Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01

Comments

• Reply 481 of 613
    eminenteminent Posts: 4member
    Apparently some people are too freaking STUPID to accept the fact that people like me are having the same issues with the 3GS.

Get over the "how you're holding the phone" stupidity, and no I don't care what Steve Jobs said with the limited information that he had at the time that he said it.

Same issue on 3GS after upgrading to iOS 4 = software issue.
  • Reply 482 of 613
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eminent View Post

Apparently some people are too freaking STUPID to accept the fact that people like me are having the same issues with the 3GS.

People are not too stupid. Signal attenuation is common. This is a different issue. The antenna is touching your hand and the phone completely freezes up in a lot of cases. This is a separate issue. Or perhaps you're too stupid and don't already know this?

It's not the same issue.
  • Reply 483 of 613
    eminenteminent Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

People are not too stupid. Signal attenuation is common. This is a different issue. The antenna is touching your hand and the phone completely freezes up in a lot of cases. This is a separate issue. Or perhaps you're too stupid and don't already know this?

It's not the same issue.

People are too stupid.

My 3GS also freezes more now than it did before. And the bars drop to 1 or it switches to Edge in places it was always 3G.
  • Reply 484 of 613
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Well I tells ya, Apple had better get that update out by Monday for real. And it had better be a flawless solution.
  • Reply 485 of 613
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    how many here use their iphones naked, no case???

exactly, get a case

i worry more about dropping it then the signal issues

get a case

now if some cases do more to protect from this well let us here it.

mine is two tone silicone that wraps around the top and bottom of the front about a 1/2 inch, love it

and it is rubbery enough that it gives me a good grip and is colorful

get a case
  • Reply 486 of 613
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

I had your Mum, she wasn't that good.

Funny, that's exactly what she said about you!

Err, about 30 seconds after she performed a Lorena Bobbitt on ya for being so annoying lately.
  • Reply 487 of 613
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:

Yet another seasoned member of the forums keeping it real. What's with these newly registered users who are bat-shit crazy? And who hate anyone pointing out anything bad about this new iPhone.

They just paid several hundred dollars for the allegedly best smartphone on the market. It's bound to happen that some customers given the choice between having to admit to themselves that their enthusiasm might have been not fully warranted or going into full denial mode and lashing out verbally at anybody who threatens ones own conviction will chose the later. This phenomenon is hardly limited to cell phones.

More worrisome though is, that there are actually people who take Daniel Eran Dilger/Prince McLean seriously and not for the (paid or unpaid) propganda writer that he is.
  • Reply 488 of 613
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Here's an update. I was able to somewhat resolve my issues by purchasing a Griffin case from Best Buy (looks a little like the Apple Bumper case, except that it has a clear piece that covers the back).

My download speeds still take a bit of a hit, and the upload speeds take a MAJOR hit, but it's not nearly as bad as using it naked with the death grip. This will have to do until Apple fixes this problem.

My new results with the case using the Death Grip: ...

So, instead of just holding it slightly differently, you'd rather put a case on it and cut your upload speed in half and take a big chunk out of your download speed as well?

That's crazy IMO.
  • Reply 489 of 613
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I guess you didn't really read his blog post, because he does see an issue with the design, even if he did choose to buy an iPhone 4.

I think you read the article wrong. I just read the whole thing and I don't see where he says there is an issue with the design of the iPhone 4 antenna. He more or less describes the same issue with all cellphones which is pretty much what Apple is saying.
  • Reply 490 of 613
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

<snip>mine is two tone silicone that wraps around the top and bottom of the front about a 1/2 inch, love it and it is rubbery enough that it gives me a good grip and is colorful <snip>

Would you mind mentioning just which one it is?

Thanks
  • Reply 491 of 613
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

So, instead of just holding it slightly differently, you'd rather put a case on it and cut your upload speed in half and take a big chunk out of your download speed as well?

That's crazy IMO.

I bought the case to see if it would solve the problem -- it doesn't solve it completely, but it doesn't give me dropped calls or seriously hamper my internet speeds (uploads with the case on are more in line with my 3GS) when holding it comfortably.

Besides, I paid $2 for it after using a $10 Reward Zone coupon and some leftovers from a Best Buy gift card that I had, so it's not like it was a huge investment.

I'd much rather Apple fix the problem than use a case, but this will work FOR NOW until Apple fixes this issue.

As for me holding it a different way, I simply can't train myself to hold the phone differently than I've held every other smartphone I've had for the past 2-3 years.
  • Reply 492 of 613
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I think you read the article wrong. I just read the whole thing and I don't see where he says there is an issue with the design of the iPhone 4 antenna. He more or less describes the same issue with all cellphones which is pretty much what Apple is saying.

And I'm holding the iPhone wrong, too. You missed the part where he says he expects the iPhone 4 antenna to be "worse" (his exact description) in the context of signal attenuation by the body; and you should note he doesn't even touch on the death grip issue, presumably because it wasn't well publicized by the time he wrote his post. Why is anybody using Webb's post to support the notion that nothing is wrong with the iPhone 4 antenna?
  • Reply 493 of 613
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Actually, the phone takes into account signal quality and interference with an averaging algorithm when it comes to displaying the signal strength as bars.

If you have a consistent 5 bar reception, the phone is telling you that you have better reception than 4 or 3 or 2 or 1 or no bars. ON AVERAGE.

There are variations, of course, and the larger variations in signal strength and quality you have, the lower bars you will have.

For example, if you are in an area with high noise to signal ratio, there are times when you will have good signal strength and quality and other times when it is bad signal quality. However the phone averages this out and displays 3 bars. Or 2 bars.

Actually, no it doesn't:

http://www.switched.com/2008/01/15/w...y-really-mean/
  • Reply 494 of 613
    thespazthespaz Posts: 71member
    I believe it's simply a baseband issue. Perhaps with the new antenna design, they changed the baseband and it got screwed up somehow.

What if Apple releases a software fix (4.0.1) tomorrow and it completely solves the problem? What happens to all the people screaming that it was definitely a hardware problem and impossible to fix with software. You do know that software controls the hardware right?

Do any of us know how Apple made the iPhone and especially how they coded it? I didn't think so.

So since everyone has theories... they don't really know exactly what the "real" fix is.

I'm sure we'll find out next week.
  • Reply 495 of 613
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Funny, that's exactly what she said about you!

Err, about 30 seconds after she performed a Lorena Bobbitt on ya for being so annoying.

Ok, enough with the abuse.
  • Reply 496 of 613
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    Just like Dr. Venkman's esp test in Ghostbusters.

• Reply 497 of 613
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    [QUOTE=Mister Snitch;1662830]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Loss of reception while dialing out?

Avoid using the phone for phone calls.

Dropped calls in San Francisco?

Avoid going to San Francisco.

Playhouse Disney (or other flash site) doesn't work in the browser?

Avoid going to that site.

Screen gets smudged?

Avoid touching the screen.

Hate getting ripped off for expensive junk?

Stop buying Apple products./QUOTE]

Yeah, Apple sells junk. That's what they sell. And their junk is so popular they're the biggest consumer products company on Earth,

:::YAWN::: Another day, another desperate, full-of-himself clown in love with his own empty voice.

That really says nothing.

People are still buying tobacco, junk food... even if everyone know what is it worth.
  • Reply 498 of 613
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thespaz View Post

I believe it's simply a baseband issue. Perhaps with the new antenna design, they changed the baseband and it got screwed up somehow.

What if Apple releases a software fix (4.0.1) tomorrow and it completely solves the problem? What happens to all the people screaming that it was definitely a hardware problem and impossible to fix with software. You do know that software controls the hardware right?

Do any of us know how Apple made the iPhone and especially how they coded it? I didn't think so.

So since everyone has theories... they don't really know exactly what the "real" fix is.

I'm sure we'll find out next week.

I can recall handful of Apple software updates expected to fix various iMac and other Apple products' problems that failed to do so... so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Luckily for me, I was not planning at all to get iPhone 4 - my 32GB 3Gs is still less than a year old, so version 4 was destined to be skipped anyway.

I do have another gripe with Apple, though - I've updated my 3Gs with iOS4 only to find out I don't care for improvements, but I do care for worst phone performance and worst battery life. Both are not critical but I'd prefer to revert back to previous iOS, however Apple is not letting that happen.
  • Reply 499 of 613
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And that is why yours and others diagnosis is irrational and fallacious. If it's a design flaw then it would be happening to all iPhone 4s. It's not, so it's something else.

That's not strictly true. You can have a design flaw that doesn't exhibit itself on all units or in all conditions.

I just find it amusing that folks believe that Apple engineers wouldn't have known about this without putting in some kind of mitigation. If so, there soon will be a new halloween legend in Cupertino about ghostly handless engineers cursed to endlessly circle Infinite Loop while trying to hold an iPhone with no hands...

Folks will wonder why the basketball court needed resurfacing when it was already in great shape and whatever happened to Bob and Larry on the iPhone antenna team...
  • Reply 500 of 613
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

And I'm holding the iPhone wrong, too. You missed the part where he says he expects the iPhone 4 antenna to be "worse" (his exact description) in the context of signal attenuation by the body; and you should note he doesn't even touch on the death grip issue, presumably because it wasn't well publicized by the time he wrote his post. Why is anybody using Webb's post to support the notion that nothing is wrong with the iPhone 4 antenna?

It's because they think the problem is specifically the position of the antenna being at the bottom of the phone and not because Apple moved the leads from the back to the frame. We really don't know the details on how Apple field tested this phone other than it one time went to a bar and got lost/stolen. It could be that the field testing had the fake 3gs cover on it which prevented the attenuation that we are seeing now. It could also be that AT&T with the promise of further iPhone exclusivity "tuned" the network to favor the test iPhones on the network and give them priority over other network devices.