Every week Apple doesn't act on iPhone 4 antenna could cost $200M

Comments

• Reply 101 of 227
    rsmrsm Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

This is a design defect, noob. If you have an iPhone, it works great around Mommy and Daddy's house - oh, goody for you.

Now travel with it. You will soon find that your shiny new iPhone will drop calls in areas where there is not a tower around the corner. This is why it's a HARDWARE DEFECT. Guess what, if you have an iPhone - you too have the problem - you just are not smart enough to realize it yet.

Wow...guess what...your iPhone doesnt work...and it is never going to work...sucks for you.

YOU CAN'T HAVE THE iPhone 4...deal with it.

It is not a hardware defect no matter how much you and the others want to whine and cry and get all upset about it.

Apple wont do a recall....NOT GONNA HAPPEN....but you can keep praying for one.

Millions arent lining up to return their phones.

Consumer Reports looks like idiots because the have it as their highest rated phone yet they wont recommend it. LOL!

Call an Apple store and ask them if you can come down and pick up an iP4. they'll tell you to get in line....what does that tell you?????

Good grief people still just dont get it.
  • Reply 102 of 227
    The only way we will know if this issue is 'resolved' will be if Apple redesigns it or they don't. And that will take months.

In the meantime, I will wait with my 3Gs. The last thing I want is a 4G with a flaw and then Apple introduces a redesigned one and I'm left holding a flawed unit.

I sold my 1st gen iPhone for $80 eight months ago and upgraded to my 3Gs for a net of $120 cost instead of $200.

My plan was to sell my 3gs for around $250-$275 and make $50-$75 and upgrade to the 4G.

But now I have second thoughts.
  • Reply 103 of 227
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

If you bought the phone from AT&T and return it like I did, you WILL be charged a restocking fee.

I was not charged any restocking fee.
  • Reply 104 of 227
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rsm View Post

Wow...guess what...your iPhone doesnt work...and it is never going to work...sucks for you.

YOU CAN'T HAVE THE iPhone 4...deal with it.

It is not a hardware defect no matter how much you and the others want to whine and cry and get all upset about it.

Apple wont do a recall....NOT GONNA HAPPEN....but you can keep praying for one.

Millions arent lining up to return their phones.

Consumer Reports looks like idiots because the have it as their highest rated phone yet they wont recommend it. LOL!

Call an Apple store and ask them if you can come down and pick up an iP4. they'll tell you to get in line....what does that tell you?????

Good grief people still just dont get it.

You're right, it's not a hardware defect.

The hardware is working exactly as science tells us it should.

This is a design flaw.

People are lining up to buy the phone because many are unaware of this issue.

Don't believe me?

Ask someone in an Apple store buying an ip4 if they know about the issue.

Also, it's more than just a phone.

It's still a great little product with all it's other features.

You look like an idiot for not understanding the actions of consumer reports

and also for commenting like this.
  • Reply 105 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thespaz View Post

I think the reason people aren't returning their iPhones just yet is:

1. It's still an amazing piece of tech (if held right). HD video camera, Facetime, Retina Display, blazing speed

2. People are still within their 30 days and they're waiting for some sort of fix or response from Apple.

3. It doesn't bother some people enough to return it. They just learn to hold it differently.

4. People in high signal areas will never know that something is wrong with their iPhone 4.

I returned mine and now I'm back to being happy again. I'm using my iPhone 3G on a go-phone plan from AT&T and I've got 2.2.1 firmware loaded on it. I couldn't be happier right now.

bingo
  • Reply 106 of 227
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

If this were a TV that dropped TV shows without warning whenever you entered the room; or a car that randomly stopped while being driven - would you expect anything other than a re-call and the produce repaired?

I paid an early termination fee to leave Verizon - that was my decision, based upon the belief that the 4th Generation iPhone would be a solid product. I then ordered my iPhone through AT&T, because Apple's website was woefully inadequate to handle the demand that the iPhone created.

Now, I have a phone that does not operate as advertized, it drops calls in areas where the reception is poor (ie. where I work). On the desk, it works fine; but if I dare to pick it up - the signal goes from 4 bars to No Signal.

I have since purchased a case, and disabling the 3G has given me improved reception - but this isn't what was advertized, and this is not what I was would think would be an acceptable product. If I try to return the product, I'm still out my early termination cost from Verizon (significant), a restocking fee from AT&T (minor, but irritating) and then will be forced into taking a phone I do NOT want (Apple 3GS) for the remainder of the 2 yr committment.

I see no reason why this was not discovered during testing, and I'm an engineer with over 25 yrs experience, working in R&D, Manufacturing and Testing. I find it very suspicious that Apple would say that this came as a surprise, this indicates that either Apple's official stance is to have no integrity and give an outright 'Lie' as their official stance; or they are horribly inept at product test. I don't believe that they are inept.

No one loves a liar.

You are so full of shit. We can smell you a Droid mile away. All your posts smell of BS propaganda.
    Quote:

but if I dare to pick it up - the signal goes from 4 bars to No Signal.

You just gave yourself away there. You think anyone actually believes that except for the other trolls on this site? Funny how my friends and I can hold iPhone 4s while enjoying the very accurate turn by turn GPS and make crystal clear calls without any interruptions.
  • Reply 107 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

The expected software update is a COSMETIC change only that deals with the signal bar display. It will have zero affect on the dropped call issue.

First: SJ Sharks Fan...

What Apple has discussed is a cosmetic change. But, I suspect that if "changing the bar display" was all the update did-- we would have already seen it.

There are 2 other potential issues relating to signal and call dropping:

1) the proximity sensor?

2) the handoff between 3G and 2G when the signal strength is low.

I haven't investigated the proximity sensor issue and have nothing to say.

On the 3G/2G handoff, several users have reported that the iP4 (compared to the 3G or 3GS) attempts to hold on to the 3G connection and drops the call before it handsoff to 2G. This only really occurs where the 3G signal is weak or marginal. Some have stated that turning 3G off on the iP4 resolves the issue.

That leads me to believe that there is an issue with the 3G/2G handoff related to dropped calls. This could be exacerbated in the eye of the user when the 3G signal is erroneously reported as being strong.

Unless the 2G or 3G radios are defective, I suspect that the:

-- detection of signal strength of both 3G and 2G

-- averaging of signal strengths (over time) to determine which radio to use

-- the actual handoff (up or down)

are all performed in software and/or radio drivers.

That, coupled with the fact that we've seen no software update to correct "bars" issue, makes me think that Apple is changing the software to reduce "dropped calls" as well as display the "bars" correctly.

My experience with Apple, over many years, tells me that they will "do things in software" that others do with hardware only. This gives Apple the ability to "tweak" the hardware instead of replacing it.

• Reply 108 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Funny how my friends and I can hold iPhone 4s while enjoying the very accurate turn by turn GPS and make crystal clear calls without any interruptions.

From my understanding, this is where the software update will come in. See, yours doesn't drop as much as his because you're in an area with better reception. He says it drops by 4 bars, but since he might have never even really had 4 bars to begin with, he might really only be dropping by the equivalent of 1 bar, but it's enough to kill his connection. The software update that will accurately show his reception might leave him looking at only 1 bar to begin with instead of 4.

So just because some people experience this a bit more intense than you, it doesn't mean what they're saying is suddenly proven false
  • Reply 109 of 227
    Quote:

The ONLY reason to remove a Diagnostic utility, is to make that data unavailable. Why would you intentionally hide data on how a phone is performing, unless you had data you did not want shared?

Emphasis mine!

Could it be that the diagnostic utility needs to be rewritten to support an additional radio band? To support different chips/drivers?

• Reply 110 of 227
    rsmrsm Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

You're right, it's not a hardware defect.

The hardware is working exactly as science tells us it should.

This is a design flaw.

People are lining up to buy the phone because many are unaware of this issue.

Don't believe me?

Ask someone in an Apple store buying an ip4 if they know about the issue.

Also, it's more than just a phone.

It's still a great little product with all it's other features.

You look like an idiot for not understanding the actions of consumer reports

and also for commenting like this.

Hey Braniac...you would have to be living under a rock not to have heard about the antenna issue and the iP4. It has had massive media coverage since DAY ONE.

You know how ridiculous this statement is: "People are lining up to buy the phone because many are unaware of this issue." So you are saying peoples phones are working so well that they dont realize they arent working well?/ OMG that is comedy gold. Are you related to Bagdad Bob?

I along with many mainstream business and tech journals are ridiculing CR for their seemingly incongruous position.

Keep on banginig the drum...all you will end up with is a sore arm!

Enjoy your Droid!!!
  • Reply 111 of 227
    fjpoblamfjpoblam Posts: 126member
    (I guess I haven't logged into Appleinsider for awhile. I thought I recalled a little more civilized debate than I'm seeing this time, but I fully expect someone to gripe at me for saying I don't see it now.) \

So what do you folks think? I was very interested in a CNet news article I saw yesterday in which was estimated an iPhone recall would cost $1.5 billion, versus the very puny cost of $29 per phone for a free case for current owners.

I was further interested in the analysis (quotes in the same CNet article) by Bernstein Research analyst Toni Sacconaghi regarding AAPL's "emerging pattern of hubris" and its effect on AAPL stock values. If you're interested, the CNet article is at http://is.gd/drMAz

Yes, I saw this morning also the article in which the results of the Consumer Reports study were challenged: http://is.gd/drNep

You think all this will, simply, blow over? Or is AAPL digging itself into a deep hole?
  • Reply 112 of 227
    Quote:

If this were a TV that dropped TV shows without warning whenever you entered the room; or a car that randomly stopped while being driven - would you expect anything other than a re-call and the produce repaired?

I paid an early termination fee to leave Verizon - that was my decision, based upon the belief that the 4th Generation iPhone would be a solid product. I then ordered my iPhone through AT&T, because Apple's website was woefully inadequate to handle the demand that the iPhone created.

Now, I have a phone that does not operate as advertized, it drops calls in areas where the reception is poor (ie. where I work). On the desk, it works fine; but if I dare to pick it up - the signal goes from 4 bars to No Signal.

I have since purchased a case, and disabling the 3G has given me improved reception - but this isn't what was advertized, and this is not what I was would think would be an acceptable product. If I try to return the product, I'm still out my early termination cost from Verizon (significant), a restocking fee from AT&T (minor, but irritating) and then will be forced into taking a phone I do NOT want (Apple 3GS) for the remainder of the 2 yr committment.

I see no reason why this was not discovered during testing, and I'm an engineer with over 25 yrs experience, working in R&D, Manufacturing and Testing. I find it very suspicious that Apple would say that this came as a surprise, this indicates that either Apple's official stance is to have no integrity and give an outright 'Lie' as their official stance; or they are horribly inept at product test. I don't believe that they are inept.

No one loves a liar.

Well then join the class action suit and wait for your free iphone bumper within 3 years.

But don't try to be selfish and try to file your own lawsuit.
  • Reply 113 of 227
    jumperjumper Posts: 34member
    Quote:

No one loves a liar.

Moron--- Just take it back.... You sound like the guy who keeps hitting his head against a wall then complains that he has a headache. TAKE IT BACK IF YOU DONT LIKE IT
  • Reply 114 of 227
    dominoxmldominoxml Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

it wasn't out of disrespect for the victims, but rather out of disrespect for the illogical bs that was posted earlier about needing to be affected by the antenna issue in order to comment on it. Obviously if someone dies in a car crash, they can't comment.

Can't You just admit that You overshooted the mark instead of presenting such a pseudo intellectual reasoning trying to point the finger to others?
  • Reply 115 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

return it. If you pass the 30 days to return and have issues and are still whining about it...you're the problem, not the device.

+++ qft

• Reply 116 of 227
    Quote:

This is a design defect, noob. If you have an iPhone, it works great around Mommy and Daddy's house - oh, goody for you.

Now travel with it. You will soon find that your shiny new iPhone will drop calls in areas where there is not a tower around the corner. This is why it's a HARDWARE DEFECT. Guess what, if you have an iPhone - you too have the problem - you just are not smart enough to realize it yet.

Like the other guy said. Not happy with it, return it. get a new phone. End of all your problems.
  • Reply 117 of 227
    trrosentrrosen Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Would really like some independant verfication (one point does not a trend make) that its only 'certain' ph4's. I would hope Apple would be very interested in your situation.

IMO - iphones in general don't work well in weak signal areas (ie why they call it weak signal), but there sure is alot of comments / antedotal test evidence its worse than 3GS- when touch on that seam.

Engadget Noted on day one that they had one phone that exhibited the problem and one didn't. It is NOT a design issue it does NOT affect all (or even most) iPhones.
  • Reply 118 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

As a stockholder, I am very worried. Everybody knows the AI forum steers public opinion of technology. I fear that...are you ready...wait for it....

The iPhone is DOOMED!

You wanted to hold stocks, now deal with it. Thats a risk you gotta take right?
  • Reply 119 of 227
    The reality is that the antennas are now external, meaning there is no layer of insulation between a user and the antenna. I wonder if radiation from the cell phone is now more profound? Perhaps when we all have brain tumors in 30 years time they will have perfected chemotherapy.
  • Reply 120 of 227
    iluomoiluomo Posts: 25member
    First, I've got one and it rocks. Not only is it amazing in terms of design and functionality, I'm almost ashamed to say it has definitely improved my reception in San Francisco, one of the known bad spots for iPhone call dropping. I still drop calls in places I already know about that have horrible reception, but overall it is a measurably better than my old 3GS.

With that said, at first I was dismissive of all the complaints. Sure, I could and can make the bars drop by holding it in the particular way described. Ok, don't hold it that way. The wide spread reception problem wasn't happening to me, so it must be the typical complaining. I thought (and still think) Consumer Reports was particularly opportunistic in the smarmy way it declared it could not recommend iPhone 4.

But then one of my clients (I do Mac support) told me, with a sort of a hangdog look that her new one dropped calls all the time. This gave me pause. Now, reading all this from multiple users who are obviously not just typical whiners, I believe it's a very serious problem. I feel your pain. When I complained to some about my 3GS reception problem, some dismissed it. Ultimately, I stood in line 3.25 hrs to get the iPhone 4 almost exclusively because that reception issue was driving me insane. I feel very lucky that it has made a difference now that I hear so many are having problems.

I really hope Apple will get out in front of this issue and make things right somehow. I don't know how they will, but they've got the brainpower to do it if they set their minds to it. I would hate to see this significantly damage the amazing momentum they've got going around the iPhone.

Good luck to those of you having this issue. I hope it gets solved to your satisfaction.