Apple says iPhone 4 calculates bars wrong, software fix forthcoming

Comments

• Reply 301 of 435
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

Here's the link http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/24/...h-a-non-issue/

I imagine you've seen this. My contention is that Steve Jobs never meant "Avoid holding it that way" as his complete answer. The follow-up clarified his first reply. Paraphrasing, Apple said to avoid covering the lower portion of the iPhone if you experience reception problems. It should be obvious that SJ was referring to weak signals. We all know that blocking a radio signal can interfere with reception, especially if the signal is near the low end. What SJ probably wasn't aware of when he commented was the problem Apple discovered with the false indication of a weak signal being a strong signal.

I apologize if my interpretation differs from yours. But all of these negative stories that have proliferated the blogs have become tiresome. Don't get me wrong. I want Apple to fix any and all problems with the iPhone since I hope to get one thru Verizon. I know...wishful thinking.

That wasn't your original contention. It wasn't a matter of interpretation. You said:

Quote:

And the "Don't hold it that way" email was a fake too. You have to stop believing everything you want to believe.

Now, in this post, you acknowledge it was real and not fake but try to cover up your error by saying it is a matter of interpretation. That is either dishonest or delusional.
  • Reply 302 of 435
    vince_jtvince_jt Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Please stop making things up.

Please stop talking out of your pie hole.
  • Reply 303 of 435
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I have found a website and forum for people interested in Appley things on which the members treat each other with respect, do not name-call, they collaborate on getting facts straight, and bring useful expertise and insights to the matters under discussion. Civility and intelligence are the rule of the day. I would love to tell you where it is, but that would only lead the hordes of trolls which bedevil other sites to it. Membership is restricted and rules are rigorously enforced. It's heaven. I may never post anywhere else again.

Would love to join you.
  • Reply 304 of 435
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

I have found a website and forum for people interested in Appley things on which the members treat each other with respect, do not name-call, they collaborate on getting facts straight, and bring useful expertise and insights to the matters under discussion. Civility and intelligence are the rule of the day. I would love to tell you where it is, but that would only lead the hordes of trolls which bedevil other sites to it. Membership is restricted and rules are rigorously enforced. It's heaven. I may never post anywhere else again.

Careful. Last time people started talking about alternative forums, we ended up with AppleNova and the Great Splintering.

(or was it ai.org first?)

RIP LoCash
  • Reply 305 of 435
    vince_jtvince_jt Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What inadequate signal strength are you referring to? Anand's tests (and Apple's tests, although you'll probably ignore those) show that the iPHone 4 has GREATER sensitivity than other phones, not less.

And greater propensity to 'lose' that fine signal with a little left handed grip.

Are you for real or being intentionally dim?
  • Reply 306 of 435
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

I found one like that too, it was called "MacRumours" but then after a few years it turned into a poo-soaked heck-hole of juvenile ranting. Then I found another great site called "AppleInsider" and I thought I had lucked out again, but sure enough a few years later ... same thing.

Some don't even last that long. There is one called the AppleBlog that was fantastic for about a week after it opened. Even Ars is full of juvenile ravings and fan-boy articles now although they still have good long reviews.

MacNN is probably still the best bet for reasoned, factual, logical (but unfortunately short), articles with a minimum of raving comments.
  • Reply 307 of 435
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

That wasn't your original contention. It wasn't a matter of interpretation. You said:

Now, in this post, you acknowledge it was real and not fake but try to cover up your error by saying it is a matter of interpretation. That is either dishonest or delusional.

Thanks for pointing that out. The sarcastic "Don't hold it like that" statement that first hit the headlines probably made me delusional. What irritated me was the incomplete story of what Apple actually acknowledged. I should have said "misleading" instead of "fake."
  • Reply 308 of 435
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

This is an unfortunate response coming from Apple. Based on the dozen or so anecdotal reports from individuals/bloggers/engineers that I've read, the half-dozen youtube videos I've seen, friends that I know first-hand experiencing the issue, and even quantitative testing from Anandtech.com, this issue does NOT appear to be a simple case of "signal bars" being display incorrectly. While a problem with the visual display of signal strength may account for the perceived loss of "bars" on the screen, it certainly cannot account for the real, detrimental effects people are experiencing.

Many of those affected report dropped calls, major reduction in data transfer speeds, and other immediate signs of actual, severe signal attenuation when holding their iPhones in a way that "bridges" the antennae.

At this point, I'm confused as to whether Apple is acting nefariously to spin and down-play a serious defect in the iPhone design, or if they literally cannot consistently reproduce the issue in testing. I do find the latter explanation hard to believe given the widespread customer reports of this problem. If so, and Apple is intentionally minimizing this issue and deceiving customers to save face (and $$$$ from recalls/repairs), shame on them.

I suspect Apple found, and is fixing a real issue -- the most widespread issue, the loss of bars.

I suspect that Apple intends that their announcement will deflect some of the wild criticism, and buy them some time to determine if the other reported issues are prevalent, and to determine a course of action to resolve them.

For discussion purposes, let's assume, worst case, that there is a design flaw with the antenna, which requires a redesign to fix.

If that were the case, the iP4 would need to be redesigned, tested, etc. and re-submitted to the FCC for re-approval. That could take months.

At that point, when they understand the issue and its resolution, Apple could initiate a recall/replacement process and/or give the consumer an option for some type of compensation.

Valid problems/defects or not, Apple needs to take a very measured approach to resolving the "issue".

As others have said, we'll know in 3-4 weeks... meanwhile: Obladi Oblada!

Their is way too much at stake, here, than to brush it under the rug.

• Reply 309 of 435
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juan370Z View Post

This is complete bull**** I have 3 iPhone 4 and two of them suffer problems and the otherone dosent so it can't be signal issues. Is hardware issues. Wtf

Helllllooo!!! Comments like the one above, should be the highest rated, and people like juan370Z and the Engadget team who also have some phones with no issue, and phones with the issue, should do some more thorough testing.

If some phone in fact does not have this problem, then it is not a construction error, but a production error on some of the phones. Only people who has more than one iPhone 4, where one has reception issues and one does not should be allowed to talk on this issue, the rest is just noise!

If it in fact should turn out to be a construction error, then I made this hardware upgrade suggestion to Apple:

Best regards

Kim Neeper Rasmussen

Ultimate Photorealism
  • Reply 310 of 435
    goldbeabgoldbeab Posts: 1member
    The irony of Apple's statement is that it essentially puts the spotlight back on AT&T's network. Basically they're saying that our phone doesn't have a problem, you're just getting a crappy signal from AT&T.
  • Reply 311 of 435
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Interesting... a bag of lemons.

I got a 1-day (early) iP4 on June 23. It has no problems.

I have 2 more that should ship today, and another 2 that ship in a couple of weeks. Two of these will be used for development (if can ever get off these forums).

It will be interesting to see and compare them to the current iP4, 3G and 3Gs that also don't experience any problems).

Wish we could say the same! We only upgraded 4 of our 20 something iPhones to iPhone 4. So far, the situation is:

3 get great reception. One gets spotty. One has a dead speakerphone, one with a severe crackling when on a call and the last has no reported issues, but she has been in GA all week and I haven't called.

Having ample 3Gs around helped push the network issue quickly through Apple support. They kept saying, take the case off cause it interferes with the antenna, don't hold it at the bottom and I was performing their requested steps while it was laying on the table naked next to a 3Gs with case on performing great. Again, nothing antenna related IMHO, just hardware issue.

I put an end to iPhone 4 upgrades for the time being. We are going to wait for ventilated cases and the frenzy to die down so we get to the typical Apple quality standard.
  • Reply 312 of 435
    I just recorded a video accessing 3G data on my iPhone 4 before and after holding it in my left hand. Instead of just looking at the reception indicator, I used speed test apps to see if the 3G signal is affected. It completely lost all 3G reception.

YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqe0tBuBR20
  • Reply 313 of 435
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Actually, it is either or both!

Guy's that live under bridges get to fish too!

Dictionary\t

troll 2

verb [ intrans. ]

1 fish by trailing a baited line along behind a boat : we trolled for mackerel.

? search for something : a group of companies trolling for partnership opportunities.

2 [ trans. ] sing (something) in a happy and carefree way : troll the ancient Yuletide carol.

3 [ trans. ] informal Computing send (an e-mail message or posting on the Internet) intended to provoke a response from the reader by containing errors.

4 [with adverbial of direction ] chiefly Brit. walk; stroll : we all trolled into town.

noun

1 the action of trolling for fish.

? a line or bait used in such fishing.

2 informal Computing an e-mail message or posting on the Internet intended to provoke an indignant response in the reader.

DERIVATIVES

troller noun

ORIGIN late Middle English (in the sense ?stroll, roll? ): origin uncertain; compare with Old French troller ?wander here and there (in search of game)? and Middle High German trollen ?stroll.?

Thesaurus\t

noun

the storybook trolls who live under the bridge: goblin, hobgoblin, gnome, demon, monster, bugaboo, ogre.

LOL! No, it's not both! It doesn't make sense to say someone is trolling and have the meaning stem from trolls that live under bridges! Trolling for replies and comments like a boat trolling for fish makes much more sense.

But whatever, who the hell cares anymore. Around here you get called a troll if you offer an opinion that's different than what the majority of people have, and that's just the way it is
  • Reply 314 of 435
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by goldbeab View Post

The irony of Apple's statement is that it essentially puts the spotlight back on AT&T's network. Basically they're saying that our phone doesn't have a problem, you're just getting a crappy signal from AT&T.

That's the whole point of PR. Sun Tsu would have been a business man today.

PS: Jobs intelligently did the same thing with Blu-ray back in 2008. He squarely put the blame on the complex Bu-ray licensing. While that was truthful and easily verifiable, it wasn't the whole truth and surely not the main reason for their lack of adoption of Blu-ray. There were two more important reasons:
    1. They could have added AACS support to Mac OS X long ago so users could attach their own BRDs to play protected content, but the blue-laser war gave internet-based media the opportunity it needed and Apple then focused on that.

2. The cost of BRDs for Macs is considerably more costly than pretty much every model of PC sold by competitors since Apple uses 9.5mm Ultra-Slim Slot-Loading drives in all but the Mac Pro. I don't I saw 9.5mm Tray-Loading BRDs until just a year ago, and those are still $500-600 for an upgrade from Dell and HP.

• Reply 315 of 435
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

LOL! No, it's not both! It doesn't make sense to say someone is trolling and have the meaning stem from trolls that live under bridges! Trolling for replies and comments like a boat trolling for fish makes much more sense.

But whatever, who the hell cares anymore. Around here you get called a troll if you offer an opinion that's different than what the majority of people have, and that's just the way it is

Trolling is for those clearly trying to wreak havoc on the thread. I often disagree with Dick Applebaum but I'd never consider his well thought out and balanced posts trolling even when I don't agree with his PoV.

Your posts tend to jump to conclusions and making sweeping generalizations without being backed up with a solid argument where I can see how others wold call you troll, but as you've seen in the past, I've disagreed with them. I do think you have viable info to share so I do wish you'd check your emotions at the door.
  • Reply 316 of 435
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,945member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

LOL! No, it's not both! It doesn't make sense to say someone is trolling and have the meaning stem from trolls that live under bridges! Trolling for replies and comments like a boat trolling for fish makes much more sense. ...

Well, it does make sense if you consider that the image that most people have of internet trolls is that they are similar in character to the troll that lives under the bridge, thus the extension of meaning fits aptly. Language can be a wonderful thing if you don't try to keep it in a straitjacket.
  • Reply 317 of 435
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shapesNforms View Post

I'm going to avoid any comments one way or the other and just stick to the facts of my situation so here goes:

Bought an iPhone 4 on launch day. Stood in line for four hours to get it at the Apple store in Roseville, CA. Upgraded from a iPhone 3GS in the process...The 3GS has been passed to my girlfriend and replaced her old phone. I've had numerous dropped calls with my iPhone 4 since purchasing it. The phone has no case on it, just a screen protector as does the 3GS.

So today, I have both phones in front of me at the moment as I'm installing apps on the 3GS for my girlfriend. The iPhone 4 is showing 3 bars and the 3GS shows 4.

If I pick up the 3GS and hold it normally in my left hand and call my buddy (he is curious since he as a iPhone 4 on order) across town, everything works fine. Tried two calls on the 3GS so far with no issues.

Tried the same thing with the iPhone 4:
    • Call #1 was fine and then started to break up so I moved my hand to hold the phone differently and it cleared up.

• Second call...dropped the call after about a minute.

• Tried a third call and this time, held the phone normally and sure enough, after about a minute, the call started to break up. Moved my hand and it cleared up. Moved my hand back to the way I hold it normally and it started to break up. I kept it here and about twenty seconds later, dropped the call.

My simple question is this...What would cause the difference between the two phones as far as reception goes?

That's it...I don't want to hear, buy a case since I'm testing both "caseless" at the moment and "return it to the store if you don't like it"...I like the iPhone 4 and want to keep it. On the other hand, "the iPhone 4 is crap" doesn't fly with me either...So, what could cause the issues I'm seeing with the iPhone4?

First, a question: Is the 3GS running iOS 4, too?

Couple of possibilities:

-- you have an instance of a defective phone that a replacement would resolve

-- there is a hardware design defect

-- there is a software defect* that can be resolved by an update

* this one can be a toughie, because it could be in the way the drivers recognize signal strength, decide when to hand off to a stronger (slower?) signal, and actually accomplishing the switchover. When you are working at this level, it is kind of a never-land... not quite hardware, not quite software.

If I were to guess, I say, in this order:

-- defective iPhone

-- software defect (or a hardware issue that can be fixed by software)**

-- design defect (or as some say: Hecka-Fail)

** Back in the early days you usually were correct guessing a hardware bug. With the state-of-the-art electronics many former hardware features are partially implemented in software-- one advantage of this is to be able to resolve many "hardware problems" by changing the "software". For example, they could, likely, change the CPU speed (clocking) with a software patch. This could be used to reduce overheating, conserve battery. The Cell radio chips, likely, can be tweaked by software, too.

In the iP4 you have much more compute power than you have in a 10 year old iMac... plus GPU, GPS, radio chips, manometers, etc..

There is a lot of complexity here, and many places to look for problems and solutions-- it takes time to localize the problem, identify resolution, and implement a "fix"

If Apple has done their job, there will very little "hardware" in the iP4 that can't be tweaked to resolve problems.

• Reply 318 of 435
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Careful. Last time people started talking about alternative forums, we ended up with AppleNova and the Great Splintering.

(or was it ai.org first?)

RIP LoCash

Even I haven't been around for that event in AI history. Maybe you should write up a "history of" and ask the mods to create an About Us link at the top.

Edit: Just check Wiki and found out what I needed to know.
  • Reply 319 of 435
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think you are taking what he wrote too literally. Perhaps he meant the thousands that have complained in forums around the world.

Also, 'you would bet' on a rate approaching 0.1% based on what? (Especially considering you have no clue as indicated by the last sentence of your post).

You are normally a credible guy........

I worded that wrong-- I should have said between 300 and 3,000 or a rate between .01% and .1%.

As to why I'd bet-- I have no experience with this class of device & was trying to get people with experience to give us some reasonable expectations.

Back in the 1970s-1980s, when we owned the computer stores, we set a policy to burn in everything for 24 hours minimum (Apple ][, Mac, IBM P/C, hard drives, etc)...

Various devices had various expected failure rates-- with the burn-in policy, we could isolate our customers from the electronic crib-deaths that were fairly common in that era.

Now, and again, we would need to override our policy because the customer wanted an unopened box!

So, BOT, just SWAGging it would guess that consumer electronics of this class have a normal failure rate of between .01% and .1%.

Help!

• Reply 320 of 435
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Whether or not you're able to substantiate your discomfort with that reporting by disputing any specific claims of fact in those articles, one fact remains unquestionable: Apple's mishandling of this issue has resulted in a significant hit to their reputation.

We're only in the first inning... it's a 9-inning game.

Handled right (especially if there is a real problem), Apple could enhance their reputation!

There may be a real opportunity here...