Apple engineer warned Steve Jobs about iPhone 4 reception last year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Careful. You'll be -- you are - discredited.

No doubt. No big deal.
  • Reply 22 of 137
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winst View Post

Also a "visual feedback" sometimes causes more confusion than any actual problems. Will people still think there is a signal drop if the bars don't change?

I wish Apple would just stop putting a signal strength icon on the iPhone. It is not accurate and it confuses the average user.

C'mon, Apple. The meter just clutters up the UI!
  • Reply 23 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

Bloomberg is basically a tabloid with all the random crap rumors the put out. People will cite to anything to get their point across.

Exhibit One.
  • Reply 24 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

That website is owned by Microsoft.

Yeah, and Business Week is owned by Bloomberg, who as Mayor of the Big Apple has always held a grudge against the company that stole his city's name.

/sarcasm.

Get a grip (or go spend your time searching for the bogeyman under your bed or that alien in your tooth-filling).
  • Reply 25 of 137
    87vert87vert Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Just validates the fact that Steve Jobs puts profits before anything else including the customers that keep his ass in mock-turtle neck sweaters. He has proven that he is no less a money grubbing scumbag like the rest of the corporate ignorati that play hard working customers for dummies. Signal bars my ass...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38260210...ence-wireless/

Profits before anything else? are you kidding me? He runs a business a business that is built on profits. What else is he supposed to care about?

If the customer has a problem he can either A) Not buy it B) If he bought one and has a problem return it or C) Shut up.
  • Reply 26 of 137
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stst0001 View Post

So no camera on iPad, yet clearly there appears to be a "mount" for it from tear down photos.

There is no camera because they could not get it to function properly - at all.

Fired the engineer in charge of camera.

Brought in new Engineer who within 1 week said the problem was with the Industrial Design:

- the mounting needed to change

- the material coating was causing reflections in to camera and needed to change as well

Apparently that was not well received and he was almost fired as well.

But apparently they came to their senses and realized he was right.

And your source is? Some Android fanboi?
  • Reply 27 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I

But hasn't anyone learned anything about putting their faith in unconfirmed rumors put forward by bloggers?

It cracks me up how people will believe some unnamed source, rather than believing Apple's official announcements.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Twas ever thus!
  • Reply 28 of 137
    Quote:

Bloomberg is basically a tabloid with all the random crap rumors the put out. People will cite to anything to get their point across.

Anyways all this will be rendered moot when 4.0.1 includes a SOFTWARE fix that solves everyone's problems. Then Apple will use the Friday press conference to declare victory.

What other 'crap rumors' do they put out?

Btw, do you realize you are on a rumor site?

StLBluesFan was right..... Dr. Pavlov, meet dog...
  • Reply 29 of 137
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

LOL, I love those "not enough posts" posts.

I didn't call anyone an Apple apologist, did I? Whom did I name? Your post makes zero sense. A little touchy, aren't you? Too close to home?

Guess I'm just pointing out the obvious. Any contrary article results in the assasination of the source by numerous posters. Will happen here as a well. You don't think so?

Sometimes I think we would be better off without the internet...
  • Reply 30 of 137
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Why, give that man a promotion!
  • Reply 31 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

[/b] "Non-profit" is not synonymous with "moral, selfless, competent & uninterested in making money."

That is pretty much the opposite of what CR is all about. Moral? Give me a break!
  • Reply 32 of 137
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

That website is owned by Microsoft.

Not quite:

Quote:

Although the website msnbc.com and the cable channel MSNBC were launched together in 1996, they have always maintained separate corporate structures and news operations. NBC and Microsoft remain 50-50 partners in msnbc.com, but Microsoft has divested its stake in the television network. Msnbc.com is also editorially and financially separate from MSN, the portal site and online service operated by Microsoft, although msnbc.com acts as MSN's primary news provider.

MS at best owns 50 percent of MSNBC.com. They are partners with NBC.
  • Reply 33 of 137
    darendinodarendino Posts: 126member
    Steve Jobs is being impractical, how else can you hold a phone.
  • Reply 34 of 137
    thespazthespaz Posts: 71member
    What about the people who were fixing their reception problems by re-inserting the SIM card? What if the fix is something as simple as that?

There have also been reports that people buying iPhone 4's later in the production that are noticing that the issue has cleared up for them.

I know that I'm not about to buy another one until I know that the problem is solved.
  • Reply 35 of 137
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Sometimes an engineer's job is to communicate the business / ops reason why his or her finding is important.

When Shuttle Columbia blew up, an engineer was "concerned" but failed at communication.

When New Orleans flooded, engineers knew it would flood but they failed to communicate.

If this guy thinks he is impressing anybody, he isn't. Blame the iCEO? Unprofessional. Next time, do it right and don't hash out internal grudges in the press.
  • Reply 36 of 137
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Apple's prior-to-release knowledge of the issue is consistent with producing for the first time its own iPhone case (bumpers) and omitting Field Test Mode from iOS 4.

Consistent with? I think you mean "I would like to subscribe to a conspiracy theory regarding them offering bumpers and omitting FTM from iOS4. I have nothing other than coincidence to support my claims, but that's what I think anyway."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

Every area where AT&T has server is a poor reception area! lol

I love Apple and their products (and have a number of them, but no iPhone because I hate AT&T service), but I think Steve's ego is getting a bit large and his attitude towards us little people is getting out of hand. Backup away from the God complex Steve.

Oh boy, here comes the Freudian psychoanalysis. Put down your copy of "On Narcissism" and realize that Steve's ego has nothing to do with this. There is some loss of signal on certain phones, coupled with an issue with the signal reporting system. Jobs "ego." Shit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Just validates the fact that Steve Jobs puts profits before anything else including the customers that keep his ass in mock-turtle neck sweaters. He has proven that he is no less a money grubbing scumbag like the rest of the corporate ignorati that play hard working customers for dummies. Signal bars my ass...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38260210...ence-wireless/

Dude. A money-grubbing scumbag? So that's how he's rebuilt Apple and delivered fantastic new products over the past 13 years--by giving a big "FUCK YOU" to Apple's customers?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If true, Apple needs to face the consequences.

Whaa...what the hell do you mean.."consequences?" I think we should stone them! Seriously, the worst case scenario is they tweak the design (probably already done) and give away free thirty-nine cent bumpers. The whole thing will cost them less than a month's fuel for the Gulfstream V.

Quote:

But hasn't anyone learned anything about putting their faith in unconfirmed rumors put forward by bloggers? Maybe if someone is willing to come forward and use their name, we might have a story here. Or maybe if Ruben or someone in a position to know confirms it?

Now, there we agree. The voice of reason, at last.
  • Reply 37 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Sometimes I think we would be better off without the internet...

I know what you mean. Most all of us are probably likeable folks and would get along swimmingly in a social situation. On an internet forum, not so much.
  • Reply 38 of 137
    eacummeacumm Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

Every area where AT&T has server is a poor reception area! lol

I love Apple and their products (and have a number of them, but no iPhone because I hate AT&T service), but I think Steve's ego is getting a bit large and his attitude towards us little people is getting out of hand. Backup away from the God complex Steve.

You must be a Verizon person, Well then like my son you must say Fu**ing Verizon a lot, because Verizon Stinks compared to AT&T.
  • Reply 39 of 137
    Quote:

And your source is? Some Android fanboi?

Sorry to burst your bubble. But it is a fact.

Demonstrates the approach. Steve - Industrial Design - Product Design - everyone else.

Challenging Industrial Design is not a good career move.
  • Reply 40 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Ok Apologists, line up to take your turn at discrediting the source.

The engineer is a communist working for Obama to destroy our country.