iPhone 4 Review: 1 - Hardware Fit & Finish

Comments

• Reply 201 of 338
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DerPlanck View Post

I don't mean to butt in, but I'd like to say I wouldn't label you as a troll. But I have no problem describing you generally as a dick.

7 posts in, you're starting well.
  • Reply 202 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dtidmore View Post

Please, can we stop the personal barbs and stick to the subject.

The subject is the iPhone.
  • Reply 203 of 338
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

It seems to be SO new it's killed an interesting mix of my iPhone accessories that worked with my 3GS only three days ago. (I think they were broken by the hardware and not the new iOs--i upgraded to v 4 several days before the phone came out, but i only noticed the failures after getting the iP4)

Examples:

--My Kensington Nightstand doesn't charge my new phone.

--half a dozen short usb-to-iphone connector cables no longer work (connecting the new iP4 to my MBP via any of those cables does NOT trigger the opening of iPhoto to import photos; it does NOT trigger the opening of iTunes; even if I open iTunes manually the new iP4 does not show up as a device, using those cables--in other words, i can no longer sync using those cables).

It'd be interesting to know what changes were made in the iPhone connector, and why.

I'd like others to report here: Are any of your accessories still working? third-party chargers? docks? etc.

Contact those accessories producers and see the status on support for the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 204 of 338
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Well, the glass itself is very strong (30x stronger than plastic, used for cockpit canopies, etc) and can handle the acceleration/deceleration of impact. My only concern (without the bumper) is that the edges of the glass (or metal) at the point of impact might scratch or chip. The rubber bumper is sufficient to prevent that.

Apple was accurate but sneaky in their marketing, just like every other good company is.

The glass is NOT 30x stronger than plastic, but 30x harder. The former refers to breaking the latte refers to scratching.
  • Reply 205 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Something happened to poor Ireland about a year or so ago, and he quit coming around. The moniker is back; the sarcastic and witty person remains away. Ireland has been replaced by a mad man.

Ireland loves his iPad, his MacBook Air and his iMac. Ireland wanted an iPhone 4, but according to a poll on MacRumors over 50% of new iPhone 4's have a serious issue where you cannot hold the phone like you would normally. Call me a mad man all you want, but that's a serious, serious issue. Not buying one till I know more. Ireland is the same as he ever was, it's just that when Apple fucks up, which isn't too often, Ireland is not afraid to call them up on it.

Unfortunately though, when Ireland calls them he's labelled a troll and told he's changed.
  • Reply 206 of 338
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I had problems with FaceTime with the first two people I tried it with, but it turns out the problem wasn't with FaceTime but their routers. Since then it's been working great. Better than expected.

However, I don't see myself using this much more than iChat A/V. Once FaceTime over 3G gets going this could turn out to be pretty useful for showing people other stuff, but right now I'd say it's still a novelty.

well i for can show my gem stones to a client

or the new item i wanna buy to my wife

on and on

i never ever got my a/v chat to work <<sad face >>

yes its a novelty

but when 3 .5 million field workers can show real time a broken water main or what ever

this kind of stuff will reach critical mass soon enough

peace

dude

• Reply 207 of 338
    dtidmoredtidmore Posts: 145member
    While this forum is about all things Apple and the talk of the day is the new iPhone, the subject of this particular thread is fit and finish. There are plenty of threads on every aspect of the new iPhone already open and active. Keeping comments focused makes the experience for all a lot more sane and enjoyable.
  • Reply 208 of 338
    Quote:

The glass is NOT 30x stronger than plastic, but 30x harder. The former refers to breaking the latte refers to scratching.

It's a balancing act. If they made it stronger they'd have to make it a little softer, so chances are it would scratch more. So they made a choice and you can't blame them. Hopefully next time round they'll be even better.
  • Reply 209 of 338
    Quote:

I have taken my 4G out of its silicone case several times to just study and marvel at the precision of it's design and manufacturing. Products exhibiting the level of precision readily apparent to those that have actually handled the 4G typically are produced by craftsmen in low volume and at high cost (to build as well as retail) such as Rolex, Leica, Hasselblad, Bowers & Wilkins, etc.

I've been marveling at the craftsmanship of mine in that fashion since Thursday, even with it inside its Bumper. But after reading your post, I removed the Bumper (briefly) to once again gaze at the device itself. Gorgeous! The styling. The solid build. The weight. It is truly a beautiful device to behold, and hold! Okay, enough of that. Bumper: ON! Hey, look at that! It's still gorgeous!

Daniel's gushing write up in the first part of AppleInsider's iPhone 4 review may have betrayed journalistic integrity by ignoring objectivity, but I fully relate to the sentiment. Thankfully, I'm not a journalist tasked with writing a review.

Quote:

The fact that Apple and Foxconn have been able to hold the line at such a high level of fit and finish and at a reasonable price point, speaks volumes of the engineering and tooling that have been invested in the 4G production line.

Quote:

I'm intrigued by the milling process Apple has quickly added to their product line. It started with the MBA, then the MBP and now even the iPhone and Mac Mini are milled. That has historically been a very expensive process and not fit for mass produced CE. I would love to know how they have been able to optimize this to make it viable, and if anyone else can possibly join them or is this a limited option for companies like Apple with a economy of scale within a single model design.

I too am greatly impressed by this! I wasn't terribly impressed with the design of first iMacs, but Ive's flat panel iMac really caught my attention. Their current product efforts though, have really exceeded my expectations of what CE products should offer. I'm not a visionary like Steve Jobs or an ingenious designer like Jonathan Ive. I freely admit to being enamored with Apple's recent product line, most of all with the iPhone 4.

I've never in my life directly interacted with technology and digital information the way I do with my iPhone. I grew up playing the first video games and have enjoyed a front row seat to the rapid technological evolution we've all witnessed since the late 1970s. Even with that perspective, even knowing that the technology behind the iPhone line are refinements and new implementations of existing technologies, experiencing what the iPhone 4 does, and how it does it (and with such polish), still seems like magic to me!

If, a few years from now, Apple reveals that they've invented an actual time machine, it not only won't surprise me, but fully explain Steve Jobs' unprecedented success with Apple these past few years. If I could come back in time with the ability to shape the future, I'd probably try to do something exactly along the same lines as what Jobs has done with Apple.
  • Reply 210 of 338
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr_cazorp View Post

What if this were a Microsoft product? What if it were, say, the Xphone 360 - and it had the antennas wrapped around the outside, and when you held it in your hand like you might hold an iPod, or a deck of cards (you know, normally), the thing lost its signal?

I think that Mr Dilger would wear his fingers to the nubs writing a seventeen page article deriding the design and castigating Microsoft for their idiocy.

He'd praise Apple for designing products for humans, not test subjects, and say that a phone that hangs up simply by being held in the hand is something Apple would never do and so very typical of Microsoft's corporate focus-group tested sludge.

And what if a frustrated Xphone 360 owner emailed Steve Ballmer, and Ballmer replied, "Just don't hold it in that way?" I think Dan might have a stroke. His mind would erupt with such paroxysms of invective as to cause his brain to short-circuit before he could even log in to Roughlydrafted.

Doctors would never be able to revive him, let alone wipe the smile from his face.

But alas, this is an iPhone, not a Microsoft phone. And it was Jobs, not Ballmer who made the "did he just say that?" statement of the year. And because it's Apple - and Apple is infallible - then by definition there is no problem with this device - none worth mentioning anyway.

Any issues we see must be our fault. Our fault for not being pure. Our fault for not having the appropriate reverence for this magical device.

Our fault for being conductive.

I'm what i guess would be called a fanboy, and i like the phone and think the signal-block problem is overblown. Still, yours is a great post and i can find no fault with the sentiments.
  • Reply 211 of 338
    Jesus Christ, Dan -- wipe the SteveJuice off your chin when you've finished fellating that Apple lovestick, won't you?

Congratulations, Appleinsider -- your association with Dilger has finally got you deleted from my bookmarks. Content-free PR regurgitation.

Thank you, and good night.

Jim
  • Reply 212 of 338
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You've officially lost your mind.

You've had a number of posts in this thread that just don't make sense to me.

============

On an entirely different note:

THANKS TO THE FORUM: Several of you suggested my problems with cables and Kensington chargers not working with the iP4 might be because of the bumper.

I'm slapping myself in the forehead: You're right. Apple's cables and devices are thin enough to fit through the bumper slots (another fit-and-finish achievement!) ; the kensington and the (otherwise extremely handy) 3rd party short cables aren't. So I either have to strip the bumper every time i want to use one of those devices, or ditch them. I'm gonna hang on to them, see how they work with a better case i get down the road. It's great having the forum community to suggest to me the obvious.

=============

And this: as a retired journalist i have to agree with those critical of the review at the top of this thread. The adulation is over the top..
  • Reply 213 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The fit and finish and the appearance of every detail of the phone, from its headphone jack to its camera port, and from its volume buttons to its hold switch, is simply luxurious and precise in a way I have rarely seen in a consumer device. Of course, the iPhone 4 is also roughly $700, before your carrier's subsidy kicks in and brings the entry price to around $300. If you think about the device as a $700 bit of equipment, it will impact how you handle it, who you allow to use it, and where you choose to pull it out.

Do you consider this desirable? I don't. A phone is meant to be used, not coveted. Are you going to pass down your iPhone 4 to your kids? If not, why should you conceal it from other human beings and the normal demands of human life?
  • Reply 214 of 338
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Daniel is an Apple fan, and certainly gives Apple the benefit of the doubt.

However, all those keep whining about the fact that this review is "fanboyism", are unable to single out a single piece of legitimate criticism with this article.

The reason is because this article is spot on. Which just shows how fantastically well made the iPhone really is. I saw it in the Apple Store, and was completely blown away by how magnificent it feels/looks.

The 3GS looks as uninspired as the Moto Razr did when the iPhone was released.
  • Reply 215 of 338
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Regarding the actual article, I may just get a bumper after all. I've been seeing a lot of cracked iPhone 4s on the web and a few have been from a 2 foot drop. Oddly enough all of these cracks have been on the back casing. I wonder what the differences are between the front and rear.

The front glass is glued to the display and therefore has more support. The back side isn't. If they are the same material, that would be my guess.
  • Reply 216 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

I've been marveling at the craftsmanship of mine in that fashion since Thursday, even with it inside its Bumper. But after reading your post, I removed the Bumper (briefly) to once again gaze at the device itself. Gorgeous! The styling. The solid build. The weight. It is truly a beautiful device to behold, and hold! Okay, enough of that. Bumper: ON! Hey, look at that! It's still gorgeous!

I kept my 3G in a case and you know, before the iPhone 4 came out I took it out to see what kind of shape it was in 2 years later. Other than some light scratches on the bezel it was pristine and I had forgotten how awesome the 3G looked and felt.

The 4 is even more impressive...I'll still probably stick it in a case though. I have to let my kids play with it at times and there's just no way it can go caseless.
  • Reply 217 of 338
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Steve also said: "just don't hold it in that way".

Get over it.

Get over it.

Get over it.

Wait to see what happens.

You must be a terror if you can't get over something that is still being diagnosed.
  • Reply 218 of 338
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jim Campbell View Post

Jesus Christ, Dan -- wipe the SteveJuice off your chin when you've finished fellating that Apple lovestick, won't you?

Congratulations, Appleinsider -- your association with Dilger has finally got you deleted from my bookmarks. Content-free PR regurgitation.

Thank you, and good night.

Jim

With a post like this... Good riddance. Please do stay away.
  • Reply 219 of 338
    Quote:

Ireland loves his iPad, his MacBook Air and his iMac. Ireland wanted an iPhone 4, but according to a poll on MacRumors over 50% of new iPhone 4's have a serious issue where you cannot hold the phone like you would normally. Call me a mad man all you want, but that's a serious, serious issue. Not buying one till I know more. Ireland is the same as he ever was, it's just that when Apple fucks up, which isn't too often, Ireland is not afraid to call them up on it.

Unfortunately though, when Ireland calls them he's labelled a troll and told he's changed.

OK. I'll skip more than a mention of how weird it is to refer to oneself in the third person (and with an alias no less). But dude, you've been raving like a lunatic in this thread about a product you don't own and I assume haven't used. And that poll over at MacRumors? It's not scientific in any way because it is a biased sample that in no way reflects the makeup of the couple of million people who now have iPhone 4's in their hands. That doesn't mean these folks aren't having real issues, but you can't extrapolate from this poll that more than 50% of the phones out there are having these issues.

I don't think, however, that you're wrong to be cautious about purchasing the phone. I've been using my new iPhone 4 for two days now without a single issue. I absolutely love it and it is a massive improvement over my 3GS-- for me. That doesn't mean that this phone is right for you. Maybe it's overall performance for you, with your particular set of variables will mean that it's not the best phone for you. But come on. This is not some Apple conspiracy to screw their customers. They may have made some decisions regarding the engineering of this phone that don't work for you and maybe even a lot of other people. Maybe there's a real hardware or software issue that became more apparent once a couple of million people got to test the phones in the wild. But I highly doubt they're trying to rip their customers off.
  • Reply 220 of 338
    Quote:

...Ireland is not afraid to call them up on it.

The problem is that you aren't "call[ing] them up on it" as much as annoying everyone else when you hijack a thread like this. That's why you're labelled a troll but given you've always been an attention seeker you've hardly changed. It's just been a wonderful opportunity and you even got a mention on Engadget. This has been the best Apple product evar for you.