And his response is to not press the return key.

I'm disgusted.

Is someone at Apple about to announce they just sold or made 10 million phones... and they don't really work? Holy crud!
  • Reply 327 of 445
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Another hilarious point is that the bumper case won't even fit with Apple's dock and I'm assuming other 3rd party docks which means you're in a constant state of taking it on and off.
  • Reply 328 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Another hilarious point is that the bumper case won't even fit with Apple's dock and I'm assuming other 3rd party docks which means you're in a constant state of taking it on and off.

This whole thing sounds like a joke started by Steve Ballmer... it's absolutely incredible. The horror... the horror!
  • Reply 329 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

If this turns out to actually be the problem, they need to modify the design immediately to fix it. (Seems unlikely it could be fixed in software, but, if so, all the better.)

At first I was getting concerned about this issue, but after reading many posts about it, I came across one which makes me believe this is, in fact, a fixable software issue.

You see, since the OS can selectively turn off the different antennas, it just needs to know to turn off the section of the antenna and the frequencies that are currently not in use. For example, if a person is making a 3G call, then the OS could automatically turn off wi-fi until the call is completed, etc.
  • Reply 330 of 445
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

What;s very sad indeed, is you are wrong. Well it seems likely you are. Given what Engadget said.
  • Reply 331 of 445

The whole world smiles with you?
  • Reply 332 of 445
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Sounds like some poo-pooing of (perhaps) poor engineering...

I'm sitting with my iPhone next to me with 2-3 bars and in two to three seconds of picking up the phone I get Network Lost popping up and then "no network" were Vodafone was. Put it back down and gets service again. I guess I was looking for any answers that might provide solutions or a reason for SJ's BS attitude or legal tactic. I've got a lot of respect for him but I'm really struggling to see how he can brush this off so lightly, it's a 500 pound sterling, which is $750 phone from a company that I highly regard or should I say "have done".
  • Reply 333 of 445
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eastmanweb View Post

At first I was getting concerned about this issue, but after reading many posts about it, I came across one which makes me believe this is, in fact, a fixable software issue.

You see, since the OS can selectively turn off the different antennas, it just needs to know to turn off the section of the antenna and the frequencies that are currently not in use. For example, if a person is making a 3G call, then the OS could automatically turn off wi-fi until the call is completed, etc.

That's not really a viable solution. It's quite probable that you might want to access the wifi network in the middle of a voice call.
  • Reply 334 of 445
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, I'm right handed, and I hold the phone in my left hand when I make a call, preferring to have my right hand free to do things with. So it's a problem for more than just lefties, or maybe it's less of a problem for lefties if my way is not unusual. I'm guessing this didn't show up in field tests because they had them in those special cases to make it look like a 3GS. If this turns out to actually be the problem, they need to modify the design immediately to fix it. (Seems unlikely it could be fixed in software, but, if so, all the better.) For those who already own an iPhone 4, they should offer free Bumper cases to mitigate the problem.

I think you are right on all points here. Even if they field tested without the case on (as they might have once it was leaked so completely) their results may not have shown the severity of the issue. Just as with people with units now, many cannot reproduce it, some drop some bars but call stays fine and some drop calls. Given the variables, like having to hold it as though they are making a call and testing signal strength at the same time instead of perhaps testing signal strength while it is simply being held in the palm, having to touch just the right spot, the strength of the local signal being a factor, etc, it is quite likely it never came up as a issue or if it did it may have only shown up as a loss of bars with minimal effect on actual quality.

If the outcry is loud enough or if they simply deem it to be an severe enough issue, I am sure they will correct for it. This might simply be free bumpers for all. I don't think it can be corrected in software, as it seems to stem from bridging the gap between two physical antennas. I don't see how they could logically prevent a physical connection between the two.
  • Reply 335 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eastmanweb View Post

That's not what Apple's official spokespeople, and Steve Jobs, says. Need I say more?
  • Reply 336 of 445
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Well, its clear that ATT network isn't as bad as we all think it is. The iPhone shares some blame in the poor reception and dropped calls!
  • Reply 337 of 445
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Is someone at Apple about to announce they just sold or made 10 million phones... and they don't really work? Holy crud!

You have to remember though that SJ said this is a non-issue, and that there is no problem with the phone be ause you are holding wrong. If you were to hold it in the normal, SJ approved and Apple sanctioned manner then the phone works fine. End of story and nothing more to report.
  • Reply 338 of 445
    Sadly, if this cannot be corrected with a software update (and defying physics doesn't sound like a software addressable issue) I think Apple will basically have to give away free bumpers to everyone asking for one or risk a massive, very expensive class-action lawsuit. AAMOF, it's my opinion that one has already been drawn up and we'll be hearing about it tomorrow.
  • Reply 339 of 445
    I am in a state of shock right now over Apple's flippant response to this huge problem. My iPhone will go down to 1 bar even when trying to hold it "Steve's way". Just when cradling the phone and only touching the two sides around the upper or midway down part of the phone, I loose most of my signal bars. I have had dropped calls to everyone I have talked to with it. I have not had a single successful phone call with it so far. Absolutely ridiculous!
  • Reply 340 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

If the outcry is load enough or if they simply deem it to be an severe enough issue, I am sure they will correct for it. This might simply be free bumpers for all. I don't think it can be corrected in software, as it seems to stem from bridging the gap between two physical antennas. I don't see how they could logically prevent a physical connection between the two.

The problem with 'bumpers for all' is I won't be getting one or recommending it. In fact I'd recommend highly against it. Steve Jobs is trying to give his users a big fuck you, and you can either sit and take it or demand better. This is unacceptable.