Consumer Reports: signal issues not unique iPhone 4, no reason not to buy

Comments

• Reply 401 of 451
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSwitcher View Post

I got myself all six of them to match different outfits for different occasions (some still on their way). If you are poor any $1.99 case will do too. But no, it's all about complaining.

And what about all of us that look STUNNING with silver accessories without some dumpy looking case?
  • Reply 402 of 451
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No, he said one of. It's your reading into it that make you come up with the fact that he was actually saying that was the one and only iPhone in the world that worked correctly.

Besides, most think at this stage that most are actually affected, but it depends on a few factors whether or not you'll actually notice it. Judging by the Macrumors poll half will notice it.

It's clear what his implication was. I would also point out, besides the fact that such a poll will tend to attract those affected more so than those not affected, "half" is not "most"
  • Reply 403 of 451
    Quote:

People's interpretations aren't dropping calls and slowing data, those facts aren't up to interpretation. Like I said, those that are giving out are doing so because their older model iPhones didn't have this issue, where you touch a spot and the signal dies. A speedtest is the best test and shows the speed slowing and speeding up as if that spot were a brake pedal.

There you go, confusing the issues again.
  • Reply 404 of 451
    Quote:

Now you're just making shit up.

No. You must be so focused on your anger that you don't realize that this post actually contradicts one of the last few you made, the one where you say half of iP4 owners are affected. You aren't being rational.
  • Reply 405 of 451
    Quote:

I'm not disagreeing with Apple on this fact. I say give it back too.

Quote:

I say put a damn case around it like you always did with every iPhone before it.

Actually, I (and I'm sure most people too) would have loved and bought the iPhone4 anyway even if Apple had made it with this Bumper built-in and unremovable. And yes, even if they charged $29 more for it too. You know that is true. Apple always sets the standards that everyone else will desire and follow, be it metal, plastic, glass, rubber, b/w, color or else.

That said, the fact that they sell me 6 different colors of their take on the iPhone 'finish' only makes it even better. Again, if you're smart, you won't leave it unprotected.

Only wanna use it bare AND have to endure AT&T in the US, then I'm sorry for you. Yes, give all that iPhone goodness back to Apple and get a robot, or cyborg or whaddayacallit.
  • Reply 406 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's clear what his implication was. I would also point out, besides the fact that such a poll will tend to attract those affected more so than those not affected, "half" is not "most"

Yeah, but they've only just got it. Even more people will experience issues as people travel, move homes, move jobs etc.
  • Reply 407 of 451
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

No. You must be so focused on your anger that you don't realize that this post actually contradicts one of the last few you made, the one where you say half of iP4 owners are affected. You aren't being rational.

You lost your rationality many moons ago.
  • Reply 408 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

And what about all of us that look STUNNING with silver accessories without some dumpy looking case?

Oh, well... wait for the iP4 version of this:

• Reply 409 of 451
    Quote:

If the poll went the other way you'd be linking to it, and you know it.
  • Reply 410 of 451
    Quote:

I say put a damn case around it like you always did with every iPhone before it.

A damn case? Don't tell me or anyone what to do with their phone. The last thing I'm going to do is cover up a major engineering mishap. I use Apple products because of their attention to the details, not so I can hide the side of the phone to get it to work.

You're all full of shit.
  • Reply 411 of 451
    Quote:

Yeah, but they've only just got it. Even more people will experience issues as people travel, move homes, move jobs etc.

No..... they'll experience less issues as they get cases for their brand-new iPhones.

Admit it, this is only an issue because most people still haven't got their cases. They will get them eventually, and not even more because of this issue.

The iPhone is like your dick. You should always use it with protection, for several reasons.

- further discussion is OT
  • Reply 412 of 451
    Quote:

No..... they'll experience less issues as they get cases for their brand-new iPhones.

Admit it, this is only an issue because most people still haven't got their cases. They will get them eventually, and not even more because of this issue.

The iPhone is like your dick. You should always use it with protection, for several reasons.

- further discussion is OT

Protection doesn't prevent dropped calls or slower or no data it just helps reduce it. I think there sill be cases out sooner or later that do solve the issue but they'll be noticeably bulkier.
  • Reply 413 of 451
    Quote:

A damn case? Don't tell me or anyone what to do with their phone. The last thing I'm going to do is cover up a major engineering mishap. I use Apple products because of their attention to the details, not so I can hide the side of the phone to get it to work.

You're all full of shit.

Everyone is full of shit until they relieve themselves of it. But it seems YOU are mistaking AI for your toilet by trying to bring insults up over here...

The last thing I'm covering the sides of my phone for is covering an engineering mishap. I'm covering it for (in order of priority):

- customizing it to my liking

- protecting it from accidents

- protecting it from scratches when lying flat

- improving my grip

- avoiding any signal attenuation (last, because I'm not in the US and never had a dropped call)

So, whether I suffered AT&T or not I would still have four other reasons for using a case, and those are the same reasons most people have used cases for their iPhones since the first one. Won't be different this time around.
  • Reply 414 of 451
    Quote:

Protection doesn't prevent dropped calls or slower or no data it just helps reduce it. I think there sill be cases out sooner or later that do solve the issue but they'll be noticeably bulkier.

According to AnandTech's study, which seems to be the most reliable so far, using a case did bring the attenuation on par with the other phones. Which means that, as long as you use a case, all that is left of the dropped calls problem is AT&T's poor network. We all know that is not exactly news... and overall connection even seems to have improved compared to the 3GS.
  • Reply 415 of 451
    Quote:

More intentionally baseless speculation on your part.
  • Reply 416 of 451
    Quote:

If the poll went the other way you'd be linking to it, and you know it.

You mean if it said half of them didn't have it?
  • Reply 417 of 451
    Quote:

Everyone is full of shit until they relieve themselves of it. But it seems YOU are mistaking AI for your toilet by trying to bring insults up over here.

The last thing I'm covering the sides of my phone for is covering an engineering mishap. I'm covering it for (in order of priority):

- customizing it to my liking

- protecting it from accidents

- protecting it from scratches when lying flat

- improving my grip

- avoiding any signal attenuation (last, because I'm not in the US and never had a dropped call)

"avoiding any signal attenuation"

You forgot the other part, avoiding touching a black line on the side of your phone which is proven in cases to completely stop antenna signal going anywhere, which has nothing to do with the usual "attenuation" phones get. It's a completely different issue altogether.
  • Reply 418 of 451
    Quote:

You mean if it said half of them didn't have it?

Exactly, you're hypothesis is nonsense either way. And judging by the amount of denial round here I'd say if the poll is skewed it's in favour of denying the issue exists not the other way around.
  • Reply 419 of 451
    Quote:

Exactly, you're hypothesis is nonsense either way. And judging by the amount of denial round here I'd say if the poll is skewed it's in favour of denying the issue exists not the other way around.

OK, sanity check. Half having the problem and half not having the problem are exactly the same thing. So, in this case, "if it were the other way around," is exactly what it is. This is pretty basic stuff, yet you're acting like it would mean something different. I think you need to step back, take a deep breath, and seriously consider that you've abandoned all objectivity and rationality on this issue, fueled on perhaps by the handful of posters here that would like to provoke you into doing just that.
  • Reply 420 of 451
    Quote:

"avoiding any signal attenuation"

You forgot the other part, avoiding touching a black line on the side of your phone which is proven in cases to completely stop antenna signal going anywhere, which has nothing to do with the usual "attenuation" phones get. It's a completely different issue altogether.

Yes, it is a completely different issue altogether, that's exactly the point. And, based on what reports there are, unless, for example, you wish to assert that solipsism is lying to us on this point, it's a completely different issue that doesn't affect all phones.

If you try to lump all the issues together, which you seem to be doing most of the time, while sometimes acknowledging that they are different issues, all you end up doing is creating confusion.