Apple announces iPhone 4 sold 1.7 million in first three days

Comments

• Reply 61 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

It's a terrific number but it should be tempered with the fact that most of these were upgrades. I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone 4 continues to sell this well til the new hardware next year. There is no missing feature for this phone.

Why should it be tempered? Many savvy business people see this as a significant advantage. With the iPhone Apple has:

-- a large install base of qualified buyers

-- willing to pay a premium in price, time, contract termination fees to buy the latest device

-- willing to evangelize the device to others

Many would describe this as a "cash cow"!

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/06/...were-upgrades/

• Reply 62 of 140
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Radio Shack will offer you $200 for your 3GS.

Yes, but then you have to go into a Radio Shack store.
  • Reply 63 of 140
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

You interpreted my comment differently than it was intended. My use of the word "constrained" might have inferred what you suggest. But it doesn't explain the hostility of your comment.

I think he just didn't have his morning joe(coffee, not the TV show). No way did you comment imply criticism.

But that said, not really sure they would have sold that many more. Just my opinion.

That would make a nice business school study though.
  • Reply 64 of 140
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhsr View Post

He wrote "per mill" not "per cent"! So 1 per mill of 1.7 million is still 1700! ;-)

Not to beat a dead horse....but where did you learn math?\
  • Reply 65 of 140
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

As far as the supply issue...Apple should just have on of their Chinese Suppliers just build another factory and Fedex should lease another 747. I mean China is building so fast it's on the scale of building a city the size of San Francisco EVERY DAY! Their economy has grown, on average, 10% a year for the last 30 years!

And in their spare time they can build a CDMA factory for a Verizon iPhone!

There, problem(s) solved!

As a minimum, they should build (assemble) it in USA! I'll pay the extra 5 bucks or so(just a guess).
  • Reply 66 of 140
    beltsbearbeltsbear Posts: 314member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Yes, but then you have to go into a Radio Shack store.

And for just walking in they should hand you $200 BEFORE you account for the iPhone trade.
  • Reply 67 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Interesting. Despite the success of the 3GS they really did sell about the same number as the 3G in the first 3 days. It makes me wonder why because the last year of iPhone sales shows a huge jump over the previous year.

Also, I think last year was the first year they offered home delivery and sold it many more countries than they did with the 3G. If so, that could mean the 3GS had a much slower relative start than the 3G.

Perhaps it was the economy, or perhaps the case being the same design was a major factor. I hope it's not the latter as that may mean Apple will keep changing it up for no reason expect marketing. I certainly don't want that.

Here's an interesting analysis and a couple of charts-- for your dining and dancing pleasure:

http://bullcross.blogspot.com/2010/06/blog-post.html

• Reply 68 of 140
    Great, now Apple has 1.7 million units to recall and take care of the antenna design flaw!
  • Reply 69 of 140
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ctwise View Post

I assume there's a mistake in the article. If 2009 was a record of 1 million in 3 days, then 2008 couldn't have also been 1 million in 3 days.

Hmmm, maybe in 2009 they actually sold 1,000,001 phones. Just barely taking the record.
  • Reply 70 of 140
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I'd say you have no idea WTF you're talking about. "I mean, hey...let's just make an additional million phones." Sure, no problem.

• Reply 71 of 140
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's an interesting analysis and a couple of charts

From looking at that second chart, the iPhone apparently did cannibalize the iPod after all.
  • Reply 72 of 140
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SaltWater View Post

Great, now Apple has 1.7 million units to recall and take care of the antenna design flaw!

You're taking a big risk. They'll follow you home around here.
  • Reply 73 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I wonder if this figure includes all of the backlogged orders that won't be shipping for 3 weeks.

No!

Apple books orders when they are received. They book sales when they are shipped/billed to the reseller or end users.

So, the number represents the units in consumer's hands, in transit, or on the reseller's shelves.

Based on reports, I suspect the bulk are in consumer's hands (likely, being held wrong).

• Reply 74 of 140
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harmsway View Post

I am one of those 1.7 million, and love the phone.

And, boy this thing is snappy.

Oh but according to Ireland it is terrible, doesn't work and you will be taking it back
  • Reply 75 of 140
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

From looking at that second chart, the iPhone apparently did cannibalize the iPod after all.

Yes, but Apple would rather do it to themselves than let HTC/Samsung/etc do it to them.
  • Reply 76 of 140
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You can't read that from the chart. It shows the percentage of revenue from each product category. All it indicates is that iPhone revenue is growing faster than any other category.
  • Reply 77 of 140
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Yes, but Apple would rather do it to themselves than let HTC/Samsung/etc do it to them.

That is so true and often not appreciated especially by so called analysts. The question "Would you prefer this Apple product or that Apple product?" is a plus not a negative.
  • Reply 78 of 140
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

As far as I know, the only thing apple said was "talk to the hand."

Doesn't matter who said it. I was just commenting that it didn't happen.

It seemed very important to a lot of people yesterday. Just wondering how everybody feels about it today now that the cash has started to tumble in.

It may or may not happen today, as I don't belive anyone at Apple guaranteed anything. Hopefully so, but it's a waiting game from here. Also, the day barely started, so I think it's a bit premature to say it didn't happen. More like, it hasn't happened yet. Just be a little patient.
  • Reply 79 of 140
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Why should it be tempered? Many savvy business people see this as a significant advantage. With the iPhone Apple has:

-- a large install base of qualified buyers

-- willing to pay a premium in price, time, contract termination fees to buy the latest device

-- willing to evangelize the device to others

Many would describe this as a "cash cow"!

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/06/...were-upgrades/

The sales figures are staggering but a lot more of current iPhone users were available for upgrade as opposed to last year because with the 3GS. Early estimates seems to indicate that ~74% of iPhone 4 buyers already had an iPhone. While 26% for new customers is a pretty good number, I wonder how that compares against other OS manufacturers and carriers.

It always great to have a loyal user base but growth is as important. The reason why MS was passed by Apple in market cap is because of Apple's potential for future growth and earnings.
  • Reply 80 of 140
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SaltWater View Post

I'm glad you know more about Apple's products more than Apple does. Perhaps you can help them with the issue.