Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01

Comments

• Reply 541 of 613
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

That first day back on the Twelve Step Program is a beyatch, ain't it?

I don't know, you tell me.
  • Reply 542 of 613
    Guys, this issue is not simply a blocking the antenna, it's touching the antenna. You know, the way normally phones don't have the antenna on the outside of the phone where you're hand naturally holds the phone.

These are two different issue. Steve was referring to attenuation of signal, but the real issue with the iPhone 4 is touching that area. Now, maybe it can be fixed with software, if it is then great. But so far, Apple never said that.

So far we've heard: It affects all phones. Non issue, if you are experiencing the problem just don't hold it in that way. Or, get one of the many available cases. And now, non issue, stay tuned.

Not once have we heard from Apple that a software fix is on the way. If it is then "GREAT". But we're waiting for Apple to chime in.
  • Reply 543 of 613
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Okay, show me on the doll where you touched his antenna.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Guys, this issue is not simply a blocking the antenna, it's a touching the antenna issue. You know, the way normally phones don't have the antenna on the outside of the phone where you're hand is.

These are two different issue. Steve was referring to attenuation of signal, but the real issue with the iPhone 4 is touching that area. Now, maybe it can be fixed with software, but as far as I'm concerned Apple never said that yet.

• Reply 544 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

I don't know what you're talking about.
  • Reply 545 of 613
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Welp, there clearly won't be a software update today. Maybe later this week.
  • Reply 546 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Welp, there clearly won't be a software update today. Maybe later this week.

Stay tuned. Whatever that implies.
  • Reply 547 of 613
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Nuts! I had that joke a few days ago but completely forgot to post it. Well done!
  • Reply 548 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nuts! I had that joke a few days ago but completely forgot to post it. Well done!

Great minds! I'm glad someone got the joke.
  • Reply 549 of 613
    Quote:

Great minds! I'm glad someone got the joke.

The end of that 'great minds' phrase comes to mind.
  • Reply 550 of 613
    Quote:

The end of that 'great minds' phrase comes to mind.

• Reply 551 of 613
    Quote:

Give and you shall receive - work it out.
  • Reply 552 of 613
    Quote:

Give and you shall receive - work it out.

Great minds ... think alike. I guess I'm missing something.
  • Reply 553 of 613
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Wonder if we'll be seeing a piece called "Death Grip hysteria may end Tuesday with iOS 4.01" by DED tonight?

• Reply 554 of 613
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Nicely done.
  • Reply 555 of 613
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Yeah... As I take it, decreasing signal strength sampling rate will save $29 on a bumper for unscientific yet lordly Apple customers. Will make everyone happy.

With Apple it's always about very efficient investment in R&D.
  • Reply 556 of 613
    I live in Oshkosh Wisconsin and I can reproduce this issue but I cannot in Milwaukee or even in some areas in Oshkosh itself
  • Reply 557 of 613
    thespazthespaz Posts: 71member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hasanahmad View Post

I live in Oshkosh Wisconsin and I can reproduce this issue but I cannot in Milwaukee or even in some areas in Oshkosh itself

Mine is location sensitive too. I guess the whole "shorting out the antenna" thing doesn't really sound right. If you were actually shorting out the antenna, then it wouldn't work anywhere.

I'm betting on a baseband update soon.
  • Reply 558 of 613
    bdblackbdblack Posts: 146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't see how a RF signal variation would result in one unit causing a "short circuit" and another not causing a short circuit. They'll all using the same antenna for UMTS. I get no variation, not even a signal drop of one bar from bridging the gap with metal, with fingers or with fingers covered in salty water.

This isn't a short circuit. The antenna doesn't work like an electrical circuit. It simply catches electromagnetic waves that are in the air. Despite what people are saying, I don't think that bridging the 2 antennas really has much to do with it, although it may make the problem worse somehow. Also, I am now seeing lots of evidence that all iPhone models are effected by this to some degree.

I can in some areas fully reproduce the death grip effect on my own 3GS, dropping from 5 to 0 bars just by removing the case and holding my phone like normal, but only in some rooms in my home. In other areas, holding the phone in bare hands only drops about one or two bars. Leaving the case on, I get 4/5 bars all the time.

I'm fairly sure now the issue is standing waves, which form between the iPhone's metal chassis the hand. Kinda like a stream with lots of rocks in it to disturb the flow.

I think this could actually account for some of the reception issues iPhone's have been having in general, although poor network performance would make up the bulk of it.

Rather than a flaw, I think you can call it a design characteristic. I'm sure Apple is aware of this and they use some software tricks to improve reception, however I think because Apple uses an uninsulated antenna there will always be quirks in the iPhones reception. The laws of physics don't change, and touching an uninsulated antenna will screw with reception.
  • Reply 559 of 613
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    For the better. Apple --- well, rather ubuntu --- customers are becoming more and more scientific.

Oh, putain!
  • Reply 560 of 613
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hasanahmad View Post

That makes a serviceable diction exercise.