Android struggling to mimic iPhone's pay-to-own marketplace?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While Apple's App Store has helped developers generate over $1 billion in sales in just 24 months, Google's fledgeling Android marketplace doesn't yet enjoy the same flavor of broad e-commerce, leaving it comprised largely of freebees.



That's according to a new report from analytics firm Distimo, which found that Google'sAndroid market has the largest percentage of free applications by far -- at 57% -- of all the major mobile application stores on the internet, or more than double that of Apple's App Store for the iPhone and iPad (28%).



"The large share of free applications in Google Android Market may be influenced by developers from only 9 countries being able to distribute paid applications in Google Android Market, and users from only 13 countries being able to download paid applications (out of the 46 countries where Google Android Market is available)," the report explains.



Additionally, Distimo pointed out that consumers need to register for a Google Checkout account in most locations in order to download paid applications in Google Android Market. By comparison, Apple ties App Store downloads to iTunes Store accounts, which already exceed 125 million worldwide.



More generally, Distimo revealed that more than 50% of applications are priced below or equal to $2.00 in all of the electronic app stores, with the exception of BlackBerry App World and Windows Marketplace for Mobile.







"Interestingly, the percentage of applications priced $0.99 ($0 - $1) is much higher in the Apple App Store for iPhone than in the Apple App Store for iPad," the firm said. "The percentage of applications priced $1.99 ($1 - $2) is similar between these two stores, while the percentage of applications priced higher than $3.00 and below or equal to $10.00 is higher in the Apple App Store for iPad than in the Apple App Store for iPhone."







Other findings from the Distimo June 2010 report include:*

In the competitive e-reader market, both the iBooks application by Apple, Inc. and the Kindle application by Amazon.com are ranked among the 10 most popular free applications in the Apple App Store for iPad. Apple's application is ranked number one however, and Amazon's application in ranked number ten.

The average price of all paid applications and the 100 most popular paid applications in the Apple App Store for iPad ($4.65) is*higher than in the Apple App Store for iPhone ($4.01). However, the average price of the 100 top grossing applications is higher*on the Apple App Store for iPhone.*

Twitter, Inc. published their native application in the Apple App Store and Google Android Market, becoming the monthly number 10 free application in the Apple App Store for iPhone, and the number 6 free application in Google Android Market.

Nine out of the ten most popular free applications and eight out of the ten most popular paid applications in the Apple App Store for iPhone are in the Games category.*

Five out of the ten most popular free applications in the Windows Marketplace for Mobile are published by Microsoft Corporation.
«134567

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 130
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,028member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    That's according to a new report from analytics firm Distimo, which found that Google'sAndroid market has the largest share of free applications by far -- at 57% -- of all the major mobile application stores on the internet, or more than double that of Apple's App Store for the iPhone and iPad (28%).



    This is poorly worded and may be misleading. Android does not have the "largest share of free applications by far". Free Android apps makes up a greater proportion of total Android apps when compared to other app stores. I have no doubt that the absolute number of free apps for iOS makes Android look puny, even with their greater proportion.
  • Reply 2 of 130
    lewchenkolewchenko Posts: 110member
    Its a well known fact that people who own Apple kit a) Pay more in every conceivable way! and b) Pay for stuff that you can get free on other platforms for free.



    Just the nature of the beast that is now Apple. I own Apple kit and kinda accepted it. To be a part of the Apple club isnt for cheap people thats for sure.



    The sad part about this though is the developers will be drawn to Apple's App store (quite rightly) to make money. But as Android grows, this will potentially get better.



    Im kinda pro Android simply because of Apple's 'lying PR' over the recent antenna screw ups with the iPhone 4, but love Apple's computers and OSX.



    Apple is slowing becoming 'DARK' though (ala Evil Empire)... arent you Steve Vadar
  • Reply 3 of 130
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lewchenko View Post


    Im kinda pro Android simply because of Apple's 'lying PR' over the recent antenna screw ups with the iPhone 4, but love Apple's computers and OSX.



    The reason the Apple way is not cheap is that they take more care and pride in what they do. They don't push cheaply made and designed me-too product out the door just to make a quick buck. When they do make mistakes, they tend to be for the right reason. By this I mean that any antenna problems that people may be having could have easily been avoided by Apple just continuing to use an internal antenna just like they did previously, and like everyone else does. Instead they chose to innovate, taking the risks that go with that. I admire and respect that.
  • Reply 4 of 130
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post


    This is poorly worded and may be misleading. Android does not have the "largest share of free applications by far". Free Android apps makes up a greater proportion of total Android apps [I]when compared to other app stores



    Agreed.

    iTunes App store = ~200,000 total, 28% free = 56,000 free apps

    Android store = ~50,000 apps total, 57% free = 28,500 free apps
  • Reply 5 of 130
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lewchenko View Post


    Im kinda pro Android simply because of Apple's 'lying PR' over the recent antenna screw ups with the iPhone 4, but love Apple's computers and OSX.



    I'm pro Android for several reasons: First, competition. Competition breeds better products. I figure Android will take the low end, though, and Apple the high end. Apple would never be in a race for the bottom.



    Second, the complete freedom that Android enjoys will keep Apple at bay and not completely censoring everything "for our own good".



    Quote:

    Apple is slowing becoming 'DARK' though (ala Evil Empire)... arent you Steve Vadar



    I don't think it's 'DARK', but when we get into an arena of censorship and control, it can go wrong. Absolute power breeds absolute corruption. I do like some of the actions Apple has taken. Do we really want the app store full of porn? However, it needs to have a reality check, and Android's complete openness will give users an alternative so that the forces that be won't get too authoritarian.



    I would like to see the iPhone on Verizon, and let the strongest prevail. You know...completely level and fair market. Right now, Verizon has enough success with Android that it doesn't need Apple. This was a mistake on Apple's part to lock into AT&T for so long. Had it not, Android may not have even gotten a foothold in the market. It wasn't really doing much at all until Verizon started pushing it with their licensed branding of "Droid" and lots of marketing. Apple's move into Verizon now would give them the advantage, but if they wait, Android will just get better and more adopters of it will just not bother with iPhone.
  • Reply 6 of 130
    lewchenkolewchenko Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post


    Instead they chose to innovate, taking the risks that go with that. I admire and respect that.



    Nobody is complaining about that part. They are complaining about Apple's response since the issue was discovered.



    ie. Hold it Different. Its all your fault.

    ie. Poor engineering (lets not admit we should have put a sealant over the antenna bridge)

    ie. Releasing a fix which isnt a fix at all... just reports the bars differently. You will still lose calls.

    ie. Telling their reps not to give complaining customers rubber bumpers, but ripping them off to the tune of $30 for a $1 piece of rubber.

    ie. They would rather you returned your faulty handset than give you a cheap piece of rubber.



    I love their innovation too, but this time Apple have shown to all that they treat their customers with contempt.
  • Reply 7 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post


    The reason the Apple way is not cheap is that they take more care and pride in what they do. They don't push cheaply made and designed me-too product out the door just to make a quick buck. When they do make mistakes, they tend to be for the right reason. By this I mean that any antenna problems that people may be having could have easily been avoided by Apple just continuing to use an internal antenna just like they did previously, and like everyone else does. Instead they chose to innovate, taking the risks that go with that. I admire and respect that.



    Their junk is made in the same Chinese sweat shops as the Dell junk, HP junk, etc. with the same parts that they all use. If Apple would let you open their units without voiding their warranty, you would find the same HD, memory chips and such. The reason they are not cheap is because you will pay more.
  • Reply 8 of 130
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lewchenko View Post


    Nobody is complaining about that part. They are complaining about Apple's response since the issue was discovered.



    ie. Hold it Different. Its all your fault.

    ie. Poor engineering (lets not admit we should have put a sealant over the antenna bridge)

    ie. Releasing a fix which isnt a fix at all... just reports the bars differently. You will still lose calls.

    ie. Telling their reps not to give complaining customers rubber bumpers, but ripping them off to the tune of $30 for a $1 piece of rubber.

    ie. They would rather you returned your faulty handset than give you a cheap piece of rubber.



    I love their innovation too, but this time Apple have shown to all that they treat their customers with contempt.



    A lot of assumptions here. All of them negative. I prefer to give this company, whose products (and stock) have given me so much enjoyment over the years, the benefit of the doubt. I think they will make this right once the dust has settled.
  • Reply 9 of 130
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post


    Their junk is made in the same Chinese sweat shops as the Dell junk, HP junk, etc. with the same parts that they all use. If Apple would let you open their units without voiding their warranty, you would find the same HD, memory chips and such. The reason they are not cheap is because you will pay more.



    Apple's warranty voiding policy is hardly unique. Granted, some parts are indeed commodity items. But many that really matter, such as the A4 chip in the iPhone, are built to Apple's design and specs. And I was also talking about software too, not just hardware. Is your position really that Apple doesn't innovate? That its products' fit and finish are not superior? That such things don't add to cost? If you honestly believe Apple hardware is junk, and no better than any other qualitatively, then further discussion is pointless.
  • Reply 10 of 130
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    I would rather see ads in an app than to pay for it with my money.
  • Reply 11 of 130
    . This was a mistake on Apple's part to lock into AT&T for so long. Had it not, Android may not have even gotten a foothold in the market. It wasn't really doing much at all until Verizon started pushing it with their licensed branding of "Droid" and lots of marketing. Apple's move into Verizon now would give them the advantage, but if they wait, Android will just get better and more adopters of it will just not bother with iPhone.[/QUOTE]







    FYI apple went to Verizon first to carry the iphone and the laugh in Jobs face say that the iphone would not be successful. Apple then went to att and didnt even show they a prototype and teh accept apple offer



    so how could you say it apple fault stupid troll read your facts first b4 u utter shit
  • Reply 12 of 130
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Blackberry only sells apps over $1.99?
  • Reply 13 of 130
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 654member
    Cheap phones and free software is what Android is all about. Free is one of that platform's major selling points. Apple-Hating is, arguably, another.



    Apple's fully integrated hardware/software/media model has many, many advantages over the fractured and chaotic system that Android represents. Not there's anything wrong with chaos as long as users understand that that's what they're buying and getting themselves into.



    Some people like tinkering... assembling their own computers, fixing their cars, etc. ...

    Others just want things that work and see great value in paying for that "feature" up front.



    Apple may not be free, but sometimes "free" is FAR more expensive.
  • Reply 14 of 130
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lewchenko View Post


    Its a well known fact that people who own Apple kit a) Pay more in every conceivable way! and b) Pay for stuff that you can get free on other platforms for free.



    What the hell are you smoking? The app store essentially decreased the absurd price of smartphone applications AND beefed 'em up.

    Quote:

    The sad part about this though is the developers will be drawn to Apple's App store (quite rightly) to make money. But as Android grows, this will potentially get better.



    Again, what the hell are you talking about?



    Quote:

    Im kinda pro Android simply because of Apple's 'lying PR' over the recent antenna screw ups with the iPhone 4, but love Apple's computers and OSX.



    Exactly how were they lying?



    Quote:

    Apple is slowing becoming 'DARK' though (ala Evil Empire)... arent you Steve Vadar



    Sorry, I think you misspelled that. Repeat after me, G-O-O-G-L-E
  • Reply 15 of 130
    cgrisarcgrisar Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post


    A lot of assumptions here. All of them negative. I prefer to give this company, whose products (and stock) have given me so much enjoyment over the years, the benefit of the doubt. I think they will make this right once the dust has settled.



    Where are the assumptions? These are facts. Just check the press releases. And shouldn't this top notch, state of the art company correct there errors right away? I don't think the dust will settle before they got a right. Which should be straight away for a device costing over 700 USD.
  • Reply 16 of 130
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post


    I do like some of the actions Apple has taken. Do we really want the app store full of porn?



    With Safari (and other browsers) on your iDevice, there's absolutely ZERO need for porn apps in the App Store. So, if the dearth of porn helps a minority of customers feel "safer", it'll sell more Apple gear and so much the better.



    As for Apple censoring things, yes it's disturbing, but what we see is a tiny fraction of the total apps being censored. Those anomalies get played up to the hilt and blown out of all proportion in the press and blogosphere.



    Aside from a few tittie apps and Baby Shaker, Apple has reversed itself on nearly every banned app I can think of.



    The fools who tie themselves into Gordian Knots of Apple Hating Illogic trying to equate dumb App Store bans with the Microsoft of the past are wasting their time and clearly haven't a clue about the tactics and excesses that MS stooped to trying to dominate EVERY market imaginable.



    Apple has no desire to take over the world, only create the best experience possible for their users. Yes, Apple fucks up occasionally, but there's a HUGE difference.
  • Reply 17 of 130
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lewchenko View Post


    Nobody is complaining about that part. They are complaining about Apple's response since the issue was discovered.



    ie. Hold it Different. Its all your fault.

    ie. Poor engineering (lets not admit we should have put a sealant over the antenna bridge)

    ie. Releasing a fix which isnt a fix at all... just reports the bars differently. You will still lose calls.

    ie. Telling their reps not to give complaining customers rubber bumpers, but ripping them off to the tune of $30 for a $1 piece of rubber.

    ie. They would rather you returned your faulty handset than give you a cheap piece of rubber.



    I love their innovation too, but this time Apple have shown to all that they treat their customers with contempt.



    Your rather obvious bias shows in almost every line. Practically everything you say here is over-hyped or exaggerated, or based on no actual information.



    Your reference to a fix not being a proper fix when it isn't even out yet is kind of amusing, and despite the big words I don't think you know what "put a sealant over the antenna bridge" even means, or realise how nonsensical that statement is.



    Almost every word in your post is dripping with anger. As "the Holy Stephen" might say ...



    "... calm down, you are just getting over-excited by some Internet rumours."
  • Reply 18 of 130
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post


    I would rather see ads in an app than to pay for it with my money.



    If I NEVER saw another ad in my entire life, I couldn't be happier.



    I'll pay a few bucks to avoid as much of that crap as possible.



    Hell, I go out of my way to find logo-free clothing. (Unfortunately cycling gear doesn't qualify.)

    Why should I PAY someone to be their walking billboard,? It should be the reverse!
  • Reply 19 of 130
    Isn't it strange how the tech media covers App Store rejections like it's the end of the world as we know it yet they give a total free pass to Google denying developers the ability to sell apps in so many countries? The double standard extends to Google blocking wifi tethering applications in the market, over clocking tools, etc. If you have to jailbreak your Android device to install those apps it's the exact same situation as jailbreaking an iPhone to get exotic apps. Companies like HTC are starting to make it very difficult to root some Android devices. The current rooting procedure on my HTC Eris is something like a 20+ step process to work around the lock-ins HTC has put in place. Such a gigantic double standard here.
  • Reply 20 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lewchenko View Post


    ie. Hold it Different. Its all your fault.

    ie. Poor engineering (lets not admit we should have put a sealant over the antenna bridge)

    ie. Releasing a fix which isnt a fix at all... just reports the bars differently. You will still lose calls.

    ie. Telling their reps not to give complaining customers rubber bumpers, but ripping them off to the tune of $30 for a $1 piece of rubber.

    ie. They would rather you returned your faulty handset than give you a cheap piece of rubber.



    Life works out much better in the end when you actually strive to interpret real information, rather than being a tool of either the media or the interpretation of the universe that suits you best. In any case, I can tell you don't actually own an iPhone 4.
Sign In or Register to comment.