Apple announces iPhone 4 sold 1.7 million in first three days

Comments

• Reply 81 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

From looking at that second chart, the iPhone apparently did cannibalize the iPod after all.

Yeah, but not consistently and these are percentages of total revenue, not units. I suspect the big iPod revenue upticks (1st calendar quarter) reflect the introduction of iPod Touch upgrades,

What caught my eye was that little patch in the upper right corner!

Oh, for the naysayers, it appears that 70% of Apple's CY Q4 revenue will come from devices that don't have a "proper OS" or Flash!

• Reply 82 of 140
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    How aggravating! The signal hysteria has done nothing to slow down this juggernaut. Sometimes no amount of FUD can get between a good product and happy consumers.

Note: I am not denying that some people have noticed something, but the seriousness and extent of this "thing" has been seriously overblown. At least on blogs and forums. In the real world the vast majority seem to be very pleased indeed.
  • Reply 83 of 140
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Pretty good so far.
  • Reply 84 of 140
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You can't read that from the chart. It shows the percentage of revenue from each product category. All it indicates is that iPhone revenue is growing faster than any other category.

EDIT: My estimate here now has been shown to be inaccurate, see post #101 where I did some better calculations.

You are correct that the chart does not show the revenue, only the share, however if you extrapolate the values compared to the total revenue it seems that it is still true since 2007 total revenue was $24,006(m) and 2009 was $42,905(m). So iPod went from around 8,000(m) to around 4,000(m).
  • Reply 85 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That is so true and often not appreciated especially by so called analysts. The question "Would you prefer this Apple product or that Apple product?" is a plus not a negative.

Paraphrasing Pogo: "We have met the competition and they 'R' us!"

• Reply 86 of 140
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

$50 for US. $60 US and Canada. Lots of data. Over 1.25GBs.

Great app. Especially with their Car Kit. Most used app on my iPhone.

Or if you need a cheap gps app you can do a basic version of mapquest for free. I think it works pretty well except the map is always pointed north.
  • Reply 87 of 140
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

You might want to start using a calculator for all future calculations.

You might want to start using your brain for all posts.

The original poster correctly used the per mil symbol.

(Hint: That's not a percent symbol.)
  • Reply 88 of 140

Hey, I just noticed that there is a noob monitoring this thread:

jwilcox

0 Posts

Welcome to the snake pit @jwilcox

• Reply 89 of 140
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    Let's see here. What am I supposed to say now? Oh yeah... Apple is doooooooomed!!
  • Reply 90 of 140
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You are correct that the chart does not show the revenue, only the share, however if you extrapolate the values compared to the total revenue it seems that it is still true since 2007 total revenue was $24,006(m) and 2009 was $42,905(m). So iPod went from around 8,000(m) to around 4,000(m).

I don't think that's right. I doubt iPod revenue has fallen by half. In fact, I doubt it's fallen much if at all. Zacky has another chart on his blog which shows total revenue by category. It's difficult to read since the revenues are broken down by quarter, but it seems that while iPod revenue isn't growing much, it hasn't fallen by half either.

• Reply 91 of 140
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

You can't read that from the chart. It shows the percentage of revenue from each product category. All it indicates is that iPhone revenue is growing faster than any other category.

It takes a bit of inference but you can...given that peripheral revenue likely hasn't changed much you can see that iPod revenues have been flat or gone down.

Looking at actual revenue numbers in 2009 iPod revenues were $8B vs $9B in 2008 confirms this eyeball analysis.

So zeroing out iPod growth, even with the iPod Touch model, shows that the iPhone is cannibalizing the iPod market. And you can figure that out from that chart although it takes a little bit of work.
  • Reply 92 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

There is no missing feature for this phone.

Thats a stupid thing to say (no insult intended)

In 50 years some of us will look back and think "Haha, look at that brick. It can't even do [weird thing that hasn't been invented yet]"

You can't say something has no missing feature until all the features have been invented, which of course they won't be.

~Callum
  • Reply 93 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You're taking a big risk. They'll follow you home around here.

More and more these forums are feeling more like the juveniles over at Macrumors. Such a shame because these forums have had some fantastic discussions.
  • Reply 94 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Right because the regional manager has access to that information. Show us the proof.

He very well might have access to how long Att has the obligation to offer Apple phones, but most likely does not have the information on how long the exclusivity deal lasts. IMHO.
  • Reply 95 of 140
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Or if you need a cheap gps app you can do a basic version of mapquest for free. I think it works pretty well except the map is always pointed north.

Yep. It is free and for a very good reason. Many will compromise quality for getting something for nothing. Or it is good enough for their purposes.

We have choices.

But the bottom line is that nothing is really free.
  • Reply 96 of 140
    russellrussell Posts: 296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Monday announced that it sold more than 1.7 million units of the iPhone 4 in its first three days

Isn't Apple's press release misleading, inaccurate? Since Apple started preselling them on the 15th, shouldn't it be either:

"...delivered more than 1.7 million units of the iPhone 4 in its first 3 days...."

Or

"...sold more than 1.7 million units of the iPhone 4 in its first 13 days..."

• Reply 97 of 140
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Paraphrasing Pogo: "We have met the competition and they 'R' us!"

Damn! You are an old fart.
  • Reply 98 of 140
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Early estimates seems to indicate that ~74% of iPhone 4 buyers already had an iPhone. While 26% for new customers is a pretty good number, I wonder how that compares against other OS manufacturers and carriers.

It always great to have a loyal user base but growth is as important. The reason why MS was passed by Apple in market cap is because of Apple's potential for future growth and earnings.

Growth is important, but so is sustainability. As a result, AT&T now has all those current iPhone users under brand new contracts for another 24 hours (or less, depending on your account) and now with a nearly double ETF fee. Their turn off is likely even lower now, something it beat Verizon on for the first time only in the last quarter or two. I would expect that their sub numbers are even closer to Verizon, per user, after this quarter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Isn't Apple's press release misleading, inaccurate? Since Apple started preselling them on the 15th, shouldn't it be either:

"...delivered more than 1.7 million units of the iPhone 4 in its first 3 days...."

Or

"...sold more than 1.7 million units of the iPhone 4 in its first 13 days..."

Nope. Those aren't orders, they pre-orders. Those sales don't count because no complete transaction between buyer and seller has taken place. I pre-ordered on the 15th but the charge to my account didn't happen until the day I received it.

PS: There is no reason to increase the font size to make your point.
  • Reply 99 of 140
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

It takes a bit of inference but you can...given that peripheral revenue likely hasn't changed much you can see that iPod revenues have been flat or gone down.

Looking at actual revenue numbers in 2009 iPod revenues were $8B vs $9B in 2008 confirms this eyeball analysis.

So zeroing out iPod growth, even with the iPod Touch model, shows that the iPhone is cannibalizing the iPod market. And you can figure that out from that chart although it takes a little bit of work.

If you look at the other chart I posted, I think you'll see that this inference can't be made so readily. (Keep in mind too that for all of these charts, Q3 and Q4 2010 are projections.)

Revenue growth for the iPod is certainly flattening out in recent quarters, which is what you'd expect from a mature product. The newer products are driving revenue growth, which is also what you'd expect.

Looking at the raw numbers, in Q1 2010 iPod revenues were $3.4b, up 1% YOY. In Q2 2010, iPod revenues were $1.9b, up from $1.7b a year earlier.
  • Reply 100 of 140
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

if at all. Zacky has another chart on his blog which shows total revenue by category. It's difficult to read since the revenues are broken down by quarter, but it seems that while iPod revenue isn't growing much, it hasn't fallen by half either.

Actually my previous estimate was not correct. After doing some calculations based on just comparing iPod Q2 2007 and Q2 2010 it appears that the total revenues are very close with a sight increase in 2010,

Q2 2007 $1,631

Q2 2010 $1,754