iPhone 4 Review: 1 - Hardware Fit & Finish

Comments

• Reply 281 of 338
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shapesNforms View Post

This "review" seems like it's almost a rewritten Apple press release or a paid advertisement, than a review...Maybe if my iPhone 4 wouldn't drop calls every time I hold it "normally" in my left hand, I could deal with the fanboyism displayed in this article a little better...

AppleInsider has degenerated into nothing more than a site spewing pro Apple stories. Regardless of reality. Their hardware comparison with Android was largely fiction, yet fanbois didn't care, Daniel didn't care enough to fix his misstatements.

This site no longer has any useful news. Just made up pro Apple propaganda.

Move along, nothing to see here.
  • Reply 282 of 338
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Ireland, get a grip man. Just keep your 3Gs or buy a 3Gs and wait for 4s. Or buy the iPhone 4 and try it out for a week and return it if you don't like it. You clearly don't have any friends so making phone calls should not be a big deal for you.

Thanks for the advice. I'll pass it onto my friends.
  • Reply 283 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DerPlanck View Post

Tomorrow: iOS 4.01 Released, Fixes Reception Issue!

Tuesday: iPhone reception: does the patch really fix it? (400 replies from user/kind of a dick Ireland insisting the fix is a fake, though he has no phone nor applied any fix)

You're full of shit man, if there's a software fix Monday or Tuesday I'll be as pleased as the rest of us. We'll see.

I'll insist it's a fake? What the **** are you talking about? I've been a member here several years and am only negative when Apple mess up. Go back and look at my original iPhone review, it's overwhelmingly positive.

You seriously are clueless and because you're only new you don't see the whole picture. I know you think I'm like this when Apple comes out with something new, but I'm not. We have two iPads in the house and I love them. It looks like Apple messed something up, then the said there was no issue and to hold the phone another way or buy a case. None of the long time Mac users here thought that was acceptable, and a whole heap of people that registered in the last month or two, did. Get a clue dude, 'cause currently you have none.
  • Reply 284 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Ireland,

I know you've got a legitimate beef, and you've taken the bit in your teeth and are running with it. Power to you. I'm not fighting you.

Taking a breath for a moment...

The bumper is awesome. You should be using one even if the antenna issue weren't happening.

How Apple solves the antenna issue when there are so many potential solutions is anyone's guess. The bottom line is, though, that since they have so many avenues, they will definitely pick one and the problem will be solved.

I, too, am put off by Steve's statement that we are holding it wrong. That is a ridiculous statement to make while we await true resolution. The one thing I'm not sure of is whether he really made that statement. I've seen it attributed to him, usualy second or third hand. But I've never seen first hand attribution. Have you?

Thompson

That's a fair comment, but it's safe to say it's from Steve, 'cause it came from his e-mail address and both Endadget and Macrumors logged in to confirm, and Apple would have denied it by now.
  • Reply 285 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

It was the exact thing that you did with the Magic Mouse, which you also never owned, and felt wont to bash it in every thread any time anyone ever dared mention the device.

Actually, I did own the Magic Mouse, I have been very clear on this point. The beef I have with the magic mouse is having to explain right-click to even the seasoned computer user with regards to it. "No, you have to keep your index finger up and then right click, if you touch your index finger down even lightly it will register as a left-click.

And no, I'm not SpotOn. My complaints with the iPhone 4 and Magic Mouse are legit.
  • Reply 286 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobility View Post

Give it a rest brother. We got your point. However, I still have better reception with this phone than I did with my 3GS

Yes, we know, not every iPhone 4 has the issue. Some who said did don't however have said even though the bars never changed when they touched that area a simple speedtest confirmed they have the issue. We'll see how this all pans out.
  • Reply 287 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chillin View Post

1st Gen

iPhone1,1 - iPhone

iPhone1,2 - iPhone 3G

the first two iPhones are considered the same hardware generation due to the hardware being very similar (effectively the same, but for upgraded radio and gps chip)

2nd Gen

iPhone2,1 - iPhone 3GS

new processor, faster, totally new hw platform

3rd Gen

iPhone3,1 - iPhone 4

new processor, totally new hw platform

-----

iPhone 4 is the 4th iPhone, but it is only the third generation of iPhone

They're having a field day with you over on Macrumors.
  • Reply 288 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Ireland, you're comments are like a breath of fresh air around here, most times. I totally agree. The antenna issue is indeed alarming, and despite the fact that I can't even order my white iPhone 4 yet, I may hold off even longer due to this issue. I seriously doubt this is software related. This is part of the structural design of the phone. While it may be nice to own an asthetically pleasing gadget, it is ultimately moot if the gadget can't perform the function it is meant to do. In this case, place a call and keep a signal. I too find Steve's message... how shall I say it, unbecoming? It's clear that Apple and Steve knew of the issue, just look at that photo of Steve presenting Medvedev with an iPhone 4 (the photo was posted in another front page thread)... do you see the way he's holding it? Quite a bit awkward, and he's clearly avoiding holding it on the sides. I too have my money waiting, but I need asurance that the problem will be fixed, not that I have to hold it differently. C'mon Apple.

Thanks for your support. To be fair though, we'll give Apple the benefit of the doubt, perhaps it can be fixed with software. If it can, then great. Still doesn't explain Steve's comment though. If it can't be fixed with software, and it does indeed end up effect a lot of iPhones then this is going to be a big deal for Apple, one they need to tackle head on, rather than avoiding it.

WE'LL SEE?..
  • Reply 289 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by C21Inman View Post

I read in the users forum that turning the Airplane mode off and on would take care of the problem. I turned it off and on 3 or 4 times in a row and my bars and my reception have not diminished yet. Seemed to be the fix for me.

Are you trying to say all these people with the issue have Airplane mode on?
  • Reply 290 of 338
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The beef I have with the magic mouse is having to explain right-click to even the seasoned computer user with regards to it. "No, you have to keep your index finger up and then right click, if you touch your index finger down even lightly it will register as a left-click.

+1
  • Reply 291 of 338
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    BTW, in case y'all haven't heard it yet, (Ireland don't go bonkers just yet)...

THERE ARE NO RECEPTION ISSUES. Stay tuned. Also, there is no spoon.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/27/...ue-stay-tuned/
  • Reply 292 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

+1

Hey guys, stop changing the subject and trolling
  • Reply 293 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

BTW, in case y'all haven't heard it yet, (Ireland don't go bonkers just yet)...

THERE ARE NO RECEPTION ISSUES. Stay tuned. Also, there is no spoon.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/27/...ue-stay-tuned/

We'll have to wait a week to find out what this means, perhaps sooner.
  • Reply 294 of 338
    Quote:

I've been a member here several years and am only negative when Apple mess up.

Apple sold a gazillion Magic Mice. Virtually no one who bought one has been displeased. They did not "mess up" with the Magic Mouse. Not for investors, not for users. Yet you were definitely negative.
  • Reply 295 of 338
    Quote:

My complaints with the iPhone 4 and Magic Mouse are legit.

Your complaints about the Magic Mouse are not legit according to 99.999 percent of Magic Mouse users.

Legit, in your case, is relative.
  • Reply 296 of 338
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Apple sold a gazillion Magic Mice. Virtually no one who bought one has been displeased. They did not "mess up" with the Magic Mouse. Not for investors, not for users. Yet you were definitely negative.

They kind of did mess up with the Magic Mouse.

While it works well when new, it's almost impossible to clean the ball, so that after a while, it doesn't work. The first one we had took me almost an hour to clean with the proper solvent. After that one time, I gave up. The next two also lost the use of the ball, and were never cleaned, as it's just too much work, and doesn't last very long until it needs to be cleaned again. i've heard from a lot of people about this.

Sometimes Apple is too concerned with esthetics. If they put a ring around the ball so that it could be removed for cleaning, that would have solved the problem.

If it were a $10 mouse, it would have been one thing we might have been able to live with. But it wasn't.
  • Reply 297 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

They kind of did mess up with the Magic Mouse.

While it works well when new, it's almost impossible to clean the ball, so that after a while, it doesn't work. The first one we had took me almost an hour to clean with the proper solvent. After that one time, I gave up. The next two also lost the use of the ball, and were never cleaned, as it's just too much work, and doesn't last very long until it needs to be cleaned again. i've heard from a lot of people about this.

Sometimes Apple is too concerned with esthetics. If they put a ring around the ball so that it could be removed for cleaning, that would have solved the problem.

If it were a $10 mouse, it would have been one thing we might have been able to live with. But it wasn't.

LOL... fail. Of course it's impossible to clean the ball.
  • Reply 298 of 338
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    Hurry out and buy a case to cover up that beautiful luxurious 4G so you never see it again?

Blah!

Or put another way, "It's like a beautiful old Leica Camera. With a friggin' rubber bumper!"

No thanks. Good design deserves to be seen and handled. I sent my 3GS to ColorWare because I wanted a color choice but still wanted to see the phone, not a case. What's the point of something being thin, elegant and made of great materials, if you're just going to crate it up?
  • Reply 299 of 338
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

Hurry out and buy a case to cover up that beautiful luxurious 4G so you never see it again?

Blah!

Or put another way, "It's like a beautiful old Leica Camera. With a friggin' rubber bumper!"

No thanks. Good design deserves to be seen and handled. I sent my 3GS to ColorWare because I wanted a color choice but still wanted to see the phone, not a case. What's the point of something being thin, elegant and made of great materials, if you're just going to crate it up?

My daughter, wife and I bought skins for our 3G's, and will likely buy bumpers, or skins for our new 4's when we get them later this summer.

I'm not obsessive about the looks, but am concerned about the phone slipping out of my hand. I see lots of people dropping their phones and mp3 players with disastrous results.
  • Reply 300 of 338
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    Quote:

LOL... fail. Of course it's impossible to clean the ball.

Not the ball that needs cleaning, actually, but the rollers. It is possible to clean, if you're dextrous enough to crack the bezel off without destroying it, and willing to use adhesives. But yes, a piss-poor design. Great interface, but short-lived. Not everything Apple does is insanely great. But enough is.