Some iPhone 4 launch units lose signal when held with left hand

Comments

• Reply 341 of 445
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    This all seems like an horrific oversight to me.

They should never have had seams for the sake of seams in the first place. If they engineered the headphone jack and the 30 pin connector to become "natural seams" necessary to isolate both antennae that would not interrupt the clean lines of the design and would not introduce the same kind of interference regardless of holding the phone left or right handed.

But why are there three seams if there are only two sections of antennae?

My prediction: Bumpers this year means Apple is doing research for when iPhone 5 goes nanochromatic.
  • Reply 342 of 445
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eastmanweb View Post

At first I was getting concerned about this issue, but after reading many posts about it, I came across one which makes me believe this is, in fact, a fixable software issue.

You see, since the OS can selectively turn off the different antennas, it just needs to know to turn off the section of the antenna and the frequencies that are currently not in use. For example, if a person is making a 3G call, then the OS could automatically turn off wi-fi until the call is completed, etc.

That would be great. It doesn't matter whether I've got wifi or bluetooth turned on or off it happens the same anyway. I'm sure there's more to it than that though, so maybe you're right and it can be fixed through a software update enough so that any signal loss is a tiny fraction of what it currently is. I really hope so. That would make SJ's comment fair enough and I hope that happens, but if it doesn't and he knows it wouldn't, then it's unacceptable to me and I would think many others too. I'm skeptical at this stage in part because of the cased (disguised) iPhone affair and the fact it's so unbelievably sensitive.
  • Reply 343 of 445
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

You have to remember though that SJ said this is a non-issue, and that there is no problem with the phone be ause you are holding wrong. If you were to hold it in the normal, SJ approved and Apple sanctioned manner then the phone works fine. End of story and nothing more to report.

Clearly you've missed Apple holding it in those FaceTime commercials. And every iPhone ad ever made. People are holding the phone in a normal way, it's the phone that's weird.
  • Reply 344 of 445
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I put this in another thread.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=110840

Apple gave Engadget an email. Buy a case or change your grip! WTF??? Apple will surely pay for this one in the media.
  • Reply 345 of 445
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sadly, if this cannot be corrected with a software update (and defying physics doesn't sound like a software addressable issue) I think Apple will basically have to give away free bumpers to everyone asking for one or risk a massive, very expensive class-action lawsuit. AAMOF, it's my opinion that one has already been drawn up and we'll be hearing about it tomorrow.

I don't think free bumpers are going to cut and I agree that there lawsuits already being prepared.

I can't blame angry customers either. Not everyone pays attention to tech news and there are many who will be in a situation where they are tied contractually to a carrier with a phone that doesn't work as well for them as was advertised.

Sidenote: Apparently an Invisible Shield can't stop the signal drop.
  • Reply 346 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The whole world smiles with you?

Ireland, your montage of pics showing the iPhone 4 in use as advertised about sums it up: the actual product cannot be used as advertised. I am just stunned by this situation.
  • Reply 347 of 445
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Row 2 column 2 has the right hand corner circled. FYI
  • Reply 348 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

But why are there three seams if there are only two sections of antennae?

The seam on the right is there cosmetic reasons.
  • Reply 349 of 445
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:

Clearly you've missed Apple holding it in those FaceTime commercials. And every iPhone ad ever made. People are holding the phone in a normal way, it's the phone that's weird.

No. You are looking at this in the wrong way. You need to keep the simple truth in mind

Steve Jobs is, by definition, ALWAYS right. No matter what

If you accept this, as so many on this board have, all of your troubles magically disappear, and you see universal peace and love everywhere (except for those nasty evil google and Microsoft people of course).
  • Reply 350 of 445
  • Reply 351 of 445
    russellrussell Posts: 296member
    A new record for the iPhone 4....the shortest length of ownership.
  • Reply 352 of 445
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Wow man, that is gold!!!
  • Reply 353 of 445
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

The problem with 'bumpers for all' is I won't be getting one or recommending it. In fact I'd recommend highly against it. Steve Jobs is trying to give his users a big fuck you, and you can either sit and take it or demand better. This is unacceptable.

The bumper essentially places the antenna inside an enclosure, which seems to be how they would have to physically change the design anyway...put them back inside.

They problem I have, besides the seemingly flip response from Apple, is that is seems possible that they knew this would be an issue. When one looks at the reason for Apple, for the first time ever, to sell a first party case (the bumper) they obviously knew there are issues that required the case. Either the glass edges being exposed and so more prone to sudden impact or the antenna issue or both. If they knew, then great, they provided the bumper...but knowing they would be essentially required for normal operation, they price them as a premium product for a cash grab. Seriously, $30 for what must cost $1 to manufacture? If it wasn't necessary to use the phone, then the price is justified as it is just a glamour item or for those that put cases on everything. But if they knew it was needed, then that is a horrible move, to price it as a extravagance.
  • Reply 354 of 445
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    So forgetting the diminished bars, how does iphone 4 do as far as making calls, clarity, sending and receiving texts and emails on the 3 g network? There must be a lot of people switching from the 3gs unit. I have barely heard mention of how the new phone compares in any of these aspects. Is the new phone better or worse?
  • Reply 355 of 445
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    You know, my phone has a real hard time in replicating the problem so perhaps not all phones are equally susceptible.

I will say that reading on the iPhone is now a dream. The display is fantastic.
  • Reply 356 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog View Post

So forgetting the diminished bars, how does iphone 4 do as far as making calls, clarity, sending and receiving texts and emails on the 3 g network? There must be a lot of people switching from the 3gs unit. I have barely heard mention of how the new phone compares in any of these aspects. Is the new phone better or worse?

Worse, if you hold it wrong. lol
  • Reply 357 of 445
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog View Post

It beats my 3G...but that's to be expected. I would think the 3GS much closer...
  • Reply 358 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

They problem I have, besides the seemingly flip response from Apple, is that is seems possible that they knew this would be an issue. When one looks at the reason for Apple, for the first time ever, to sell a first party case (the bumper) they obviously knew there are issues that required the case.

If lawyers can prove, which shouldn't be too hard, that Apple knew about the flaw then Apple has already lost a potentially billion dollar case.
  • Reply 359 of 445
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

Of course the signal it's going to drop if you touch the border, It's an antenna, and every antenna in every device that uses one does act like that when you touch it. Every cellular device says "do not touch the antenna".

This thing isn't an issue at all. It's a normal behavior. It is solved with any non-conductive case, like almost any iPhone case. Like the Apple Bumber.

Damn. A guy with a sense.
  • Reply 360 of 445
    Quote:

The problem with 'bumpers for all' is I won't be getting one or recommending it. In fact I'd recommend highly against it. Steve Jobs is trying to give his users a big fuck you, and you can either sit and take it or demand better. This is unacceptable.

I enjoy Apple products very much and will continue to be a loyal customer. But as such, I will not be satisfied until this situation is rectified properly, which will not involve rubber bumpers. Those of us that eagerly await the annual launch of each new generation of iPhone and buy them as soon as possible are the very ones that "should" be very well cared for by Apple. As early adopters, we share our experiences with others and the word continues to spread, whether it be good or bad. I feel like we are "the bread and butter customers" for Apple. We will buy newly released products, just because Apple created them. We should be the very customers that Apple wants to look after very carefully.

In this case and at this point, this looks to not be the way things will play out. Instead, a hardware update may come out later that fixes the problems for the customers who buy down the road. Those iPhones will work fine for them without requiring rubber bumpers or a case and can be held any way they so choose. Meanwhile, us early adopters will have our iPhones that won't work without a case. Can you imagine trying to sell it next year, when a potential customer asks you if your iPhone was pre antenna fix or post antenna fix and walking away when you tell them it is a pre antenna fix model. Not good.